VN Ren'Py Abandoned Pleasureville - Maddy's Diary [Ep. 2] [Juicyful]

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes

Namba

Dec 22, 2019
Updated on
The End
sad news, but I will cancel this game. Unfortunately I didn't reach the first milestone which would have made sure to further develop the game.

after half a year after the first Episode was released, it is quite sad that the game didn't get as much support as I was hoping for.

It still isn't worth investing so much time in the development.
I'm sorry for all the fans.

:cry:
I suggest the dev keep the possibility of people investing in certain games open to accumulate towards the milestone for more content, you are not a well known developer, neither the game is a well known game, people come and go, i approve of the method of raising funds however don't think the speed in which people that like the game will fund it is going to get faster unless you or the game become famous somehow, even if you start another project you will face the same issue, good luck to you, i hope someday you will come back to the projects you left behind

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
I suggest the dev keep the possibility of people investing in certain games open to accumulate towards the milestone for more content, you are not a well known developer, neither the game is a well known game, people come and go, i approve of the method of raising funds however don't think the speed in which people that like the game will fund it is going to get faster unless you or the game become famous somehow, even if you start another project you will face the same issue, good luck to you, i hope someday you will come back to the projects you left behind
Very true and I agree!

Reactions: Skargaroth

Aion_Abyss

Jul 28, 2020
Updated on
The End
sad news, but I will cancel this game. Unfortunately I didn't reach the first milestone which would have made sure to further develop the game.

after half a year after the first Episode was released, it is quite sad that the game didn't get as much support as I was hoping for.

It still isn't worth investing so much time in the development.
I'm sorry for all the fans.

:cry:
What? Didn't he just start this game? No one ever gets a high milestone right away.

darko87

Apr 1, 2018
Ahh that's a shame, the mc was cute. Her female friend looked 30 at times but overall I was looking forward to where the game was going.

Reactions: DoofusMan

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
Ahh that's a shame, the mc was cute. Her female friend looked 30 at times but overall I was looking forward to where the game was going.
Yeah the MC had a really original/out-of-the-box look that was really cute. And the premise and how the scenes/situations evolved were hot as hell too. :/

Reactions: Juicyful

tigerdiamond

Mar 1, 2020
Another game that gets abandoned because the dev didn't make a few thousands a month during the first few updates. You can't expect to get a massive following from the little content this game had, especially when you already have an abandoned game. That's a big warning sign.
It's really a shame, because now their next project will probably meet the same fate, as people are going to be less likely to pay for every abandoned game in their portfolio. This one had a lot of promise.

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Same for me, this one had a good promise. I liked the the story and the renders, and Maddy is a really cute one...And even I'm normally not that into lesbian content - the scenes with the friend were also hot!

As already mentioned from others the dev should have focused on this one and set the other game to onhold (for now). Making two games at the same time was not a good decision, especially for a new dev. This has only led to the fact that both games have not much content now and havn't been updated that often (only two releases for each game). So of course there weren't that many patrons in that early state of the games.

Nevertheless I would be very happy to see further development here, this is actually a really nice game!

BigEffinPerv

Sep 22, 2017
It's a shame to give up on this game in its infancy just because it didn't immediatly bring in the big bucks. The Pleasureville games had so much potential.

Reactions: DoofusMan

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
Another game that gets abandoned because the dev didn't make a few thousands a month during the first few updates. You can't expect to get a massive following from the little content this game had, especially when you already have an abandoned game. That's a big warning sign.
That's not really how it happened. It's not that they didn't hit a few thousand dollars. It's that they didn't even hit $100. That's a big difference.

A dev going... "Well, we only managed to reach $700 a month after a few months and we were going for $3,000 a month and this was disappointing so I don't think this is gonna work out." is very different from a dev going "The project couldn't even get the most basic level of support to reach the first $100 a month milestone after several months."

It's a major investment in time and energy, and money to develop a game. It's not like you just slap a few lines of code together, and add a couple of pictures in an afternoon. It's hundreds and hundreds of hours of work for only minutes of gameplay.

The world does not stop around a developer in some magical bubble in order to develop a game. It would be great if it did, but you know the rent doesn't pay itself. Nor does the fridge fill itself with food. Nor can a dev take their garden hose over to their gas tank to fill it up.

Missing the first milestone can be very discouraging.

A bigger dev not being able to cash in at that $10,000 peaking at only $3,000 is not gonna put the game in great danger. They are definitely making enough for development to pay for itself at this point, and have a little extra.

A little dev not being able to cash in at that first $100 a month milestone can be catastrophic. The game is definitely not paying for itself at this point. The hours worked, and money spent on assets is gonna leave a dev in the hole big time.

Many games out there now are pretty much pirated from day 1. This really hurts a dev's ability to generate new supporters. I'm a pirate too, and I love to pirate games don't get me wrong. I have been pirating longer than I have been developing. Pirates gonna pirate.

This game would have had better chances I think if it just got the word out better, and had Patreon too instead of just a subscribe star. A lot of devs make more money on Patreon, and few supporters use subscribe star. Next time around I hope this dev uses Patreon, and works on that marketing a little better. They definitely got some talent, but it's rough out there to get noticed in a sea of games.

Jun 17, 2017
That's not really how it happened. It's not that they didn't hit a few thousand dollars. It's that they didn't even hit $100. That's a big difference.

A dev going... "Well, we only managed to reach $700 a month after a few months and we were going for $3,000 a month and this was disappointing so I don't think this is gonna work out." is very different from a dev going "The project couldn't even get the most basic level of support to reach the first $100 a month milestone after several months."

It's a major investment in time and energy, and money to develop a game. It's not like you just slap a few lines of code together, and add a couple of pictures in an afternoon. It's hundreds and hundreds of hours of work for only minutes of gameplay.

The world does not stop around a developer in some magical bubble in order to develop a game. It would be great if it did, but you know the rent doesn't pay itself. Nor does the fridge fill itself with food. Nor can a dev take their garden hose over to their gas tank to fill it up.

Missing the first milestone can be very discouraging.

A bigger dev not being able to cash in at that $10,000 peaking at only $3,000 is not gonna put the game in great danger. They are definitely making enough for development to pay for itself at this point, and have a little extra.

A little dev not being able to cash in at that first $100 a month milestone can be catastrophic. The game is definitely not paying for itself at this point. The hours worked, and money spent on assets is gonna leave a dev in the hole big time.

Many games out there now are pretty much pirated from day 1. This really hurts a dev's ability to generate new supporters. I'm a pirate too, and I love to pirate games don't get me wrong. I have been pirating longer than I have been developing. Pirates gonna pirate.

This game would have had better chances I think if it just got the word out better, and had Patreon too instead of just a subscribe star. A lot of devs make more money on Patreon, and few supporters use subscribe star. Next time around I hope this dev uses Patreon, and works on that marketing a little better. They definitely got some talent, but it's rough out there to get noticed in a sea of games.
The thing is, with so little content released and only 2 updates for this game, you aren't going to get a lot of people wanting to support it. And since there are so many devs just trying to milk the market, people aren't that willing to support devs who haven't proven they can deliver yet. Sad thing is that gems like this go unsupported.

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
A pity, especially for this one. The other game (Pleasureville - Naughty Neighbourhood) wasn't bad either, but this one in particular was special to me.

In retrospect, it's probably easy to say what could have been done better, and I'm not a game developer either. However, I still think the focus should have been on only one game. Now both games have reached only 2 releases with below-average amount of content - so it would have been actually a miracle for me if there had been already a lot of patrons/subscribers at this point.

I don't know if the dev is trying a new project or has completely canceled developing. Nevertheless all the best from me, it was actually nice playing the games.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
The thing is, with so little content released and only 2 updates for this game, you aren't going to get a lot of people wanting to support it. And since there are so many devs just trying to milk the market, people aren't that willing to support devs who haven't proven they can deliver yet. Sad thing is that gems like this go unsupported.
That is a very valid point. A game that has been around for a lot longer, and has had many updates and a lot of content is more likely to be supported. It may have become a "sleeper hit" if they stuck it out a bit longer. Who knows?

Time for a counterpoint though:

This wasn't their only game. They had the 2nd game with a male protagonist. Combined the 2 games were not hitting $100 after 2 updates on each. 4 total updates. Those a pretty grim numbers and very discouraging for a dev. Another cause could have been the declining reviews as a cherry on top. Both games started out with 4 and 5-star reviews and then started getting 2 and 3-star reviews after 2nd updates for some reason unclear. It's one thing to get a bad review when you are stacking paper. It's entirely another when you are too poor to pay attention. Bad reviews can be MAJORLY discouraging on financially unfruitful games.

Jun 17, 2017
That is a very valid point. A game that has been around for a lot longer, and has had many updates and a lot of content is more likely to be supported. It may have become a "sleeper hit" if they stuck it out a bit longer. Who knows?

Time for a counterpoint though:

This wasn't their only game. They had the 2nd game with a male protagonist. Combined the 2 games were not hitting $100 after 2 updates on each. 4 total updates. Those a pretty grim numbers and very discouraging for a dev. Another cause could have been the declining reviews as a cherry on top. Both games started out with 4 and 5-star reviews and then started getting 2 and 3-star reviews after 2nd updates for some reason unclear. It's one thing to get a bad review when you are stacking paper. It's entirely another when you are too poor to pay attention. Bad reviews can be MAJORLY discouraging on financially unfruitful games.
I understand what you mean, but starting out with 2 games at the same time is in 99% of the cases, a bad move. If the dev had put all their focus on one game, they could've produced more content for that game, instead of having 2 games with negligable content. I tend to wait for a couple of updates before I subscribe to a game, to see how the game evolves and if I feel the content is worth supporting. There have been a few games like this, where the content is almost negligable after 2 updates.

Truvelo

Jul 16, 2017
I understand that the developer did not get the desired amount of money by the specified deadline, but let's be serious, the developer of Summertime Saga at the beginning worked completely alone and the game was not only free at the beginning but is free to this day, payments for his Patreon they were and still are optional, just to earn something you have to do something first, 2 episodes that are not too long are not something that will convince the player to support such a game right away.

darko87

Apr 1, 2018
In all honesty I don't even check out most games until they're on their 5th or so patch/version/chapter and therefore have some content to them. I know it's hard to develop games and it takes a long time but the first several months almost have to be a labour of love before support starts up.

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
In all honesty I don't even check out most games until they're on their 5th or so patch/version/chapter and therefore have some content to them. I know it's hard to develop games and it takes a long time but the first several months almost have to be a labour of love before support starts up.
If not first year or more even. Shit is hardcore, but there's a reason for it, the market is literally oversaturated. Especially since Steam opened their flood gates lol. This website is past 9300 games, just for example. Gotta really stand out and be ready to put a lot of work in before making any kind of living out of it.

4.40 star(s) 8 Votes