dontcarewhateverno

Engaged Member
Jan 25, 2021
I predicted this reaction when playtesting that part. I personally wish it was directed differently as it made me feel disappointed in Lena's character, but that's Eva's story and I don't think it will be changed. It might be addressed in Ch 9 or in Beta with some dialogue, but I wouldn't bet on it. Since Ian had the option to put Minerva in her place, or point out Cindy's pettiness, I was hoping he could point out Lena's hypocrisy based on his Charisma stat if she was dating Robert for example.
I understand the "it's her story" perspective and usually agree with it. But in this case, honestly, it's just really bad writing and a glaring plothole. Lena at least needs some internal dialogue early in this chapter acknowledging what she's done herself when
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If she decides to write Lena as petty in this situation, fair game. All about it, as it's her creative vision. But not at least acknowledging it in her own thoughts is a huge narrative misstep. I don't think acknowledging it in a later chapter works either, since any living, breathing human would've acknowledged it way before then, unless plottwist: Lena's an android.

Last edited:

Massi89

Dec 21, 2020
Those are choices you can make to guide the character as you choose. Not the defined character. Though the only plausible explanation for her train-of-though reactions after some of these scenarios is that she's purposefully written as a sociopath. I'm pretty sure that wasn't Eva's intent, so there are some immersion-breaking writing flaws here. Hopefully it'll be edited after alpha.
From a certain point of view there is no real defined character in a game like this, because as much as the characters are made in a certain way, we also partly define them through our choices. For example, in older chapters we were able to choose whether Lena would say that her passion was writing songs, modeling, making money or just having fun.
In this kind of multiple-choice visual novel, a problem that the author can easily run into is creating paths where the characters' behaviours might feel less coherent to the reader. The wider the range of choices, the higher that risk is...
Although in Our Red String, I feel the presence of this problem significantly less than in Good Girl Gone Bad.

Reactions: dundun

Skylark21

Apr 9, 2018
Imo the reason Lena lost it with Ian-holly situation is because Holly is their mutual friend and Lena has created some kind of bond with her even if it's not romantic cause she doesn't mind when Ian sleeps with other people, yeah her reaction might be bit over the top but every character has their flows and it may be also because her history with Axel is repeating again although not similar but still close enough.
What I don't understand is why some people are so hell bent on portraying only Lena in bad light when Ian is rowing in the same boat fucking Emma and Cindy betraying his Best friends. Agree, Lena is not perfect but Ian is no saint either, he's much worse tbh.

_Zebra_

Jun 24, 2017
What did you, guys&gals, think about Lena's tattoos? Which one did you pick (if you went down that path)?

Last edited:
Reactions: mistkae

BloodyMares

Dec 4, 2017
If she decides to write Lena as petty in this situation, fair game. All about it, as it's her creative vision. But not at least acknowledging it in her own thoughts is a huge narrative misstep. I don't think acknowledging it in a later chapter works either, since any living, breathing human would've acknowledged it way before then, unless plottwist: Lena's an android.
Yeah, Eva knows my take. Whether or not it influences her opinion on it and ends up in some change, I'm not sure.
I also suspect she didn't think about the Robert situation that happened in the previous chapter when writing the scene of Lena grilling Ian because Ian never brings it up or even reflects back on it in his thoughts, which makes the Holly's path seem like a completely separate event, not influenced by the player's choices in the rest of the game (except for Ian's choice to get close with Holly or not).

What I don't understand is why some people are so hell bent on portraying only Lena in bad light when Ian is rowing in the same boat fucking Emma and Cindy betraying his Best friends. Agree, Lena is not perfect but Ian is no saint either, he's much worse tbh.
The difference is, Ian can be an asshole and pay for it. Lena never does (at this stage). And Ian can be an asshole based on player decisions, while Lena's reaction is default and separate from the player's playstyle of Lena.

RanchFTW

Donor
Oct 21, 2017
Imo the reason Lena lost it with Ian-holly situation is because Holly is their mutual friend and Lena has created some kind of bond with her even if it's not romantic cause she doesn't mind when Ian sleeps with other people, yeah her reaction might be bit over the top but every character has their flows and it may be also because her history with Axel is repeating again although not similar but still close enough.
How is Ian much worse? He has guilt over the Cindy and Emma situation and there will be consequences for Ian once Wade and Perry find out. Oh, and you conveniently forgot to mention that Lena sucks off Jeremy (Ian's friend). Someone he's been friends with for years, not someone he just met and formed a bond with. Lena fucks him as well. Telling Jeremy to keep it secret. She not only betrayed Ian, but Louise with that. Also, Lena isn't the only one that has been hurt by cheating, that's how Ian and Gillian broke up. She cheated on him.

So yes, this is all hypocrisy from Lena and the way she acts. It would be fine, but she doesn't even realize it in her own internal thoughts. It is truly sociopathic. None of us that are bringing this up are upset with the content, just with the fact it's hypocrisy and there is no way for Ian to express any of this. Ian can be disappointed that Lena slept with Robert, but he still forgives her even if he didn't sleep with anyone but Lena. Meanwhile, she can break it off with Ian if he defends himself from Robert. All the power between the two rests with Lena. She decides if they stay together, if she's upset over something she can end it. Ian, well, he just has to deal with her screwing Robert or anyone else for that matter. It's only going to get worse unless outlets for Ian are provided. I mean, he needs to be able to tell slut Lena to fuck off, and break up with her.

thomastm

May 24, 2020
A key that open many locks is a master key, a lock that open by many keys is a shitty lock.

dontcarewhateverno

Engaged Member
Jan 25, 2021
Well, she's created a potential friend-breaking situation herself. But the biggest problem is her lack of reaction internally to any of the things she's done when thinking about the Ian/Holly situation. That's separate from the lack of options for Ian to stand up for himself, which is implausible, but not quite as glaring.

Aug 20, 2020
Another great update. I agree with what people are saying about Lena, I've played Lena as a 304 screwing other guys while Ian remained loyal, up until the Holly book event, because Holly was always my main goal. However, he decided to keep it casual with her, then Lena got mad and dumped him and somehow thought of herself as the moral high ground despite 1. fucking Robert 2. fucking Mike 3. doing a Stalkfap 4. Posing sexually with Axel 5. sucking off Jeremy. Lena had WAY more offenses than Ian who just slept with Holly. In fact she acts the same when Holly kisses Ian and he pushes her away, instead blaming Ian for some reason?

After all this, she can even screw multiple other men, not to mention have a sexual encounter with the girl she was mad at Ian for just KISSING and the thought about herself being a hypocrite doesn't enter her mind.

Now, I don't mind Lena thinking like that, if it's intended for her to be hypocritical because having personality flaws makes people more interesting from a narrative standpoint. I just hope if EvaKiss looks back at this, she can give Ian some balls to at least call her out about being mad about him and Holly, when she was fucking Robert because that's certainly something I would do in real life in that situation. I get that it's hard to account for all the variables though, and she has gone back and made changes to prior content many times, so hopefully she addresses this.

My only other issue is that the Lena/Jeremy penetration scene was a little bit bland, but I still enjoyed it.

Other than those two minor gripes, this was another great update. I'm not into lesbian content but that threesome between Lena, Holly and Ivy was really good! My job as Perry's wingman seems to have panned out because he finally got with Emma. Poor Ian is back at square one though, not what I intended. Seems next update we'll finally meet Lena's parents face-to-face, maybe her brother too? I think it might end up that Lena might have to fuck with Axel to secure that modelling gig too. My Lena is broke now too because tattoos and sex toys are expensive. Anyway, looking forward to the next update! The thing I like most about this game is how grounded the story is, there's no magical macguffin or disease or accident that turns the character into a slut, it's just a choice that the player can influence.

Another great chapter!

AL.d

Sep 26, 2016
Seeing the reactions about Lena makes it seem like people here live in a different world than me. 99% of people will judge others for doing the exact same shit they do and won't acknowledge it. It's one of the most common human behaviors. People are full of shit, what else is new?

In a way you see it in this thread too when people are very willing to judge Lena and Ian differently for being equally shitty people...With ridiculous justifications like my sexist grandpa's quotes about locks and keys....

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes