Ren'Py One Night in Badger City [Prologue] [BudBoi]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

noobhead321

Feb 16, 2018
Great concept but i think it's just a presentation for now lol
But please PLEASE add claire from RE2remake to this!! Definitely need love for the girl!

Reactions: BuddyBoi76

BuddyBoi76

May 14, 2021
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So with other projects and everything, I couldn't give a whole lot of time to the game. I managed to complete a small section with new elements and I think it might be enough for a 0.1 release.

I wanted to add more 'gameplay' for the update but RL caught up and I have to do some work this week. So I figured releasing the content that I've finished is good enough.

Let me know what you guys think of it.

Last edited:

arimfan

Feb 24, 2018
Is the game rape-heavy?

I didn't see the tag but the zombie-genre is mostly rape and i'm not too much a fan of that

Nutluck

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
I tried it and thought it was pretty good, a bit early to have strong feelings one way or the other so far. With that said I have two things I am going to critique, one is just personal preference and a couple of suggestions, but feel free to ignore them.

1) More choices, I am always a fan of those. Like what was mentioned above choices that let you effect things but in the end you end up in the same place work well. Means less branching while still giving choices that matter.

2) Honestly not a huge fan of Rebecca, I know some people adore her. I always like Jill and Claire the most.

Now the suggestions
1) Honestly I think you would have been a lot better off making your own new MC instead of a existing character. You could have even allowed for a few background choices at the start of the game, that would give said character different starting skills. Which could impact choices in the game. Like a street kid might have lockpicking and have a option to unlock things later with out having to use ammo up for example, stuff like that.

2) I know this is more of a parody of RE series but you already have Zoe, so I would like to see monsters from other games like L4D series or any other virus style games, it would be nice to have more variety.

Anyways a decent start, I will be keeping a eye on it for future updates.

loshad

Jun 25, 2020
BudBoi - Thanks for posting your work here!

Your list of planned content - corruption, infection, monster/zombies - sounds great, and I'm interested in seeing where you take this game.

Since you are actively soliciting feedback, I'd like to offer my take on a few things:

For an example of the approaches I advocate for above, take a look at Lost in Laminate.

Totally different game genre, totally different game engine - but the approach to game-based, player-choice-driven story telling is exemplary.

I hope my comments were relevant and useful - please let me know if something didn't come across clearly.

Thanks again for sharing your work!

daedilus

Mar 11, 2017
I'd rather the zombies fucking the girls be the game over screen as opposed to what is supposed to happen but overall this has me intrigued and I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Couldn't disagree more...

Ideally, I would love to see the MC become completely corrupted then enjoy playing her going after and taking down her former friends.

BuddyBoi76

May 14, 2021
Is the game rape-heavy?

I didn't see the tag but the zombie-genre is mostly rape and i'm not too much a fan of that
Yes, sorry, for now it's mainly rape-ish/mind control-ish. I realised it was missing a few tags so I updated them.

Hi,

the Nopy Link of the Windows version is down, I got a 404 error.
DL'd from Pixel instead and will give it a try soon
Hey, thanks for letting me know. Sadly, I don't have a nopy account to reupload but I'll report the post so an uploader can take a look at it!

OOOOO It's a Snek!

I tried it and thought it was pretty good, a bit early to have strong feelings one way or the other so far. With that said I have two things I am going to critique, one is just personal preference and a couple of suggestions, but feel free to ignore them.

1) More choices, I am always a fan of those. Like what was mentioned above choices that let you effect things but in the end you end up in the same place work well. Means less branching while still giving choices that matter.

2) Honestly not a huge fan of Rebecca, I know some people adore her. I always like Jill and Claire the most.

Now the suggestions
1) Honestly I think you would have been a lot better off making your own new MC instead of a existing character. You could have even allowed for a few background choices at the start of the game, that would give said character different starting skills. Which could impact choices in the game. Like a street kid might have lockpicking and have a option to unlock things later with out having to use ammo up for example, stuff like that.

2) I know this is more of a parody of RE series but you already have Zoe, so I would like to see monsters from other games like L4D series or any other virus style games, it would be nice to have more variety.

Anyways a decent start, I will be keeping a eye on it for future updates.
Thanks for trying the game out, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! As always, any suggestions or comments you may have are welcome. I'm new at this, and the only way to improve is through people letting me know. So thank you for taking the time to write your comment!

So for choices, they're definitely part of the whole "it's not about the destination, but the journey" style. Like for this update, you end up at the rooftop regardless of your choice, but it's the dialogue and events that happen in-between that change. For the future, I'm going to consider having that decision either be more impactful in the same episode, or have an effect later on (1-2 updates later). About Rebecca, I'd say you're in the majority of RE fans. However, I'm definitely going to have other characters show up (like in the recent update), so stay tuned!

As for your suggestions, I agree having character agency makes the game alot better. The problem with that is I consider myself an average writer at best, and having an existing character gives you a reference of sorts. I get that this is a pretty horrible reason to just say I'm bad at this sort of stuff but I've explained a bit about the problems I had with writing to the next poster below! I hope it makes things clearer.

And about monsters from other games. Well, variety is always appreciated, and it keeps things from getting stale. Honestly some of the monsters are a pain to pose. Like the tongue for this update had a total of 30 bones that I had to rotate in order to get it right for the renders, but I digress. If you have specific monsters from specific games in mind, let me know. However, I'm pretty much limited to what's available for SFM (steam workshop, sfmlab etc.) cause again, I'm using assets rather than creating my own for now.

BudBoi - Thanks for posting your work here!

Your list of planned content - corruption, infection, monster/zombies - sounds great, and I'm interested in seeing where you take this game.

Since you are actively soliciting feedback, I'd like to offer my take on a few things:

For an example of the approaches I advocate for above, take a look at Lost in Laminate.

Totally different game genre, totally different game engine - but the approach to game-based, player-choice-driven story telling is exemplary.

I hope my comments were relevant and useful - please let me know if something didn't come across clearly.

Thanks again for sharing your work!
Hey, thank you so much for your comment, and definitely an even bigger thank you for providing examples from other games. It helps a ton having a reference or a guide that you can compare your work to and draw inspiration from!

So for choices, honestly its a pretty swell idea. It gives player agency without changing alot about the story. Plus since the scene's already set up, it doesn't take alot of time to pose and render stuff. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future updates.

The main thing I'm glad you mentioned is the dialogue, because holy shit, it is pretty damn hard writing dialogue. I pretty much took it for granted, cause if a novel/game's dialogue is well-written, hardly anyone ever notices. If it's bad, damn does it stick out. What's worse is when you're writing dialogue for a person who's alone, and they start talking like they're psychotic. The most someone says to a non-existent audience is fuck or holy shit, but the need to convey what your character is feeling is still there. A narrator fixes this but it feels weirder than having an internal monologue most of the time.

Honestly, I was pretty relieved when I added a new character so I could have the MC interact with them without it feeling weird. I wasn't exactly happy with how the interaction turned out, but I felt like it got the point across. Still though, I think I need to improve on writing dialogue as a whole (ESPECIALLY if only the MC is present in a room) so I will need to work on that and then work on having the MC react to player input so it feels genuine. I'll take a look at the game you linked and try to get a better understanding there, but if you have anything else that can help me improve my writing, I'd love to take a look at it.

Though I guess the only way to improve is by trying stuff out. Animating/programming/writing everything is pretty hard, especially for a beginner, but the only way to get better at it is by sucking at it. So thanks again for providing feedback! If anyone else has suggestions on how to improve, please do let me know. I'll be opening up a discord sometime next week so I can share updates, or receive suggestions more easily.

Last edited:

Xymma

Feb 14, 2018
Couple of possible underappreciated character inclusions. The Wolfpack(Lupo, Bertha, and Four Eyes Specifically), Rachel Foley, Moira Burton, and adult Sherry. Aya Brea might make for another good crossover character. Also hoping for some monstergirls like Ooze Rachel and especially Alexia Ashford(Transformed). I would say Dimitrescu, but she is in extremely high demand right now, and it's kinda killing her appeal for me.

f9account

Engaged Member
Mar 20, 2020
Looks really interesting so far! Is the tentacle tag for the current game or a potential addition?

libertypics

Jan 23, 2019
Is the game rape-heavy?

Yes, sorry, for now it's mainly rape-ish/mind control-ish. I realised it was missing a few tags so I updated them.
Is the game rape-heavy?

I didn't see the tag but the zombie-genre is mostly rape and i'm very much a fan of that :LOL:

Ps... thanks for tentacles too ;)

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote