iwassnow

Jul 14, 2019
The reason it was problematic in the code I worked with (2.45) is because it immediately calls storyAdvance
I'm not sure I follow. Most advancing happens only from user input detection. The only exceptions are 1) when a menu button is pressed, because of how buttons work 2) when a video finishes playing 3) when a save file is loaded(to setup the initial game state) 4) when a new game is started(for the same reason) 5) when a combat sequence ends and 6) when using the skip toggle. I actually have these sectioned off with formatting to easily find them for risk of what you're describing(except skip because it's special). All other calls to storyadvance() are based on user input only.

At the end of the fade function, a jump does occur technically, but all that does is update the game data in preparation for the next frame. The actual screen output doesn't change until user input occurs. It's kind of like prefetching because it needs to be able to peek at the next index to prepare certain things. However if you scroll, that all just gets deleted because a new game data is copied out from the list. Jump doesn't trigger advancing, it just prepares the game state for it. That's why the above exceptions exist.

As for the dissolve fader, there's a fading variable that is set and then unset while it's running. During which, all attempts to advance are ignored. In the next build, clicking during this will actually force end the dissolving(by way of completing it isntantly), but you still can't have more than one version of that coroutine running at the same time, so there shouldn't be any race conditions. As it happens, when I was first making the code, we ran into that exact issue and corrected it because it could happen on every frame, not just while using scrollback.

Also you don't need to be a patron to join discord and ask me for the source code. I only mentioned patreon because that's where I send test builds so as to ensure people don't just install them willy-nilly. I'm online now and will be for the next 12 or so hours(though I am sometimes slow to respond).

Reactions: soyuyuka

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
It's not the jump itself that breaks, it's storyAdvance that happens immediately after (and also entire scrollback history after that point). This is how it looks for me in 2.45:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hopefully this is more helpful.

Now about asynchronous bug - it's not about dissolveFader being called again, it's Update being called while dissolveFader is running. It's true that it's protected from being called again, but it's not protected from jump to different chapter happening from scrolling in Update method while it's running (at least it's not in the 2.45 code), so scrollback can reload script while dissolveFader haven't finished yet and then same issue as described above happens. Which is why I added (&& !this.isFading) condition for scrolling to prevent that.

We can talk on discord if you prefer, I think I joined it some time ago for updates but never used it.

Reactions: ElukiaTV

GraveXMachina

Jun 9, 2020
So, reading back a ffew comments...there's apparently also a female lead?

Is playing as one unavoidable or can you skip it?
Not really interested in playing as a female.

Alex5280

Sep 3, 2020

Is playing as one unavoidable or can you skip it?
Not really interested in playing as a female.
You do make some choices for the female characters, but to me this doesn't really feel like a self-insert game, even with the MC. More like watching a movie or TV show. For what it's worth, I highly recommend this game.

GraveXMachina

Jun 9, 2020
You do make some choices for the female characters, but to me this doesn't really feel like a self-insert game, even with the MC. More like watching a movie or TV show. For what it's worth, I highly recommend this game.
Nah, doesn't sound appealing for my taste.

But thanks anyway.

Reactions: Alex5280

david makai

Apr 29, 2022
Story Anon should embrace the spirit of the holiday and release it early to everyone and definitely not just because I'll be on holiday and unable to see it until the new year

Reactions: Pakawaka and smuk

buff

May 29, 2017
Sorry, this gets asked a lot, so some people are eyerolling. It‘s a misleading tag. Yes, technically, some of the story lets you hear the female lead’s internal monologue, but in no way are you role-playing a girl. The main character is very clearly CJ, who is definitely male.

4.60 star(s) 228 Votes