Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
I quite enjoy the games BBBen made, they're good fun and the story is there too when it needs to, plus the graphical elements of his games are interesting too !
So when I heard he made a new game I wanted to try it, unfortunately even though it's v0.11.1 with many updates that came before, I'm still not able to play this game.
Whether it be online or a (x64) downloaded version, both outcomes are the same. When I click the new game button: Black loading screen and my computer needs to be turned off and on again.
I believe I'm not the only one with thoses issues or at least a similar kind and I hope the dev sees our posts with the running of the games so that maybe it'll be possible to play it in future versions !

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
I quite enjoy the games BBBen made, they're good fun and the story is there too when it needs to, plus the graphical elements of his games are interesting too !
So when I heard he made a new game I wanted to try it, unfortunately even though it's v0.11.1 with many updates that came before, I'm still not able to play this game.
Whether it be online or a (x64) downloaded version, both outcomes are the same. When I click the new game button: Black loading screen and my computer needs to be turned off and on again.
I believe I'm not the only one with thoses issues or at least a similar kind and I hope the dev sees our posts with the running of the games so that maybe it'll be possible to play it in future versions !
You're getting a black screen when clicking "new game"? For a start, could I ask what kind of system you have?

This is a different and much rarer issue than the other crashes and I can't be sure I know what's causing it, but I have a theory and I do have a test version that might work. The problem might be that your system is particularly incompatible with AudioBuffers, the system that the engine uses to decode music files. If that's the case then it might work instead if the engine were told to decode the audio in a different way, with AudioStreams. Unfortunately AudioStreams causes crashes for a lot of other people, including me, because it's not very stable, so I can't use that for everyone. If I can confirm it fixes the crashing problem for some people, though, I can put a toggle into the game to allow you to change to the alternative version to try and avoid crashes.

If you're willing to try a test version and tell me if it works or not, the download is here:
(Mods, this is just a test version, not a release, and shouldn't go on the first post, thanks.)

Let me know if this works! If it does then it should be playable enough for most people getting crashes on the new game button, but testing it is only valuable if you're getting crashes.

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
You're getting a black screen when clicking "new game"? For a start, could I ask what kind of system you have?

This is a different and much rarer issue than the other crashes and I can't be sure I know what's causing it, but I have a theory and I do have a test version that might work. The problem might be that your system is particularly incompatible with AudioBuffers, the system that the engine uses to decode music files. If that's the case then it might work instead if the engine were told to decode the audio in a different way, with AudioStreams. Unfortunately AudioStreams causes crashes for a lot of other people, including me, because it's not very stable, so I can't use that for everyone. If I can confirm it fixes the crashing problem for some people, though, I can put a toggle into the game to allow you to change to the alternative version to try and avoid crashes.

If you're willing to try a test version and tell me if it works or not, the download is here: Mega
(Mods, this is just a test version, not a release, and shouldn't go on the first post, thanks.)

Let me know if this works! If it does then it should be playable enough for most people getting crashes on the new game button, but testing it is only valuable if you're getting crashes.
I'm having a black screen at some point early in the game, I've tried playing it normally and I can't progress past the first scene in the appartment and I've tried skipping the intro and it does a black screen right away.
i'm using a windows 8.1 64bits computer.
I've tried the test versionn that you linked, the game does seem way more stable and didn't crash so far.
It may be a temporary solution but it's good enough for me at this point haha !
Thanks a lot, keep up the good work ! ;)

Edit: Nevermind, it's not killing my PC anymore (which is great because it was scary) but I do still end up with a "Now loading" screen that never ends.

Last edited:

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
I'm having a black screen at some point early in the game, I've tried playing it normally and I can't progress past the first scene in the appartment and I've tried skipping the intro and it does a black screen right away.
i'm using a windows 8.1 64bits computer.
I've tried the test versionn that you linked, the game does seem way more stable and didn't crash so far.
It may be a temporary solution but it's good enough for me at this point haha !
Thanks a lot, keep up the good work ! ;)

Edit: Nevermind, it's not killing my PC anymore (which is great because it was scary) but I do still end up with a "Now loading" screen that never ends.
Okay, that means test version b is unstable, thanks.

Would you mind trying test version a, then? This is the version that I think should be most stable and which hopefully should load the apartment for just about everyone:

What we came up with for this version is a scripted way to prevent all the music files on the playlist from loading at once.

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Okay, that means test version b is unstable, thanks.

Would you mind trying test version a, then? This is the version that I think should be most stable and which hopefully should load the apartment for just about everyone: Mega

What we came up with for this version is a scripted way to prevent all the music files on the playlist from loading at once.
With the new test version the end result is different, I'm not able to launch a game and reach the appartment, it sticks with the "now loading" screen after I skip the intro. It was hard on my computer this time but definitely not as much as the base version of the game.
Hope this helps you in finding what's wrong :)

Edit: Oh and there was no music by the way

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
With the new test version the end result is different, I'm not able to launch a game and reach the appartment, it sticks with the "now loading" screen after I skip the intro. It was hard on my computer this time but definitely not as much as the base version of the game.

Okay, thanks very much for testing those. Our efforts to fix it had stalled because we couldn't get anybody to test them.

It's a shame to hear that the fixes didn't work, though. I really thought we were close to having this problem wrapped up.

EDIT: Oh, and when you say there was no music, do you mean there was none on the title screen?

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018

Oh, I actually have one more test version - this version takes music out of the apartment altogether just to see if that will fix it for you. Would you mind giving this one a shot too? (Just skip the intro again to go straight to the apartment.)

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Okay, thanks very much for testing those. Our efforts to fix it had stalled because we couldn't get anybody to test them.

It's a shame to hear that the fixes didn't work, though. I really thought we were close to having this problem wrapped up.

EDIT: Oh, and when you say there was no music, do you mean there was none on the title screen?
No problem !
No there was music on the title screen but not when I launched the game, which is normal I guess considering it was a loading screen.
Oh, I actually have one more test version - this version takes music out of the apartment altogether just to see if that will fix it for you. Would you mind giving this one a shot too? (Just skip the intro again to go straight to the apartment.) Mega
Sure I'll give it a go

Reactions: BBBen

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Okay I did as the instructions said, here are the errors I got in the console command:

ENGINE.js:1 ERROR:
ENGINE.js:1 Event {isTrusted: true, type: "error", target: video, currentTarget: video, eventPhase: 2, …}
ENGINE.js:1 Event {isTrusted: true, type: "error", target: video, currentTarget: video, eventPhase: 2, …}

Funny thing is, the game seems to run smoothly right now and so far no unending loading screens !

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
Okay I did as the instructions said, here are the errors I got in the console command:

Funny thing is, the game seems to run smoothly right now and so far no unending loading screens !
Okay... so that does definitely seem to be connected to the music, and our solution just didn't fix it. Thanks very much for testing all these!

I think what I'll have to do is put out a version with no music in the apartment as an alternative for people getting the stability problem. It's very frustrating, but it's probably a memory leak in the engine code. I'll have to try for a longer term solution, but that will take more time, I think.

Reactions: Aratorn

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Okay... so that does definitely seem to be connected to the music, and our solution just didn't fix it. Thanks very much for testing all these!

I think what I'll have to do is put out a version with no music in the apartment as an alternative for people getting the stability problem. It's very frustrating, but it's probably a memory leak in the engine code. I'll have to try for a longer term solution, but that will take more time, I think.
Okay, thanks for developping the game and taking the time to help !
Happy to help ! :)

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
Okay, thanks for developping the game and taking the time to help !
Happy to help ! :)
Of course! One extra question, just to chase down some info - when you played the second test version I sent you ("version A") did you try loading it more than once? I don't think that's the problem, but it theoretically could be one specific track causing the issue.

Aratorn

Sep 8, 2017
Of course! One extra question, just to chase down some info - when you played the second test version I sent you ("version A") did you try loading it more than once? I don't think that's the problem, but it theoretically could be one specific track causing the issue.
Nope, loaded it just once

GermanioBR

Dec 3, 2018
Hey, I think I have some logs for you now. Hope it can help you with...

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
Here's a Nobuko picture from a new shower scene in the patrons' version:
nobuko 23 shower d 2.jpg

And I doubt it'll make any difference, but I felt compelled to issue a little PSA. Please stay safe and protect the people around you! This is going to be with us for a little while yet.
nobuko wash hands psa 1.jpg

BBBen

Smut writer
Game Developer
Jul 6, 2018
Here's something else from a recent update to the game - Shizu should really be more hygienic, but at least a shy girl like her has no trouble with social distancing.

shizu 18 dumpster 2.jpg

shizu 18 dumpster c 1.jpg

4.20 star(s) 25 Votes