Rickster82

Sep 10, 2017
1648506840910.png
Hello everybody,
I'm currently play-testing and reviewing chapters 8 and 9, the last bit left before tackling the final technical reworks and implementations. My goal is to be done with everything major at the end of the week, and release the Alpha as soon as we've made sure everything works as intended.
The current 9 chapters amount to 658k words written (to put into perspective, "A Storm of Swords", the longest book in G.R.R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", is estimated to be between 404k and 424k words long), so going over everything would take a crazy amount of time... That's why I didn't. I had in mind what scenes or threads needed to be reworked, and I'm also finding many things that could've been done better as I playtest the chapters. As I said, due to the developing cycle almost everything I put out is a first draft, and I find a lot of clumsy dialog or poorly implemented ideas or mechanics. But this revision has taken way too long and it's time to call it done.
Right now I'm overhauling the stat system: before, every 3 XP you'd earn a new level, now the progressions scales the higher your skill level is, so you'll be needing more XP to gain a new one. I'm also redefining how some menus are presented, to make the choice mechanics feel more integrated, and how many XP are awarded, and when.
I've also added a few new tracks to the game's soundtrack. Some of them have been composed especially for the game, while I licensed others that I've been finding and really enjoying. There are quite a few tracks that I wasn't able to get (some labels asked for up to $10.000 for just one track, others outright refused to license them). Negotiating these kind of things suck, but I believe a good soundtrack really adds to the experience. It's one of those things that was very crude and limited in GGGB, but now I'm happy to invest money so you will want to play the game without wanting to mute it. However, I haven't reached the point where I can spend $500 on a single track (much less $10.000)
Anyway, I'll keep working to finish all the remaining tasks and give you the new, polished version of ORS early this April. Hopefully I can do it with the invaluable help of Lara, BloodyMares and TheDarkFable, the team who's been helping me keeping ORS from falling apart.
The finish line is in sight! Talk to you soon!

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
Right now I'm overhauling the stat system: before, every 3 XP you'd earn a new level, now the progressions scales the higher your skill level is, so you'll be needing more XP to gain a new one.
I don't know if i like this change. Seems like will make more difficult and take more time to level up with the progression of the story. I hope at least will get more stats points available to compensate it.

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017
View attachment 1727640
Hello everybody,
I'm currently play-testing and reviewing chapters 8 and 9, the last bit left before tackling the final technical reworks and implementations. My goal is to be done with everything major at the end of the week, and release the Alpha as soon as we've made sure everything works as intended.
The current 9 chapters amount to 658k words written (to put into perspective, "A Storm of Swords", the longest book in G.R.R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", is estimated to be between 404k and 424k words long), so going over everything would take a crazy amount of time... That's why I didn't. I had in mind what scenes or threads needed to be reworked, and I'm also finding many things that could've been done better as I playtest the chapters. As I said, due to the developing cycle almost everything I put out is a first draft, and I find a lot of clumsy dialog or poorly implemented ideas or mechanics. But this revision has taken way too long and it's time to call it done.
Right now I'm overhauling the stat system: before, every 3 XP you'd earn a new level, now the progressions scales the higher your skill level is, so you'll be needing more XP to gain a new one. I'm also redefining how some menus are presented, to make the choice mechanics feel more integrated, and how many XP are awarded, and when.
I've also added a few new tracks to the game's soundtrack. Some of them have been composed especially for the game, while I licensed others that I've been finding and really enjoying. There are quite a few tracks that I wasn't able to get (some labels asked for up to $10.000 for just one track, others outright refused to license them). Negotiating these kind of things suck, but I believe a good soundtrack really adds to the experience. It's one of those things that was very crude and limited in GGGB, but now I'm happy to invest money so you will want to play the game without wanting to mute it. However, I haven't reached the point where I can spend $500 on a single track (much less $10.000)
Anyway, I'll keep working to finish all the remaining tasks and give you the new, polished version of ORS early this April. Hopefully I can do it with the invaluable help of Lara, BloodyMares and TheDarkFable, the team who's been helping me keeping ORS from falling apart.
Stan will keep his otaku room? :unsure:

Quintillian

Apr 15, 2019
I don't know if i like this change. Seems like will make more difficult and take more time to level up with the progression of the story. I hope at least will get more stats points available to compensate it.
Every time I read about the stat system, I get this cheeky grin, because I know at least one of my playthroughs is going to be an unrenpy'ed console cheated save just to see if the game breaks at the some point. That, and roleplay god.

• Haha
Reactions: Echbert

dontcarewhateverno

Engaged Member
Jan 25, 2021
View attachment 1727640
Hello everybody,
I've got a funny feeling here that Stan 2.0 is gonna be fat Ian/Dave with less of a head-start in the date-able department. Likely with some extra (non-creepy) awkward thrown in. Good news on the new music, though. I had it up to here with the "Kickin it at Ian's Place" watered-down funk track & the elevator music "rock" track since just about the first time hearing them. But it's hard to find cheap/free license-free music that's any good.

First draft alpha of the revamp will likely be a stats clusterfuck, but looking forward to playing it. That'll probably be the focus that needs the most playthroughs & fixes (plus the hardest bugs to catch) to get to final 0.9 revamp release. Though I'm sure some of the retconned Stan content will throw up a lot of non-hallucinogen-induced Ren'py errors too.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

Mark17

May 15, 2017
Why bother himself with overpriced OST? I mean just download Kevin Macleod for free-songs.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Ragnar and Homemade

dontcarewhateverno

Engaged Member
Jan 25, 2021
Does this stat overhaul mean our saves will be broken?
Complete Stan retcon & likely other path changes mean our saves will be broken regardless. But yeah, stat override would likely do the same, even if nothing else changed. You may be able to load a save or two. But I wouldn't trust wasting your time with them, since old saves are sure to cause errors down the line, even if not obvious on first load.

Ashley young

Dec 4, 2017
Do people really care that much about sounds / music in an h-game? It is usually some ambient tone, which does not match with the story at all I almost never play any game with sound (except for LiL, because it is more or less impossible to beat the game without audio). Spending 500 - 1k on tracks seems counterproductive tbh, especially when there are millions oftracks online requiring no copyrights.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
The right music can be a plus in some games. Also throwing a few dollars to the creators seems fair to me if you are a pro yourself. Now 10k for one track? What the hell are you smoking?
Sex sounds on the other hand tend to be atrociuos in games.

dundun

Jul 6, 2017
We are at most halfway through the story and you can already max out some stats. So it makes sense to make progression slower. She will of course have to lower requirements too so they stay reachable. That is where the actual work is, lowering stats gain is done in 5 minutes.

CoalPhelps

Aug 19, 2018
Do people really care that much about sounds / music in an h-game? It is usually some ambient tone, which does not match with the story at all I almost never play any game with sound (except for LiL, because it is more or less impossible to beat the game without audio). Spending 500 - 1k on tracks seems counterproductive tbh, especially when there are millions oftracks online requiring no copyrights.
Half of everything in Being a DIK is done by the music, especially related to the players' LI.

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes