DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
I honnestly tell people to start from VI if they want to learn more about the lore before playing Sengoku. I never feel the motivation to finish 5d so I wonder if this could not make people stop playing the serie just because 5d is really inferior to the next generation of game in so many points.
I rec 5D because there is a clear idea going there and properly introduces Rizna and several other lore bits that appear in VI and Sengoku. It isn't really long enough to be considered a full fledged game in the Rance series and is best viewed as the introduction chapter to VI since Rizna gets a lot more development there and a lot of great payoffs in her character arc, but is introduced in 5D. I didn't feel VI offered enough of giving the player ideas of where Rizna came from so I am glad I played 5D to completion to get the an enhanced experience to her character since she is the primary focus in 5D along with a few small scenes that payoff later in VI, Sengoku and from what I hear even later. Honestly when I first picked up 5D I was bullshitting with the gameplay and only somewhat understood it and only had a game over due to running out of time once near the end. It wasn't until late game I looked up MangaGamer's blogs they did on how to play 5D and even by that point I didn't bother capturing any gal monsters and was fine and took like 4 hours max. If you want the true ending in VI its easily 50-60+ hours of grinding unless you use cheat engine and get rid of the bullshit orbs so you can do all the required stuff after the main story and tie up loose ends. VI is very linear and to the point, while Sengoku feels a bit more open to its structure and playtime for main story really depends on if you actually take care of your units even a bit since the game will be easy on you in the first run of the main campaign and usually it doesn't take as long to finish as VI at least for me if we aren't counting the alternate routes which can only be done after doing the main story one time. And 5D is little investment and doesn't feel like much of a commitment since it is a companion piece to a larger story coming in VI.

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
tbh you dont even need to play anything before sengoku to get the story, the only benefit would be getting some references on the extra commanders you can summon for sat

Amansas

Apr 17, 2018
It isn't that Rance 7(Sengoku Rance) is so much more awesome, that is up to opinion, it is moreso the fact many people started with that from the fan translation from many years ago on top of the fact is a much easier starting point to get into the other games. Also, when MangaGamer released Sengoku, the programmer on it was able to make the file size much smaller while making it run even smoother. I prefer telling people to either start with Sengoku even though now it isn't the only good starting point, or starting with 5D then going to VI. Since 5D is pretty much an introduction for VI as well as the "new" line of Rance games plus you can beat 5D in a day pretty easily so it won't take much of your time.
hmm... i see, well thanks, now lemme start this great game at long last then!

NSoull

Mar 2, 2017
B
hmm... i see, well thanks, now lemme start this great game at long last then!
Bear in mind, this game was not meant for you to beat 100% in a single playthrough. Whenever you end a run, you gain points based on how you performed, and you use those points to buy bonuses for your next playthrough, that makes you able to start the game stronger and pursue different paths or character completions.

So if you feel like your first run it too hard or that you can do everything you want to do, dont feel too down on yourself.

Lorithas-Kun

May 2, 2018
So, I have a few questions that I would really appreciate answers to (hopefully in the affirmative, but, while I would be sad, I would still appreciate knowing if it were in the negative).

1. Does anyone know of a reliable and safe way to get the original Rance 2? Preferably without going to any obscure or non-English sites, since I can't read any other languages (sadly)
2. Does anyone know of a way to play Rance 4.1-4.2 if you aren't on a 32bit OS without creating a virtual machine (since I don't know how to do that, and would like to potentially play them in the near future, rather than at the end of what I would imagine to be a rather lengthy and perhaps unsafe for my PC process of learning how to do that whole thing)?
Oh, and 3. What is "INMM238"?

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
So, I have a few questions that I would really appreciate answers to (hopefully in the affirmative, but, while I would be sad, I would still appreciate knowing if it were in the negative).

1. Does anyone know of a reliable and safe way to get the original Rance 2? Preferably without going to any obscure or non-English sites, since I can't read any other languages (sadly)
2. Does anyone know of a way to play Rance 4.1-4.2 if you aren't on a 32bit OS without creating a virtual machine (since I don't know how to do that, and would like to potentially play them in the near future, rather than at the end of what I would imagine to be a rather lengthy and perhaps unsafe for my PC process of learning how to do that whole thing)?
Oh, and 3. What is "INMM238"?
1. is the original Rance II translated titled, "Rance II [ENG]."
2. Rottenblock on the Alicesoft wiki so they can be played without a virtual machine.
3. Don't remember what it is entirely, I think its a sort of wrapper to help older Alicesoft games and many other games run in general could be entirely off base though.

Lorithas-Kun

May 2, 2018
1. Here is the original Rance II translated titled, "Rance II [ENG]."
2. Rottenblock on the Alicesoft wiki so they can be played without a virtual machine.
3. Don't remember what it is entirely, I think its a sort of wrapper to help older Alicesoft games and many other games run in general could be entirely off base though.
Thank you many times over. I wasn't even sure I would get a response, and never expected one so quickly (and covered everything too, holy $h*!), it is very much appreciated.

Edit: Okay, so...A niggling little worry has just arisen after having read that wiki page (and then checked the downloads on page one of this...um...Forum? (I am unsure what to call this collection of pages of posts dedicated to the Rance collection. Possibly because I'm approaching lightly sleep deprived). The wiki page specifically calls out 32-bit, which to my practically nonexistent knowledge is how the downloads on the front page are set up too, on top of that, the ones on the front page are slightly larger (Mind you, I don't actually know what that really means, seeing as they're all .zip files, so the ones from the wiki could just be better compressed for all I know, it just sets off my anxiety). To potentially clarify a thing, I'm running windows 8, to my (practically nonexistent), a 64-bit OS, with the front page calling out the need for a 32-bit OS, and I just don't know and I'm having a mild anxiety attack because of it, because my brain sucks, and instead of just downloading the things and trying them out, I have to have a fucking episode. I'm sorry (genuinely), but could you tell me...well, basically anything? I just need my brain to stop freaking out right now. I also really did not expect this edit to end up this long, so once again: I'm sorry.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
Any idea how to get CG #74 in Sengoku Rance? It's the Shimazu brothers x Agireda one.

Btw, here's my updated save, 212 points if anyone wants it-

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you many times over. I wasn't even sure I would get a response, and never expected one so quickly (and covered everything too, holy $h*!), it is very much appreciated.

Edit: Okay, so...A niggling little worry has just arisen after having read that wiki page (and then checked the downloads on page one of this...um...Forum? (I am unsure what to call this collection of pages of posts dedicated to the Rance collection. Possibly because I'm approaching lightly sleep deprived). The wiki page specifically calls out 32-bit, which to my practically nonexistent knowledge is how the downloads on the front page are set up too, on top of that, the ones on the front page are slightly larger (Mind you, I don't actually know what that really means, seeing as they're all .zip files, so the ones from the wiki could just be better compressed for all I know, it just sets off my anxiety). To potentially clarify a thing, I'm running windows 8, to my (practically nonexistent), a 64-bit OS, with the front page calling out the need for a 32-bit OS, and I just don't know and I'm having a mild anxiety attack because of it, because my brain sucks, and instead of just downloading the things and trying them out, I have to have a fucking episode. I'm sorry (genuinely), but could you tell me...well, basically anything? I just need my brain to stop freaking out right now. I also really did not expect this edit to end up this long, so once again: I'm sorry.
I am running Windows 10 64 bit. The ones on the front page of this thread are the original versions that need a virtual machine to use which is why they prompt for a 32 bit OS. Since RottenBlock ported them to be 32-bit applications, his versions run fine on modern computers. The version I linked works fine on my OS with no tweaking just unzipping then running with my locale emulator and works fine instead of having to setup a virtual machine everytime I want to run 4.1 or 4.2. When RottenBlock says 32 bit application, he is talking about the components of the game's applications and not whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit unlike the front page which is prompting for a 32 bit OS which is why it will likely require a virtual machine to work for most users. Pretty much ignore the versions on the front page since they will require tweaking which is no longer needed and use RottenBlocks latest versions of his ports for 4.1 and 4.2 especially since they include the option to control your party members which was not available in the old version that requires a virtual machine.

Lorithas-Kun

May 2, 2018
I am running Windows 10 64 bit. The ones on the front page of this thread are the original versions that need a virtual machine to use which is why they prompt for a 32 bit OS. Since RottenBlock ported them to be 32-bit applications, his versions run fine on modern computers. The version I linked works fine on my OS with no tweaking just unzipping then running with my locale emulator and works fine instead of having to setup a virtual machine everytime I want to run 4.1 or 4.2. When RottenBlock says 32 bit application, he is talking about the components of the game's applications and not whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit unlike the front page which is prompting for a 32 bit OS which is why it will likely require a virtual machine to work for most users. Pretty much ignore the versions on the front page since they will require tweaking which is no longer needed and use RottenBlocks latest versions of his ports for 4.1 and 4.2 especially since they include the option to control your party members which was not available in the old version that requires a virtual machine.
So, I was going to talk like a dipshit while thanking you, before clarifying that I am serious, but then my brian said "Bitch, get to bed", so I'm going to have to go the normal route. I was fucked in the head with worry, now I'm not, and for that, I thank you.

Reactions: DuckDairyDip

MoistMeal

Aug 4, 2020
Should I play through them all? or should I just skip to a certain one for the quickest and enjoyable experience?

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Should I play through them all? or should I just skip to a certain one for the quickest and enjoyable experience?
If you are questioning it I do not recommend starting with the older games or even their remakes. I say start out with Sengoku Rance. Its the best starting point if you don't have any previous background. Plus there is enough gameplay and mechanics to sink your teeth into. The story isn't as expansive or massive as other Rance games, but the way it tells the story and sets up character arcs makes it easier to digest. Sengoku is also Rance VII, so after it you can do whatever but I suggest two different routes. The first option I say is play 5D then VI. 5D is the start of the new main Rance timeline where they start using ideas from Kichikuou Rance and expand on those original ideas. Kichikuou Rance was a game where they didn't know if they would be able to get to all their ideas so threw it all into a single game. But when they were able to return to it, Rance 5D, VI, Sengoku, Quest+Magnum Expansion, IX and X are pretty much them fleshing out those ideas. 5D uses RNG to progress the story and for the battle sequences, but is pretty short, shouldn't take more than maybe 5 hours and is essentially a prologue to Rance VI which is a much longer and more expansive game as its a first person dungeon crawler with a story with a very big scope. Then after that you can decide to go backwards and play the old timeline games or not. The second option would be to go back and play the games in order. Thus, Rance I, Rance II(Not play the remake that was somewhat translated), Rance III, Rance IV, Rance 4.1 then Rance 4.2 and ending it with Kichikuou Rance. This will give you a general idea of the old Rance timeline and also gives you preperation to possibly play Kichikuou Rance which is a culimination of what came before and their plans afterwards. Then you could move onto 5D and VI since you might have already played Sengoku as your first entry. The remakes and the originals have enough different where I think its worthwhile to play the originals then play the remakes later as the remakes tie into the later new timeline games more, but also so you can appreciate how they handled the remakes. For Rance I and Rance II, if you don't feel like dealing with the old adventure game design of the times, you can instead opt for Rance I Digest and Rance II Digest which are essentially straight visual novel retellings of the events of Rance I and Rance II with no choices or gameplay just text.

Reactions: MoistMeal

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
Sengoku Rance is a good start because it's pretty well self contained. It has some characters and call-backs to events from previous games but for the most part it's its own game.

pcportable

Aug 4, 2017
If you are questioning it I do not recommend starting with the older games or even their remakes. I say start out with Sengoku Rance. Its the best starting point if you don't have any previous background. Plus there is enough gameplay and mechanics to sink your teeth into. The story isn't as expansive or massive as other Rance games, but the way it tells the story and sets up character arcs makes it easier to digest. Sengoku is also Rance VII, so after it you can do whatever but I suggest two different routes. The first option I say is play 5D then VI. 5D is the start of the new main Rance timeline where they start using ideas from Kichikuou Rance and expand on those original ideas. Kichikuou Rance was a game where they didn't know if they would be able to get to all their ideas so threw it all into a single game. But when they were able to return to it, Rance 5D, VI, Sengoku, Quest+Magnum Expansion, IX and X are pretty much them fleshing out those ideas. 5D uses RNG to progress the story and for the battle sequences, but is pretty short, shouldn't take more than maybe 5 hours and is essentially a prologue to Rance VI which is a much longer and more expansive game as its a first person dungeon crawler with a story with a very big scope. Then after that you can decide to go backwards and play the old timeline games or not. The second option would be to go back and play the games in order. Thus, Rance I, Rance II(Not play the remake that was somewhat translated), Rance III, Rance IV, Rance 4.1 then Rance 4.2 and ending it with Kichikuou Rance. This will give you a general idea of the old Rance timeline and also gives you preperation to possibly play Kichikuou Rance which is a culimination of what came before and their plans afterwards. Then you could move onto 5D and VI since you might have already played Sengoku as your first entry. The remakes and the originals have enough different where I think its worthwhile to play the originals then play the remakes later as the remakes tie into the later new timeline games more, but also so you can appreciate how they handled the remakes. For Rance I and Rance II, if you don't feel like dealing with the old adventure game design of the times, you can instead opt for Rance I Digest and Rance II Digest which are essentially straight visual novel retellings of the events of Rance I and Rance II with no choices or gameplay just text.
I played rance I and II digest recently and they are quitte nice to read. I think that they should be added in the download option in this thread.

Reize12

Mar 8, 2019
Hello, does anyone know if there is a patch for Rance VI that changes the names of some of the characters? Like Archfiend to Demon King? I've heard one exists but I cannot find it.

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes