Solak

Nov 22, 2017
I can't seem to find any notes on that, but Sarah does mention that Cro probably had sisters like her, and that they likely died, driving her mad.
Also, Tsukiko claims that Cro has not "given up", claiming that her absence will be traumatic, but productive. So she may not be resigned to not interfere again.
I'm a bit late to that speculation party but doesn't the rock state that it's not a fairy? I as well used to think Cro got sane enough to realise her own insanity, but if it's not a fairy then that doesn't add up. And it's not like Cro to actually lie.

AFAIK, it's not a fairy and it's not one of the 4 sisters, yet is old enough to know and remember sane Carpo. Also caused more harm than good despite its intentions if it's to be believed and knows of alternate worlds, including ones where Carpo won the race (speaking of, wasn't it Cro that not-Leah was keeping on a leash?).

That's all making me think it's a denizen of the Other Side, visiting the real world to observe a conflict that, time and time again, it failed to stop. Something tells me we're actually lacking sufficient information to make a proper deduction just yet, only vague guesses.

Laziness

Feb 14, 2018
I'm a bit late to that speculation party but doesn't the rock state that it's not a fairy? I as well used to think Cro got sane enough to realise her own insanity, but if it's not a fairy then that doesn't add up. And it's not like Cro to actually lie.

AFAIK, it's not a fairy and it's not one of the 4 sisters, yet is old enough to know and remember sane Carpo. Also caused more harm than good despite its intentions if it's to be believed and knows of alternate worlds, including ones where Carpo won the race (speaking of, wasn't it Cro that not-Leah was keeping on a leash?).

That's all making me think it's a denizen of the Other Side, visiting the real world to observe a conflict that, time and time again, it failed to stop. Something tells me we're actually lacking sufficient information to make a proper deduction just yet, only vague guesses.
Going by my notes, the rock says that it has a common ancestry with the fairies, but isn't like them "anymore".
It then later says that it's nothing but mistakes. So it could be a Cro that's forsaken her identity out of guilt.

Reactions: Solak

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Going by my notes, the rock says that it has a common ancestry with the fairies, but isn't like them "anymore".
It then later says that it's nothing but mistakes. So it could be a Cro that's forsaken her identity out of guilt.
I forgot the exact wording. According to your notes, it could actually be Cro then, yes. Even insane, she made it clear she viewed herself above Aìne. Thanks for clearing that up. If it really is Cro, then she's going to rise even more in my "badly-needs-a-hug" list. I've always hated how the group pretty much uses her and doesn't even try to help her, even though she's shown multiple times she's ready to lay down her life for CJ -- and saved his life a few times to boot.

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Another bug - saving at the start of Ch19 created corrupted save. When loading and going forward it just shows white screen with Ch19 text but going back rolls back to start of Ch18.

Corrupted save attached.

Vidaura

Jan 30, 2020
I forgot the exact wording. According to your notes, it could actually be Cro then, yes. Even insane, she made it clear she viewed herself above Aìne. Thanks for clearing that up. If it really is Cro, then she's going to rise even more in my "badly-needs-a-hug" list. I've always hated how the group pretty much uses her and doesn't even try to help her, even though she's shown multiple times she's ready to lay down her life for CJ -- and saved his life a few times to boot.
The problem is she's willing to lay down other people's lives for CJ too. And don't get let the big four throw off your perspective; Cro's a heavyweight. Until they have some way to make her behave, Cro needs to be handled like a live grenade. Without being able to trust her, they can't give her the kind of socialization she needs to get her to a less rabid state.

I'd love to see her get some love too though.

Mar 6, 2021
Another bug - saving at the start of Ch19 created corrupted save. When loading and going forward it just shows white screen with Ch19 text but going back rolls back to start of Ch18.

Corrupted save attached.
That's strange, because your save works fine on my PC.
Although, it might to go back to start of CH18 because savepoint belongs to ch18 1669674804028.png

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
That's strange, because your save works fine on my PC.
Although, it might to go back to start of CH18 because savepoint belongs to ch18 View attachment 2200767
Try loading, going 1 forward, then 1 back, then 1 forward again. If that doesn't work - try to save right after it says chapter 18 end when all text disappears from screen and load from that. I also managed to reproduce it in some other spots, mostly transitions between chapters.

Mar 6, 2021
Try loading, going 1 forward, then 1 back, then 1 forward again. If that doesn't work - try to save right after it says chapter 18 end when all text disappears from screen and load from that. I also managed to reproduce it in some other spots, mostly transitions between chapters.
Ah, yeah, good ol' bug with rolling between chapters. :KEK:
Though, after several reloads (or game restarts) save loads normal.

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
The problem is she's willing to lay down other people's lives for CJ too. And don't get let the big four throw off your perspective; Cro's a heavyweight. Until they have some way to make her behave, Cro needs to be handled like a live grenade. Without being able to trust her, they can't give her the kind of socialization she needs to get her to a less rabid state.

I'd love to see her get some love too though.
I hear you completely. Only flaw which makes me disagree with that logic is that she could "break free" of Kieran's control easily yet is choosing not to. Compared to how she was early on, she is already behaving waaaay more... though it's mostly so that CJ doesn't start hating her.

Still, I can get being scared and wary of her. I probably would be too, what with her early shenanigans and ruining many people's lives. Not helped with her deal with Hayato. Any deal with her now looks suspicious.

Good thing actually, because from a story-telling perspective, she'd make it nigh impossible to create as much suspense and mystery with all her knowledge and power. Better wait until CJ and more or his team could placate or fight even against her to start including her.

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Also inconsistency in UI - when saving or loading it says real save slot number, when deleting save it says slot number relative to current page.

Reactions: buff

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Ah, yeah, good ol' bug with rolling between chapters. :KEK:
Though, after several reloads (or game restarts) save loads normal.
I think figured out why it happens after looking into scripts but fixing that would require some code change. Chapter changes are done in 2 operations - first chapter Chapter_Script and then jump Index, my assumption is that when going backwards in history it correctly changes chapter script but when going forward it ignores chapter switch operation and just does jump (but only when scrolling through history, not by clicking through or skipping normally), which just jumps within current chapter. And it also looks like saving on the index where switch happens can brick save (it loads into permanent white screen after 1 action). And if done in when jump happens to index which doesn't exist in current chapter (for example between chapter 1 and 2) it freezes the game, can be fixed same way as history bug I reported earlier by pressing Load on bottom right and loading some save or going to main menu.

Also settings menu doesn't properly load Display settings, it just shows defaults.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElukiaTV

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Edit: I found what actually causes bug. When scrolling backwards it sets property SceneControl.scrolling = true, which only resets to false in menus or when scrolling forward to the end. When switching between chapters when scrolling back it causes jump to ignore chapter switch because it for some reason has condition which doesn't overwrite chapter when scrolling.

scene-advanceStory
scrolling: True
gameManager.scrollbackPointer: 0
gameManager.scrollback.Count: 2

scene-dissolveFader-hasJump
Index.hasJump: True
Index.hasChapterJump: True
Index.chapterName: Chapter_2_script
Index.jump: 1300

This causes only index to change and then everything fails because index doesn't exist in that chapter.

Original: Nevermind, it's more complicated than that. It actually breaks on going back in history, after that it's completely broken. Also even though I can consistently reproduce it I can't yet see why it happens but if I have time I might check deeper. Currently this is my log for when error happens during scrolling:

back-before
gameManager.gameData.chapter: Chapter_2_script
gameManager.gameData.sceneIndex: 13000
sceneControl.chapterBeforeJump: Chapter_2_script
sceneControl.indexBeforejump: 1300

back-after-Scrollback
gameManager.gameData.chapter: Chapter_1_script
gameManager.gameData.sceneIndex: 1129

back-after-jump
gameManager.gameData.sceneIndex: 1129

back-after-storyAdvance! (breaks here, supposed to go to Chapter_2_script / 1300)
gameManager.gameData.sceneIndex: 1300
sceneControl.chapterBeforeJump: Chapter_1_script
sceneControl.indexBeforejump: 1129

Last edited:

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Ugh, I can see why this condition is there. It fixes another issue with scrolling between chapters.

I managed to fix it, but only by disallowing advancing while fading + temporarily unsetting scrolling flag in place wher scene advances. There should be a much better fix, I'm just not familiar with Unity and how its coroutines work.

My dirty fix:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
So far everything seems to work and it fixed issue with scrolling through chapters.

Last edited:

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Ugh, I can see why this condition is there. It fixes another issue with scrolling between chapters.

I managed to fix it, but only by disallowing advancing while fading + temporarily unsetting scrolling flag in place wher scene advances. There should be a much better fix, I'm just not familiar with Unity and how its coroutines work.

My dirty fix:
So far everything seems to work and it fixed issue with scrolling through chapters.
Thank you for this, we will look into it!

Reactions: soyuyuka

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Replayed a bit to test and found another 2 minor bugs with scrolling after the fix - videos keep playing while scrolling, even though it scrolls properly with fix and some music doesn't stop playing after scrolling past the place where it started but only found one place so far where it happens (right at the start of ch1, which when scrolling backwards causes it to play at the same time as intro video). Already found a fix for movies, I'll see if I can find a fix for music as well.

This seems to fix both:

scrolling with all 3 fixes.

Last edited:

iwassnow

Jul 14, 2019
[a bunch of stuff]

I've been trying to find a logical reason for what you did and how it works but I can't seem to make sense of why it would work. It's worth noting that the code I'm looking at is different from yours since I've been working on some code cleanup for the last two weeks looking for typos etc. So I figured I'd explain how a few things work to give you a better understanding of what goes on under the hood and maybe you can further explore it yourself.

Now then, as for the other issue about scrolling across videos. This is known, and has already been fixed in preparation for the next update(which might mean a longer wait for people playing public, that's up to Anon). Not sure about the music issue but it's possible it's also a known thing that I found and corrected in code for the eventual android build. That fix never migrated back to desktop builds but will eventually, though probably not for the next release as it's a bit of a mess and will require special attention. Patrons get immediate access to all desktop code updates for testing if you're interested in trying them out to see if issues are fixed. Also for techies like yourself, I do give out the source C# code on a case by case basis if you ask me on discord, though I don't give out the unity project files. This way you can see all my comments and notes and get better organization than a decompiler. Don't DM me though, ping me on the server or join VC when I'm there.

And since the topic came up and people are still asking, android release will happen when it's finished. I don't know when that will be. Development on it was suspended while I was convalescing this year and will resume once other priorities are done. There is a semi-working build available for testing somewhere on our discord, but it's still riddled with bugs and is not a good experience yet so it's not officially released. Coding for AndroidOS is a lot more challenging than for a PC as there are hardware limitations that get in the way and set us back a lot. If you're waiting for it and want to help out, join our discord and you can help with testing the next time a test build goes out, whenever that might be.

Reactions: soyuyuka

soyuyuka

Oct 4, 2018
Thank you for explanation, yeah, that's pretty much how I figured it works after I read the code. If you're interested why what I did worked - explanation under spoiler, maybe it will help.
As for the music it only happens when you scrollback from index that had music into index that has movie (or I guess if movie scene index also has music command but I don't think it's used like that anywhere in the game). Because (at least in the code I had) runIndex doesn't update music on scenes with movie - it keeps playing music when scrolling back into movie. Easiest place to check as I said is start of ch1 end of prologue - right at the start of chapter one music starts playing and on previous scene intro video is played, if you scroll one scene back from chapter 1 to chapter 0 - it keeps playing music it's not supposed to be playing in current build.

And about patreon - can't use it because it's blocked (along with every payment method).

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 228 Votes