Unreal Engine Project Extermination: Operation GroundZeroes [Phase 2 - 2023-07-16] [MATEYDEV]

4.40 star(s) 21 Votes

dusk2340

Oct 7, 2017
i cannot understate how excited playing this game made me feel, its just an alpha test build but i love what it has going for it so far, i do have some complaints but i can put them aside since they pretty much amount to alpha build jank

Nafraq

Jun 20, 2017
the mechanics and feel thus far are great, beside some minor gripes this is showing to have allot of potential and I'm glad that there seems to be a good focus on getting the basics and mechanics done prior the fun part.

I do hope that we get a better glimpse at the background story and the thought train on how to incorporate Hscenes. As mentioned before only getting it after a Fail/ knockdown will get tedious fast.

All in all though, loved the update with the quad (still wished you could store the drop on the quad somehow) and the exploration in the nature.
-edit- also the right click melee lock on and combat with it felt great btw !

Reactions: tomwilliams9911

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
I'm just hoping at some point the hscenes aren't just after getting knocked down and taken to another location.
Yep, in Phase 3

I just modified config file to make the game running at 4k,now it looks much clearer,and TAA works normally in 4k.Frame rate is not much different from 2k.
What I said about optimization is that the game doesn't have much content right now,in future as more content being added, the performance consumption will also increase,and not everyone have powerful PC.
One last thing,after playing this demo,I wonder this game can be built into Death-Stranding-like,you know,deliver packages and fight/f**k monsters sounds pretty good:D
I think that the engine rendered the game in 4k but something within the output didn't put up the proper resolution displayed: I have a 2K monitor and if I run it with borderless - default it is native 2K without issues...also with a 3080 at 2K I'm stable around 80/100fps at high settings with far at ultra quality, taking in account that the target is 60fps I believe there is enough performance room to move to buildings...
The game will have that "death stranding vibe" as that game is one inspiration, along side mgs, the division, dead space and callisto protocol...consider that you already have a mission where you have to recover and deliver supplies ;)

Regarding the issue with AMD, apparently RDNA2 /3 doesn't like the DX11 RVT component of Unreal 4.x...moving the game to Directx 12 make it work on the new AMD cards...but RVT is not compatible with that API (apparently) and crashes the game for all when activated...since RVT is the component that "hides" grass at a certain distance or near certain objects, it is essential from a both a performance and world polish standpoints...so the issue has been identified...but it's not looking so good since Epic basically cut support for Unreal 4 and that component is pretty necessary...Matto is searching for a solution...

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
Zazazap , thanks for the feedback in your review, to equip a weapon open the inventory (esc - inventory) and equip both the pistol and the baton with " Q ", you'll then be able to draw them with " F " outside the safe zone.
Read "how to control" for further keybindings.

FilthyWeaboo

Sep 11, 2021
I expected the demo to run horribly after the update but this is one of the few in-development Unreal games on this site that doesn't run like trash. I'm still going to wait for more lewd content than just teleporting to a room for a boink session and either an in-game goal or gameplay loop of some kind before I get my hopes up, but the groundwork is pretty good so far.

Zazazap

May 22, 2018
Zazazap , thanks for the feedback in your review, to equip a weapon open the inventory (esc - inventory) and equip both the pistol and the baton with " Q ", you'll then be able to draw them with " F " outside the safe zone.
Read "how to control" for further keybindings.
Hello, thank you for your answer, I must have missed the "how to control" section, where is it located ?

[EDIT] Ok, figured the weapon thing, makes sense, but could be nice to add a prompt when players try using their weapon in a safe zone. Something simple like "Cannot use weapons in safe zone"

[EDIT2] I can't reproduce falling from the small ledge, maybe it was a bug ? I tried going down from the ledge just near the start and fell flat on my face. Then the view started getting blurry and dark...

Last edited:

Alket

Game Developer
Nov 15, 2017
it's a text file
Hello, thank you for your answer, I must have missed the "how to control" section, where is it located ?
oh, it's just text file in the root folder: 1683362702537.png

...the UI is still wip...

mugijos95

Jun 7, 2020
Okay not sure how much needed low-end hardware is, but here my feedback in case it's usefull somehow Alket
System specs:
i5-10300H (Laptop)
GTX1650 4Gb VRAM + iGPU 4GB VRAM
runing on M.2
24 Gb RAM (mismatch btw)

Game settings be mostly a combination of high and medium with only blur and fog disabled
At base ~mid 40's fps
open world ~45 fps
cave alone ~40 fps
cave + multiple enemies as down ~30 to mid 30's fps

All and all it's pretty stable and fine on this low-end machine for a test build, not sure about how much you can squish performance further, but knowing I went the "quality over performance" (mostly) route, I guess is fine.

Now I pushed things around an I managed to break alot of things so I'll explain in two categories "funny" and "mayor"

Funny:
- At cave while crouching and going down from a rock the girl just ragdoll to the ground (not taking dmg but still leaving me in the ragdoll animation)
- At cave while runing towards a rock taller than the girl and then quick turn to aim, sometimes would simply go up the rock essentially an unintentional climb, not sure if intended but seen enemies do the same, but pretty much unable to climb "normal"

Mayor:
-The UI of the menu (Esc key) will very often be unreadeaable if overlaps the horizon, and same as already reported visual glitches worsenign the situation (the one mentioned by FTFaceless)
-After a while of playing I let myself get grabbed and sent to the "rape room" (and afk-ed for a few mins leaving it playing a bit while looking meesages on my phone), and when I came back to the pc, ended the scene and went back to my gears and I couldn't equip the gears back, after stashing them in and then out I re-equiped, bought a med pack from the shop and then the quick swap (F key) didn't work anymore, only the Q menu. after trying to replicate the same steps, I got similar results, but this time Esc menu didn't open again.
-After runing over some enemies with the quad, the ones droped items didn't give the prompt to pick, effectively not being able to pick stuff up (this was after the previous point with the F key btw)

Note: Have in mind I went in a mindset of "stress test", actively playing it as a sandbox and not exactly a serious tactical game.

Meondrie

May 20, 2019
Ok, I gave this a try and I am now stuck in the rape room. WTF is 'Ent'? I literally tried every single key on my keyboard and nothing worked except F key for switching the view. I would very much like to get someone's answer on how the hell is a player supposed to get out of that room?
1683389882383.png

Iambob

Oct 9, 2017
This game has great potential, but I don't know why the previous game was abandoned

:cautious:
The developer's hard drive got nuked and had no backup. So start a new game

I don't know how much you followed the discussions up until now but the reason is always the same, so I'm gonna repeat myself: while changing direction in development is part of the cicle, you can see a lot of AAA projects that have done this (Callisto Protocol, for example, was supposed to be a spin off of PUBG at some point), in this case is slightly different, the first, Project Unknown is on hold due to budget limitations, while Project Elimination was nuked in an HDD explosion, this one is the third iteration that builds upon the mistakes and the Dev himself has learned a lot, improving his work (and it frankly shows). So yeah, in 2 years and some he has produced 3 playable demos, this one is the one being worked on...that's development and developing a 3D game of this scope is not easy, the road is bumpy, let's all support him to shape this project into a proper game.

FilthyWeaboo

Sep 11, 2021
That's really unfortunate, every one the developers make is quite good
Yeah, the Project Elimination was solid and I was really bummed out to see the abandoned tag on Project Unknown, a game like that in a cramped space ship with those things lurking around trying to find you was something really unique to most lewd games, as much as I'm glad to see the dev is working on something I prefer the original project design over the open world design of this newer project.

Reactions: MoreNow
4.40 star(s) 21 Votes