What would you prefer in a future text-based game? (please pick one of each trio)

• Total voters

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
The author makes updates every friday on their website. Unfortunately the updates are condensed down to "I did shit but I'm not going to show you."
I feel bad for the sponsors who paid money.
Well, there's not much to show, it's all text. Would you like a screenshot of some text in the middle of being proofread? I could do that, but it would feel like a waste of time... I suppose I could quote some lines from what I'm working on, at least when I'm not in the proofing and testing stage like right now.

I've thought for a while that maybe weekly progress updates were a bit too frequent, many of them are quite similar, no matter how hard I try to find things to talk about. But I hoped it would be reassuring that the project is actively being worked on, even if progress isn't as rapid as some would like; plus If I switched to monthly progress updates I might risk upsetting the few kind people who see fit to sponsor me.

Any news about the next update?
I am in the final stages of development for this Release, all that's left is some proofreading and testing, unless I've forgotten something, again.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
Well, there's not much to show, it's all text. Would you like a screenshot of some text in the middle of being proofread? I could do that, but it would feel like a waste of time... I suppose I could quote some lines from what I'm working on, at least when I'm not in the proofing and testing stage like right now.

I've thought for a while that maybe weekly progress updates were a bit too frequent, many of them are quite similar, no matter how hard I try to find things to talk about. But I hoped it would be reassuring that the project is actively being worked on, even if progress isn't as rapid as some would like; plus If I switched to monthly progress updates I might risk upsetting the few kind people who see fit to sponsor me.

I am in the final stages of development for this Release, all that's left is some proofreading and testing, unless I've forgotten something, again.
Nahh, don't worry about giving previews, at least I think that would be kinda silly.

As for progress updates, I had no idea you do them that often, but every week is probably too frequent for this particular project IMO. That said, if you've been doing weekly updates all this time then I understand if the idea of cutting the frequency down... I dunno, half? A quarter? That might feel pretty stressful in itself.

kekvitirae

Oct 10, 2022

I'm not talking about just showing the work, I'm talking about more frequent updates to the game itself. Even if it's just a single room per update, it's still better than edging your audience while they have been stuck on the same version for six months.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
I'm not talking about just showing the work, I'm talking about more frequent updates to the game itself. Even if it's just a single room per update, it's still better than edging your audience while they have been stuck on the same version for six months.
Oh, I see. There isn't much I can do about that. Between my job, real life, and ADHD, this is about as fast as I can go. I could force myself to maybe work a bit longer, but I'd be miserable and I'm worried the quality would suffer. I guess I could do tiny releases but... would an empty room really be satisfying? I'm kinda already trimming updates down as much as possible at the moment by only doing one Kalene route per update. Would half a scene really be a satisfying release? I personally don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.

Let me be real, my initial plan was for this to be a short first project to get my feet wet and familiarize myself with Twine. I thought I'd be done by now. Fool that I am though, I didn't realize the check I was writing when I settled on the features and structure for the game was MUCH bigger than I'd intended, and I didn't figure it out until it was too late.

I should have just said fuck it, and cut what needed to be cut, but I'd already released it publicly, and I felt obligated to keep everything currently in and finish the game. I've tried to narrow the scope as much as I can without compromising things, but I am still HELLA burnt out. And if you know anyone with ADHD, they'll probably tell you trying to focus on something you're burnt out on is almost physically painful, your brain just keeps sliding off it and constantly trying to think of anything else, it's goddamn infuriating.

kekvitirae

Oct 10, 2022
I guess I could do tiny releases but... would an empty room really be satisfying?
An empty room is still better than no room at all. A lot of game authors use micro updates, and it will convey more to the audience that you're still updating your work than vague promises on a blog. I really, really enjoy your work and writing, and I have considered donating, but six months without anything to show for it really puts a damper on that.

Even just monthly version updates are good. It would allow the audience to make suggestions, bugtest, and overall be active in this thread. Until yesterday, there hasn't been a single post in this thread since Jan 6th. Frequent updates can help churn up more interest. As of right now, Paths is buried on page 6 of f95's search, when filtering for HTML only engines. This is why nobody is really commenting.

Reactions: Wolfdragon20

BigBadGiraffe

Mar 21, 2018
It comes out when it comes out. I don’t check religiously but I have push notifications for your weekly updates, most of the time I don’t even check those.

I rarely come back to this site anyway, besides for the odd moment of perversion. I believe the game will be updated, however, the amount of time between updates makes me just apathetic to the whole thing. Excited for when it releases but it’s very likely I won’t even see the new release until months later.

MoarDakka123

Jul 7, 2020
An empty room is still better than no room at all.
I strongly disagree with this, to the point that this statement almost sounds like some bizarre form of trolling to me. It would not be worth the effort to upload, and certainly not frequently. I mean, why would anyone want an empty room? Seriously, picture this:

- You find out there's an update.
- You go to the front page of this thread.
- You go to your download site of choice.
- You download the zip file.
- You extract the file.
- You start up the game.
- You track down and load your save file.
- You step into the next (empty) room.
- You read the description about how there's spiderweb covering the vases around the room.
- You go "Whelp, that sure was exciting, good stuff!"
- You close the tab.

I swear, I'm not trying to be an ass when I say this, but that sounds like utter nonsense. Please, stick to making updates that feel worthwhile for everyone, yourself included, Stratos.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
Release 12 is up on the Sponsus and will be available next week there and on the blog for everyone.

This update adds the second branch of Kalene's second encounter, the D route, which reveals most of the plot, though the final branch, (C), will reveal a little more, and has one sex scene with a big choice in the middle. To qualify for it you need to get more D points than C points, and have at least 5 total (marked options give one or two, usually). I halved the requirement from the previous version, because I realized you needed EVERY SINGLE D point currently in the game to hit 10.

When I update this thread for the public release, I may add a poll, people who read the blog will already know I've been thinking of starting a small side project that I'll work on when its not time that's dedicated to Paths and I'm feeling bored or creative, and I'd like to gauge the opinions of people who've played Paths so far and what they might prefer in a subsequent text game.

StratosDBG

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2020
Release 12 is now publicly available. Once again, as a reminder the version uploaded here has all 18+ characters, if you want the Hebephile edition you'll have to get it off the blog.

Also, a poll has been added to the thread, to gauge what people might be interested in for a future game from me, so please vote if possible. I'm not promising to strictly adhere to any results, it's just to gather information to inform what I decide to work on, either after Paths or as a side project when I have spare time or inspiration.

DOWNLOADS: MEGA - - - WORKUPLOAD - PIXELDRAIN

jhustrue

Mar 3, 2020
Game needs the prostitution tag. They're temple prostitutes, but prostitutes nonetheless. They sleep with people for religious rites and rituals. Just would be nice to have that warning before starting the game. Almost ruined it for me finding out that even the mother and sister are whores that apparently anyone can proposition for sex and they can't turn it down.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Blueshift

Laughingfox

Apr 2, 2017
Ah, I do so enjoy this project. It's always a treat to play through. Question regarding the poll - does 'secondary focus mean *less* of a thing, or does it mean the aim would be to *include* it? My squishy brain is having issues figuring it out.

Melted

Nov 23, 2019
An empty room is still better than no room at all. A lot of game authors use micro updates, and it will convey more to the audience that you're still updating your work than vague promises on a blog. I really, really enjoy your work and writing, and I have considered donating, but six months without anything to show for it really puts a damper on that.

Even just monthly version updates are good. It would allow the audience to make suggestions, bugtest, and overall be active in this thread. Until yesterday, there hasn't been a single post in this thread since Jan 6th. Frequent updates can help churn up more interest. As of right now, Paths is buried on page 6 of f95's search, when filtering for HTML only engines. This is why nobody is really commenting.
You have an ass-backwards way of being supportive. This project isn't his life. Dude's busy, burnt out and still plugging away at it. Give him the damned carrot if you really, really enjoy his work and writing. Constantly prodding with the stick isn't going to get the results you want.

Here's your empty room:
You advance north and approach a large, ornate doorway. Upon entering you are awestruck by the magnificence before you. An almost empty room... but for a small jug placed on the floor in a corner. Overcome with joy, you start running towards the jug, but trip, fall and land on your dick. Your dick is now broken, never to work again. GAME OVER.

AelphysTerra

May 13, 2020
That update was worth the wait. Eagerly anticipating what happens in the future.

As for me, I'd like some focus on the transformation mechanic, and I think the story could be better served by being more tightly told (less meandering). Though the scene writing is good!

Aegis Lily

Oct 18, 2019
So I found this game just now and would like to know if you could keep the genderbent protagonist as a woman and make it permanent, or is just temporary. Yes I'm into genderbender:whistle:.

4.60 star(s) 14 Votes