Patreon is the worst enemy of all adult game players

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
The OP´s braindead comments aside, but I think it completely misses the point to just criticize sites like Patreon just because people get paid for doing their work.
I think there are lots of pros and cons to Patreon and other crowdfunding sites, but I dont think we would see nearly as many devs working on games without crowdfunding.
The problems I see is that there are Devs who just take the money, publish a bad game, abandon it or just don´t work on that game really, which is even worse when that person had some success in the past, which can also hurt good Devs.
I think crowdfunding can also hurt innovation, because certain Devs have their Fanboys who just support the same game for 6 or so years and if a game is successful then everybody just copies their stuff without trying to create something new.
TOS are also bullshit because I doubt anyone who plays a 18+ game with incest in it just magically wants to fuck his family members.
Still I think there are lots of Devs who are doing a great job and couldn´t finance their games without their community.

Reactions: Monstrous Moonshine

Müptezel Emo

Dec 15, 2022
The OP´s braindead comments aside, but I think it completely misses the point to just criticize sites like Patreon just because people get paid for doing their work.
I think there are lots of pros and cons to Patreon and other crowdfunding sites, but I dont think we would see nearly as many devs working on games without crowdfunding.
The problems I see is that there are Devs who just take the money, publish a bad game, abandon it or just don´t work on that game really, which is even worse when that person had some success in the past, which can also hurt good Devs.
I think crowdfunding can also hurt innovation, because certain Devs have their Fanboys who just support the same game for 6 or so years and if a game is successful then everybody just copies their stuff without trying to create something new.
TOS are also bullshit because I doubt anyone who plays a 18+ game with incest in it just magically wants to fuck his family members.
Still I think there are lots of Devs who are doing a great job and couldn´t finance their games without their community.
Average femdom fan

• Angry
Reactions: Monstrous Moonshine

lewdpudding

May 31, 2022
We always have unfinished trashes
Most of the indie developers on Patreon don't even finish their projects, they should take them more seriously, like a job, because thanks to doing that they can earn money. But of course, since they are independent, they choose their hours and whether to continue or not... most of them end up giving it up as I already said, due to supposed "personal problems in their private life" which means that they basically don't care anymore and don't want to keep developing the game.

I wish "donationware" was something developers would take seriously. Since people give their money, not to encourage the developer, to receive something every month. Everyone knows that if you want to donate for "the love of art" you can do it through websites where you don't receive anything in return like PayPal... but Patreon, without a doubt, is a business where you give money to a person so that they can give you a content per month.

Apr 9, 2019
Just delete these posts and it will magically gone.
I guess you're a tone-deaf clown then? Because the nigh unanimous consensus throughout this thread has been, and continues to be, the fact that you have no idea what you're going on about. So, my clueless ignoramus, if you are unwilling to even entertain the informed opinions of the majority, what even is the point of this thread? To play agony aunt for the disaffected, or to simply display your 'stunning intellect'? Honestly, I'd love to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: OEJ and Donjoe81

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I wish "donationware" was something developers would take seriously. Since people give their money, not to encourage the developer, to receive something every month. Everyone knows that if you want to donate for "the love of art" you can do it through websites where you don't receive anything in return like PayPal... but Patreon, without a doubt, is a business where you give money to a person so that they can give you a content per month.
Oh, boy. No, it's not. Patreon is a business where you give money to a person so that they can give you what they promised to give you according to your tier. That's all you can actually demand from that dev. If a dev hasn't promised a monthly update for your tier, then it should be easy to understand that you're only paying that dev so that they can keep working on their game, or maybe because you liked their past efforts, or maybe just because you find that dev fun, or attractive, or whatever -so, indeed, Patreon is a place where you are actually donating for "the love of art". And Paypal is just a payment method that allows you to do that, like your credit card does. But if people fail to understand those very basic concepts, and have a completely wrong assumption of how all of this works, no wonder they keep open threads like this one, no wonder they keep getting scammed by dishonest devs, and no wonder they still believe they are getting scammed by totally honest devs.

Wankyudo

Jul 26, 2017
I guess you're a tone-deaf clown then? Because the nigh unanimous consensus throughout this thread has been, and continues to be, the fact that you have no idea what you're going on about. So, my clueless ignoramus, if you are unwilling to even entertain the informed opinions of the majority, what even is the point of this thread? To play agony aunt for the disaffected, or to simply display your 'stunning intellect'? Honestly, I'd love to know.
it's usually both of those reasonings with these threads. They are a dime a dozen where someone goes "All patreon devs are milkers and we need to be able to hold them accountable! We're giving them money, so we demand our game! We purchased a product and we're not getting one!" which then when people explain "well...no. you didn't purchase a product. you can say you did all you want, but you didn't" they'll handwave all arguments against them. Even though what they fail to understand is that if crowdfunding game development wasn't a thing, it wouldn't magically mean there's more finished games. It'd just mean nobody would even put forth their ideas or projects in the first place.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Everyone knows that if you want to donate for "the love of art" you can do it through websites where you don't receive anything in return like PayPal... but Patreon, without a doubt, is a business where you give money to a person so that they can give you a content per month.
This might be the most delusional take on Patreon yet. That is "without a doubt" not what Patreon is or is supposed to be. Patreon is the virtual equivalent of a tip jar with OPTIONAL rewards depending on how much money you give. You'll notice that none of those rewards usually say "you'll get x amount of content in y amount of timeframe." Most devs don't even put out monthy updates or if they do they're tiny and shit. Patreon is not a fucking Netflix subscription.