3.80 star(s) 82 Votes

Idaho Greg

Oct 18, 2020
Most pokemon fans are actually bad at pokemon games.
Think about all the people who complained about Whitney's miltank.

RustyHorseman

Dec 4, 2019
Most pokemon fans are actually bad at pokemon games.
Think about all the people who complained about Whitney's miltank.
To be fair, we where like 7 when she first rolled out on us. And people today forget that Rollout itself used to be a new move in which no one knew what it was in the ancient past that was the early 2000s.

DumbassThiccass

Sep 22, 2021
Uhuh. First off, the Audinos give much more exp than the ordinary trainers, and are much weaker than any trainer on route 1, essentially free. Secondly, Pokemon as a game is literally created around the concept of collecting and grinding, so you're complaining about a core mechanic that all pokemon games have. Thirdly, your definition of 'high difficulty' is the same nonsense spewed by all the other complainants here who hate using items, using stat moves, using terrain moves, using anything aside from 'brrr, hit super-effective brr.'

And finally, All pokemon available in both the Town and route 1 were designed to hard counter Joey. You were just too lazy to catch and train. All in all, you are full of it.

Good day to you sir.
Damn we got the dev here.
Listen man, I appreciate people who make any kind of romhack/game/similar. It takes a lot of time and effort. But your high horse needs to be reached with a ladder.

1) Yes, Audino exp is free. So is wild grass pokemon exp. But at level 11ish, the trainers I was fighting gave roughly 470+ exp if I beat a mon, the same amount as the level 7 Audino's exp. So yeah, your 'ordinary trainers' give audino levels of exp.
Beyond that, in regards to it being free, why should it matter if I spend 1 minute to get one level of exp instead of 10 grinding in the grass?

2) Training is a core mechanic, not grinding. Most route one areas let you 'naturally level' where you fight whatever is in the grass, and then the trainers on the way, and you'll be doing fine. Your view of the 'core mechanic' may be a long grind fest, but that isn't really the case most of the time. Beyond that, if grinding is a core mechanic, but this is your romhack/game, then you can make it better (see Emerald Rogue's groupleveling + forced level cap system).

Speaking of level-caps, I should be able to take on trainers at my level, and I'm not talking about Joey here. Let's just grab a rando trainer on route one, the lass with Peliper and stage two Pidgy. They're both level 14, second stage pokemon. Using the items provided, buying potions, setting berries, using debuff moves like baby-doll eyes and powder moves, a team of pokemon from only route one (not the cave to the left) doesn't really stand a chance. Mankey? Flying types can one shot at matching levels. Jumpluff and Bellsprout can get lucky and survive a hit to provide sleep or poison, if the powder hits. Your only two options after setup then, are your starter, zigzagoon, and snubull (who i didnt use as I've used one in my teams for many games and wanted a shift in pace). Zigzagoon has mid defense and a headbutt does less than a third HP. If you go for weakening with Baby Doll eyes, you can allow your starter to get wackin. Then the starter uses its (frankly busted this early) 20hp damage move, stalls with leftovers, and you may beat ONE of the two pokemon.
But you can't use evasion against Keen Eye and you WILL get hit with at least one sand attack.

I've played my fair share of nuzlocke runs, and completed them, I'm not adverse to a challenge. There is room for strategy in these fights, and I don't doubt that the game evens out further in. But I ain't "full of it" for thinking your view of 'difficulty' is kaizo-like. Sod off.

blubbervink

Oct 15, 2018
Listen man, I appreciate people who make any kind of romhack/game/similar. It takes a lot of time and effort. But your high horse needs to be reached with a ladder.

1) Yes, Audino exp is free. So is wild grass pokemon exp. But at level 11ish, the trainers I was fighting gave roughly 470+ exp if I beat a mon, the same amount as the level 7 Audino's exp. So yeah, your 'ordinary trainers' give audino levels of exp.
Beyond that, in regards to it being free, why should it matter if I spend 1 minute to get one level of exp instead of 10 grinding in the grass?

2) Training is a core mechanic, not grinding. Most route one areas let you 'naturally level' where you fight whatever is in the grass, and then the trainers on the way, and you'll be doing fine. Your view of the 'core mechanic' may be a long grind fest, but that isn't really the case most of the time. Beyond that, if grinding is a core mechanic, but this is your romhack/game, then you can make it better (see Emerald Rogue's groupleveling + forced level cap system).

Speaking of level-caps, I should be able to take on trainers at my level, and I'm not talking about Joey here. Let's just grab a rando trainer on route one, the lass with Peliper and stage two Pidgy. They're both level 14, second stage pokemon. Using the items provided, buying potions, setting berries, using debuff moves like baby-doll eyes and powder moves, a team of pokemon from only route one (not the cave to the left) doesn't really stand a chance. Mankey? Flying types can one shot at matching levels. Jumpluff and Bellsprout can get lucky and survive a hit to provide sleep or poison, if the powder hits. Your only two options after setup then, are your starter, zigzagoon, and snubull (who i didnt use as I've used one in my teams for many games and wanted a shift in pace). Zigzagoon has mid defense and a headbutt does less than a third HP. If you go for weakening with Baby Doll eyes, you can allow your starter to get wackin. Then the starter uses its (frankly busted this early) 20hp damage move, stalls with leftovers, and you may beat ONE of the two pokemon.
But you can't use evasion against Keen Eye and you WILL get hit with at least one sand attack.

I've played my fair share of nuzlocke runs, and completed them, I'm not adverse to a challenge. There is room for strategy in these fights, and I don't doubt that the game evens out further in. But I ain't "full of it" for thinking your view of 'difficulty' is kaizo-like. Sod off.
Git Gud.

Reactions: FlexBocchi

LordofWTF

Sep 9, 2021

get good noob

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017

My difficulty is Kaizo-like? LOLOLOL this gave me a laugh, thank you.

I can waste a half hour telling you how wrong you are about that but you would probably brush it off. (Anyone who actually plays Kaizo will know how insane your game knowledge have to be to survive that shit)
But I will still counter.

Here's the thing bud. Difficulty is subjective (shocked face) and so far, I don't think any of your complaints have been valid for two very good reasons: Your Waifumon. There are 2 of them. Your starter, and the Lopunny you can get on route 1. The Starter has stats equal to a pseudo-legendary, and has an insane moveset that allows setup, build-up, and decent coverage. Literally can body the entire route with a couple of healing items sub level 20.

And then we have Lopunny, who has stats buffed to over 500+ in comparison to the mid 400s it normally has. It also has strong setup and sweep moveset that are uniquely powerful that allows her to just own basically anyone with one single swords dance setup.

Now, you might be wondering, what's the point then of building a team, if the Waifumon are so busted? Type-coverage, and players who enjoy a crazier challenge wouldn't even use the Waifumon to begin with(there are a couple of crazy bastards in our discord server who are currently doing a no waifumon run, and they are surviving, making your complaints have less credence)

There's a damn good reason why money becomes easier and easier to get the more you progress. The Pokemart in Eclipse City also sells EV buffers like Calcium, Protein, etc.

Now lets address the specific battle you talk about, the dual flying type Lass. Once again, I think you're full of it. its all about leveling. When Andalass evolves at lv 18, she gains the STEEL typing, which makes her resistant to most of the trainers on the route, the Lass included. So they can 'whack' you all they want, they wouldn't be able to take her down unless you're incredibly unlucky (and get crit) or just plain dumb. It might come as a shock to you, that I would want players to focus on their starter, considering the amount of work I put into creating her and presenting her as your primary Pokemon.

As for the level-cap system. I wanted to add it in, but unfortunately it forces people to reset their saves and after holding a vote, a majority of people do not want it implemented until the game is complete. Which makes sense since a lot of players have spent hours grinding away for the right natures, EV training, etc and do not want to restart their progress.

So yeah, all in all I still think you're full of it. You're not a newbie, no. But clearly your expectations for the game going in, and your vision of it simply isn't the same as mine. Also, your lack of patience (made clear by the fact you missed a LOT of details that requires leveling and exploring) is your issue, not mine.

Do i think the game needs better balancing? Oh certainly, I've admitted as much on many previous posts. But anybody with logic would know that its impossible to balance the game in a way that makes everyone happy. My target demographic have always been Pokemon Showdown players and old school gamers who love the EV grinding and team-building. All the grinding and time crunching is intentional, because the game itself isn't particularly HUGE compared to mainstream games or other fan-games.

Anyways, thank you for your time. Sod off.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: timothybb69

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
With that stated, I made the mistake of getting Lopunny and saving instead of save scumming for nature. Are there going to be any nature mints in the future? Not maxed attack on a fighting type is bad news in the event someone throws a chunky Normal type at you like Slaking, Regigigas or Arceus. My fighting types of choice are usually Mega Blaziken, Iron Hands or Mienshao. I did like the ability to kick the crap out of a sashed Smeargle though. And will Mega Waifumon be in the game?

blubbervink

Oct 15, 2018
With that stated, I made the mistake of getting Lopunny and saving instead of save scumming for nature. Are there going to be any nature mints in the future? Not maxed attack on a fighting type is bad news in the event someone throws a chunky Normal type at you like Slaking, Regigigas or Arceus. My fighting types of choice are usually Mega Blaziken, Iron Hands or Mienshao. I did like the ability to kick the crap out of a sashed Smeargle though. And will Mega Waifumon be in the game?
If you mean if there are going to be set natures, unfortunatly no. Dev has no control over the natures

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
I wasn't talking about set natures but the items that change natures. That answer still covers both topics though. Could you point me to the page where he says he doesn't have control over it? I kind of find it weird he doesn't when I can just jump into Pokemon Ocandia's vandalisms of other games and Pokemon Ecchi by Hinoarashi and activate debug mode and just set moves, natures and all that and I'm pretty sure there's other fan games that can change nature without putting in tester cheats.

Reactions: blubbervink

blubbervink

Oct 15, 2018
I wasn't talking about set natures but the items that change natures. That answer still covers both topics though. Could you point me to the page where he says he doesn't have control over it? I kind of find it weird he doesn't when I can just jump into Pokemon Ocandia's vandalisms of other games and Pokemon Ecchi by Hinoarashi and activate debug mode and just set moves, natures and all that and I'm pretty sure there's other fan games that can change nature without putting in tester cheats.
He mentioned that trough the discord server. Feel free to join and ask him about these items there. Im defenitely interested if this can be done

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
I hate discord with a growing passion. And I also dislike it when people gate information behind there that shouldn't be. I'm here on a forum for a game that should have all the information on it.

blubbervink

Oct 15, 2018
I hate discord with a growing passion. And I also dislike it when people gate information behind there that shouldn't be. I'm here on a forum for a game that should have all the information on it.
And what information am i gateing exactlty?
I respond with information given on the discord and and on this forum for everyone's convinience.
I suggest you join discord cuz dev is more active on there and so you can ask your own question.
Guess ill just leave it be and you can wait till dev answers here.

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
And what information am i gateing exactlty?
I respond with information given on the discord and and on this forum for everyone's convinience.
I suggest you join discord cuz dev is more active on there and so you can ask your own question.
Guess ill just leave it be and you can wait till dev answers here.
I was making more of a general statement than an accusation towards you. That's my feelings on any project that has a more active discord than forum when it is unnecessary.

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
I was making more of a general statement than an accusation towards you. That's my feelings on any project that has a more active discord than forum when it is unnecessary.
The thing is, debug mode allows you to change natures, but I myself have no plausible way of making that a natural occurance within the game. That's why I said it was impossible, not because it cannot be done, but it cannot be made to fit the game without it being blatant cheating. Debug mode is something I would never recommend players to use anyway, unless they know what they're doing. If they mess something up, its on them.

Also you mentioned games that allow you to change Pokemon natures without it being cheating? Do point me to them, because from all my hours on Pokemon essentials, I've never found a solution. If it is possible, it is likely a modded script that needs to be installed separately into the game. I prefer not use any mods, because the last time I installed one for testing (follower pokemon mod) it pretty much broke the game.

Also, please be nice to blubbervink. The man is an unpaid moderator. Thanks.

Oh, and while its unfortunate that you dislike Discord, I must say that saying we are 'gatekeeping' information is honestly over-the-top. Nobody is gatekeeping anything. I prefer to converse there since I don't have to deal with 'players' who get mad over the most mundane things. You're free to like or dislike a social platform, but please do not use the term 'gatekeeping' because the gate was never closed to you, you simply chose to not enter it. I hope this answers your questions, have a good one.

EDIT: I talked to beta-testers in the Discord server and apparently there is a new mechanic introduced in Pokemon SW/SH for 'mints' that allow you to change your pokemon's natures. I will include them into the game at some point, but not immediately. Probably 5th or 6th gym.

Last edited:

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
I wasn't trying to be mean in the first place. I'm pretty sure this was misinterpreted to be more extreme of a statement than it was. Possibly gated was the wrong word to use because it was too close to gatekeeping which is this era's controversial topic. I never once used the term gatekeeping either. I could have said divided or anything like that and I keep forgetting how tense things get out of my own foolishness. To rephrase what I was trying to say, I don't think information should be divided between anywhere when it doesn't need to be. Why do it in two places where not all information available is the same? It just seems inefficient and more likely to cause confusion. I play your game, I like your game and I don't dislike you or blubber. I'm not trying to put either of you down or anything. Please don't assume malice from me.

I am still left with the question of what specifically is preventing the addition of Nature mints, an item present in the games siince Gen 8. Debug mode was not an answer I was suggesting for that but it was an example of how other games in RPG maker have allowed for nature changing along with devs taking it upon themselves to program in Nature mints in other, separate projects. You have said this is implausible but I wanted to know what makes it implausible so I could find a way to suggest something that would make it easier for you to implement. I did notice that the Houndour line had an old learnset so is it something to do with using an outdated edition of Pokemon Essentials or its current build not including Nature Mints as items?

Last edited:

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
I wasn't trying to be mean in the first place. I'm pretty sure this was misinterpreted to be more extreme of a statement than it was. Possibly gated was the wrong word to use because it was too close to gatekeeping which is this era's controversial topic. I never once used the term gatekeeping either. I could have said divided or anything like that and I keep forgetting how tense things get out of my own foolishness. To rephrase what I was trying to say, I don't think information should be divided between anywhere when it doesn't need to be. Why do it in two places where not all information available is the same? It just seems inefficient and more likely to cause confusion. I play your game, I like your game and I don't dislike you or blubber. I'm not trying to put either of you down or anything. Please don't assume malice from me.

I am still left with the question of what specifically is preventing the addition of Nature mints, an item present in the games siince Gen 8. Debug mode was not an answer I was suggesting for that but it was an example of how other games in RPG maker have allowed for nature changing along with devs taking it upon themselves to program in Nature mints in other, separate projects. You have said this is implausible but I wanted to know what makes it implausible so I could find a way to suggest something that would make it easier for you to implement. I did notice that the Houndour line had an old learnset so is it something to do with using an outdated edition of Pokemon Essentials or its current build not including Nature Mints as items?
Nah, its just me working on old information. I used Pokemon essentials ver 19.1 and mints were not introduced at the time. I switched over to version 20.1 without fully reading through the changelogs so I was not aware until just now. 'Mints' are indeed a thing, and it can be included in the game. But obviously, I'm not letting players have access to that too early, so I'll save it for a later city/town.

Experimentx

Apr 8, 2022
That's completely reasonable. Also I like your choices of making the waifumon viable. It's nice to see Pokemon shine when they couldn't do so in the original games after a certain point. And imo you made the Trainer Battle side of things more fun than in Ecchi as Fakemon and "eventmon" style variants change things up nicely when done well. For Viruark though, are you aware her typing and ability is shared by Overquil? She's fun to use as is but if she had Serene Grace or a variant of Corrosion it would make her distinct besides her stats. Edit: I'm a dummy. Poison Point is not Poison Touch. Alolan Muk has Poison touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SINtax EroRR

SINtax EroRR

Game Developer
Jun 21, 2017
That's completely reasonable. Also I like your choices of making the waifumon viable. It's nice to see Pokemon shine when they couldn't do so in the original games after a certain point. And imo you made the Trainer Battle side of things more fun than in Ecchi as Fakemon and "eventmon" style variants change things up nicely when done well. For Viruark though, are you aware her typing and ability is shared by Overquil? She's fun to use as is but if she had Serene Grace or a variant of Corrosion it would make her distinct besides her stats. Edit: I'm a dummy. Poison Point is not Poison Touch. Alolan Muk has Poison touch.
I think she's fine as is. I have a lot of waifumon and fakemon down the line, so its likely ideas will overlap sooner or later.

0nymous

Nov 16, 2016
Nah, its just me working on old information. I used Pokemon essentials ver 19.1 and mints were not introduced at the time. I switched over to version 20.1 without fully reading through the changelogs so I was not aware until just now. 'Mints' are indeed a thing, and it can be included in the game. But obviously, I'm not letting players have access to that too early, so I'll save it for a later city/town.
Mints don't change a nature, they only have the technical purpose of changing stats.
When used from the Bag on a Pokémon, it changes the effect of a Pokémon's Nature on its stats to that of the Nature corresponding to the mint used. The Pokémon's actual Nature, however, remains unchanged.
So adding mints is just going to serve the minmaxing purpose, it won't fix the fundamental "natures don't fit their personalities" problem.

Pokémon Essentials :
Sets the Pokémon's nature. Use pkmn.nature = nil to remove the override and have the nature be determined by the Pokémon's personal ID.
pkmn.nature_for_stats = :HASTY will treat the Pokémon's nature as this one when it comes to calculating its effect on the Pokémon's stats. It is used by the Gen 8 mints. Use pkmn.nature_for_stats = nil to remove this override and have the stats be affected by the Pokémon's actual nature.
I wouldn't call it "cheating", if you're the one that decides what nature each of the waifumons would be preset with. In fact, it does the opposite: it would prevent savescumming (because you totally can do it right now, by relaunching the game to before the waifumon joins your party) and add an extra layer of difficulty to the game; no cheesing via stat min-maxing.
Ultimately though, I just think they should have preset natures because the waifumons have actual personalities as exhibited in their events/stories and their natures should reflect that.

And should you want to keep the stat minmaxing aspect of the game; well, that would be the perfect opportunity for adding Mints.

3.80 star(s) 82 Votes