VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Trapezio

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
Just because you can live with that in Germany doesn't mean everywhere is like that you can barely cover rent with that where I'm at. Hence Depends where you live. There is a world outside of Germany you know.
You made my day, dude. There is a world outside of tax havens, you know.

Reactions: hiya02

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
What is this discussion here? With the patrons the dev has he can't make a living out of it either way so the game is a hobby and not every person treats a hobby in a way that they spend hours after work on their hobby. I don't know if stencil has a family, which would also need extra attention.

To end your discussion: No one, with a normal job that pays good, will quit his job for developing if he earns below a certain threshhold and even then its not necessarily a smart thing to do because the income from patreon can break away pretty fast and fluctuates often.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
What is this discussion here? With the patrons the dev has he can't make a living out of it either way so the game is a hobby and not every person treats a hobby in a way that they spend hours after work on their hobby. I don't know if stencil has a family, which would also need extra attention.

To end your discussion: No one, with a normal job that pays good, will quit his job for developing if he earns below a certain threshhold and even then its not necessarily a smart thing to do because the income from patreon can break away pretty fast and fluctuates often.
Exactly, I did not want to debate here in which countries $ 2,000 is enough to make a living. The point is that stencilbits with 160 patrons si nowhere near that amount, especially when he pauses the billing cycle approximately half the time , so Offcuts is probably more of a hobby project than a significant source of income for him. And for such a project 3 completed paths and another path almost done is good progress, although the times between updates are very long.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Exactly, I did not want to debate here in which countries $ 2,000 is enough to make a living. The point is that stencilbits with 160 patrons si nowhere near that amount, especially when he pauses the billing cycle approximately half the time , so Offcuts is probably more of a hobby project than a significant source of income for him. And for such a project 3 completed paths and another path almost done is good progress, although the times between updates are very long.
That comes on top of it all. People complain about the long time updates need but they ignore the fact that it is always a full path, which takes devs in other games even longer.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Of course he wants money or he wouldn't be going on Steam.

The one and only reason he only has 160 patrons is because his development cycle is slow as fuck. There aren't many people that are willing to subscribe to a dev that manages 1 update a year.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018

The one and only reason he only has 160 patrons is because his development cycle is slow as fuck. There aren't many people that are willing to subscribe to a dev that manages 1 update a year.
Given the latest Patreon update regarding a Steam release, looks like they also will be moving towards smaller partial updates as well. Honestly though the dev could have easily broke a few thousand patrons making thousands a month. They have the talent and story to do so but the release schedule is what screwed that up.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019

Well, who doesn't want money? When a hobby earns you a few dollars, it's a nice bonus.

For many people who have a job with a decent income a hobby that generates little income is a better option than trying to turn a hobby into something like part-time job with more invested effort and higher income.

Reactions: Carpe Stultus

hrvoje89

mischievous
Donor
May 27, 2017
You Europeans are more arrogant than Americans. When any country outside of Europe has better living conditions and lifestyle it's a tax haven. The world doesn't have to adhere to what you think you know.
You do know Bermuda is part of UK, Right? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: fortuna95

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Given the latest Patreon update regarding a Steam release, looks like they also will be moving towards smaller partial updates as well. Honestly though the dev could have easily broke a few thousand patrons making thousands a month. They have the talent and story to do so but the release schedule is what screwed that up.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There are enough games out there that are also good, if not better, that also don't make thousands of $$$ besides being way faster due to smaller updates, while trash games make a shitload. It all depends on the taste of patrons and not on how good a dev is. Patreon is simply weird.

Reactions: sonhot

Qmil679

Q / Motherlover
Donor
Mar 13, 2019
So, what are the chances nothing comes out tomorrow? 90%?
I have lost my faith that the new update will ever come out. :confused: Over a year without updates. The game and art in this game are awesome.. but making one update that long is not too good in my opinion. I understand that Dev wants to do everything right, but there are many Devs who can handle even more demanding games and it takes them several months. (DPC for example)

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
I have lost my faith that the new update will ever come out. :confused: Over a year without updates. The game and art in this game are awesome.. but making one update that long is not too good in my opinion. I understand that Dev wants to do everything right, but there are many Devs who can handle even more demanding games and it takes them several months. (DPC for example)
At least stencil never took money during this year from patrons ...some close their channel to the no patrons kicking them out ( your DPC for example) ;)

Reactions: DullName and Ragnar

Specter2470

Aug 12, 2019
Anyone have any idea when the next update will come out, if EVER?
I'm starting to despair this game has been abandoned.
If so, it's a real shame - I truly loved the game. The story was good, the girls are fucking HOT and it has incredible potential (if only the dev would work on it).

iopq

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone have any idea when the next update will come out, if EVER?
I'm starting to despair this game has been abandoned.
If so, it's a real shame - I truly loved the game. The story was good, the girls are fucking HOT and it has incredible potential (if only the dev would work on it).
The game hasn't been abandoned, he still posts monthly updates. Next should be soon.
It will come out when it's ready.

The guy is pretty transparent and keeps halting his Patreon, so I don't see the problem.

It's not his main job, so the sense of entitlement and demand that gets thrown around is perplexing.

Tackling animation and rendering by yourself with no background can be a pretty daunting task.
I'm actually interested to see how far he's come with it.

Warhawk1

Apr 30, 2019
The game hasn't been abandoned, he still posts monthly updates. Next should be soon.
It will come out when it's ready.

The guy is pretty transparent and keeps halting his Patreon, so I don't see the problem.

It's not his main job, so the sense of entitlement and demand that gets thrown around is perplexing.

Tackling animation and rendering by yourself with no background can be a pretty daunting task.
I'm actually interested to see how far he's come with it.
If you're so "perlexed" by stuff by see on this thread,you probably wouldn't last 5 mins in some of the other active threads.I don't believe people shouldn't complain or stop worrying about the game just because he isn't taking payments.It's a really great game and deserves to get worked on a lot more.TBH I believe he keeps dumping the guilt of not working on it by not taking payments(Yes,he had some work problems or something,but the dev reports for the last 5-6 months have been almost the same).I'd rather have him take payment and work on the game more.It's been what?like almost 2 years since the last content update,so obviously everyone wanna see something.

Westinaction

Apr 7, 2018
If you're so "perlexed" by stuff by see on this thread,you probably wouldn't last 5 mins in some of the other active threads.I don't believe people shouldn't complain or stop worrying about the game just because he isn't taking payments.It's a really great game and deserves to get worked on a lot more.TBH I believe he keeps dumping the guilt of not working on it by not taking payments(Yes,he had some work problems or something,but the dev reports for the last 5-6 months have been almost the same).I'd rather have him take payment and work on the game more.It's been what?like almost 2 years since the last content update,so obviously everyone wanna see something.
Exactly, there's different types of frustration. For example, people who get mad at DC on the SSaga thread are insane, because updates come out regularly every few months and he hosts near daily streams showing you whats being worked on. Meanwhile stencilbits hasn't had a real update going on two years now, and he keeps promising release dates that never materialize. If he just said "My life's too hectic for this game rn, it'll come someday, some year" fair enough. But don't keep jerking people's chains making promises you have no intention of keeping and thinking that sporadically pausing patreon payment makes up for that.

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes