selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
To each their own. Personally I'm ok with freeroam but not with "sandbox" or too many minigames. I "play"(read) those games more like novels than real games. The gameplay simply being able to choose what you want the MC to do, getting more engaged/immersed with the story.

Also it's hard to play with one hand :BootyTime:
Yes, i have a similar approach; my preferred "gameplay" in VNs is to have a lot of meaningful choices, to be able to shape my own story in the frame a creator has set up for me.
So that means kinetic novels, which i dont consider to be games, are normally off the table completely for me, and those with fake choices like [continue/game over] or "Fuck this Girl?" [yes/no] are in essential kinetic also.
I can read them if they are good enough, but i cant play them.

The only advantage of free-roams over choice-driven ones is, that a Dev is able to present a scenery without distracting, view blocking decision bars, which is a major one, given GIL3Ds talent to create those pictures.
The heavy, heavy downside of free-roams is the hunt for interactable pixels in the sceneries, which disrupts the flow of the story. In my opinion there is no real cure to this, because either one doesnt provide any visual help at all, which would be the most immersive, or outlines and/or highlights interactable objects in a certain way, which isnt gold either in terms of immersion.

I mentioned my anxiousness of missing something in free roams, which i would like to clarify: I am totally cool not to get to see all the available content, if it is based on my decisions, because that is exactly what meaningful choices are for, but i hate to miss content i could see in my current playthrough just because i failed to click on some pixels i overlooked. Which lead in my case to check in on the club owners gathering with Hana for like six times and multiple times with Warren and Jakob in the security room to be sure nothing has changed.
This is tedious and severely hampers the flow.

In my opinion there is next to nothing a free-roam can do, which cannot be achieved also by a well designed, branching and converging decision tree; and after you worked through that tree you have the peace of mind, that you did all what there was to do.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Yes, i have a similar approach; my preferred "gameplay" in VNs is to have a lot of meaningful choices, to be able to shape my own story in the frame a creator has set up for me.
So that means kinetic novels, which i dont consider to be games, are normally off the table completely for me, and those with fake choices like [continue/game over] or "Fuck this Girl?" [yes/no] are in essential kinetic also.
I can read them if they are good enough, but i cant play them.

The only advantage of free-roams over choice-driven ones is, that a Dev is able to present a scenery without distracting, view blocking decision bars, which is a major one, given GIL3Ds talent to create those pictures.
The heavy, heavy downside of free-roams is the hunt for interactable pixels in the sceneries, which disrupts the flow of the story. In my opinion there is no real cure to this, because either one doesnt provide any visual help at all, which would be the most immersive, or outlines and/or highlights interactable objects in a certain way, which isnt gold either in terms of immersion.

I mentioned my anxiousness of missing something in free roams, which i would like to clarify: I am totally cool not to get to see all the available content, if it is based on my decisions, because that is exactly what meaningful choices are for, but i hate to miss content i could see in my current playthrough just because i failed to click on some pixels i overlooked. Which lead in my case to check in on the club owners gathering with Mina for like six times and multiple times with Warren and Jakob in the security room to be sure nothing has changed.
This is tedious and severely hampers the flow.

In my opinion there is next to nothing a free-roam can do, which cannot be achieved also by a well designed, branching and converging decision tree; and after you worked through that tree you have the peace of mind, that you did all what there was to do.
I agree with you about kenetic novels, but I'm a little more forgiving of free roams. I do think they can serve a useful purpose, like shaking up the gameplay, or illustrating the size and scope of the Carnation Club more intuitively than a series of pre-scheduled talks would. They can also make it a lot easier for players who don't want to see every last detail to skip the bits they don't care about.

How to balance those advantages against the fear of accidentally missing content (for completionists) or having to track down specific interactions (for speed runners) is a tricky business. But I'd say PC does a pretty good job of it.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: selberdreher

poarvl

Jul 28, 2019

poarvl

Jul 28, 2019
Pale Carnations [CH3UP4- Public] WT Mod (LunarMist & seigram )

Updated seigram's Pale Carnations Mod to CH3UP4
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Here Linked is a Walkthrough By MrBubu for getting various paths and scenes
WalkThroughByMrBubu

If anyone has any Problems with the Mod feel free to Message Me
I have reduced the BB Code(color)usage for CircleJerker (Hope your eyes are not bleeding:p)

Download: WorkUpload PixelDrain
The mod is broken. Once I apply in and try to enter scene menu in a memory room, the game crushes.

ddaisy

Jun 5, 2019
I wonder what's the reasoning behind the affection penalty with Rose if we let Ian bang her. Is it because she feels rejected? Or maybe she finds Ian repulsive and she's angry at Edwin for (indirectly) forcing her to have sex with the pretty boy?

Lunarmist

Darkness of The Mist
Uploader
Game Compressor
Feb 5, 2022
The mod is broken. Once I apply in and try to enter scene menu in a memory room, the game crushes.
Just delete "extras.rpy" from the mod. It used to be an gallery unlocker from seigram which I didnt update

Apr 6, 2018
wow, 10 minutes in and I'm already amazed at what the author made of the usually crappy models (can't name it, the one with the ugly asian males with what-beard-is-this) and the scripting. And the UI. And the audio... can't make it bad now.

MrBubu

Mar 31, 2022
Thank you for your work, but could you make a walkthrough in a way of seigram did, since all this diagrams... umm, rather... very hard to decipher and understand.
Well to each their own, I actually can't decipher most text walkthroughs with jump to #XX if choice A otherwise B.
It is OK if you want to play 1 linear game, but I make them so you can try to replay every paths and see what you might have missed.

So sorry but I will not make a text walkthrough on top of that one.
Hopefully someone else will, we should always be spoiled for choice...

Cheers,
Mr Bubu

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
I wonder what's the reasoning behind the affection penalty with Rose if we let Ian bang her. Is it because she feels rejected? Or maybe she finds Ian repulsive and she's angry at Edwin for (indirectly) forcing her to have sex with the pretty boy?
In Rosies introduction scene she tells Edwin, that she was introduced to Killian by Kathleen a month ago, so Killian was her "Handler" for that period. She also reveals that she was afraid of him "just stringing" her along and the Deal with the club was just a trick. Ian sent Rosie to meet Edwin and she was told to "convince" him of her qualifications, effectively pimping her out. The fact that we loose an affection point with her when we admit to Ian being our friend, shows us that Ian, at the very least, failed to establish a good rapport with her, and more likely - given Killians attitute towards women he sees beneath himself - has already earned her aversion.
Handing Rosie over for the shoot is essentially the same dynamic in reverse, and shows her that you are apples from the same rotten tree.

Depending on your Playthrough there may of course be also other reasons, like feelings of betrayal, feelings of rejection, feelings of not taking your deal seriously and the general preference to do a highly unpleasant act rather with you than with someone else.

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
(...) I do think they can serve a useful purpose, like shaking up the gameplay, or illustrating the size and scope of the Carnation Club more intuitively than a series of pre-scheduled talks would. They can also make it a lot easier for players who don't want to see every last detail to skip the bits they don't care about.

How to balance those advantages against the fear of accidentally missing content (for completionists) or having to track down specific interactions (for speed runners) is a tricky business. But I'd say PC does a pretty good job of it.
A few reasons for free-roams and their purposes were also outlined in my post here. I am not advocating that PC should drop free-roams in the future, on the contrary, albeit on the one hand i would be relieved if they are gone, i would on the other hand miss a "mingle with the guests, housegirls and carnations at your will" before the exhibitions, now that it has been established.
I just would have preferred them not to be included in the first place and kept to a minimum in future updates.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022
This thread needs an enema to get rid of all the idjit and ntr posts.

Anyway I don't know if it's confirmed but I truly hope we the player decided who wins the competition and that this masterpiece has real endings.

Sadly most devs suck at endings and this one deserves a few great ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD1900

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021

Anyway I don't know if it's confirmed but I truly hope we the player decided who wins the competition and that this masterpiece has real endings.

Now ur making me want an enema scene in this game :(

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

Seeing as Edwin is the one behind helping the exhibition events with Kathleen and already had his hand into the outcome of both weeks i would say yes.

4.90 star(s) 460 Votes