John Doe Jr.

Jun 11, 2017
May be just a minor thing or just my own taste but I´m not a big fan of this - as well as the cheat mode that was added a few chapters ago - she´s watering down her own creation, as it takes away so much of the re-playability of the game (which was one of the strong suits of her previous game).
I do like the cheat mode for when you start over to do different routes you don't have to worry about the skills or money

Tallyhoe

Feb 21, 2019
May be just a minor thing or just my own taste but I´m not a big fan of this - as well as the cheat mode that was added a few chapters ago - she´s watering down her own creation, as it takes away so much of the re-playability of the game (which was one of the strong suits of her previous game).
No one is forcing you to use cheat mode.
It’s optional for those who wants it, no?
I don’t see how giving you more options to play is watering down.
You must be Souls game fan then.

jollyjoker27

Sep 4, 2020
No one is forcing you to use cheat mode.
It’s optional for those who wants it, no?
I don’t see how giving you more options to play is watering down.
You must be Souls game fan then.
You´re right, cheats are optional, which is fine and as someone said above, can be useful for repeated playthroughs, for example. I just side-mentioned that I personally don´t like/use them. However that´s not really what my posts were about.

We were talking about the addition of greyed out text/choices that is mentioned in the weekly status report, which - if forced - would spoil (water down) a lot of the content for those that rather explore the game on their own. I hope she realizes this and makes it optional as well.

Also: I don´t know what Souls game is, sorry. ;)

Chimi Changa

May 27, 2018

Chapter 8 weekly status report (9)
As I said last time, this'll be the last status report before the release of the Alpha version of Chapter 8. My goal is to release it by the end of the week, probably Saturday, if everything goes as planned.
  • The writing is finally done! The script ended up totalling aprox. 17.750 lines of code, so this chapter ended up being lengthier than I expected. Maybe not long, but dense.
  • Bug testing has been underway and keep going, now with a complete script. BloodyMares is helping me with that greatly, as usual, and Lara has been providing technical support too. Thanks to her, now the choices that are not available to you will appear greyed out, instead of being invisible, so you'll know when you have alternatives to explore.
  • I've also completed all the missing drawing and now I have to finalise all the assets. This is quite time-consuming, but it requires a lot less brainpower than writing, so I should be able to sit through all of them during this week.
Not much more to say, now it's all a matter of putting in the time to make everything look sexy and making sure all the pieces fit correctly before releasing the chapter. Working on it as you can see in this example below!

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
To clarify about greyed-out options: You'll only see the options within a single dialogue tree. Just like in Mass Effect with greyed out Charm/Intimidate options in a dialogue wheel.

Things you won't see:
1) Conditions to get those dialogue options. You'll just know that they're in the game, but how to get them is up to you to find out.
2) Alternative dialogue trees that can only be accessed when different requirements are met. There are multiple paths to discover, and greyed-out options won't spoil them beyond the immediate effect within the scene. Some dialogue options trigger secondary dialogue trees, and they'll still be hidden.

Example: When Alison invites Ian to a trip with her, you'll have 2 outcomes:
1) if you're dating her, you'll be able to either agree or decline (both options show up).
2) If you're not dating her, the dialogue options won't appear at all and Ian will automatically reject the offer.
In the second outcome, you won't see any greyed-out options because the dialogue tree is for another branch that you're not currently on. So to you it will still look like there's no option to come with her unless you replay the game and make correct choices to trigger that dialogue tree that allows you to accept the offer.

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
To clarify about greyed-out options: You'll only see the options within a single dialogue tree. Just like in Mass Effect with greyed out Charm/Intimidate options in a dialogue wheel.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Thanks for the clarification. Still would prefer to not be forced to see those unavailable options. :)

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
Eh, I think I'd have found my renegade run more fun if I was unaware of what tone of options to expect from having read the options on my paragon run.. :unsure:

• Angry
Reactions: the3m_dude

loloby

Nov 21, 2018

Chapter 8 weekly status report (9)
As I said last time, this'll be the last status report before the release of the Alpha version of Chapter 8. My goal is to release it by the end of the week, probably Saturday, if everything goes as planned.
  • The writing is finally done! The script ended up totalling aprox. 17.750 lines of code, so this chapter ended up being lengthier than I expected. Maybe not long, but dense.
  • Bug testing has been underway and keep going, now with a complete script. BloodyMares is helping me with that greatly, as usual, and Lara has been providing technical support too. Thanks to her, now the choices that are not available to you will appear greyed out, instead of being invisible, so you'll know when you have alternatives to explore.
  • I've also completed all the missing drawing and now I have to finalise all the assets. This is quite time-consuming, but it requires a lot less brainpower than writing, so I should be able to sit through all of them during this week.
Not much more to say, now it's all a matter of putting in the time to make everything look sexy and making sure all the pieces fit correctly before releasing the chapter. Working on it as you can see in this example below!
Stunning

Massi89

Dec 21, 2020
Personally I'm okay with seeing the greyed-out options, I would definitely like to have a better idea of what I'm missing and how much I can explore. But maybe the best choice would be to make it so that you can set it up in the menu. That way the readers who want this kind of option will activate it, whereas those who don't want it will make it so that it doesn't show up.

DDDIsReal

B.I.T.W.
Donor
Dec 25, 2019
The grey choices are a great add, i can't understand ppl that don't like it. It's very helpful and at least you can see what missing, it isn't like you know who fuck who, this don't spoil anything. it's just an hint that say ''hey you have other scenes to play'' that without this feature would be almost impossible to discover. You guys prefer going here and ask ''what I missing?''

Brickman

May 26, 2017
The grey choices are a great add, i can't understand ppl that don't like it. It's very helpful and at least you can see what missing, it isn't like you know who fuck who, this don't spoil anything. it's just an hint that say ''hey you have other scenes to play'' that without this feature would be almost impossible to discover. You guys prefer going here and ask ''what I missing?''
Totally agree, I don't thinki seeing the greyed out options spoil anything, just hints at possible routes or options that could be open if you had made different choices or had enough stats, which encourages you to revisit the game and try different things, knowing that there are some possibilities to explore you might not be aware of. That's not the same as "spoiling" what could happen if you decide to go on that route. It just makes the branching nature of the story more obvious and easier to explore. Unless you intend to play the game many many times trying every different option available, I think it's cool that you get hints on what options you're missing and that you might want to try in different playthroughs, or what skill you need to increase to get those extra options.

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
How is it hard to understand? We're not asking for its removal, just that it's an optional feature. You go ahead and use it all you like.

I just don't want to see what I'm "missing" in the first place, I want the game to reference only content that is relevant to the choices I've made in the current playthrough. If I want alternatives I'll replay to try and get them.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Playing with hints takes away from the the experience of going blind into the story and making your own choices.
It can be a good optional feauture for new plus games.

dundun

Jul 6, 2017
Playing with hints takes away from the the experience of going blind into the story and making your own choices.
How so? It won't change your choices at all as you can't click the 'new' option.
I think a big problem of the game is that a lot of players never even realize they are missing most of the game. People are still used to the standard game that has like 2 paths (good/bad) and one of them is boring. I think most players don't replay games even once. Just look at all the requests for save games when a version comes out.

Also reduces replaybility
Again, how so? If you see an option you can't take you are less likely to replay the game?

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes