MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I think having potential failure points makes it more like a point and click adventure game than just an interactive novel.
I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid and I can see the appeal of making a game like that. However having a built in "go back to your decision" (just like the books would say "Turn back to page X and choose again") would be a better implementation. That said it feels like a waste of rendering/development time to create dead ends in a visual novel.

Does it? All it does is make the player to save before any choice so you can load back to the said choice. Having no game over screens is just a huge quality of life improvement.
Yep! I save before decisions so much in games because one wrong decision and you are quickly back at the title screen.

Brovalon

Jan 11, 2020
I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid and I can see the appeal of making a game like that. However having a built in "go back to your decision" (just like the books would say "Turn back to page X and choose again") would be a better implementation. That said it feels like a waste of rendering/development time to create dead ends in a visual novel.

Yep! I save before decisions so much in games because one wrong decision and you are quickly back at the title screen.
I just save like a lunatic - whenever I like a render it's middle mouse button, right click, save slot, right click, back to game. I've gotten really quick with it now, but that also means with long games filled with lots of nice renders, I get around 50 pages of saves - and that makes finding things a real pain.

Just... I don't know why I am this way, but it's how I am.

Zerek244

Aug 30, 2020
I just save like a lunatic - whenever I like a render it's middle mouse button, right click, save slot, right click, back to game. I've gotten really quick with it now, but that also means with long games filled with lots of nice renders, I get around 50 pages of saves - and that makes finding things a real pain.

Just... I don't know why I am this way, but it's how I am.

I also save way too much. Sure, I try to keep 2 saves of the exact same thing going on on top of each other, like save slots 1 and 4, and Ill slap some extras in slots 3 and 6 if needed. If I feel the choice will make a huge impact. I rarely play any other playthroughs, since in my head the one Im going for the first time I play, is the canon one to me.

MrFriendly can you PM me? I see you are a prominent member of the community and I want to ask a few questions/ get clarification.

Last edited:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I also save way too much. Sure, I try to keep 2 saves of the exact same thing going on on top of each other, like save slots 1 and 4, and Ill slap some extras in slots 3 and 6 if needed. If I feel the choice will make a huge impact. I rarely play any other playthroughs, since in my head the one Im going for the first time I play, is the canon one to me.

MrFriendly can you PM me? I see you are a prominent member of the community and I want to ask a few questions/ get clarification.
I save a lot but not nearly as much as it seems you and others do.

Messaged you but be warned I am mostly just a prominent coffee slurping grouch.

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
It'd be a single option choice, "Pick up the soap, MC." :KEK:
For those who are Chevy Chase fans - I'm reminded of the scene in Fletch when he is thrown into a jail in the deep south (U.S.). His cellmate is a very large redneck who simply says "Bend over." Chevy Chase responds by holding out his hand and says: 'Hi Ben, nice to meet you.'

M i L

Mar 15, 2019
For those who are Chevy Chase fans - I'm reminded of the scene in Fletch when he is thrown into a jail in the deep south (U.S.). His cellmate is a very large redneck who simply says "Bend over." Chevy Chase responds by holding out his hand and says: 'Hi Ben, nice to meet you.'
hahahahaha i MUST wathc this movie now

LSC82

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah, don't really understand the point of having a game where you allow the player to make choices and then offer a choice that goes to a "game over" screen.
I tell you what, in VNs with backtracking (most of them) i do enjoy making an obvious grotesque wrong choice and backtracking out of it.
So if a game offers an obviously too early "grab'em by the pussy" option i take it, see the render, the characters reaction and just go back/quickload.
Just a little fun and an extra render lol.

4.30 star(s) 271 Votes