VN Ren'Py Paracosmic Reality [Prologue v1.7.0p] [Jiggly Stone Studios]

4.30 star(s) 16 Votes

What The Quit Button Do?

• Total voters

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
I think it's the capitalisation that confuses people, when you say guy you just mean some guy, when you say Guy you mean a person called Guy.
Yeah, I can agree with this a bit. It's always a bit of a tossup.

In my opinion, I prefer the lowercase "guy" because it feels less formal(weird word to use for that?) but from what I remember it's grammatically correct to capitalize nicknames. I'm just not entirely sure if you would consider calling someone Guy/guy as a term of endearment, which wouldn't be capitalized.

Hun/Hon
Dude
Bro
Buddy
Nerd
Guy

I'm not sure what falls where for nicknames vs terms of endearment sort of conditions.

Last edited:

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Please no. What the hell? In medias res is a literary technique identified as such from as long ago as the friggin' Romans. Even that it was already understood that tedious info dumping and endless setting up was bad technique as opposed to naturally revealing information as appropriate.

Please don't give bad writing advice. Overexplaining does awful things to storytelling; it's an absolute drag, always feels clunky and artificial, and doesn't give enough space for the author to die (as in, give room for the reader's interpretation and speculation instead of relying solely on the author's intention).
I agree with this pretty heavily, but I also think there's a happy medium to be found.

I feel that some sort of bio/index system for characters/places would be interesting to do. Not something that's shoved in your face, but instead a sort of compendium of information you can go look at in-game whenever you want, for the people who are into getting lost in all the little details. Perhaps with a phone icon or something like many games do.

As for lore speed, however, things will come in due time. I don't want to spoil the story or undermine it by shoveling lore out on the back of a truck when no one is ready for it. It's a good thing to have suspense and mystery to things and not everything needs to be explained. Sometimes not knowing is part of the fun of it all.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I can agree with this a bit. It's always a bit of a tossup.

In my opinion, I prefer the lowercase "guy" because it feels less formal(weird word to use for that?) but from what I remember it's grammatically correct to capitalize it.
Depends.
If the player named their MC "Guy" the answer is yes.

Thing is "guy" is not technically a title he got bestowed like King, Archbishop, Lord, ...
I said technically because under circumstances it can be treated as such and THEN you are correct.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
What does it mean for the VN to have optional crossdressing but no optional gay content?
Because for some reason, gay usually means the MC is at the bottom, and without it MC is top, but yeah so far there is none, just an end-scene bonus futa thing.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
What does it mean for the VN to have optional crossdressing but no optional gay content?
It's not innately gay to crossdress. There are many out there like myself who are alternately presenting or want to be but are still only attracted to the opposite side.

If/when I implement crossdressing scenes for MC, they'll be optional/avoidable and any related nsfw scenery will be between him and some female just soaking up how feminine he looks.

As for why there isn't gay content in the game, it's because I'm not really interested in the masculine side of things and I'm not going to write about things I'm not interested in. It'll only make for poor content. I'm what would be referred to as fin/gynesexual, meaning I'm only attracted to the feminine form. I don't mind the idea of trans or highly feminine-looking traps/femboys in the game, but they will be optional/avoidable content.

FatYoda

Sep 12, 2017
711-1.jpg

Game needs a twins tag??? and hopefully at some point an incest tag for these 2...because i love me some twincest.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
View attachment 3752066

Game needs a twins tag??? and hopefully at some point an incest tag for these 2...because i love me some twincest.
Due to select company policies, I'm not able to canonically claim those two as twins.

That being said, you as the consumer, are welcome to believe whatever you'd like to believe about them. They do live under the same roof and look quite alike.

Officially speaking, they are just "high school besties" who like to do that cliquey thing that high school girls do and dress up to look like each other. At least that was a really big thing around where I grew up. Girls would routinely do everything they could to look like each other, with some even going so far as to go to school with colored contacts in to match the others.

This will likely piss some people off, but the above is the best I can do. Burning the bridges with those companies and their policies isn't an option for me at this stage in my life, as I've yet to reach Dr.PinkCake levels of success that affords me the room to breathe. xD (I understand Dr.PinkCake is an unrealistic expectation, it's a joke. It does, however, summarize the situation.)

ThatGuyWho

Jun 8, 2020
I agree with this pretty heavily, but I also think there's a happy medium to be found.

I feel that some sort of bio/index system for characters/places would be interesting to do. Not something that's shoved in your face, but instead a sort of compendium of information you can go look at in-game whenever you want, for the people who are into getting lost in all the little details. Perhaps with a phone icon or something like many games do.

As for lore speed, however, things will come in due time. I don't want to spoil the story or undermine it by shoveling lore out on the back of a truck when no one is ready for it. It's a good thing to have suspense and mystery to things and not everything needs to be explained. Sometimes not knowing is part of the fun of it all.
The bio is a good idea, but it is a different topic from what they are talking about, I'd say.

A bio gives information about a character, but said information can't, or at least shouldn't be about things that our MC doesn't know, otherwise we lose the sense of discovery that we get when seeing the story through someone else's eyes.

The problem they are discussing is about having things not explained to them, but we know as much as our main character about what is going on.

Now, having an EXPLANATION about the current world they live in, because they clearly live in a alternate/futuristic reality, would be a good idea, but as a fellow author, I know that, sometimes, WE don't even know everything, especially with something that is ongoing. Things change, sometimes we give up on ideas, sometimes we think about new things and add those to the story and sometimes we don't know where something might lead to, but in that case, we should never introduce something with at least an idea about it, otherwise we end with a plot point that leads nowhere and can't get rid of it on a finished product. I personally think that an ongoing VN IS a finished product because what people see with the available content may turn them in or away of future updates, so it is important to have good quality and consistency. I liked what I have seen already. I can tell that you care about your art piece. The details you put is enough to give me that idea.

Unrelated but I'm already talking about the project so whatever. If I could leave a suggestion, try to look about auto-advancing scenes without dialogue. There are some sequences made to convey movement i.e. someone walking from one place to the other where we, as a player, need to advance the scene manually. I love this kind of details and I think those should auto-advance. The pizza sequence is a clear example of this as Shizu takes his pizza and walks back to be with his friends and we have to advance the scene 3 or 4 times where it could just move by itself.

Cheers.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
The bio is a good idea, but it is a different topic from what they are talking about, I'd say.

A bio gives information about a character, but said information can't, or at least shouldn't be about things that our MC doesn't know, otherwise we lose the sense of discovery that we get when seeing the story through someone else's eyes.

The problem they are discussing is about having things not explained to them, but we know as much as our main character about what is going on.

Now, having an EXPLANATION about the current world they live in, because they clearly live in a alternate/futuristic reality, would be a good idea, but as a fellow author, I know that, sometimes, WE don't even know everything, especially with something that is ongoing. Things change, sometimes we give up on ideas, sometimes we think about new things and add those to the story and sometimes we don't know where something might lead to, but in that case, we should never introduce something with at least an idea about it, otherwise we end with a plot point that leads nowhere and can't get rid of it on a finished product. I personally think that an ongoing VN IS a finished product because what people see with the available content may turn them in or away of future updates, so it is important to have good quality and consistency. I liked what I have seen already. I can tell that you care about your art piece. The details you put is enough to give me that idea.

Unrelated but I'm already talking about the project so whatever. If I could leave a suggestion, try to look about auto-advancing scenes without dialogue. There are some sequences made to convey movement i.e. someone walking from one place to the other where we, as a player, need to advance the scene manually. I love this kind of details and I think those should auto-advance. The pizza sequence is a clear example of this as Shizu takes his pizza and walks back to be with his friends and we have to advance the scene 3 or 4 times where it could just move by itself.

Cheers.
Yeah, I was more leaning toward a sort of codex system that would be good for keeping track of details and offering some insight into the city. Stuff that's a "Publically available online" sort of deal.

You are 100% right on the "WE don't even know everything, especially with something that is ongoing." though lol. Originally I had 13,300 words of rough draft written up before I ever started this project. Orra was supposed to be met after Sylvie and all that such. Ended up introducing her earlier as a means of believable traversal from the subway/train to the property lol. It's always kinda a weird free float, but yeah, you have to know what you want to do. Can't just pull stuff outta thin air.

I can look into auto-advancing the scenes. The only reason I haven't is because when you do that, Ren'Py likes to collect them all into one block. So when you rewind to look at an individual scene or something, it'll throw you to the front of the 3-4 scenes. It's not the biggest issue, it just means it'll make anything in between non-pausable in the events that you wanted to look at the image.

Reactions: ThatGuyWho

FatYoda

Sep 12, 2017
Due to select company policies, I'm not able to canonically claim those two as twins.

That being said, you as the consumer, are welcome to believe whatever you'd like to believe about them. They do live under the same roof and look quite alike.

Officially speaking, they are just "high school besties" who like to do that cliquey thing that high school girls do and dress up to look like each other. At least that was a really big thing around where I grew up. Girls would routinely do everything they could to look like each other, with some even going so far as to go to school with colored contacts in to match the others.

This will likely piss some people off, but the above is the best I can do. Burning the bridges with those companies and their policies isn't an option for me at this stage in my life, as I've yet to reach Dr.PinkCake levels of success that affords me the room to breathe. xD (I understand Dr.PinkCake is an unrealistic expectation, it's a joke. It does, however, summarize the situation.)
can you not make a script for us to set their relationship then? i know some devs do this, and some don't. Also, these rules are so ridiculous. I'm never sure when they're gonna enforce them. There are a LOT of games on here with twin content that don't get shut down.

Edit: that being said...id much rather have interactive content between the two without any relationship claim than not getting anything. maybe someone will make a patch.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
can you not make a script for us to set their relationship then? i know some devs do this, and some don't. Also, these rules are so ridiculous. I'm never sure when they're gonna enforce them. There are a LOT of games on here with twin content that don't get shut down.

Edit: that being said...id much rather have interactive content between the two without any relationship claim than not getting anything. maybe someone will make a patch.
It won't really be a viable option for someone to make a patch due to the dialogue that'll be present, just like between MC/Jade. I've specifically put in lore about their dialogue that relates them as non-relatives. A patch would require reworking story to make it fit, at which point, it's not the same game.

Lily & Lotus are a bit more flexible in that regard, but it'd still be a lot of effort for a technicality that most could just imagine whatever they want.

I have considered doing a "Name what they are" script, but said companies have even cracked down on that in the past. So it's still a risk if not implemented correctly.

FatYoda

Sep 12, 2017
It won't really be a viable option for someone to make a patch due to the dialogue that'll be present, just like between MC/Jade. I've specifically put in lore about their dialogue that relates them as non-relatives. A patch would require reworking story to make it fit, at which point, it's not the same game.

Lily & Lotus are a bit more flexible in that regard, but it'd still be a lot of effort for a technicality that most could just imagine whatever they want.

I have considered doing a "Name what they are" script, but said companies have even cracked down on that in the past. So it's still a risk if not implemented correctly.
yeah, i don't need to be Jade's brother. That's fine. Lily and Lotus are what i'm most interested in. S/S stuff is fun. there are no negative consequences other than what society puts on them so it doesn't bother me.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
yeah, i don't need to be Jade's brother. That's fine. Lily and Lotus are what i'm most interested in. S/S stuff is fun. there are no negative consequences other than what society puts on them so it doesn't bother me.
I agree with you there. As far as I'm aware, said companies wouldn't care if two twins were in bed pleasing MC, however, the moment they turned their attention from the MC in any way and starting in on each other all hell lets loose. Biblically accurate angels start slaughtering people, the whole 9 yards xD.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
I agree with you there. As far as I'm aware, said companies wouldn't care if two twins were in bed pleasing MC, however, the moment they turned their attention from the MC in any way and starting in on each other all hell lets loose. Biblically accurate angels start slaughtering people, the whole 9 yards xD.
Not applicable to your game, but said companies banned AVN creators before for a girl not having any sexual content at all looking to young. That includes pictures in a photo album ...
So it is wise to be careful.

At the same time they are willing and able to apply rules they changed/made up to old content.
So when they in say 3 month decide to crack down at the furry community as well the game is fucked either way.

JigglyStone - Fero Seele

Paracosmic Reality Dev
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Not applicable to your game, but said companies banned AVN creators before for a girl not having any sexual content at all looking to young. That includes pictures in a photo album ...
So it is wise to be careful.

At the same time they are willing and able to apply rules they changed/made up to old content.
So when they in say 3 month decide to crack down at the furry community as well the game is fucked either way.
Yeah, one of my favorite games is Corrupted Kingdoms. The dev of that got yeeted by patreon for having pregnancy/birth resulting in the MC having kids. Even though they were never interacted with in an NSFW manner, because it was kids in a NSFW game, they gave em the boot. Told em they could remake the entirety of the game from scratch sans the kids and then appeal it if they wanted. Nothing like being told to remake like 5+ years of content development or get bent.

Reactions: Brannon

ThatGuyWho

Jun 8, 2020
Yeah, one of my favorite games is Corrupted Kingdoms. The dev of that got yeeted by patreon for having pregnancy/birth resulting in the MC having kids. Even though they were never interacted with in an NSFW manner, because it was kids in a NSFW game, they gave em the boot. Told em they could remake the entirety of the game from scratch sans the kids and then appeal it if they wanted. Nothing like being told to remake like 5+ years of content development or get bent.

It is canon: Having kids is against the law

Pgsurprise

Nov 27, 2022

I've always wondered why not just make the relationships a little vague so imaginations work. Many families refer to each other by name instead of brother, sister, roommate, etc. Especially people who've known each other forever can consider each other family and say "Mom" in conversations without qualifying it with "my mom". Let them be uncomfortable about intimacy without saying whether it's because they're related, straight, or whatever other reason it may be.

May just be me, but I'd think that'd work so much better for a lot of people than "little roommate" or "little sister" because both just seem unnatural and cringy (roommate is obviously worse).

Just FYI, I haven't played the new version, so I don't know if their relationship has to be set for the story (and can't remember if you said) So, this may not be possible for you.

e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
Many families refer to each other by name instead of brother, sister, roommate, etc.
When my (actual) bro and I got some guy from out of state to move in and sublet a room from us he called home and told one of his buds that he'd moved in "with 2 brothers". His bud immediately assumed he meant black dudes. :)

• Haha
Reactions: FatGiant
4.30 star(s) 16 Votes