Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
I for one love this game. The art is nicely done and the writing is better than any of the recent games i played. (then again they were only using google translations...) Only thing if i may is suggest is splitting the story into 3 options (only) Male MC, (only) Female MC or Both M/F MC. It kinda got tedious in my humble opinion going back through the beginning of the story with the Female lead. To me it was odd controling both sides of the story at once. (that and i am not partial to playing as a female.... but all in all its a great start to a wonderful new game.)
Is a good idea

Higurashika

Nov 15, 2018
Guys, you just don't understand one simple thing. If both characters want the same, it has no point to have them both as playble characters. And if they want a different things - you won't have an emotional involvement with one of them. That's why the core of the game (to have 2 playble characters) is pointless. And there is more: when you have to play them one by one, it's annoying. I've played a lot of games with such concept and it's always the same: you play character you like and skip dialogs for other character.

That's why in literature you won't see "we have 2 main characters" concept. It's only the one or none. And only in post modern literature we have this concept. And it sucks, what a surprise!

Brickman

May 26, 2017
Guys, you just don't understand one simple thing. If both characters want the same, it has no point to have them both as playble characters. And if they want a different things - you won't have an emotional involvement with one of them. That's why the core of the game (to have 2 playble characters) is pointless. And there is more: when you have to play them one by one, it's annoying. I've played a lot of games with such concept and it's always the same: you play character you like and skip dialogs for other character.

That's why in literature you won't see "we have 2 main characters" concept. It's only the one or none. And only in post modern literature we have this concept. And it sucks, what a surprise!
In literature we won't see 2 main characters? How many books have you read? The first that comes to mind is Lord of the Rings, which has several main characters and is the pillar of all fantasy literature nowadays. So does many classic and modern books, alternating between different points of view. Not to speak about Game of Thrones, which has no main character, but a ton of them, each one central to his own story, and that's one of the things that has made it iconic in literature.
Taste is subjective and everyone is entitled to liking or not liking male or female MCs or multiple protagonists. But saying is pointless and that it sucks is just preposterous.
Then again, to me a lot of complaints here seem rather premature, or the opinions of someone who really enjoys fast food and can't appreciate the true quality of fine cuisine.

Innocent Chloe

Jul 23, 2017
You have no idea how happy I got when I saw this pop up on the forums, a new EVAKISS game O M F G!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Girl Gone bad is one of my favourite renpy games, really excited to see how this game unfolds, what is there so far is really good as usual (y)

Quintillian

Apr 15, 2019
In literature we won't see 2 main characters? How many books have you read? The first that comes to mind is Lord of the Rings, which has several main characters and is the pillar of all fantasy literature nowadays. So does many classic and modern books, alternating between different points of view. Not to speak about Game of Thrones, which has no main character, but a ton of them, each one central to his own story, and that's one of the things that has made it iconic in literature.
Taste is subjective and everyone is entitled to liking or not liking male or female MCs or multiple protagonists. But saying is pointless and that it sucks is just preposterous.
Then again, to me a lot of complaints here seem rather premature, or the opinions of someone who really enjoys fast food and can't appreciate the true quality of fine cuisine.
So I guess A Song of Ice and Fire with its multiple main characters is now a postmodern literature huh? Those damn postmodern neomarxists with their damn multiple main characters! They can't keep getting away with it! Stop shoving your dirty agenda down our throats!

On a serious note: Saying that it's impossible for someone to have an emotional involvement in two MCs is rather stupid. I get that you can personally not like it, but believe me: a lot of players here like this concept.
The problem isn’t having multiple POVs. The problem comes when the POV change constantly recycles previous scenes.

Can you imagine how it would be to read LotR or ASoIaF if for most scenes you had to read them twice knowing what’s about to happen?

In my case, I’m not saying it can’t be done. Of course, it can. But I’ve never seen it done well, and for that, it will require massive skills from the writer for sure.

Creeping Death

dies in loneliness
Donor
Jan 28, 2018

Character design (Cindy)

Cindy is one of my favourite character designs. I think she's the second character I came up with, right after drawing the first version of Lena. While Lena is a full-bodied dark-haired beauty, Cindy is slender and golden-haired.

It took me a while to define her personality (that's still an ongoing process to be honest) but I'm excited about the possibilities she'll let us explore. I have some things in mind for her and I think they will be fun! Of course, they will depend on the player's choices, more specifically in Ian's relationship with her. Are you able to get on Cindy's good side or you clash with her brash personality? Can you find her sweet spot, or make her despise you...? I can't reveal too much yet, but I think you'll like it!

What do you think about Cindy so far? Do you like her design?

Brickman

May 26, 2017

Character design (Cindy)

Cindy is one of my favourite character designs. I think she's the second character I came up with, right after drawing the first version of Lena. While Lena is a full-bodied dark-haired beauty, Cindy is slender and golden-haired.

It took me a while to define her personality (that's still an ongoing process to be honest) but I'm excited about the possibilities she'll let us explore. I have some things in mind for her and I think they will be fun! Of course, they will depend on the player's choices, more specifically in Ian's relationship with her. Are you able to get on Cindy's good side or you clash with her brash personality? Can you find her sweet spot, or make her despise you...? I can't reveal too much yet, but I think you'll like it!

What do you think about Cindy so far? Do you like her design?
Defo one of my favs. Really dig her looks and body type. We haven't seen too much about her but she's one you have to beware of... if you offer her a beer she makes you lose friendship with Perry and the way she manipulates Wade during the pool game is both hilarious and infuriating. She seems like a nice gal but also dangerous... just my type :D

MagiLord

Aug 25, 2018
The problem isn’t having multiple POVs. The problem comes when the POV change constantly recycles previous scenes.
I partially agree. If you revisit a scene without a new particularly exciting insight from a character, you will rapidly bore the reader. I'd like to note a couple of things though.

1) So far we have not enough evidence to say that "Our Red String" will follow a "revisiting scene" from the other character's perspective throughout the whole game.
2) There are several examples (in Literature and Cinema) of recycled scenes that offer the narrative a deeper complexity to the reader's understanding.
3) Finally, given that this is a game, recycled scenes provide a gameplay purpose which is to gather points to the games RPGish system. (Naturally, that could easily be ignored and changed - but I could understand why EvaK thought it could be a good idea.)

4) It would, however, be easier for EvaK to lead a character through the events up to a colliding point which changes the POV.

SpikeZg

Engaged Member
May 8, 2018
so happy to hear that Cindy is Eva's favourite :giggle:
love her render :love: and can't wait for her story to progress with Ian :D

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
On a serious note: Saying that it's impossible for someone to have an emotional involvement in two MCs is rather stupid. I get that you can personally not like it, but believe me: a lot of players here do like this concept.
Agreed. My personal problem in 0.1 was that Lena got a short end of the stick. It was obvious that Ian's POV was done first and the most effort was put into his part. He felt like the primary character while Lena was just a nice addition. If she got the same treatment as Ian, I would love them equally as they are both great characters and have interesting storylines. And yet, after playing as Ian, I find myself reluctant to play as Lena. Her perspective in the cafe felt repetitive on my first run, I just won't be able to handle all of that again and again on replays. And it's only 0.1.

BruceLee73

Apr 22, 2018

You just dont understand one simple thing: What YOU like and what the rest of the world likes is NOT the same thing. And no, you also are in no position to speak for the majority.
But if everything is so bad to you, it is indeed pointless. pointless for you to spend another second of your time and our nerves here.
And no. thats not constructive criticism on your end. Telling someone the very basic thing of his/her story was "pointless", "annoying" and "sucks" is not constructive by any means. so please - stay away then.

Not like the market isnt full of all the usual, boring stuff just diverting in names and faces, you ll find your own "gems" there, as you are basically just yelling to have more of the same old same old. You ll find some, I m sure of it.
Dont hit yourself on the door! bye bye!

Meanwhile a lot of people here already did and sure will continue to enjoy this new gem here.

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
4) It would, however, be easier for EvaK to lead a character through the events up to a colliding point which changes the POV.
FUCKING THIS! Please make it so that Eva reads this. It's the perfect way to do these stories. I remember in Batman Arkham City Catwoman was a secondary character but her parts were weaved into the narrative so well that it felt at times like a 2-MC experience.
Devil May Cry 4 on the other hand, while having 2 main playable heroes, only felt engaging when you play as Nero. Same problem as ORS. When you switch over to Dante, the pacing becomes a slog, the backtracking, same bosses, repetitive puzzles, etc until you reach the final boss and can play as Nero again.
I feel like EvaKiss got her inspiration from Resident Evil 2 Remake where you get to play as both Leon and Claire, and they have enough unique content that it doesn't feel like you replay the same stuff again but as another character. The advantage is that the game is quite short, even so, it has some inconsistencies in terms of the story with no clear canon.

With the amount of content that ORS is going to have, frequent POV shifts on the fly are the way to go.

DatBoit

Dec 2, 2018
Having two main characters is not a problem, and of course you can be emotionally involved in both of them. As people say, there is plenty of literature and other media to support this.

For me, however, it tends to work the best in a story-driven context, i.e. when there is already a set arch for each character; where they begin, how they will change and where they end up. The story is what engages you, and you strap in for the ride.

In a character-driven context, this does not work in the same way, as you would now expect many different possibilites and final destinations for the characters. Basically, there is no set end-point. Here, it is the characters and what you can do with them that engages you, rather than the story. Obviously, this is the case with GGGB.

Herein lies my biggest worry with having two main characters in ORS. Eva has expressed that she wants us to care for the characters even more this game, and one can therefore reasonably assume the will drive the game. The possibilities of providing a deep enough experience with two characters, though, is much more difficult. Of course, it can still be done, it is just more difficult.

The greatest value in GGGB lay in the variation and possibilities to truly take Ashley, and to some regard even her friends, wherever you wanted to take her. Not only in terms of routes, both in appearance as well. As far as I know, no other developer had done this before.

I think this is the main issue or concern people have so far when we discuss opportunities and characters. Eva has clearly shown herself able to do something no other developer has done in terms of choices, variation and character development (both physical and pshycological). Taking a step towards making the game more story-driven/having two MC's and thereby limiting the possible variations compared to GGGB would mean that the USP is lost in a way, in relation to GGGB.

Honestly, I don't even know if what I wrote makes sense. Those are my two cents anyways. Clearly we don't really have an idea where the game is going, but I think it would be a shame to risk throwing away the qualitis that made GGGB so good.

John Doe Jr.

Jun 11, 2017
Can't wait for the kinky shenanigans to begin. Also, Cindy is prob my favorite character right now and can't wait to explore more of her in different ways ;)

Brickman

May 26, 2017
Maybe fails, maybe triumph, but at least tries new things.
Exactly my sentiment.
Not only in terms of routes, both in appearance as well. As far as I know, no other developer had done this before.
This is what makes Eva Kiss a special developer in this genre (aside from the high quality and effort put in her games). With GGGB she did something no other dev had done before, not only in offering the only really deep and well constructed branching story, but adding outstanding visual customisation of the main character. And also the female MC which is not original but it is quite rare. She could've repeated the formula, like many devs do: their teenage boy fucking his family was successful, let's do more of the same. The story about a mature man getting into young girls pants worked, let's do that again. And many developers just copy those formulas or just aim to create easy and quick fap material.
Eva Kiss is trying something new with ORS, it's celar to see she invested a lot to make the game look and feel a lot more pro than GGGB and she's challenging the medium trying difficult things, like having a duo of MCs. We'll see how that plays out in the end, and I can see that gamers who just want that quick fap qill be bothered by these things, but I for one I'm extremely grateful there's a dev out there like Eva Kiss. I'm looking for something a bit more deep and complex and haven't found a close second in adult gaming. And I hate myself for sounding like a fanboy but man I guess I just turned into one, these games are just fucking amazing

Jan 9, 2018
The multiple protagonist thing in games works a bit differently than in books since you are the one contolling the story and making decisions. If you are a person who likes to self-insert them into the characters it could get quite weird when the two characters you are controlling start hitting it off. It feels almost like you are romancing yourself.

4.60 star(s) 312 Votes