VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Specter2470

Aug 12, 2019
The game hasn't been abandoned, he still posts monthly updates. Next should be soon.
It will come out when it's ready.

The guy is pretty transparent and keeps halting his Patreon, so I don't see the problem.

It's not his main job, so the sense of entitlement and demand that gets thrown around is perplexing.

Tackling animation and rendering by yourself with no background can be a pretty daunting task.
I'm actually interested to see how far he's come with it.
If I came across as "entitled", that was not my intent. I am merely perplexed, and I would say a bit frustrated, but it's only because I like this game so much.
Thank you for your reply.
Knowing he's still working on it and that we should see an update "soon" helps a lot.

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
tf.jpg
Monthly Update - Technobabble Edition

The end is near, and new 3D tech stuff promised for 0.4 is pretty much ready.

RedGifs limits the length to one minute so the video had to be a pretty quick one. Tech beta release is late by a week or two, but hopefully out at some point during next week. New 3D stuff can be (in theory) used to replace all currently used static images with real 3D content.

Currently, I can either render scenes into static images, videos or export them into interactive 3D-scenes (including any animations). Each format has its pros and cons, I'll list a few here (with + and -).

Static Images:

+Easy to create

+Small in size

+Supported everywhere

+High image quality

-Hard to change later. For example, changing the outfit of a character requires modifying and rendering all images again.

-Static, even minor changes in expressions etc. require another image.

Videos:

+Easy to handle

+Mostly supported, some issues on Mobile platforms (Android, iOS)

-Larger in size, unless heavily compressed or downscaled.

-Pre-rendered, no dynamic changes (poses, facial expressions etc.) possible.

3D scenes:

+Requires more from CPU and GPU

+Interactive stuff. Different camera angles, animations, expressions etc.

-Lower image quality (realtime renderer).

-Larger in size, but most assets can be heavily reused (some 3D scenes can be smaller than static image versions).

-No support on mobile platforms

Currently, 3D scenes will automatically fall back to static images if your computer/device doesn't support them. They can also be disabled from settings. I'm also investigating a possibility to download movies and/or 3D scenes later as separately packaged files, so those not interested can skip them as they increase the download size quite a bit.

The whole 3D export and rendering system can also be used if I decide to change the game engine from Ren'Py into something else (like Godot or Unity - maybe even Unreal Engine although that's a bit overkill). Interestingly - that version adds some new support for stuff like this, so we'll see where it goes. It also updated the rendering system, which might conflict with my system in some places, so there may be some nasty extra surprises on the way.

Anyway, the tech stuff is now mostly done and finished. It was a pretty interesting little project and I learned a lot - especially that writing a 3D renderer inside Ren'Py with Python is not that easy (or sane). Unfortunately, it did delay 0.4 more than I would have liked to, but maybe it will prove it's worth in the future. Or maybe I'll just silently drop it, who knows?

Now I can focus on pushing 0.4 out as soon as possible, fingers crossed. More content to come, including $10 special series continuation.

Like before, I'm not going to take any Patreon payments until 0.4 is out (I'll temporarily suspend my Patreon at the end of each month until then). It takes some stress off me so I can hopefully make a solid release and finish things properly.

The rest of the post is a mostly copy and paste from my last update for those who are new or want to be reminded what will be coming next. See you in the next post, thanks for your support!

--

So, TL;DR:

* Some new tech in 0.4: interactive 3D and pre-rendered movies, at least a few of each. When I get the pipeline (and my skills) working smoothly, next releases should have more.

* Test release planned at some point before the real release, testing animations etc.

* After 0.4 I will try out a bit faster release schedule with partial updates instead of releasing large, complete routes that take ages to finish. We'll see how it goes.

* Steam release at some point after 0.4 is out. Steam has been pretty random with adult games, so who knows what can happen.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
Rip last estimate of October 12-18, Seems like it wont be coming out until the end of this year at this point. Almost the same copy paste monthly since July. Also....

The whole 3D export and rendering system can also be used if I decide to change the game engine from Ren'Py into something else (like Godot or Unity - maybe even Unreal Engine although that's a bit overkill).
Hell no.

hirikumo

Nov 19, 2018
Rip last estimate of October 12-18, Seems like it wont be coming out until the end of this year at this point. Almost the same copy paste monthly since July. Also....

Hell no.
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm fairly noobish when it comes to this stuff, but I find Ren'py so much easier and convenient to use compared to other engines. Changing from it might be what runs me away from this game, not the long wait in between updates.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
I have lost my faith that the new update will ever come out. :confused: Over a year without updates. The game and art in this game are awesome.. but making one update that long is not too good in my opinion. I understand that Dev wants to do everything right, but there are many Devs who can handle even more demanding games and it takes them several months. (DPC for example)
Could you not compare a dev who does his game as hobby with someone who does it as main job? :rolleyes:

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
I kinda cant believe it..but looking at the gif of the 3d stuff...I kind of like the older 2d images better. Idk if the gif killed the quality more than just the negative aspect he mentioned, but for me the characters just looked way better in the older 2d model...it is kind of what gave the game its charm for me.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
This is not normal.

At most there have been 9 months between updates, the last story update was July 2019, it's been over a year and a half.

From a dev that was aiming for a Christmas 2019 release we're now coming up to Christmas 2020 and still no sign.
Also sucks that the last patreon post doesnt even hint at a possible release timeframe whether its in the next month or at least by the end of the year. Given the amount of dedication to the 3D stuff according to that post , seems like that's where most of the time has been spent this last 16 or so months.

boofless

Aug 3, 2017
I kinda cant believe it..but looking at the gif of the 3d stuff...I kind of like the older 2d images better. Idk if the gif killed the quality more than just the negative aspect he mentioned, but for me the characters just looked way better in the older 2d model...it is kind of what gave the game its charm for me.
Yeah, I like this game because of the WRITING.

I know as a side project you gotta go with whatever interests you, but the fishbowl/distortion/?? effect from V3 looked bad and I turned it off immediately. The sample animations don't do too much for me, and I really hope that dev time isn't wasted going back and animating past content.

As a player, the whole route dropping at once is great, and is much more pleasant and easy to keep track of than the stringing everyone along thing that a lot of games seem to do. Obviously it makes sense to switch to a more frequently release schedule from the whole "making money" perspective.

Steam version is an immediate purchase for me, even without a James route.

zzzzzzzzyk

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, I like this game because of the WRITING.

I know as a side project you gotta go with whatever interests you, but the fishbowl/distortion/?? effect from V3 looked bad and I turned it off immediately. The sample animations don't do too much for me, and I really hope that dev time isn't wasted going back and animating past content.

As a player, the whole route dropping at once is great, and is much more pleasant and easy to keep track of than the stringing everyone along thing that a lot of games seem to do. Obviously it makes sense to switch to a more frequently release schedule from the whole "making money" perspective.

Steam version is an immediate purchase for me, even without a James route.
me too! story is super

Gary Bertrand

Sep 30, 2017
Have to say i am disapointed in the dev over 1 year from last update only reason it dose not have abandoned tag is because he puts 1 screan shot a month on this site i love the game but now i am fed up with delay after delay going to delete game so i can install a game that has and gets updates sorry dev but i can only wait so long for updates

Spectresaga

Oct 26, 2018
Have to say i am disapointed in the dev over 1 year from last update only reason it dose not have abandoned tag is because he puts 1 screan shot a month on this site i love the game but now i am fed up with delay after delay going to delete game so i can install a game that has and gets updates sorry dev but i can only wait so long for updates
Well better late than never

m00nsh1ne

Feb 22, 2020
from the devs last post on Patreon it appears that the next version should be released pretty soon.. no exact date given but I'd say sometime in the next month. Hopefully there won't be any more delays that took as long as this one.

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
Over 1 year and 3 months. It's become a joke at this point especially knowing that this release is a single path.
True. First time posting here and I don't understand why it didn't get abandonned ?? I stopped counting the number of delays. This is becoming ridiculous.

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
True. First time posting here and I don't understand why it didn't get abandonned ?? I stopped counting the number of delays. This is becoming ridiculous.
No abandoned because dev post update progress/previews on Patreon sometimes

Reactions: Kakato

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
No abandoned because dev post update progress/previews on Patreon sometimes
True. It might be my first time commenting here, but I watch this thread regularly and read the comments. So, yeah, I know he usually post progress/previews, etc....I'll agree with you on that point. But man, this is just not right. An " On-hold " tag should at least be used, even if it's not the case. So many great games on F95 and so many hateful behaviors from the Devs... :/

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes