selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
Kathleen practically tells the mc that shes not sending the tape out, the purpose of saying that was to fuck with rosalind and see if shed do it.
Nice catch there.
I had to review the pre-shoot scene with Kat and Ian to get it. Originally i was as dim-witted as Edwin and settled with the "we blur your face".

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
Really? Damn, I missed more points than I thought then. Perhaps the issue isn't so much getting the points as it is knowing what a "high number" is. Like I was under the impression that ending ch3up3 with 20 affection was fairly high, when apparently it wasn't. And now I'm locked out of affection options for Veronica as I have no older saves I can reload to score an additional point.
In the current update you can gain +1 Affection by offering some validation to her in the pre-exhibition restaurant scene and another +1 by putting on a show for the crowd in her exhibition scene. Go for them!

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
In the current update you can gain +1 Affection by offering some validation to her in the pre-exhibition restaurant scene and another +1 by putting on a show for the crowd in her exhibition scene. Go for them!
Oh shit, I think I missed that first +1 then. Thanks!

Edit: Nope, I got both those points. I actually started chapter 4 with 19. Meh, I'll probably turn this run into "Edwin embraces the club" instead and go for Veronica in my next playthrough.

• Sad
Reactions: selberdreher

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Yes, even though the game takes place in a high-class brothel, all the women working there turn out to have just started, and after having sex with the MC reject all other clients!

But seriously: no. If seeing guys other than the MC have sex bothers you, this is not the game for you. There is loads (no pun intended) of sex all over the place, involving a large number of men.
Carnation candidates were not brothel workers. They've never been sex workers. They have been recruited for the competition. They don't just turn out to have newly chosen prostitution as a career. Since they have not made that choice.

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
Damn i was looking forward to finally read your summary, but i held back until the public release to avoid spoilers.
As always it is a invaluable Read, and i do very much appreciate your input from the "softer" side of PC players.
After catching up to the current status of this thread (still like 14+ pages to go) i would like to pick each others brains again, that is if i find something worthwhile to add, however just for now real quick:
(...)
Dalia's request we check up on Harper and Lucy.

Dalia's request is certainly interesting. AFAICT, it only happens if you turned down Kathleen's birthday gift.
(...)
In my Playthrough Dalia approached me with this request although i took Kathleens Birthday gift. So this doesnt seem to be the trigger.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ename144

TD1900

Game Developer
Dec 8, 2017
I met the game now, downloaded and looked at the videos, saw some men having sex with women, would it be possible to avoid this, leaving them only to the mc, or is it part of the story?
The above is a bit of misinformation, but as it's been said, you won't be able to avoid seeing old men dicking down prostitutes and whacking off. So I'd avoid this project if that puts you off.

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
Never understood why devs add shitty free roam sections to their games; ruins the flow of the story in my opinion.
Despite your unnecessarily pejorative phrasing, I partially agree with you on this. I think they are tedious, and while they not necessarily ruin, they do hamper the flow of the story and i am always anxious i have missed something (like talk with A, then B, afterwards return to A again, to get finally to C etc).

So why do devs add them in VNs?
Possible explanations are:
  1. To show off showcase their coding proficiency: it is presumably harder to program a free-roam than just a linear storyline. I guess this can be a source of pride for a coder and perhaps even fun for them to do. So it is good for their motivation, which in turn is good for us.
  2. To intentionally break the flow of the story, in order to prevent Players to just skip through the whole content they worked their ass off for half a year in minutes, and then immediately start complaining about the next update is six months away.
  3. To please those who actually enjoy this gameplay.
  4. To give players more Agency in what order they experience the content available or if they prefer to not make a decision at all. For instance in this update i pondered if i should skip the whole Jakob/Emma/Warren issue by entirely avoiding Jakob. If you dont click on him, you dont have to commit to any of those two choices and their possible repercussions, and as a matter of fact the Velvet Room Emma scene plays out differently for those three instances.
Yes, i am not a fan of free-roam sections in a VN and i very rarely play sandbox games for this reason, but i can understand why Developers may want to insert them into their game.

Edit: changed an unintentional derogative verb to an (hopefully, damn that foreign language!) intended positive one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungles70

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Damn i was looking forward to finally read your summary, but i held back until the public release to avoid spoilers.
As always it is a invaluable Read, and i do very much appreciate your input from the "softer" side of PC players.
After catching up to the current status of this thread (still like 14+ pages to go) i would like to pick each others brains again, that is if i find something worthwhile to add, however just for now real quick:

In my Playthrough Dalia approached me with this request although i took Kathleens Birthday gift. So this doesnt seem to be the trigger.
I'm away from home at the moment so I can't do any testing, but my high Toughness run was not asked to check on Harper and Lucy, yet it was when I reloaded an earlier save and turned Kathleen's gift down (I was curious as to how it would change the dialog with Rose).

From reading the new walkthrough, it looks like the scene has a threefold trigger: turn down Kat's gift, OR have Jacob vouch for the MC to Harper, OR be on Veronica's path.

The first two make sense; as Dalia said, the house girls talk. The third implies that Dalia reads something trustworthy into the MC sucking up to Samson, which is certainly interesting.

Reactions: selberdreher

Foind

Jan 3, 2021
Don't understand why people are so critical of sandbox and freeroams, I actually really love them and minigames, anything that increases player interactivity with the game/avn is a plus for me because it helps in making me feel like I am a part of the game instead of just someone on the outside looking in while narrative plays out.
And it isnt really bad in PC like you'd miss content if you chose x instead of y, aside from the first bar freeroam with feli/ian/mina, iirc MC is able to do everything available in the freeroam provided you don't intentionally cut it short

TM | Twisted Games

GDI Spec Ops
Dec 30, 2020
As with all things, sandbox and freeroams are as good as the designers implementing them. I tend to prefer not to have them, but in Pale Carnations they are used to add a depth of character to the club itself, and allow you to interact with more people then you would otherwise get a chance to. In BaDIK it would be nice to have less, but they serve a function in letting you dictate what happens during set pieces, and interact with social media.

In lesser games, which I will not mention, they often are used as ways to repeat scenes to add filler to games, or to make timing puzzles, again, to artificially extend the length of a game. So, while in general I prefer a kinetic novel, it's all about the design in the end.

DH4444

Apr 14, 2019
I no longer do business with Patreon. From the number of SubscribeStar subscribers many developers have in addition to their Patreon accounts, I'm clearly not the only one.
Maybe you could add SubscribeStar or Buy me a Coffee as other payment sources. I really like your game and want to support it. Keep up the great work.
If you could, add date & time to the saves. It would help in keeping track of various routes tried.

Reactions: hellohello95zone

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Don't understand why people are so critical of sandbox and freeroams, I actually really love them and minigames, anything that increases player interactivity with the game/avn is a plus for me because it helps in making me feel like I am a part of the game instead of just someone on the outside looking in while narrative plays out.
And it isnt really bad in PC like you'd miss content if you chose x instead of y, aside from the first bar freeroam with feli/ian/mina, iirc MC is able to do everything available in the freeroam provided you don't intentionally cut it short
To each their own. Personally I'm ok with freeroam but not with "sandbox" or too many minigames. I "play"(read) those games more like novels than real games. The gameplay simply being able to choose what you want the MC to do, getting more engaged/immersed with the story.

Also it's hard to play with one hand :BootyTime:

4.90 star(s) 460 Votes