Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
These updates are getting short asf :HideThePain:
If there's ever a real path split then be prepared as it will only get shorter if you are thinking they are short now. Multi-splits are the bane of smaller updates on a particular path since each path requires attention that isn't noticed by another path. Big boy britches are likely required soon in regards to patience, but that's only my opinion and forecast.... which is worth Jack shit at the end of the day. Your mileage may vary. Regards.

Crimsonfiend76

Herald - Super Naked Ginger Cuddle Time
Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Considering we break up with Chelsea anyway, does losing that early point with her to get a point with Tiffany make any difference? I like her already and would rather not break up...especially if she ever gets tits near the size of her mom, but I get it...its part of the storyline. I just hope there is a way to get her back eventually.

Also given the number if LI's, is this a harem or just a game where we can date around and be with multiple girls (not literally simultaneously) and then just pick the one(s) we want to end up with?

Reactions: Before I Forget

Speedyg869

Oct 11, 2019
Was running "Off the Record [v0.4.1]" with OffTheRecord-0.4.1 - SanchoMod
I believe I was using 1606860_Off_the_Record_Ep_4._v0.4_Zoeys_Mod with "Off the Record 0.4-pc".

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/ep5.rpy", line 1136, in <module>
NameError: name 'ep4_apt_party_lewd_aur' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "ep5.rpyc", line 1136, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1893, in execute
if renpy.python.py_eval(condition):
File "renpy/python.py", line 2266, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2259, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "game/ep5.rpy", line 1136, in <module>
NameError: name 'ep4_apt_party_lewd_aur' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Tue Mar 8 20:41:21 2022

Any ideas?

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Just out of curiosity, is there any difference in how things go with Mi-sun if you give her the ultimatum to break up with her boyfriend vs. what I would assume to be just fuckbuddies while she cheats on her boyfriend with you? I'm kind of conflicted as I like her, but not sure if she dumps him, then we stay casual fuckbuddies or if she now becomes the MC's new girlfriend.

Considering we just broke up with Chelsea, and first day in the city we've already met a handful of new potential LI's I was hoping we could take a raincheck and ask Mi-sun to dump her bf later if we ever decide we want to actually date her? Still not sure if this VN will end up with a harem, poly, open or a solo girl relationship paths at the end...while I was surprised Mi-sun was pretty casual about admitting she has a boyfriend she doesn't like all that much and who she'd already cheated on with the MC twice, I'm not sure how I feel about sharing her with another guy...even though they obviously were together before the MC even met her.

First impressions early on....obviously still like Chelsea (and Tiffany for that matter), but since leaving I am interested in Mi-sun, Andrea and possibly Sia. I don't mind being friends with benefits with Ingrid or Aurora, but not really interested in anything more than that with either of them. Other than being unsure what paths are available, I'm enjoying everything else so far.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Just out of curiosity, is there any difference in how things go with Mi-sun if you give her the ultimatum to break up with her boyfriend vs. what I would assume to be just fuckbuddies while she cheats on her boyfriend with you? I'm kind of conflicted as I like her, but not sure if she dumps him, then we stay casual fuckbuddies or if she now becomes the MC's new girlfriend.

Considering we just broke up with Chelsea, and first day in the city we've already met a handful of new potential LI's I was hoping we could take a raincheck and ask Mi-sun to dump her bf later if we ever decide we want to actually date her? Still not sure if this VN will end up with a harem, poly, open or a solo girl relationship paths at the end...while I was surprised Mi-sun was pretty casual about admitting she has a boyfriend she doesn't like all that much and who she'd already cheated on with the MC twice, I'm not sure how I feel about sharing her with another guy...even though they obviously were together before the MC even met her.
I don't have the game to hand but from vague memory, the scene where she and the MC are banging at her place goes slightly differently depending on your choices for their relationship. It's been a while since I played this though.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Really liked the game, especially that extended flashback scene with Chelsea and the first time her and the MC went all the way. And just like that, she jumps back on top of my favorites, but Andrea would have been the top had we gone all the way with her instead. Other than that, I'm really liking Sia and Mi-sun as well, even though I'm not sure I can trust being serious with Mi-sun given her being a cheater with no remorse.

I'm kind of worried how dark and fucked up the whole Eva storyline is going to go and is it me, or was chapter 5 like super short? All the other chapters felt like they had a good amount of content in them, but other than the hangout in the apartment, and the flashback with Chels, I was disappointed it was already over. I am wondering if we tell Aurora we like her back (which I did), if that will lead to us casually dating or maybe even a poly relationship until she's able to get over her own traumatic past?

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I finally finished this latest update. I have to say that I'm not sure whether I have a favorite girl. There are some that we either just don't know well enough and/or who seem clearly like side girls (Crystal, Tiffany, Myrtle, etc.) but of all of the primary LIs, I think I have grown attached to them all. I have — 8? I think — different playthroughs, one for each girl including those less well-known that I mentioned before.

I have to say that IMO Deadbeat has done an excellent job of characterization. One of the better indicators of a writer's skill is how well they are able to tie an audience to their story. For instance, the original success of "War of the Worlds" was primarily not because of its characters but its epic nature and for how real everyone thought it was. Broadcast on the radio originally in such a way that many mistook it for reality and not a radio show practically immediately made everyone connect to it: would this terror come to their city and endanger their loved ones? In Off the Record, this connection to the audience is achieved in the more traditional method of how its characters are fleshed out.

How well players connect with characters is completely subjective generally, of course, although there are always specific things like personality types that tend to connect with a larger audience. And some aspects of any game — an event or consequence of action, a feeling of lack of control, frustrating mechanics — can lessen the enjoyment overall. But speaking for myself, I haven't had any problem with anything in the game so far.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks for sharing your game with us, Deadbeat. I always look forward to each new release and wish you great success going forward.

Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

Crimsonfiend76

Donor
Sep 8, 2020
I finally finished this latest update. I have to say that I'm not sure whether I have a favorite girl. There are some that we either just don't know well enough and/or who seem clearly like side girls (Crystal, Tiffany, Myrtle, etc.) but of all of the primary LIs, I think I have grown attached to them all. I have — 8? I think — different playthroughs, one for each girl including those less well-known that I mentioned before.

I have to say that IMO Deadbeat has done an excellent job of characterization. One of the better indicators of a writer's skill is how well they are able to tie an audience to their story. For instance, the original success of "War of the Worlds" was primarily not because of its characters but its epic nature and for how real everyone thought it was. Broadcast on the radio originally in such a way that many mistook it for reality and not a radio show practically immediately made everyone connect to it: would this terror come to their city and endanger their loved ones? In Off the Record, this connection to the audience is achieved in the more traditional method of how its characters are fleshed out.

How well players connect with characters is completely subjective generally, of course, although there are always specific things like personality types that tend to connect with a larger audience. And some aspects of any game — an event or consequence of action, a feeling of lack of control, frustrating mechanics — can lessen the enjoyment overall. But speaking for myself, I haven't had any problem with anything in the game so far.
Thanks for sharing your game with us, Deadbeat. I always look forward to each new release and wish you great success going forward.
I'm still unsure of just what type of game/paths are available? Is this meant to be one of those games where the MC dates around before realizing he either still loves his ex and wants to get back together with her or just picks a random new girl from the pool of LIs he's currently dating to end up with at the end? Will there be an actual harem path or a modified mini-harem/thouple/poly-relationship option?

I did like how sheepish and embarrassed the MC got during his date with Andrea. Specifically, the part when she questioned if he had even bothered to share his growing feelings of discontent or cold feet with Chelsea before breaking it off with her. His response was curious and telling that he was committed to breaking up while keeping his feelings and thoughts bottled in rather than trust Chelsea enough to have an honest talk with her about how he felt their relationship was progressing and his concerns/feelings and if their relationship was salvageable.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I'm still unsure of just what type of game/paths are available? Is this meant to be one of those games where the MC dates around before realizing he either still loves his ex and wants to get back together with her or just picks a random new girl from the pool of LIs he's currently dating to end up with at the end? Will there be an actual harem path or a modified mini-harem/thouple/poly-relationship option?

I did like how sheepish and embarrassed the MC got during his date with Andrea. Specifically, the part when she questioned if he had even bothered to share his growing feelings of discontent or cold feet with Chelsea before breaking it off with her. His response was curious and telling that he was committed to breaking up while keeping his feelings and thoughts bottled in rather than trust Chelsea enough to have an honest talk with her about how he felt their relationship was progressing and his concerns/feelings and if their relationship was salvageable.

blademaster89

Aug 4, 2017
hello, I am getting a loop error because of this

Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 20669, in <module>
NameError: name 'apt_party_start_talk_si' is not defined

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 20668, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1674, in execute
    item_arguments.append(self.item_arguments[i].evaluate())
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 189, in evaluate
    kwargs[k] = renpy.python.py_eval(v, locals=scope)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Fri Mar 11 04:55:08 2022
basically if I ignore it the game loops to this dialogue everytime.

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
hello, I am getting a loop error because of this

Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 20668, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1674, in execute
    item_arguments.append(self.item_arguments[i].evaluate())
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 189, in evaluate
    kwargs[k] = renpy.python.py_eval(v, locals=scope)

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Fri Mar 11 04:55:08 2022
basically if I ignore it the game loops to this dialogue everytime.
Do you use any mods? Cause I've checked this part of the code and it seems fine to me,
Code:
apt_party_start_talk_si
is defined.
In any case, maybe you can load earlier and not talk to Sia in that particular scene?

blademaster89

Aug 4, 2017
Do you use any mods? Cause I've checked this part of the code and it seems fine to me,
Code:
apt_party_start_talk_si
is defined.
In any case, maybe you can load earlier and not talk to Sia in that particular scene?
Yes I use Sancho mod and I also downloaded the compressed version of the game, okay I will try that by not talking to Sia. I'll let you know what happens next :)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Or maybe Sancho1969 himself will save the day? :) At least he definitely knows Ren'Py way better than I do.
Good afternoon. Pls give me a minute or two, this is not a mod issue but shouldn't be an OEM issue either, likely wasn't a clean install of the latest VN (some folks mistakenly install into a prior version which can cause numerous issues of course). I'll open the project and be back in a bit...

blademaster89 While I do this do me a favor. Install the latest Off the Record into a new/clean directory/folder, then either install or don't install the mod (your choice, doesn't matter), load a save prior to your error and report back please. Thank you.

-----------
Edit: The variable is clearly defined starting in v040 builds default apt_party_start_talk_si = False. It was a new variable starting with that version (of course) and not in prior versions. The most common ways the above error could be a result is by either opening a v040 or later save in a pre-v040 build, or the user has tried to install v040 or later INSIDE a pre-v040 build (never do this).

The fix: Install a new clean copy of the current VN (insuring that the download compressed or not is the correct version). Initiate (start) the VN from that new installation. Done. Bottom line: you will NOT get that variable error in a properly installed build that's v040 or later (current build is v041. Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEKERKKK

blademaster89

Aug 4, 2017
Good afternoon. Pls give me a minute or two, this is not a mod issue but shouldn't be an OEM issue either, likely wasn't a clean install of the latest VN (some folks mistakenly install into a prior version which can cause numerous issues of course). I'll open the project and be back in a bit...

blademaster89 While I do this do me a favor. Install the latest Off the Record into a new/clean directory/folder, then either install or don't install the mod (your choice, doesn't matter), load a save prior to your error and report back please. Thank you.

-----------
Edit: The variable is clearly defined starting in v040 builds default apt_party_start_talk_si = False. It was a new variable starting with that version (of course) and not in prior versions. The most common ways the above error could be a result is by either opening a v040 or later save in a pre-v040 build, or the user has tried to install v040 or later INSIDE a pre-v040 build (never do this).

The fix: Install a new clean copy of the current VN (insuring that the download compressed or not is the correct version). Initiate (start) the VN from that new installation. Done. Bottom line: you will NOT get that variable error in a properly installed build that's v040 or later (current build is v041. Regards.
Okay, I will download the compressed version again, but I do install all my games separately, as in I unrar the game into a new separate folder, distinct from the previous one since I'm prone to delete the previous versions to save space :)

can this be a compressed version issue?

My apologies if I am unable to explain properly what I'm facing, I'll attach a screenshot as to where I am exactly stuck.

The first image is is right after I get errors regarding line 20669 and 20670.
the next image is the last one before it loops to error in line 20669 and 20670 again.

this is error 20670

Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 20670, in <module>

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 20670, in script

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Sat Mar 12 02:30:08 2022
the previous one was posted earlier by me.

EDIT: I deleted the game and downloaded it again, did a fresh install as suggested and tried playing from a save that opened (in middle of a sex scene between Me-sun) since I could not load any other save without the mod installed. when I came up to the " party scene" in the non modded version of the game I was presented with this option (3rd image) but when I installed the mod I was not presented with that option and instead I was directly taken to " talk with sia " which co-relate to the pictures I posted before, I never got that option, but got it without the mod installed.

In other words, I understand the loop now, it was because I had the option to talk with everyone before I proceeded but in the modded version of the game, that option was not presented, which resulted in the loop.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, I will download the compressed version again, but I do install all my games separately, as in I unrar the game into a new separate folder, distinct from the previous one since I'm prone to delete the previous versions to save space :)

can this be a compressed version issue?

My apologies if I am unable to explain properly what I'm facing, I'll attach a screenshot as to where I am exactly stuck.

The first image is is right after I get errors regarding line 20669 and 20670.
the next image is the last one before it loops to error in line 20669 and 20670 again.

this is error 20670

Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 20670, in script

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.8.1895
Sat Mar 12 02:30:08 2022
the previous one was posted earlier by me.
The screenshots don't matter really, I can see the issue. The VN build you are playing doesn't recognize the required variable, but seeing that's the case you will have additional issues with other variables. I know the compressed version that CircleJerker supplied is absolutely 100% correct. I not only downloaded it to make sure, I also used it during the port of SanchoMod. I would write you a simple script that would resolve this one issue but considering thousands of folks have used not only the compressed but also the mod, we need to narrow down what the issue is on your platform. FWIW I loaded that exact scene on my end with no issue, tracking the variable from game start until the end of that particular "Talk to... Proceed" menu choice round.

Another question while you install a fresh version and test, are you using an old save or did this occur during a playthrough from scratch? Try another save from v040 if you have one and if you wish you can attach your borked save and I'll load it on my end two ways: 1) loaded in just the raw compressed VN, virgin of mod(s) and 2) loaded in compressed with SanchoMod installed.

• Red Heart
Reactions: "CJ"
4.40 star(s) 77 Votes