4.60 star(s) 41 Votes

Rastafoo

Jun 6, 2018
Is this actual Netorare and not just glorified Netorase where the husband watches and shit?
There was a patreon poll where the dev asked if people want netorase or netorare; the fans chose the former.
But that's only because his other game (Lost in Paradise) already has netori/netorare themes.

I hope its just because the game is still in its early development, but this seems to be another meaningless choices game.
His other game (Lost in Paradise) has meaningful choices and parallel routes (netori vs netorare), so I imagine Lost in Paradise will have branching outcomes as well but give him time! Its a new game! X)

A new turn would be the sister involved in the wife corruption, and why not, at a point, a threesome with both girls and the friend (no incest required, for Patreon rules), for a change.
God I wish Patreon would go back to the way it was. Incest in this game would be wild af. A man can dream.

Reactions: bcool

demidemon

Aug 31, 2016
His other game (Lost in Paradise) has meaningful choices and parallel routes (netori vs netorare), so I imagine Lost in Paradise will have branching outcomes as well but give him time! Its a new game! X)
iirc in lost in paradise, the netori and netorare route seem to be determined at the very beginning. There are no doubt a few brances in Lost in Paradise, but the problem is never about branches.

A lot of choices in both games are something like (1) MC protects his wife from other men and nothing happens vs (2) MC let it happen and watch the scenes. So, do you want to choose (1) nothing or (2) sex scenes? To me this is just an illusion of choices.

Option (1) should have been MC have sex with the wife / wife masturbates / some erotic dialogue / the game just "remember" this choice and it would affect future scenes or dialogue.

Something has to happen to make option (1) a meaningful choice. But in this game and in Lost in paradise, most of the time if you choose not to see the scene, nothing else happen and the story just move on. If you always choose option (1) you are skipping 50% of the scenes while the story is just exactly the same. Why not just go option (2) and watch all the scenes then?

If you are okay with choices being like this then his games are good for you.

Reactions: palmergames

asplly97

Retired
Game Developer
Nov 9, 2018
As cheating tag is included, are there any particular way to go that route? I mean should there be more or zero corruption?

Rastafoo

Jun 6, 2018
Something has to happen to make option (1) a meaningful choice. But in this game and in Lost in paradise, most of the time if you choose not to see the scene, nothing else happen and the story just move on. If you always choose option (1) you are skipping 50% of the scenes while the story is just exactly the same. Why not just go option (2) and watch all the scenes then?
That's not really true though. In Lost in Paradise, if you refuse to let your wife cross the line to sex, you enter a different path with unique dialogue and unique bj scenes that are not possible in the full cucking route. Of course, its really easy to miss that.

Ultimately though, if you want the majority or even the plurality of choices to result in major story changes, there's a tag for that here on f95. Its called the Abandoned Tag. Vast majority of hyper-ambition games lie in that graveyard.

demidemon

Aug 31, 2016
That's not really true though. In Lost in Paradise, if you refuse to let your wife cross the line to sex, you enter a different path with unique dialogue and unique bj scenes that are not possible in the full cucking route. Of course, its really easy to miss that.

Ultimately though, if you want the majority or even the plurality of choices to result in major story changes, there's a tag for that here on f95. Its called the Abandoned Tag. Vast majority of hyper-ambition games lie in that graveyard.
I'm not saying all the choices are meaningless, but a lot of them are. If in your playthrough in both games you never experienced them, then its good for you because you don't notice them. But I did save and load and try different options because I felt like there should be more. Then I checked the code and I realised the choices just weren't balanced.

I agree that if the devs keep expanding the game and keep adding branches, they would fail to update properly. However what I've been saying is just that if choice (A) gives you two scenes, choice (B) should also give you two scenes, then both choices can converge back to the same path, no branches needed, nothing ambition here.

Many visual novel on this site have choices that diverge and converge back to one path perfectly. Its like a small bubble in a linear path so you are not actually making any big changes to the plot or adding new paths to the game.

Does this requires more effort? Absolutely. But these meaningful choices make you feel like you are actually in control, make you feel like you are actually playing a game instead of reading a comic book or watching a movie.

Last edited:

Dimajio333

Game Developer
Nov 26, 2021
I'm not saying all the choices are meaningless, but a lot of them are. If in your playthrough in both games you never experienced them, then its good for you because you don't notice them. But I did save and load and try different options because I felt like there should be more. Then I checked the code and I realised the choices just weren't balanced.

I agree that if the devs keep expanding the game and keep adding branches, they would fail to update properly. However what I've been saying is just that if choice (A) gives you two scenes, choice (B) should also give you two scenes, then both choices can converge back to the same path, no branches needed, nothing ambition here.

Many visual novel on this site have choices that diverge and converge back to one path perfectly. Its like a small bubble in a linear path so you are not actually making any big changes to the plot or adding new paths to the game.

Does this requires more effort? Absolutely. But these meaningful choices make you feel like you are actually in control, make you feel like you are actually playing a game instead of reading a comic book or watching a movie.
I understand what you're talking about. A real choice is when I a) go to New York and there await adventures, or b) I go to San Francisco where the adventures will be of a different nature. This is metaphorical, but it's the real game, not a visual novel. My own games, however, I would still classify as visual novels with gameplay elements: the possibility of some control and participation. For example, in "Lost in Paradise," you (the player) have a significant choice - which path you'll take as a player (btw, this decision led to the need to create content for two completely different stories). Then you proceed along that path, unlocking or not unlocking new intriguing scenes (earning bullying or friendship points on Lia's path) or choosing relationship options with your wife ("submission" or "control" on Eva's path). In "Pineapple Express," the player also has a) the ability to earn points that will play a role (they've already played a role in the dream episode) in unlocking certain scenes and earning more points, or b) in changing the relationships between characters, which can lead to different pathes, like cheating, cuckolding, sharing. I try very hard not to create meaningless options. Sometimes I have to use them to hide things that someone might not like.

bluerubber

Apr 29, 2019
Triggered because of a game wow.
I think you may be confused? My meme was poking fun at the visiting hater that has since deleted his 'helpful and informative' comment, which is still preserved in my quote. But thanks for caring.

Sieglinnde

Let the Nightshine in - Developer
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I really like this game... Because it mixes swinging with NTR in a very good way...
For example:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And also when:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I really like that kind of things... I wish there were more of those situations that aimed more at NTR than swinging, though I know most of the stories made by this dev are Swinging.... Still, I look forward to the next update

• Red Heart
Reactions: Rastafoo

JohnnyKiss

Oct 1, 2017
So far the game has been quite entertaining; we are still early on into it so there isn't much content. Two things I wanted to mention is:

1. I really dislike the "it was all a dream" sex scenes and from what I have seen from here, most people dislike them as well. So my suggestion is to avoid that if possible.

2. The choices aren't really thar creative. It's just he binary "Yes or No" choice and it kind of gets repetetive quite quickly that you might as well split the game into two routes where you don't make any choices and just let things play out. So my second suggestion is to make the choices more creative.

demidemon

Aug 31, 2016
In "Pineapple Express," the player also has a) the ability to earn points that will play a role (they've already played a role in the dream episode) in unlocking certain scenes and earning more points, or b) in changing the relationships between characters, which can lead to different pathes, like cheating, cuckolding, sharing. I try very hard not to create meaningless options. Sometimes I have to use them to hide things that someone might not like.
Since this is the pineapple express thread I will focus on this game. Choices in this game are like, 1) go to the pub and have fun, 2) stay at home (skip the night)

If players don't like the pub and would like to "hide" that, they get nothing in return. Both pub and skip the night are non rewarding or negative for them. This would only feel terrible and they are just picking the lesser of two evils. Theres no positive feelings in the process, both choices are punishing for them.

Your score system also add another straw on the camel's back. If the players choose not to view a scene, they will fall behind in corruption points. So they dont just lose that scene and get nothing in return, they also risk missing future scenes which they may or may not like. This creates a pressure or urge to go for highest corruption score instead of choosing what they actually want. It is more limiting than enabling. What you are doing now is exactly the opposite of your intention. Instead of giving players the controller, you make them feel like being manipulated.

If you really want to use a score system, one way is to have more than one score. For example, you can add another "Suspicion" score, so if you keep saying pineapple express, the score rises and Cornell and Julia will have to do something to prove to his family, something different from the corruption score scenes. Another way is to have different scenes/paths for low, mid and high corruption scores.

These are just some examples, in any case a score system would only make the game more complex and add workload for the devs. Because the reason why you need a score system in first place, is that you have many paths and you want a score system to help players to understand the paths. Keep in mind that you are not making a sim date game where players try to go for high score for as many girls as possible. You don't want players to hunt for points.

There are a lot of articles on the internet about how you can write meaningful choices. If you want videos I suggest the speach by devs of Scarlet Hollow in GDC and "All Choice No Consequence: Efficiently Branching Narrative", you can find both videos in GDC's youtube channel. They should give you some insight in creating choices.

Last edited:

Dimajio333

Game Developer
Nov 26, 2021
Since this is the pineapple express thread I will focus on this game. Choices in this game are like, 1) go to the pub and have fun, 2) stay at home (skip the night)

If players don't like the pub and would like to "hide" that, they get nothing in return. Both pub and skip the night are non rewarding or negative for them. This would only feel terrible and they are just picking the lesser of two evils. Theres no positive feelings in the process, both choices are punishing for them.

Your score system also add another straw on the camel's back. If the players choose not to view a scene, they will fall behind in corruption points. So they dont just lose that scene and get nothing in return, they also risk missing future scenes which they may or may not like. This creates a pressure or urge to go for highest corruption score instead of choosing what they actually want. It is more limiting than enabling. What you are doing now is exactly the opposite of your intention. Instead of giving players the controller, you make them feel like being manipulated.

If you really want to use a score system, one way is to have more than one score. For example, you can add another "Suspicion" score, so if you keep saying pineapple express, the score rises and Cornell and Julia will have to do something to prove to his family, something different from the corruption score scenes. Another way is to have different scenes/paths for low, mid and high corruption scores.

These are just some examples, in any case a score system would only make the game more complex and add workload for the devs. Because the reason why you need a score system in first place, is that you have many paths and you want a score system to help players to understand the paths. Keep in mind that you are not making a sim date game where players try to go for high score for as many girls as possible. You don't want players to hunt for points.

There are a lot of articles on the internet about how you can write meaningful choices. If you want videos I suggest the speach by devs of Scarlet Hollow in GDC and "All Choice No Consequence: Efficiently Branching Narrative", you can find both videos in GDC's youtube channel. They should give you some insight in creating choices.
I both agree and disagree with you. According to my intention, the points earned do not necessarily imply the concealment of certain scenes from the player. I have no intention to manipulate anyone, but rather to bring the situation closer to reality. For example, if the corruption level of the girlfriend is not sufficient, it's quite evident that she would avoid awkward situations, making it impossible to lead her down the path of sexwife, for example. Therefore, scenarios related to this theme would be unavailable to the player, even if he wanted to see something related to this fetish. It's fair, I think. It's doubtful that this can be considered manipulation.

On the other hand, the points are not the most crucial aspect of this story; they merely indicate how willing the character is to experiment. I'm sorry that you've come to the conclusion that you're being manipulated. I will watch the video you recommend. In my opinion, this is an endless debate, and each participant will believe they are right. I don't argue that my system is imperfect, and I admit that. Especially when we're talking about this game, that I initially planned to create as a short visual story. I don't contest the fact that there are hundreds of similar games, much better thought out than mine. It's a matter of personal taste and the developer's professionalism in the end :)

Reactions: Rastafoo

clown48212

Feb 27, 2020
Quite a few years back, Quentin Tarantino put out a film called Death Proof. It's one of the worst films he's made and probably the one that's been most negatively reviewed by critics. In a retrospective for the film, QT talks about what went wrong and what he would fix if given the chance. For example, at the start of the movie there's a scene in the bar that was shot while it was raining outside. Now the scene was meant to be comedic, but none of the test audiences laughed. It wasn't until much later (after the film's release) that he realised the reason why. The sound of the rain completely changed the tone of scene, and audiences didn't realise they were meant to laugh during that scene.

So why did I spend 100 words above talking about a terrible Tarantino film? Simple, this game has a similar problem with its sound design. The same piano track plays on loop throughout the game. The track itself is somewhat plaintive and melancholy. So when you get to a part that's meant to be erotic (eg. the recording of Cornell railing Anna), there's a tonal dissonance as the mood that the piano track conveys is at odds with the context of the scene.

Last edited:

Freedom9555

Nov 7, 2022
There was a patreon poll where the dev asked if people want netorase or netorare; the fans chose the former.
But that's only because his other game (Lost in Paradise) already has netori/netorare themes.

Ok, but neteorase is like cuckholding, were the MC kind of likes it.
But in Lost in Paradise, the MC is also kind of liking it or I am wrong here?

1Teddy1

May 17, 2018
So just it's a swinging game that will never have any NTR?

4.60 star(s) 41 Votes