ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
Yep, figuring things out is hard when all the blood goes south. There are diminishing returns to how horny this game makes you, however, so eventually you'll start getting less horny and get more blood to brain, leading to eureka moments.
That's both hilarious and accurate. After a few runs, the gameplay makes you forget all about the lewds and it becomes just a plain old roguelike with adult themes sprinkled here and there.

hate Newspapers001

Apr 18, 2022
Can anyone recommend a game like this but... simpler?
I do like it when there's some strategy required and I love the art in this but god damn why does the game have to make me feel like a fucking retard. It took me maybe 2 hours before I stopped struggling with the UI, and now after ~12 hours I still don't know how to get out of early game. Tried to follow the "absolute beginner" guide on the wiki and it kinda worked for the first couple of ingame days but then even the guide became too hard for me to follow...
Play as the femboy, go to arena training area, spam training while switching levels. You'll become a demigod in like 15 days. The partner trait is also good for beginners, let's you get an OP starter companion, but they are perma-gone(until you raise relationship again)

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
The UI probably doesn't help I guess (especially the font, I wish we could resize it, it's horrible for people who don't see very well), but I would guess the main reason is likely the learning curve. The in-game tutorial is very brief and then bam, you're in the thick of it with only a very general idea of what to do or where to go, while the game has far too many moving parts beyond what is explained. People who try it probably bang their head against the wall for a bit before giving up.
Or maybe the fact that people don't like to "work" to get to the dirty bits of the game. I admit the art is what pulled me in at first, but at this point I mostly treat it as a roguelike of sorts that happens to have some smut sprinkled in.

This might be the wrong platform to get this type of game much visibility as well. From what I've seen around the site, people here, for the most part, tend to prefer the instant, full blown animated 3D smut. Text based games don't have a big following to begin with and I imagine the dev's art style doesn't appeal to many.

Reactions: clockwinding

hate Newspapers001

Apr 18, 2022
The UI probably doesn't help I guess (especially the font, I wish we could resize it, it's horrible for people who don't see very well), but I would guess the main reason is likely the learning curve. The in-game tutorial is very brief and then bam, you're in the thick of it with only a very general idea of what to do or where to go, while the game has far too many moving parts beyond what is explained. People who try it probably bang their head against the wall for a bit before giving up.
Or maybe the fact that people don't like to "work" to get to the dirty bits of the game. I admit the art is what pulled me in at first, but at this point I mostly treat it as a roguelike of sorts that happens to have some smut sprinkled in.

This might be the wrong platform to get this type of game much visibility as well. From what I've seen around the site, people here, for the most part, tend to prefer the instant, full blown animated 3D smut. Text based games don't have a big following to begin with and I imagine the dev's art style doesn't appeal to many.
Text-based games are still popular, albeit not nearly as much as 3D ones sure. CoC and Tales of Adrogony are incredibly popular. There's a couple factors at play here I feel. Both CoC and Tales of Adrogony have a bit of a learning curve, they aren't hard games but they aren't the average VN either. Both games have a decent UI, at least I remember it as such. I personally think part of it's ease-of-access, finding portals of phereon is pretty hard. The content isn't obscene, it could be on itch.io or some other platform.

ankhtar

Jan 24, 2020
when i copy paste it it says old save cant load on windows 10 ?
can u help out ?
The original post claims it was made with Linux, so that may be the problem. I don't understand anything about Linux/windows compatibility to actually help, though.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
The original post claims it was made with Linux, so that may be the problem. I don't understand anything about Linux/windows compatibility to actually help, though.
I'm guessing they actually tried to load it as a save instead of following the directions. It's not a “save file”, it's an “Unlockables”. That's all I can tell from their English.

Last edited:

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
when i copy paste it it says old save cant load on windows 10 ?
can u help out ?
Okay, assuming you're not trying to open the file, don't do that, and you're getting the error when running the game; check the file permissions. Its possible if you're just dropping the file into the folder the game doesn't have permission to read/write to the file.

But just to make sure, you should just be dropping that file into the saves folder. Nothing else is done with it. You shouldn't need to load it at all.

If you're still having trouble post a screenshot of whatever message you're getting (filter out an personal details in the file paths and what not, of course)

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Okay, assuming you're not trying to open the file, don't do that, and you're getting the error when running the game; check the file permissions. Its possible if you're just dropping the file into the folder the game doesn't have permission to read/write to the file.

But just to make sure, you should just be dropping that file into the saves folder. Nothing else is done with it. You shouldn't need to load it at all.

If you're still having trouble post a screenshot of whatever message you're getting (filter out an personal details in the file paths and what not, of course)
The only way to get that error is if they're trying to use it as a save file, which is against the directions. Don't assist, just tell them to read the directions and to not waste our time. Encourage better behaviors on other's parts. :)

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
The only way to get that error is if they're trying to use it as a save file, which is against the directions. Don't assist, just tell them to read the directions and to not waste our time. Encourage better behaviors on other's parts. :)
Ahh, lmao

I've never actually seen that error myself, so I was trying not to assume he was doing something that obvious.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
Don't assist, just tell them to read the directions and to not waste our time. Encourage better behaviors on other's parts. :)
I agree with the sentiment, less so with the "cure".
Examples can include this, or SlaveBar's thread "how to uncensor?" asked every single page. If you let weeds alone, they prolify proliferate. There's no miracle elixir against lazyness and selfishness.
However:
Installation:
1- Extract to desired location.
2- Click on "PoP.exe" to start playing.

If you are moving your saves to a newer version, only the unlockables.sav is compatible.
In this case it would be best to point out how OP did a great job. The ideal goal would be to create a virtuous circle where we'd all (you, me, the clueless and the lazy, and OPs) learn from positive examples. I can dream, can't I? :LOL:
PS/edit for typo: prolix much? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
“Proliferate”, you mean? And yeah, no cure if they don't want it, so why waste your own time. ;) I used to baby people until I learned that sometimes they don't even have basic copy/paste/delete/move experience. Not going to waste my time with that, especially since my directions only assume a basic level of competence with PCs. If they don't even have a basic level, they shouldn't even be near a PC. That person didn't even read the directions. The only way to get that error is to try loading it as a save, when it's clearly marked and named as an Unlockables. They didn't read. I won't waste time on those who don't even try to rtfm. Life is too short.

Reactions: sandsea_urchin

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
I won't waste time on those who don't even try to rtfm. Life is too short.
Wise words.
But when (and if) in doubt, sometimes give them the benefit. A good deed is selfish anyway: you always hope for the recipient (or the onlookers in most cases), to do a good deed in return - often not directed to you, but someone needs to sow seed at some point if one's to reap any reward down here :p Life being short, why not leave a few healthy saplings behind?

A positive example is this thread(the Black Souls' ones also come to mind): many people share their experience about this monster of a game, there's much to learn if you want to, and little to no aggressivity between users as an overall result. I wish I'd witness that more often :censored:

Last edited:

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Wise words.
But when (and if) in doubt, sometimes give them the benefit. A good deed is selfish anyway: you always hope for the recipient (or the onlookers in most cases), to do a good deed in return - often not directed to you, but someone needs to sow seed at some point if one's to reap any reward down here :p Life being short, why not leave a few healthy saplings behind?

A positive example is this thread(the Black Souls' ones also come to mind): many people share their experience about this monster of a game, there's much to learn if you want to, and little to no aggressivity between users as an overall result. I wish I'd witness that more often :censored:
I don't think it selfish that I expect them to read the directions on something offered freely to them. I felt it was benefit given when I didn't reply “RTFM n00b”. I get burnt out on that kind of mass. Helped far too many for far too long.

tehlemon

Jan 26, 2021
Uh...

I'm here because I'm bored. If I'm bored enough I'll answer questions, even stupid ones. Usually stupid ones. Those people tend to give you the most entertainment in the short run.

imad9009

Sep 9, 2019
I don't think it selfish that I expect them to read the directions on something offered freely to them. I felt it was benefit given when I didn't reply “RTFM n00b”. I get burnt out on that kind of mass. Helped far too many for far too long.
what i meant was i put the unlockables file in the save folder and it still didnt unlock the gallery

4.10 star(s) 79 Votes