4.10 star(s) 45 Votes

tgrogan21

Jun 5, 2017
Was this whole exchange over the last hours a elaborate marketing scheme?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
haha Same here. I actually had the game previously on ignore because I'm not a huge fan of female protagonist games but with them being so open with everything, I wanted to support them for it. Who knows, this might be the best female protagonist game I've ever played.

• Red Heart
Reactions: yihman1

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
haha Same here. I actually had the game previously on ignore because I'm not a huge fan of female protagonist games but with them being so open with everything, I wanted to support them for it. Who knows, this might be the best female protagonist game I've ever played.
I actually played it before and it kinda is the best fem protag, cuz for a nice change of pace the protag got agency and is not hopping on every dick around, could do without all the vegan talk though.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
I actually played it before and it kinda is the best fem protag, cuz for a nice change of pace the protag got agency and is not hopping on every dick around, could do without all the vegan talk though.
This is subjective, and maybe you didn't play a lot of fem protag games, but it's not the best. I don't say it's bad, I like it and it's quite high on my list but there are clearly better games, for instance Jessica O'Neil's Hard News.

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
This is subjective, and maybe you didn't play a lot of fem protag games, but it's not the best. I don't say it's bad, I like it and it's quite high on my list but there are clearly better games, for instance Jessica O'Neil's Hard News.
True on the assumption that i don't play many fem protag games, might have to change that.

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Is this became female mc-s games discussion thread?
A strange turn of (advertising) events :unsure:

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
Is this became female mc-s games discussion thread?
A strange turn of (advertising) events :unsure:
People got bored talking about the stupidity of this dev and found something better to do it's been fun.

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
JOHN is a really good game, one of my favorites. It's never really fair to compare a new game to a fully established game. Stoper has been developing that game over 2 years longer than we have been developing ours. If you go back 6-7-8 updates on that game then it's a more fair comparison.

We should probably try to keep on topic though.

Primal Instinct was a fantastic game. I'm surprised it was abandoned. I'm also surprised that the dev made such an ultimatum. A lot of people didn't like the red head in this game, but I thought she was fun. It would have been NICE if their was a way to get some sort of threesome with her and the Asian girl. At least in a dream or something.

Last edited:

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
JOHN is a really good game, one of my favorites. It's never really fair to compare a new game to a fully established game. Stoper has been developing that game over 2 years longer than we have been developing ours. If you go back 6-7-8 updates on that game then it's a more fair comparison.

We should probably try to keep on topic though.

Primal Instinct was a fantastic game. I'm surprised it was abandoned. I'm also surprised that the dev made such an ultimatum. A lot of people didn't like the red head in this game, but I thought she was fun. It would have been NICE if their was a way to get some sort of threesome with her and the Asian girl. At least in a dream or something.
That's why your game can't be "the best", at most the best one have played.

On Primal Instinct: the renders, the staging and the dialogues were top notch. But the story had several flaws especially for an episodic release. Incest lovers weren't pleased (advertized but not realized *yet* -and never now), and there was the fear of NTR with the antagonist potentially stealing your newly wife

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
The entire concept of the main character being on a completely different continent to 95% of the female cast was pretty idiotic.
It makes sense for them to be away on vacation they are on their honeymoon after all. It's reasonable. I think that it could have worked rather well if it was only done temporarily. The problem was that the honey moon portion of the game was dragged out for too long. In 0.7 it's not even like "We gotta head back tomorrow...". So it would have dragged out even longer. If by around 0.4 or 0.5 it was time to head home from that honeymoon it would have worked out great at the pace it was going I figure they would probably have been on the island at least a few more updates.

At some point in there they needed to either

1) Have the mom / sister ect come to the island too

2) Leave the island

To me it would have been better if there almost no contact with the family characters after getting on the island. Those hugs goodbye at the start, and maybe a little video call one time would have been the right amount. However, they shift over to making them secondary protagonists follow them around get to know them and build them up.

It could have played out well eventually, and I think it would have had the game continued, but in an incomplete state it's left at an awkward phase.

Reactions: Hadgar

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
The main problem I see is that the Dev wanted to make enough money with this game so this would become his job but to achieve this he did create a game for a niche audience instead of a mainstream game.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: yihman1

Euron13

Apr 7, 2019
It makes sense for them to be away on vacation they are on their honeymoon after all. It's reasonable. I think that it could have worked rather well if it was only done temporarily. The problem was that the honey moon portion of the game was dragged out for too long. In 0.7 it's not even like "We gotta head back tomorrow...". So it would have dragged out even longer. If by around 0.4 or 0.5 it was time to head home from that honeymoon it would have worked out great at the pace it was going I figure they would probably have been on the island at least a few more updates.

At some point in there they needed to either

1) Have the mom / sister ect come to the island too

2) Leave the island

To me it would have been better if there almost no contact with the family characters after getting on the island. Those hugs goodbye at the start, and maybe a little video call one time would have been the right amount. However, they shift over to making them secondary protagonists follow them around get to know them and build them up.

It could have played out well eventually, and I think it would have had the game continued, but in an incomplete state it's left at an awkward phase.
I think it speaks to a bigger problem he had as a storyteller. He was far more focused on creating a mood and the pace of the story suffered because of it.

And I liked some of the side stories with the sisters/mother, there was some dramatic stuff there, but the story just did not move. And as a result the MC on the island started to lose agency.

Reactions: Lerd0
D

Deleted member 3306980

Sadly this is a bit of a common thing among some players it's one more excuse. Imagine using this logic elsewhere:

"I would never date a person who has broken up with someone."

"I would never hire a person who has quit a job."

"I would not support a big business that has ever closed a store."

"I would not support a small business if the owner of it ever had a previous unsuccessful business that closed."

Sometimes it makes the most sense to not throw good money after bad. That can be said of a developer stopping development of a doomed game, or of a potential donor not donating to a dev that has a history of abandonment.

Sometimes previous "abandoned projects" were for practice. Should new developers not share their work in case they decide to make a better game after they learn what they are doing in fear of not getting support?

Sometimes circumstances come up causing a person to need to stop a project.

There is a difference in 1 abandoned project and a long string of them. If someone has like 4 or 5 abandoned projects I can see not being on board for project 6. Not enough data points to establish a pattern with just a single abandonment.

It would make the most sense to support games you like if you can.

Building a game is a massive sacrifice in time, money, mental energy, research, social life ect. Making a game like primal instinct is a great effort. It's sad that the guy gets shit on because he did what was best for him.

So many sacrafices go in to making a game... Any time a game is abandoned I can 100% guarentee you the person most upset about is is the dev. It meant more to them than it did to even the most die hard fans.
Yep looks like another dev we shouldnt support. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me"

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
Yep looks like another dev we shouldnt support. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me"
guy.png

You don't sound like the kind of guy that supports any developers in the first place, more so a person who wants to control how others spend their money for some reason unclear.

There is a place for people like you...

Your new home. This is where your efforts are most needed sir. God speed, and good luck in your efforts at bringing down the milk machine.

• Haha
Reactions: DonkeyFace

zielony2

Dec 16, 2017
I mean his goal of the new project is way too high but lets be honest I hate capitalism and it will prob be the reason why the human race extinct in the long run but would you work for free?
Capitalism (in many not properly named forms) exist since exist civilizations, so you hate humankind except antihuman aberration, you like?

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
Capitalism (in many not properly named forms) exist since exist civilizations, so you hate humankind except antihuman aberration, you like?
all wrong you got that son...capital might you wanna to read again, if able you are such thing to do.
either way, lets not go overly to OT, the game/thread is dead/aboned, yet it still isnt a place to discuss politics and similar shit.

4.10 star(s) 45 Votes