Cabot

Jun 20, 2017

Hopefully Ian will be given some autonomy, so he can stand up for himself when it comes to Lena.
Yeah, I’m also starting to feel this way in some routes, their relationship can evolve quickly into a reacher/settler dynamic, where Ian thinks he’s scoring out of his league and bears with almost everything while Lena (perhaps subconsciously) feels entitled to do whatever she pleases. But I would like to point out two considerations:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Long story short: I think we’re starting to see the consequences of our choices and while the wholesome IanxLena relationship is still quite viable, in other routes past decisions are coming to bite the MCs in their asses...

Last edited:

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
Long story short: I think we’re starting to see the consequences of our choices and while the wholesome IanxLena relationship is still quite viable, in other routes past decisions are coming to bite the MCs in their asses...
I also think this change is needed, to align certain choices with certain main-character mindsets, at least if we want some variability with whatever villains or betrayals might be coming up for some of the less wholesome characters.

Like, "sweet Lena" would probably never decide to side with Seymour in whatever nefarious schemes are coming up and neither would Ian as the bro we've come to know.

I think it's more subtle with Ian, but something I remember thinking to myself in ch. 8 was with the confrontation with Alison's ex, when my Ian threw him to the curb I was like "huh, that was easy..."
I wonder if Ian will come to feel the same at some point, that his new physical exploits are an easy way to deal with problems. I doubt Eva would ever make "domestic abuse" paths or anything like that, but an Ian that successfully takes down several men is arguably a different man to the person that tries to talk himself out of most of his problems.
I don't think Ian would necessarily become more violent, but he might become less tolerable, at least towards other men and in turn he might be more malleable to Axel and Seymour's points of view (you are entitled to what you can take)

Cabot

Jun 20, 2017
I also think this change is needed, to align certain choices with certain main-character mindsets, at least if we want some variability with whatever villains or betrayals might be coming up for some of the less wholesome characters.

Like, "sweet Lena" would probably never decide to side with Seymour in whatever nefarious schemes are coming up and neither would Ian as the bro we've come to know.

I think it's more subtle with Ian, but something I remember thinking to myself in ch. 8 was with the confrontation with Alison's ex, when my Ian threw him to the curb I was like "huh, that was easy..."
I wonder if Ian will come to feel the same at some point, that his new physical exploits are an easy way to deal with problems. I doubt Eva would ever make "domestic abuse" paths or anything like that, but an Ian that successfully takes down several men is arguably a different man to the person that tries to talk himself out of most of his problems.
I don't think Ian would necessarily become more violent, but he might become less tolerable, at least towards other men and in turn he might be more malleable to Axel and Seymour's points of view (you are entitled to what you can take)
I think we’re already seeing some of that, aren’t we?

For example different Lenas react differently to Seymour (and to Emma) during the concert, depending on if she has worked with him or not, how far the last shoot went, and the “seymour_disposition” variable. Lena can go from a “He deserved it” to a “I would've preferred if you hadn't done that” (to Emma).

Similarly during the Milo encounter the “ian_chad” variable will come into play, selecting for the player responses that go from “Milo, please, calm down. I think it's best if you go home and…” to “Dude, get the hell out of here before you get hurt…”

In short: we have been building character traits for the MCs with our choices and now we have to live with the consequences. A Chad Ian will be confrontational while the more laidback “original” Ian, as you put it, will try to talk his way out of his problems.

I know that can be even frustrating at some points (“but, but… In my mind MY Ian wouldn't have said that''), but the sad fact is the game can’t read our minds, heh, it can only read the variables WE HAVE CHOSEN through our decisions.

Last edited:

dundun

Jul 6, 2017
I think we’re already seeing some of that, aren’t we?
In short: we have been building character traits for the MCs with our choices and now we have to live with the consequences.
I know that can be even frustrating at some points (“but, but… In my mind MY Ian wouldn't have said that''), but the sad fact is the game can’t read our minds, heh, it can only read the variables WE HAVE CHOSEN through our decisions.
Sorry to disagree ;). That would be true for a NPC but Lena is a player character and we are even in control of her yet we have no choice at all. Her reacting exactly the same no matter what we made her do before is not a 'reaction' of her. In fact the main critique is that 'the Lena we build' has no consequence at all.

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
In short: we have been building character traits for the MCs with our choices and now we have to live with the consequences. A Chad Ian will be confrontational while the more laidback “original” Ian, as you put it, will try to talk his way out of his problems.

I think the player impression is different though, because the whole Ian/Lena + Holly thing is directed at Ian himself, the other main character (and the one a majority of the player base probably identifies with, being male, you could theorise).

With Ian, many of the exchanges that shows a difference in approach is geared towards secondary characters, which is what my impression is, is part of the criticism of the mentioned Ian/Lena confrontation.
Mostly his variation comes through how he confronts Robert/Milo, how Perry comments on his exploits with women, and his interactions when going out.
Frustratingly however, Emma mentions Ian's attraction towards Lena regardless of what's going on between them. In my playthrough Lena and Ian are nothing more than friends (even though their agenda bar shows :censored:) but Emma still talks about them as if Ian is head over heels for her. Lena just says that she' exaggerating.

I really do hope that Eva will have some consideration for us non-Ian/Lena shippers in some of the variables. I don't mind so much that the early game assumes the interest, it's part of the story after all, but it becomes frustrating when the NPC's keep inferring and implying interest where there never was any expressed. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: DiMoVe
Oct 31, 2019
From Lena's phone conversations in this update,
So, something new for the future. Overall seemed like a good amount of content to me in .8. Honestly expected it be another month or so, since that small fix update to .7 just happen recently.

I had a lot of errors in my main play thru that is very Lena focused. So, the less traveled paths have some clean up to do for the final .8. I was still able to proceed thru with about 10 or 12 errors, using ignore. I will have to use a save prior to any of those, however.

Last edited:

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
From Lena's phone conversations in this update, it sounds like we might meet her mother in an update or two. So, something new for the future.
No doubt. I've actually seen the concept of Lena going home being raised as a possibility both here and on discord, where people generally didn't see what she'd go home for.

Eva quite easily made that possibility much more likely. (RIP Lena's mom?). I wonder if sending money home will come to make a difference here?

Oct 31, 2019
No doubt. I've actually seen the concept of Lena going home being raised as a possibility both here and on discord, where people generally didn't see what she'd go home for.

Eva quite easily made that possibility much more likely. (RIP Lena's mom?). I wonder if sending money home will come to make a difference here?
Yes. I sort of been looking forward to it, since it has been a part of Lena's story from the beginning. Added spoiler insert for my post. I suppose it is sort of spoiler.

BlandChili

Dec 15, 2020
Well, let me put it like this: I no longer play with the context of personally experiencing the difference, since I never play Ian/Lena past their first date.

So in reality, I can't really appreciate if there is a difference, to me Lena/Ian just pops up with what seems to be little regard to my choice, but I will give you that they are rarer than the early chapters (where it was basically the subject of every conversation with Ian and Lena's friends). :ROFLMAO:

I have this little nagging fear that Lena/Holly will never let Ian go.
I dearly pray to the altar of Eva that their relationship can progress to a point where he doesn't come up at all any more.
This isn't to say "I hate Ian," I know Ian is very central to Lena and Holly's stories, but lesbian romance can become frustrating when a male character is constantly used to measure the characters and their development to, ideally Lena/Holly gets a chance to stand on its own too now.

Reactions: Djoki996 and redraw

jizzle35

Mar 5, 2021
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: could not find label 'chapter_eight'.

did someone can help me with this ?
This is actually part of the game and they've done an amazing job going all meta with it, just click around the options

Reactions: Brickman
Nov 15, 2020
From Lena's phone conversations in this update,

Cabot

Jun 20, 2017
Sorry to disagree ;). That would be true for a NPC but Lena is a player character and we are even in control of her yet we have no choice at all. Her reacting exactly the same no matter what we made her do before is not a 'reaction' of her. In fact the main critique is that 'the Lena we build' has no consequence at all.
I was talking in general, while I’m guessing you are referencing specifically to the Ian/Lena/Holly drama, could it be?

If that’s the case I could explain my take on it again (mainly that I think Ian should’ve confronted Lena about Robert if pertinent, I understand all Lenas being pissed because is precisely Holly the third party involved, and also understand how some Lenas won’t stop to contemplate her own faults because they don’t give a fuck, tough I could live with some changes regarding that last part), but I think for the moment the argument has been rendered moot: at Discord Eva has said she will take another look at those dialogues and try to clarify Lena’s stance is she deems it advisable. So I guess we’ll see…

Reactions: RanchFTW

Cabot

Jun 20, 2017
I think the player impression is different though, because the whole Ian/Lena + Holly thing is directed at Ian himself, the other main character (and the one a majority of the player base probably identifies with, being male, you could theorise).

With Ian, many of the exchanges that shows a difference in approach is geared towards secondary characters, which is what my impression is, is part of the criticism of the mentioned Ian/Lena confrontation.
As I said to dundun I was talking more in general than about that specific issue. Conversely this..

Frustratingly however, Emma mentions Ian's attraction towards Lena regardless of what's going on between them. In my playthrough Lena and Ian are nothing more than friends (even though their agenda bar shows :censored:) but Emma still talks about them as if Ian is head over heels for her. Lena just says that she' exaggerating.

I really do hope that Eva will have some consideration for us non-Ian/Lena shippers in some of the variables. I don't mind so much that the early game assumes the interest, it's part of the story after all, but it becomes frustrating when the NPC's keep inferring and implying interest where there never was any expressed. :unsure:
This also bothered me (especially during a run where Ian is going hard for Alison while Lena isn’t interested in him at all). The truth is the code in that dialogue checks for variables like “ian_lena_dating” and “ian_lena_love”, but even if both are false Emma still paints Ian more interested in Lena than he’s at that point.

One could say Emma isn’t up to date, and that she’s talking to the best of her knowledge about the undeniable infatuation Ian had with Lena at the beginning of the game (and that is part of its premise). Or even that the whole dialogue is just a narrative gimmick to let Lena be aware of Gillian and Ian’s love past. But still…

I don’t mind it happening once or twice, but at some point the rest of the cast should stop talking about the Ian/Lena thing as if it's something everybody can see… when in fact there’s not much to talk about at this point (as in some routes can already be happening)

4.60 star(s) 318 Votes