Others Predation [v0.2.1.0] [HornedLizardStudios, Veronika Repo]

3.70 star(s) 7 Votes
May 21, 2019
that what I like about you guys, you actually answer our question.
The reason it's been over a year is because when I joined the project, and those who played the game years ago can confirm, the code was a hot mess. It was full of bugs, almost nothing worked right and adding anything new took a lot of running around the code to see what depends on what. I don't blame Sephra for this, when he started he just wanted to make something fun for everyone, for free. But since the project got so big he asked help from a few people, but none of them had any real programming experience. That's when I came in. I knew the game is doomed and I made the very difficult decision of deleting all 140,000+ lines of code and starting over from the very beginning. That's what I've been doing for over a year now. Reworking the whole game with a strong base, so it's much easier to add things on top of it later on, and ever since then I was the only one touching the code in any way. We're very close to the end, I just don't want to disappoint anyone. I hope once Sephra finishes the creative part, things will go much more smoothly when it comes to new content and updates. Thank you for sticking with us.

Reactions: Ali Igla

bulletslip101

Sep 16, 2020
Good decision. The animations and ideas are amazing and fun but the way the game played was an absolute janky mess.
Which was fine because first steps.

I've been watching this project for 4 years. I'm in no rush.

May 21, 2019
I wanted to give you guys a small update! I've been taking almost two weeks off from my job to work on things, I still have tomorrow and Monday off. We made really great progress, right now the only things left are a few cutscenes and sound design. And that's something I've been doing today, so here's some of that (It's best with headphones), along with most of the re-design in the new version. I know it's not much but we hope to bring the game out very soon!

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
Good job on the sound work, many devs consider audio to be secondary or even tertiary but it's really important for a lot a of games.

MTCF

Aug 31, 2017
Kinda miss the dog enemy, probably could have been redesigned into a monster/creature but that's just like making a new whole enemy again

nice work

May 21, 2019
Kinda miss the dog enemy, probably could have been redesigned into a monster/creature but that's just like making a new whole enemy again

nice work
The dog enemy, and any future feral content will be in the Subscribestar versions, uncensored. Both for the 2 week early build and the public build, but we will only provide the download on Subscribestar to avoid Patreon's wrath.

May 21, 2019
A big update for everyone who's interested in the game! We are finally at a point where we feel comfortable sharing the build with TESTERS. This is a test build, it's unfinished and will have things that we missed, things that don't work right, or things that are missing, but in it's current state, the game can be finished! This test build is generally for people who support us above a certain tier, but I don't mind giving it out to everyone else here, after all the positive feedback we had, and the more people help us test, the faster I can fix everything! However, since this is going to be a test build, I will have to constantly update the game to fix issues, this means an update once every day or 2 days. Currently, we will only distribute the game on our Discord server, but I'm more than happy to constantly update this place as well, I just need someone to help me with it, since I have no clue how things work exactly. (sorry) Thank you for sticking with us as well! It means a lot!

May 21, 2019
I cant enter the discord I wonder why since im using the oficial site link
Your discord got hacked last time and you started sending out malicious links in all the channels so we might have removed you. I can't see your name on the banned list, so if you changed your name feel free to DM me and I'll add you to the server. My Discord name is in the latest public posts on both Subscribestar and Patreon.

J55555

Dec 31, 2019
A big update for everyone who's interested in the game! We are finally at a point where we feel comfortable sharing the build with TESTERS. This is a test build, it's unfinished and will have things that we missed, things that don't work right, or things that are missing, but in it's current state, the game can be finished! This test build is generally for people who support us above a certain tier, but I don't mind giving it out to everyone else here, after all the positive feedback we had, and the more people help us test, the faster I can fix everything! However, since this is going to be a test build, I will have to constantly update the game to fix issues, this means an update once every day or 2 days. Currently, we will only distribute the game on our Discord server, but I'm more than happy to constantly update this place as well, I just need someone to help me with it, since I have no clue how things work exactly. (sorry) Thank you for sticking with us as well! It means a lot!
Not an active uploader on here, but from what I've seen, usually somebody (you in this case) uploads the game to a file sharing service (usually Mega or AnonFile) and posts the link to that download here along with a message usually along the lines of "here is game." Eventually the front page is updated with extra download links, but that isn't your problem.

Hunterop6969

Apr 14, 2020
Your discord got hacked last time and you started sending out malicious links in all the channels so we might have removed you. I can't see your name on the banned list, so if you changed your name feel free to DM me and I'll add you to the server. My Discord name is in the latest public posts on both Subscribestar and Patreon.
I used Zero 3641 before

May 21, 2019
So we don't actually use Anonfiles or anything as we have our own Azure instances and servers where we host the files, since I set up some automation for the builds. It gets posted automatically to our website which is currently locked with a password, I can provide that?

Hunterop6969

Apr 14, 2020
So we don't actually use Anonfiles or anything as we have our own Azure instances and servers where we host the files, since I set up some automation for the builds. It gets posted automatically to our website which is currently locked with a password, I can provide that?
why dont put this link on yours site and put the link to the site here?

May 21, 2019
Here's the latest (2.0.2) Bugtest version. As the name suggests, it's not finished, but I'll be updating it every single day. I'll also provide a changelog that span from the initial 2.0.0 version to this 2.0.2 version.

The changelog:

Code:
-Fixed some of the enemies existing on the wrong layer, ignoring all lighting effects around them
-Fixed the rat worker on Backhalls trying to follow Amber even after she jumped down
-Fixed Amber not being able to attack the rat worker while inside the gas cloud, by removing the gas cloud
-Fixed the Pharmacist being able to push Amber inside the desk
-Fixed the menu not appearing after finishing the game and pressing escape
-Fixed the Rat worker and the Liz Chef not switching to their proper death animations, and instead looping forever on the falldown animations.
-Fixed an issue that allowed the player to keep the items they picked up if they returned to the main menu and started a new game
-Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when trying to re-load a save game in some cases
-Made the text prompt to continue or return to main menu much more visible and gave it a larger font, text will no longer run off the screen
-The advanced lights and texture pre-fetching is now enabled by default. If you upgrade, make sure to enable these options in the main menu, if your PC can handle it, as they will massively boost the visual appeal of the game. Pre-Fetch will make the initial load take a bit longer, but will make transitions from door to door almost instant
Have fun guys, if something is wrong, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it / change things!

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
Ok, since this was a test build I went in and tested some things.
1. Your attacks no longer stagger enemies so you're always open to getting counter attacked- maybe it's intentional?
2. Sometimes hearts keep floating in the air even after enemy is defeated.
3. Sometimes after the boss KOs and grabs you and you struggle out you still can't get up.
4. Some doorways can't be walked through, need to be jumped into.

May 21, 2019
Ok, since this was a test build I went in and tested some things.
1. Your attacks no longer stagger enemies so you're always open to getting counter attacked- maybe it's intentional?
2. Sometimes hearts keep floating in the air even after enemy is defeated.
3. Sometimes after the boss KOs and grabs you and you struggle out you still can't get up.
4. Some doorways can't be walked through, need to be jumped into.
The first one is actually intentional! For now, at least, we implemented a dodge system with the C button, as we got a lot of people tell us it was too easy to just spam attack on enemies and they can't hit you back, but we will be adding block at some point!

Second one is on me, I'll get to that soon!

Yep, another one I knew about, that one is thanks to my sloppy coding trying to get a build out as soon as possible. Don't do spaghetti kids!

Now the forth one is interesting, if it's not too much trouble, could you give me an example or even a screenshot of where this happened?

(on a side note, from some bug reports I noticed that the biggest Easter egg in the game is crashing it in the current version.... Aaaaa I'll fix that in like an hour)

Last edited:

J55555

Dec 31, 2019
Didn't have any problems with doors, but here's a couple things:
  • Jump height is very inconsistent, making some jumps rather difficult/annoying
  • Running out of stamina mid-air causes Amber to lock in that "recovering" animation and gently float down to the ground
  • Scattered issues with layering
    • The light of a particular candle to the left of the bar shines through the player
    • Some objects are set in front of the player when they clearly shouldn't be (I think I noticed this mainly with a couple of things on the walls)

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
The first one is actually intentional! For now, at least, we implemented a dodge system with the C button, as we got a lot of people tell us it was too easy to just spam attack on enemies and they can't hit you back, but we will be adding block at some point!

Second one is on me, I'll get to that soon!

Yep, another one I knew about, that one is thanks to my sloppy coding trying to get a build out as soon as possible. Don't do spaghetti kids!

Now the forth one is interesting, if it's not too much trouble, could you give me an example or even a screenshot of where this happened?

(on a side note, from some bug reports I noticed that the biggest Easter egg in the game is crashing it in the current version.... Aaaaa I'll fix that in like an hour)
Both doorways here for example. If I just hold right or left I won't be able to move further, same if crawling. Pretty sure it has something to do with movement speed, if I go at it at max walking speed or running it works fine, it only gets me stuck if I try to go at it slowly or crawl.

May 21, 2019
Here's the 2.0.3 version with some crash fixes and some small bits here and there.

Changelog:
Code:
-Fixed one of the Easter Eggs crashing the game
-Fixed a crash that occurred when pressing Z on the boss endgame screen
-Fixed inconsistent jumping heights, making a few jumps difficult, especially for players with low FPS
-Fixed a few layer issues where some assets would appear to be in front of Amber that shouldn’t be
-Fixed Amber slowly floating on the ground if she’s exhausted mid-air. Now she plops down at full speed
-Fixed a doorway with miss aligned collisions, no longer requiring the player to jump or run to go through it
-Fixed Amber being able to push her head through the ceiling in the backhalls
-Fixed hearts spawning over the enemies even after they died or got knocked out
-Added a failsafe in case an incorrect room name is entered for the loadmap command (I know some of you already found it :P)
Thank you guys for all the feedback!

3.70 star(s) 7 Votes