Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
Latin
Niger = Black
Arcana = Secret
It's also from an african word
ger-n-ger meaning "river of rivers".
Niger also relates to rivers and rivers often relate to the afterlife ergo Necromancy.

Weird how people get caught up in censoring words never remember the words themselves aren't bad
Such to those living in the country of Niger (Africa) who keep getting cussed out by all the Americans who claim they are being racist. Though I guess since most of them are Dark Skinned they can get away with it!o_O

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
It's bad Latin, though.

Arcanus in Latin is an adjective that just means "mysterious, hidden, secret, private". It's not a noun, and has nothing to do with magic or rites, which is the English usage (where it means "specialized knowledge", which is how it's being used here). Moreover, even if you were to use arcana as a nominalized adjective (which is possible), the inflections are wrong: it should be nigra arcana. Though again, that would just mean "the black secret things", and not "black magics".

Reactions: Mr_KaLinKa

Mr_KaLinKa

Nov 6, 2020
Latin
Niger = Black
Arcana = Secret
It's also from an african word
ger-n-ger meaning "river of rivers".
Niger also relates to rivers and rivers often relate to the afterlife ergo Necromancy.

Weird how people get caught up in censoring words never remember the words themselves aren't bad
Such to those living in the country of Niger (Africa) who keep getting cussed out by all the Americans who claim they are being racist. Though I guess since most of them are Dark Skinned they can get away with it!o_O
well i dont know latin so, its a bit funny to see the caracters saying this without me knowing the meaning
now that i know its all good

still have the funny though

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
well i dont know latin so, its a bit funny to see the caracters saying this without me knowing the meaning
now that i know its all good

still have the funny though
Character didn't really say it as such, it's the name of a book of secret knowledge that you're sent to fetch... Black Secrets if you will

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
It's bad Latin, though.

Arcanus in Latin is an adjective that just means "mysterious, hidden, secret, private". It's not a noun, and has nothing to do with magic or rites, which is the English usage (where it means "specialized knowledge", which is how it's being used here). Moreover, even if you were to use arcana as a nominalized adjective (which is possible), the inflections are wrong: it should be nigra arcana. Though again, that would just mean "the black secret things", and not "black magics".
  1. Who other than you said magic?
  2. "Magic" is a word that mostly describes things we don't understand (the moment you understand it, it becomes "Science")

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
  1. Who other than you said magic?
  2. "Magic" is a word that mostly describes things we don't understand (the moment you understand it, it becomes "Science")
  1. The quest involves you looking for a book of rites from a cult that managed to cheat death. Arcana here necessarily refers either to the book itself (which is a magical artifact) or the magic rites contained within.
  2. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I.e. you, as an uninformed observer, won't be able to tell the difference; but technology and magic are fundamentally different: magic is specifically a supernatural force (or a way of manipulating such forces), whereas technology is limited to and works off of the natural forces exclusively (which is why technology exists in the real world, and magic does not). Also, what does this have to do with anything?
At any rate, it's still bad Latin. Even if the words' meanings sort of fall in line (which is to be expected anyway: English "arcana" does indeed come from Latin arcanus, so their meanings aren't so far apart that the phrase becomes gibberish or anything), that doesn't make up for the fact that the inflections are wrong.

DomWolf

Forum Fanatic
Jul 2, 2020
  1. The quest involves you looking for a book of rites from a cult that managed to cheat death. Arcana here necessarily refers either to the book itself (which is a magical artifact) or the magic rites contained within.
  2. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I.e. you, as an uninformed observer, won't be able to tell the difference; but technology and magic are fundamentally different: magic is specifically a supernatural force (or a way of manipulating such forces), whereas technology is limited to and works off of the natural forces exclusively (which is why technology exists in the real world, and magic does not). Also, what does this have to do with anything?
At any rate, it's still bad Latin. Even if the words' meanings sort of fall in line (which is to be expected anyway: English "arcana" does indeed come from Latin arcanus, so their meanings aren't so far apart that the phrase becomes gibberish or anything), that doesn't make up for the fact that the inflections are wrong.
Essentially it's just 2 latin words mixed together Niger= Black & Arcana= Secret (but in the common English tongue is also a word denoting Magic so doubles up in meaning). What we get is Balck Secret or Black Magic (which is what the book is. It's a book of dark arts OR black magic).

I see what he means when talking about magic & science alot of shit that we call science now was called magic in the day. Or attested to gods. Trust me in a fantasy setting mobile phones become portable sending stones, scrying is cameras & napalm is FIREBALL!

The final.part of my long winded comment is.... it's a game and the dev choice some latin words for a magic book lol

Reactions: Mr.Hide

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
The final.part of my long winded comment is.... it's a game and the dev choice some latin words for a magic book lol
Yeah, I know, but I just can't help it, being a language nerd and all. If I were a dev, I'd probably be stuffing all sorts of shit like that in my game too, but I'd make dead fucking sure it's correct. This isn't the first time I've seen bad Latin in a game, to say nothing of the shit ton of Google translate Japanese, Spanish, etc. that people like to throw around in their VNs.

• Haha
Reactions: DomWolf

Stil996

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 11, 2018
  1. "Niger Arcana" is the TITLEof the book, authors get to call their book anything they like (and "Black Secret" is an incredible apt title for this book considering it's topic).
    1. As I alluded by my earlier post, an apt translation of "magic" might be "Mysterious knowledge", or "Secret Knowledge".
    2. Again: Who said "Magic", I'm not certain of this, it's been a while since I read the setup for that quest but don't think Erevi called it "magic" either even though she might have reason to considering her affiliation to magic.
      IIRC It is a book of Forbidden Lore. Lost Knowledge, Dark Secrets
    3. The ability to cheat death could come from advanced medicine, nanobots, spiritual enlightenment, Magic in most cases is only useful to describe "unknown" or "misunderstood" knowledge. :sneaky:
  2. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    was a good novelist but he did talk out his arse, that statement might be considered true with the addendum "from the perspective of the ignorant" (it doesn't need to be advanced, Striking flint and steel together to create fire is magic if it is outside your ken).
Magic is often a way for science to be presented to the ignorant, a way to keep the educated elevated above the uneducated, deceiving them into thinking they could never share your ability to control it, even in worlds with literal magic the central theme is usually the knowledgeable "guarding" the knowledge from the masses, Would Merlin have been respected as much if everyone knew how his power came from the hydroelectric generator at the base of his tower, powered by the stream flowing there? Or the Witches powers actually came from psychoactive herbs?

Who knows someday Erevi will explain to the MC why she jammed a dynamo up his ass or how it might relate to his lightning bolt spell!

Starklim

Feb 12, 2018
hey guys, does anyone know what the next quest will be about ? (i know i'm quite eager to see what the new town has in store for us)

RoamingZone

Feb 1, 2020
"Tinkerers Update News"

View attachment 2031530 Hi again!
I figured I could drop a not so subtle hint at what you can expect from some of the scenes next update. This will be possible once you find some ancient tech. They were a crafty lot, those Ancients. They weren't perfect though, so some side effects should be expected.....
Lately I've been working on refurbishing some old maps, the area near Erevi's tower doesn't match the graphics of the other maps, so I gave it a makeover. Currently I'm also working on an improved index for the book of girls. Now a picture of each girl will be shown on the main page, clicking on an image will take you to that girl's page.
Have a nice week!
Tinkerer​

This take me back to some troubled times back in the first years of this game. This is my personal opinion and my intention is not to cause a cluster fuck in this specific thread. Everyone that has been paying atention to the game for the last couple of years could tell that Tinkerer wanted to add some optional content, heck if you have played this game from the beginning and you played the non censored version (I mean the sharing scenes not being optional) could see that this was the plan he had for the game. Throught recent years after the very controversial Mia update ( I'm still amazed the amount of hate some "fans" can give to a dev for a single scene) there have been more than a few times a girl has told a line that was totally unnecessary plot wise about encounters or suggestion that don't involve MC. Ultimately I would have liked to see the whole game that Tinkerer wanted to make but I kinda understand the animosity for anything non MC related, I'm just glad after the Mia update the situation didn't backfire and he didn't lose support from most of the people that have been with the game from the beginning, it did get rid off the whining people though.

justin97978

Apr 14, 2019
i lost my hard drive and so all my saves. i`ve taken the latest saves from a post here. but does anybody know if i can change my name back to my own name? in game or in the files.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
i lost my hard drive and so all my saves. i`ve taken the latest saves from a post here. but does anybody know if i can change my name back to my own name? in game or in the files.
You can change your name by talking to the mayor of Weirdwood (or Victoria after you become the mayor).

Or it might be a paper on her desk, I’m not sure.

4.20 star(s) 200 Votes