VN Ren'Py Abandoned Offcuts [v0.3.1] [stencilbits]

4.80 star(s) 77 Votes

Warhawk1

Apr 30, 2019

1612043288613.png

We are approaching the end of the month again, so it's time for the traditional monthly update! Unlike the previous monthly updates, this will be a short one as the end and release 0.4 is finally in sight. All content is now more or less ready, the only thing still in progress is editing, scripting and bug/typo hunting. I could be doing editing and tweaking forever as I'm never fully happy with the results, but I'll have to decide it's good enough at some point. I should be able to give a release date during February. I have also started dropping new content to Patreon again and I'll be doing that until 0.4 is out. Kind of a contend countdown to build up some excitement like I did with the previous releases.

Rest of the post is a copypaste,just like in the last few posts

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
Stencilbits:

Only ever updates when a storyline is complete.

Doesn't update for over a year.

Normies:

ABANDONED!!!!!!

Me a man of culture:

Is that possible animated scenes I hear? I say absolutely delightful.

Reactions: super.samuel3

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
jokes aside, people need to calm the fuck down. Like this dev has always done this, massive update and fkn ages until the next one.

While I get this one has been extremely long, they are doing animations now (or at least that is what I heard), so makes sense that it more than doubles their production time... cause well before they were doing stills. And animating...

So lets be conservative and say 12fps with a 3 second loop, that is 36 frames per pose, so lets say 5 poses per scene, which makes 180 rendered images, and that isn't including the cumshot (if it is animated), and isn't including the non-pron renders.

That is 180 renders per scene, when previously it would have only been 5-15 (up to 15 cause different angles of the same pose, we ignoring different angles for animation to keep it simple), so that is 180/15, which is 12 times more work on renders alone for this update, so however long it used to take for the rendering stage times it by 12 (and this is conservative).

Now this is if doing it bit by bit same way, there are ways to speed up the process and streamline it, but would still take way longer.

However.... if they doing animations... they aren't just doing it for new scenes... they gonna do it for old, so then you also have to take that into account as they go back and redo all the original content. (it is basically a remake at this point sex scene wise).

And that doesn't even touch any code touchups or stuff under the hood, this is purely on the CGs..... So yeah, a year and a half for that monumental amount of work... not the worst, most devs would produce not even half of that in the same time frame, but people praise em for it because they release incremental updates.

Stencil just unloads everything in a path at once on you so you don't have to wait once you get invested into that path that you just started cause guess what, is already finished.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Im sure the content is goin to be amazing as the work already is but Lord man, we been waiting on this since before the world was a different place. mask on, mask off, just stating the obvious but man . any time when its ready i guess
4 months away from 2 years since the last story content drop.

Covid was months away when we started waiting for this.

Reactions: Motoko Kusanagi

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
So he basically just milks money out of his patrons?
No, i'll give him his due he pauses his Patreon, I can't accuse him of being a milker he's just got a really shit work ethic.

The game is fantastic and by all rights should be one of the more popular on the site but after the first drop it was 9 months wait, then nearly a year and now we're close to 2 years for the fourth girl.

Dev claims he is going to put it on Steam soon and as a user of Steam for 11 years, if he keeps to this lazy as hell development cycle they will absolutely crucify him.

He needs to sort his shit out and put a LOT of work into his timing before he even considers selling this. If he carries on as he does now it's going to backfire horribly. His reputation here doesn't matter but once he gets shit on all over Steam no one will buy his stuff again. He isn't anywhere near ready for that kind of platform.

Motoko Kusanagi

Major
Donor
Aug 19, 2018
No, i'll give him his due he pauses his Patreon, I can't accuse him of being a milker he's just got a really shit work ethic.

The game is fantastic and by all rights should be one of the more popular on the site but after the first drop it was 9 months wait, then nearly a year and now we're close to 2 years for the fourth girl.

Dev claims he is going to put it on Steam soon and as a user of Steam for 11 years, if he keeps to this lazy as hell development cycle they will absolutely crucify him.

He needs to sort his shit out and put a LOT of work into his timing before he even considers selling this. If he carries on as he does now it's going to backfire horribly. His reputation here doesn't matter but once he gets shit on all over Steam no one will buy his stuff again. He isn't anywhere near ready for that kind of platform.
I feel like a broken record at this point in this thread but I feel as if that's what the dev is waiting for, to release everything on Steam at once and get it over with. If not, like you said its suicide by review process if the release the game with such gaps.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I feel like a broken record at this point in this thread but I feel as if that's what the dev is waiting for, to release everything on Steam at once and get it over with. If not, like you said its suicide by review process if the release the game with such gaps.
If he releases it all at once, he'll sell really well and set up nicely for future titles.

If he tries to do part updates and works like he is, he'll be screwing himself over big time.

Warhawk1

Apr 30, 2019
1614468593979.png

It's the end of the month once again, which means another monthly update! Like the last update, this will be a short one. The only thing left is grinding the final parts of 0.4. I'll probably put out another quick test release at some point during March and if nothing major comes up, the actual release should be pretty soon after that. March 22 to 28 might be a good guess for the test release. The new Ren'Py released last month was the biggest update in a long time and ships with a completely new visual renderer that I need to test out some more to work out some (hopefully minor) issues. The new Ren'Py also makes it possible to create web releases playable directly in a browser, although with some limitations. And, of course, I'll keep posting more Patreon content as we approach the release.

Like before,rest of the post is a copy paste.I like how he doesn't give a fuck about getting the update out in any specific time(JK,I hate it).

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 77 Votes