FAForest

Aug 24, 2020
Just got a bit into the chapter 20 unity link posted on tuesday, and the renders look a bit gritty, or pixelated/rough around the edges. Is this just because it's a non-final version, something on my end or what's up?

And if there's one functionality I've noticed missing compared to renpy so far, it's being able to right click back to the game from any of the menues (from right clicking to saves, going to settings or whatever else).

No real issues with the engine transfer other than that so far! Love the game, rough edges and all. :)

/edit

Hmm, something to hide the UI like pressing "H" would be nice too.

Last edited:

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
Story Anon New Kieran signature is done, as well as an updated Leah sig that I'm much happier with. (I kinda cheated and took a render from twitter, but bonus points cause it sort of looks like she's flipping the bird from a distance.)
You are welcome to keep both Leahs, but simply replacing the old one makes them all fit nicely in a 3x3 grid. (And I haven't seen anyone using the old one so it should be safe to.)
I updated the old post with the new sigs (and may have rearranged them to be more aesthetically pleasing):

cubba

Jul 12, 2018
Nice Sigs! I can't belive I missed this game so far.
I'm kind of hyped right now :D

A "skip" oder "auto" button for combat would be nice though (if there is more combat in the future).

Last edited:

Story Anon

You're out of touch, I'm out of time.
Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Story Anon New Kieran signature is done, as well as an updated Leah sig that I'm much happier with. (I kinda cheated and took a render from twitter, but bonus points cause it sort of looks like she's flipping the bird from a distance.)
You are welcome to keep both Leahs, but simply replacing the old one makes them all fit nicely in a 3x3 grid. (And I haven't seen anyone using the old one so it should be safe to.)
I updated the old post with the new sigs (and may have rearranged them to be more aesthetically pleasing):
Oh thank you! I'll get the OP updated ASAP!

Reactions: Kitsune241

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
Oh thank you! I'll get the OP updated ASAP!
I might end up switching to the Kieran one myself, she's really growing on me.
I have a soft spot for "evil bitch" characters that lose the "evil" but keep the "bitch" when they become good. Bitch for the forces of good is always great.

Last edited:

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Monday update:

Work on the Unity build is going quite well, I was pushing to be able to have a release build of the Unity version of Vol. 1 out by today but I think it’s worth taking a bit of time just to iron out any remaining kinks. Thank you to everyone who played the Ch20 standalone and gave feedback, it’s really been helpful in sorting out some unnoticed issues that would have affected the entire build.

We will likely have a test build of Vol. 1 (and hopefully the current chunk of Vol. 2) out for testers later this week and should everything go smoothly, we’ll do a public release and a thread bump.

Onto the good news though: My part in the Unity rebuild has lightened up, so I’ve been able to keep working on new chapters. The art for Ch21 is completely done and I’m in the process of writing it now. So once the Unity build is finally ready, you’ll have new chapters to play very shortly thereafter.

That brings us to the next topic: Chapter 22. Without any spoilers, it’s safe to say Ch22 is this arcs version of Ch15 and will likely be as long, if not longer, than the entire prologue with approximately 5x the number of animations of Ch15 and everything that entails.

Suffice it to say, I’m certain it will take more than a week to finish. That being said, I will try to release side quest content every week, as some of it will actually have an effect on Ch22 when completed prior to it.

Anyway, thank you guys for your patience and your support. Some very exciting stuff is nearly here.

And as a little treat, Jamie handholding.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
Seems interesting, will try it out when next update go out, wonder why it never got into my radar before though Oo
And 6-7 hours length for 19 chapters seems kinda low, is this stat outdated?

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Should I give up on seeing this game come back to Android?:cry:
A big part of the Unity migration is so that Android will once again be supported.

Seems interesting, will try it out when next update go out, wonder why it never got into my radar before though Oo
It's about 8-9 now. OoT is vaguely popular on the LiL discord, so there's plenty of people who could tell you more about it there if you're on that.

Reactions: Vizer007

Kitsune241

Aug 25, 2017
Story Anon uses the term chapters to mean something a lot closer to chapters in a book, where as most devs use it to mean something like a full arc of the story. So each chapter is something like 20 minutes (except for the last chapter in a volume which is larger).
Also, while it's a lot different in tone than LiL, if you enjoy LiL because of it's well fleshed out characters you should definitely check this out.
Edit: And the dev themselves beat me to replying.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Story Anon uses the term chapters to mean something a lot closer to chapters in a book, where as most devs use it to mean something like a full arc of the story. So each chapter is something like 20 minutes (except for the last chapter in a volume which is larger).
Also, while it's a lot different in tone than LiL, if you enjoy LiL because of it's well fleshed out characters you should definitely check this out.
Edit: And the dev themselves beat me to replying.
Yeah exactly. Every chapter is supposed to be an episode in an anime. Not just in terms of being about 25 minutes each but they all have a full introduction -> exposition -> climax -> falling action (sometimes).

They aren't quite self contained but I definitely write for the weekly audience.

cubba

Jul 12, 2018
I got a question about the unity build wich is kind of important for me since this is a main reason why I avoid most non Renpy games:
Will I still be able to use a scrollback function like in Renpy?
I know it is possible but apparantly it sucks if you try to include it later in the develoment... or so I've heard :)

ElukiaTV

Mar 11, 2019
I got a question about the unity build wich is kind of important for me since this is a main reason why I avoid most non Renpy games:
Will I still be able to use a scrollback function like in Renpy?
I know it is possible but apparantly it sucks if you try to include it later in the develoment... or so I've heard :)
Yes the scrollback function is in, so is right clic to enter/exit save menu.

Reactions: Laziness and cubba

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
So, if it's my first time playing should i go for the Unity version? As i understood it's not complete so i'am not sure.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
So, if it's my first time playing should i go for the Unity version? As i understood it's not complete so i'am not sure.
If it's your first time playing, please go for the Ren'py version. The Unity build right now needs a lot of testing and will eventually be the main branch for OoT but that's still at least a week or two away.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
The majority of games made in Unity are poorly optimized and "bad" as you said, I was however positively surprised to learn that Genshin Impact is made in Unity. But for example Pillars of Eternity franchise is also made in Unity and the constant loading screens, poor optimization even on high-end machines and several other games that I've tried using the same engine just makes it look poor.

I am not a coder so I can't attest to this but it's said that Unity is easier to learn in comparison to Unreal engine.

As far as I understood the Unity version has some bugs/not at same level of content as the Ren'Py one but I believe the developer claims that using the saves from Ren'py should be possible. So I guess it's up to you for the most part.
Modern Unity is a fine engine but requires an actual programmer to make functional. Thankfully in our case, we have a real programmer and we're basically just playing a slide show which doesn't tax Unity in the slightest.

Almost all of the bugs in the current Unity build are a result of converting a huge Ren'py script to the Unity format.

EZ8lt

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2019
The majority of games made in Unity are poorly optimized and "bad" as you said, I was however positively surprised to learn that Genshin Impact is made in Unity. But for example Pillars of Eternity franchise is also made in Unity and the constant loading screens, poor optimization even on high-end machines and several other games that I've tried using the same engine just makes it look poor.

I am not a coder so I can't attest to this but it's said that Unity is easier to learn in comparison to Unreal engine.

As far as I understood the Unity version has some bugs/not at same level of content as the Ren'Py one but I believe the developer claims that using the saves from Ren'py should be possible. So I guess it's up to you for the most part.
Unity is easier if you
a, have high level coding skills
b, an actual team of developers like those pro games that made under Unity and you'd never think so
otherwise, you're gonna have a haaard time, especially with rebuilding every feature that Renpy has as a basic but Unity doesn't.

I'm bummed out of the engine switch, Unity games are usually have shitty save compatibility, means I have to manually copy save files everytime because of the lack of a persistent save file, and because of the massive amount of game breaking bugs that very so often haunts them.

Story Anon

Game Developer
May 4, 2020
Unity is easier if you
a, have high level coding skills
b, an actual team of developers like those pro games that made under Unity and you'd never think so
otherwise, you're gonna have a haaard time, especially with rebuilding every feature that Renpy has as a basic but Unity doesn't.

I'm bummed out of the engine switch, Unity games are usually have shitty save compatibility, means I have to manually copy save files everytime because of the lack of a persistent save file, and because of the massive amount of game breaking bugs that very so often haunts them.
Save files from the current unity test build are already going to be compatible with new releases. No transfers necessary.

4.60 star(s) 228 Votes