dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said I don't want to accidentally miss out on things I haven't read because of it, Is there a way to get rid of the mod? I don't see another solution right now
Remove the mod files. If you don't know how to, reinstall the game

Reactions: cofi023

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Quick question for the damned souls who follow Kathleen twisted route...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
My reading is that Kathleen, as Chuck, lack some empathy. Soif any kind of relationship between her and Edwin happens, i think, their bond focus will be on some high doses of mindfucking, lust and bdsm sex.
Don't expect true friendship and love to come out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AwsHen

selberdreher

Dec 29, 2017
My reading is that Kathleen, as Chuck, lack some empathy. (...)
Don't expect true friendship and love to come out of it.
So i was wondering to what extend empathy is a necessary precondition for friendship and love and how this would relate to Kathleens sadism.

Although there seem to be a general understanding on the concept of empathy, it is actually a rather amorphous and ill-defined trait. Apparently there are like 43 different definitions and classifications in current psychological scientific literature about this.
Without going into greater detail there seems to be a common trend to differentiate at least between the concepts of functional or cognitive empathy and emotional or authentic empathy.

The first one entails the ability to conclude from external signs and non-verbal communication of our counterpart onto their internal emotional state. It looks like e.g. people on the autism spectrum especially struggle with this kind, and therefore get attributed with a lack of empathy. Autists need to decode "They make a 'sad' face, this means they feel sadness; they are laughing, therefore they are probably happy." it doesn't come "naturally" to them. This kind of empathy is trainable, and there are management courses which are focused on that, to boost for instance success with sales and HR management.

The second one is about being able to mirror our counterparts feelings and to invoke compassion for them (although there are definitions which seperate compassion from empathy). Now this seems to be rooted a bit deeper in our brains, located primarily in the limbic system. A part of that seems to be evolutionary hard-coded, while another part seems to be malleable to a certain degree. Which means tinkering with emotional empathy is considerably harder, but not impossible. Two examples would be telling toddlers that they hurt others, if they hit their peers in the sandbox, which normally leads them to stop this behaviour; and training child-soldiers to be insensitive towards their victims by repeatedly ordering them to conduct atrocities.

So in this setting i would like to view sadism rather as a medical condition than a mere kink.
Since no human can survive alone, Empathy is an important evolutionary trait which enables humans to operate appropriatly in their social surroundings. Grieving for a beloved lost one with your family is important to strengthen your mutual bonds, enjoying similar activities is often needed to establish new ones. Whereas poisoning the tribes water-supply, because one of them strives for the suffering of others is highly detrimental to the overall survivability.

Now Kathleens problem, and more generally the problem of sadism is, that it connects the "wrong", the "inappropriate" emotions. Reportedly Kat tore off the heads of her sisters dolls as a child, i doubt she would have done this, if she had not gained any positive feelings from that. So instead of appropriatly mirroring her sisters sadness, anger and frustration, she probably felt joy and accomplishment. Also Kathleen told Edwin, that she lost friends because she was unable to show the expected feelings towards them. Which is understandable, because most people would be creeped out by a friend laughing with visible delight at you, if you fell and scratched your knee bloody.
That doesn't mean Kathleen didn't want to have friends and this also doesn't mean that she is unable to interpret her counterparts feelings and feel something herself. It just does mean that her condition triggers the "wrong" emotional response. Kathleen has empathy, else her sadism would be pointless, since she would not be able to gain any emotion from someone else, but her emotional empathy connects to a false response.
Kathleen had to learn the hard way, if she wants to be her true self, she is unable to fit in society, therefore she trained her functional empathy to a point where she is able to express the "appropriate" emotional response in a given social situation.
However this puts a high amount of pressure and stress on her and she longs for a place where she can let loose, with the Carnation Club being that; in a way it is her sanctum, where she can be at peace with herself.

With that said, Kathleen is not impaired in having emotions at all, we have seen examples of anger, frustration, joy, amusement, boredom and placidity. I dare to say she is indeed capable of loving someone else, but keep in mind that love can be one-sided and unrequited, and her condition puts serious constraints on any "conventional" or "traditional" relationship. For instance i get the feeling that she really loved her sister, in her own way. Because making someone suffer, who is emotionally close to her should trigger a far bigger response than doing that to a random stranger, like we usually get way more affected if something bad happens to our family than the same thing happening to some people in e.g. africa.

I don't know what exactly RC-1138 Boss deems to be "true" friendship and love, and looking into those constructs would be easily another essay of at least this length, but if they mean "conventional" or "traditional" they are probably right.
However if we base love and friendship on terms like appreciation for each other, considering the wants and needs of each other and the desire to spent time with each other, there are possible pathways those two, Edwin and Kathleen, could take.

On a personal note: i view sadism as a highly antisocial and dangerous paraphilia, actually surpassed by only a few others like e.g. pedophilia (the real one with prepubescent children). There is a reason evolution has led mankind on a path where sadism is not very prevalent and should be considered an aberration. While this kink may have its merit as an erotic fantasy, i do believe it should be never acted out.

Last edited:

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020

Small touches like this are why this game is my personal favorite on the site. Before chuck speaks up everyone is looking at Felicia on stage but as soon as he speaks everyone turns their heads and their eyes can be clearly seen to be looking at chuck. Not only is it an extremely easy to miss detail that makes the characters/scenario feel more "real" but it also gives plenty of fodder for theorizing considering it is two images and a few lines of text.
Yeah GIL is a master of small details

Reactions: SanaeS and ename144

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017

Small touches like this are why this game is my personal favorite on the site. Before chuck speaks up everyone is looking at Felicia on stage but as soon as he speaks everyone turns their heads and their eyes can be clearly seen to be looking at chuck. Not only is it an extremely easy to miss detail that makes the characters/scenario feel more "real" but it also gives plenty of fodder for theorizing considering it is two images and a few lines of text.
I believe those people are probably afraid of him.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
As they should.
A man that can read you like a book while being unreadable is the most fearsome man. Chuck gives me the creeps. Yet, I find him very interesting.
I read it as more of a "surprise" because of Vincenzo, Joe, and Samson's eyebrows haha. I personally think that their looks mean that this is something that few of them have seen (almost every other exhibition just makes chuck chuckle). I do agree that them immediately shutting up and kathleen readily promising chuck that she wont mess with MC head too much really go a long way to show that he has more control than he usually exhibits.

On the same train of thought how much do you guys think Chuck knows about Sophia/Van Doren/Kathleen? In the scene where he mentions to not mess with MC too much chuck specifically says not to involve MC in the "office politics" and or with "whatever" kathleen and van doren have been working on.
It is in the way he talks and makes facial expressions sometimes. Like when he is speaking about how the carnation club previous assistent won't bother them again.
I wouldn't be surprised if he already let his darker tempers show inside the club in front of other members.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
New Dev Diary today!

The news sounds pretty good. In the last 16 days TD and GIL have completed 263 static images, 3 animations and 5855 words, an average of roughly 115 statics, 1.3 animations and 2560 words per week. Overall, they are now averaging ~119 statics, 1.3 animations and 2650 words per week since work on Chapter 4 began.

Whether that confirms TD's estimate depends on how you define average. As you'll be able to see from the slope of the lines on the upcoming charts, these rates match or exceed the output in the previous dev diary, but they're below the pace set during the first report of the update. With only three data points it's hard to say definitively which one is the outlier. If we compare this to the overall average from Chapter 3 Update 4 (~123 statics, 4.2 animations, and 2870 words/week), we're nearly even on statics and Words but well behind on animations. So I'd say TD is only partially correct, thought to be fair animation numbers vary a lot week to week and tend to be low at first. At any rate, enough of my words, let's get to the charts:
In keeping with our discussion on averages, we can see animations appear to be the gating item at the moment. That said, it sounds like Chapter 3 Update 4 may not be the best baseline for Ch4Up1; things improve a bit if we look at Ch3Up1 instead. That was likewise a lull after the exhibition and it sounds like it was similarly structured - starting with a bunch of low-key scenes leading up to a big event in the evening. If we go by those alternate baselines the slow animation rate is less of an outlier, though we'll still need GIL to pull off his usual increase in animation production as development continues. Since words are a new category I don't have much sense for how their rate fluctuates over time yet, but that's okay because I also don't have a Ch3 Up1 number to compare them too. :whistle:

It's hard to say exactly where we stand, but I still think we're doing pretty well. I like the idea of a short, focused update; I thought Ch3 Up1 worked extremely well, so making another update in that style is a great move in my book. The items TD mentioned for Ch4 Up1 sound really interesting and should be a good segue into subsequent updates while still giving us a beat to take stock of where things stand after all the sturm und drang of the exhibition. Definitely looking forward to it.

Dec 5, 2021
I am so PUMPED for the next update. The relationship with Hana is finally about to get serious and as she is definitely my favourite girl, I am teetering in anticipation.

As someone who enjoys friendzoning LIs, it's been almost satisfying to turn down other LIs like Felicia and Mina on subsequent playthroughs, much as I love them both. But aside from the first time I played, I could never bring myself to turn down Hana.

In fact, I suspect that the character has had no small part to play in my rediscovered interest in goth girls recently...

4.90 star(s) 474 Votes