Sep 26, 2021
It's not hours and hours of the same trope, it's a joke that comes up approximately 4 times over the course of 7 hours into a currently 30 hour game and then completely stops being relevant.
Saying that it's an infrequent joke is kinda downplaying the situation a little, I think. I understand that it's only explicitly mentioned or highlighted by one of CJ's faux pas a handful of times. But, even in non-joke scenes I think Jamie and CJ interact differently with each other before the reveal versus after. Their relationship changes a lot after the reveal, and given that relationships are the core theme of OoT I don't think you can just write off the reason their relationship changes as a joke that isn't worth DNF'ing a story over. Even though the trope is very comedic and funny, it is still important. Plus after the reveal Mizue is in the mix and she is actively trying to erode CJ and Jamie's "bro" relationship so that she (or, really, both of them) can fuck CJ. Every time Mizue makes a play towards that end, we get reminded that CJ used to think Jamie was a guy. Or, I do, at least. Same thing happens whenever they bring up the fact that most of the world still believes Jamie is a guy.

Point being, I think the trope is a lot more important and pervasive in the story than just the times that it's used for a joke, and it continues to be relevant long after the reveal. If someone really really does not like that trope, I can see how it would turn them off of OoT early on.

(I have done this quite a lot in the Pale Carnations
Indeed the Pale Carnations thread has become a shitshow lol

Laziness

Feb 14, 2018
I see - I am admittedly only at the start of the game but the time I played as Jamie has been fairly substantial - enough to warrant the multiple protagonist tag.
I can see that. Jamie and the other non-CJ characters on the front page are more "core cast" than "protagonists", but they certainly do straddle that line sometimes.

buff

May 29, 2017
I can see that. Jamie and the other non-CJ characters on the front page are more "core cast" than "protagonists", but they certainly do straddle that line sometimes.
Eh, only if you automatically consider someone a protagonist if they have some first-person text. Think of something like GRRM's "Song of Ice and Fire" books, there are a ton of characters who get chapters written from their own perspective but some of them are clearly not protagonists.

In this particular case everything revolves around CJ all the time, just once in a while you get to see inside the girls' heads.

Reactions: hmorphone

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Not trying to revive the drama but the dev did come off as overly hostile in their replies. I also agree that threads should not turn into circlejerks and people should be able to criticize freely. As for discussion 'I dont like this because of XXX' is just as valid as 'I like this because of XXX' and meaningful discussion can arise from both. In my own case for example I am not a fan of the memes/anime tropes or the MC but the story is interesting enough to want me to keep going.

I feel like longtime followers of a game can be hostile to new people expressing negative opinions - I myself am guilty of doing that in games I like (I have done this quite a lot in the Pale Carnations and Eternum threads in the past so I may be coming off as a hypocrite when I type this). But I dont see anything wrong with the posts personally except the argument went on for far too long and devolved into something ugly.

I think the best thing to happen for this thread is for a moderator to come and clean this up.
... I said this already, I'll say this again, hoping that people finally stop talking about the drama that blew way out of proportion... The issue has never been that the game has been criticised. Others have done it, no hostile response from the dev or other users. Why?

Because form matters. I can be 100% right on something, if I'm being an ass about it, people will react negatively to me. That's because we humans tend to be social mirrors. We'll reply courteously to courteous people, rudely to rude people. Criticism is fine to voice here, just be mindful of your manners. Be civil.

Your personal sensitivity may not interpret the comments in the same hostile tone as the dev did, but other people have. I have. It wouldn't have hurt the user to say "Hold on, no need to be so hostile and defensive. I was just asking" instead of feeding into the drama. At least it was a fun exercise to analyse.

Agreed on that last point though, a mod should come to clean up the thread a little bit. As for the update, sadly don't have time to play through it atm. Do we have an ETA on when the battle system will be fully implemented though?

kvier

Apr 30, 2018
Very doubtful (there are a lot of names). A few of them have some special value though. (Most of the English names selected by the girls were self-chosen, so you can get an idea of why they might be meaningful.)
I started translating the names that were not (obviously) self-chosen and they're pretty important too. But I don't want to just make a big list of this, because I worry it's all spoilery ... and I may also be seeing things that aren't there!

Aug 15, 2021
... I said this already, I'll say this again, hoping that people finally stop talking about the drama that blew way out of proportion... The issue has never been that the game has been criticised. Others have done it, no hostile response from the dev or other users. Why?

Because form matters. I can be 100% right on something, if I'm being an ass about it, people will react negatively to me. That's because we humans tend to be social mirrors. We'll reply courteously to courteous people, rudely to rude people. Criticism is fine to voice here, just be mindful of your manners. Be civil.

Your personal sensitivity may not interpret the comments in the same hostile tone as the dev did, but other people have. I have. It wouldn't have hurt the user to say "Hold on, no need to be so hostile and defensive. I was just asking" instead of feeding into the drama. At least it was a fun exercise to analyse.

Agreed on that last point though, a mod should come to clean up the thread a little bit. As for the update, sadly don't have time to play through it atm. Do we have an ETA on when the battle system will be fully implemented though?
Even if the post could be interpreted as hostile I think personal insults, calling people stupid etc that the dev was doing was in poor taste which is the only reason I made my comment. The later posts felt hostile to me as well but I feel like they certainly did not start out that way. Regardless I dont think it is right to insult people or call them idiots for criticizing the game as long as the criticism is limited to the game itself no matter how hostile you think the post is.

I guess it is understandable that when you put in so much effort and passion into something people making negative comments can hurt. It is easier said than done but I think it is better to just ignore these posts. And if the post really bothers you just block the other person. There is the report function as well - my experience has been that the moderators have been quick to respond to reports. I am new to this thread but I dont think this is the first time something like this has happened and I am sure it will not be the last. Just save yourself a headache and dont engage. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by arguing with strangers on the internet.

In any case let's not discuss this any further. It is a shitty topic to focus on when we could be talking about the game instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mythrs and Solak

Solak

Nov 22, 2017
Even if the post could be interpreted as hostile I think personal insults, calling people stupid etc that the dev was doing was in poor taste which is the only reason I made my comment. The later posts felt hostile to me as well but I feel like they certainly did not start out that way. Regardless I dont think it is right to insult people or call them idiots for criticizing the game as long as the criticism is limited to the game itself no matter how hostile you think the post is.

I guess it is understandable that when you put in so much effort and passion into something people making negative comments can hurt. It is easier said than done but I think it is better to just ignore these posts. And if the post really bothers you just block the other person. There is the report function as well - my experience has been that the moderators have been quick to respond to reports. I am new to this thread but I dont think this is the first time something like this has happened and I am sure it will not be the last. Just save yourself a headache and dont engage. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by arguing with strangers on the internet.

In any case let's not discuss this any further. It is a shitty topic to focus on when we could be talking about the game instead.
Granted and I'll definitely agree on that point. Reacting with emotions - insults in this case - wasn't the right move. The mods also do seem to be quite reactive so there isn't much to disagree on what you laid out there. Let's leave it to rest now.

ElukiaTV

Mar 11, 2019
I don't know why, my first thought was that she was going to bash Vickie's head in with that skateboard! I like it either way!
Im sure she wants to do MANY things to Vic, and all the other girls..
bashing their heads with a skateboard.... not sure its one of em.

• Haha
Reactions: Solak

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
Not going to lie, I kinda was into the assistant until this update. lol Noooot anymore. And I i'm not even mad. I love love Leah more now.

I do like Shayla though. I hope we get to at least have some fun with her as CJ.
I know, we hare a long line of girls to get through, so we shouldnt be adding anymore but Aguri....as a big tiddy shinobi girl.... I'm absolutely down for it.

Reactions: ElukiaTV

Soulpuppet

Sep 10, 2020
Story Anon, you beautiful fucking person you. I FUCKING LOVED this update. Ooooooo that ending literally made me yell Noooooooo!!!!!! Give me MOAR!!! I can't wait to see what's next. Thank you for such an amazing story, ups and downs, some of my nitpicking aside about the Leah ark, I still can't get enough of seeing where CJ and the girls are getting up to next :love:

4.60 star(s) 228 Votes