SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
Glad to see most of my favorite games are in the top 10 weighted
Hah, with a little more effort and after some time this game will outshine Bdik, lol. Too sad it still not really growing with patrons. There is literally dozens of games where authors almost openly milk their supporters or write stories that can only be good as kindling fuel (if it was written on paper) and still they have large patrons base.
Why this is happening, it's a mystery to me. Or maybe these people just have very "specific" taste :poop:

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
Hah, with a little more effort and after some time this game will outshine Bdik, lol. Too sad it still not really growing with patrons. There is literally dozens of games where authors almost openly milk their supporters or write stories that can only be good as kindling fuel (if it was written on paper) and still they have large patrons base.
Why this is happening, it's a mystery to me. Or maybe these people just have very "specific" taste :poop:
I believe there are two reasons for that.
1. A (to me) surprisingly large amount of people simply skip Honey Select games without even looking at them, as they prefer the more „realistic“ look of DAZ renders.

And 2. Many people, myself included at First, are sceptical about what to expect from this game and they need to actually take the plunge to see if they enjoy this or not. Some are just turned off by how the characters look (size of their boobs for example, which is pretty much perfect in my opinion, is an absolute no-go for others). I was pleasantly surprised even though it rides the border between what I find enjoyable and where I don‘t want to tread.

Reactions: Walnutt

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Some are just turned off by how the characters look (size of their boobs for example,
Just on this point, popular games have a lot of females with big breasts like in Pale Carnation (BaDIK not to quote it). But yeah generally HS games have less supporters than DAZ games

Also art is highly subjective and not a sure thing at all. Average art can make more money than very good art sometimes, happens in movies and music too.

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
I believe there are two reasons for that.
1. A (to me) surprisingly large amount of people simply skip Honey Select games without even looking at them, as they prefer the more „realistic“ look of DAZ renders.

And 2. Many people, myself included at First, are sceptical about what to expect from this game and they need to actually take the plunge to see if they enjoy this or not. Some are just turned off by how the characters look (size of their boobs for example, which is pretty much perfect in my opinion, is an absolute no-go for others). I was pleasantly surprised even though it rides the border between what I find enjoyable and where I don‘t want to tread.
1. I also thought that there could be reason because of Honey Select, as you say, but I was browsing games quite some time and noticed that there is plenty of games using this engine and still their authors have large support. That's why I said it's kinda mystery to me. Probably, people get used to ordinary-vanilla stuff and something even slightly different from that - it's huge turn off for them. This reason I find really surprising for me, since when I first time joined this site, I was expecting large group of people who open to various kinks and depravity, but turns out, overwhelming majority only up for some romantic stuff, or power fantasy harems (which I can tolerate in some small portions, but not when 8 /10 games are about it).

2. Boobs are ok here, but some variety in size also would be nice. At least they looks normal, not in shape of torpedoes, which is huge turn off for me. But I must admit, they quite lucky with genes, to have such sizes without being pregnant.

Reactions: sunaboz

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
I agree that Carnations is one of the best games on F95, no doubt!
As for why some games have a big patron base and other do not, I am quite baffled myself. I absolutely cannot understand how a milker and liar like gumdrop has still several hundred supporters, after 3 years of delays, lies and a game "revamp" that is an open "frak you all with a beanpole" from the Dev.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, I have to admit, the game being so nuanced in most things, I'm kinda surprised at all the women being so gifted in the chest area.

That said, it's a very minor critique. Besides, my tastes lean quite a lot toward boob-man and these are probably the best looking Honey Select breasts I've seen, no joke. "Torpedoes", as someone said, do not look good IMO.

sunaboz

Donor
Jun 25, 2018
I don't get why it has so few patrons either. It has very high number of reviews and a significant amount of responses in the thread, something that many more financially successful games lack (e.g. Deviant Anomalies or Ripples). What's more important though it's a high quality game with no weak points basically.
Fourth on the weighted list now, surpassing even City of Broken Dreamers.
Wow, just wow.
Some BDIK fan has just noticed it and wrote a "review" just to downvote it.

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, I have to admit, the game being so nuanced in most things, I'm kinda surprised at all the women being so gifted in the chest area.
When it comes to the topic of chest size, my personal take on nuance is: there's big breasts and there's... really big breasts.

Jokes aside, that's actually one of the few areas that GIL and I overlap with in our taste, and since we're tailoring the project to our personal preferences and what we like to see in a game, things have ended up being rather uniform in that area for better (my take) AND worse.

On the topic of patreon, we've actually received more support than I ever dared to imagine (and we grow with each update), so I'm very very content. That said, I have the suspicion we could be a lil' bigger if we capitalized more on the patron reward side of things. As it stands, we're not exactly the most enticing page to subscribe to, but that suits us just fine as we just want to focus on making the visual novel rather than doling out custom renders and other goodies. I could be off base with that though.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
When it comes to the topic of chest size, my personal take on nuance is: there's big breasts and there's... really big breasts.

Jokes aside, that's actually one of the few areas that GIL and I overlap with in our taste, and since we're tailoring the project to our personal preferences and what we like to see in a game, things have ended up being rather uniform in that area for better (my take) AND worse.

On the topic of patreon, we've actually received more support than I ever dared to imagine (and we grow with each update), so I'm very very content. That said, I have the suspicion we could be a lil' bigger if we capitalized more on the patron reward side of things. As it stands, we're not exactly the most enticing page to subscribe to, but that suits us just fine as we just want to focus on making the visual novel rather than doling out custom renders and other goodies. I could be off base with that though.
As for breasts, I normally prefer them a bit smaller. Women should not be flat, but too big breasts I consider a turn-off. PC is at the upper limit, but still on the right side since they fit the characters. So no problem, especially sonce you are really good at making HS purr. I mentiond it before, someday I would really like to know one or two of the things you do/use to get such great pics out of HS/AiS.

I am glad that you two are content with your growth. I wish you much more being noticed for the great game you make, but I think on most part you are right on the Janus face that are patron rewards and what it could lead to.
I know more than one game here and elsewhere, where over time the patron goodies and requests "crowded out" the game development, leading to delays or forcing the Devs onto paths they actually did not want. In a couple cases it even led to the complete stop of the game, the "rewards" having taken on a life of their own.

Reactions: TamaMountain

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
o no problem, especially sonce you are really good at making HS purr. I mentiond it before, someday I would really like to know one or two of the things you do/use to get such great pics out of HS/AiS.
That's GILs area, as I haven't touch the studio in a year and a half since we began working together, buuuut...

Render editor, the linear rendering experiment (LRE) mod, the image based lighting (IBL) mod, and an attention for detail go a long way in getting the most out of the studio.

Oh and here's what GIL said about it earlier in the thread:

Thank you kindly to all for the props. I really try my best with those expressions. HSPE is a blessing in that regard, being able to tailor the morphs to your needs (to some degree)

I'd say there are several key factors here. First and foremost is the use of the IBL (Image Based Lighting) mod. Not an easy one to install or use, but degrees of mastery in its offerings dramatically increase the quality of the work. You ofc should be shooting in native 4k resolution and have some sort of understanding about photography light, particularly within the limitations of the pretty lacking version of unity HS works under. I do use HoneyShot to take the actual pictures but it does little for me since I don't need the resolution upscaling.

4.90 star(s) 477 Votes