DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
what do you guys recommend I start with? I thought ill go with the first but the 90s graphics looks so old. I heard they remade it but I cant find the link for that. also any walkthrough links will be helpful
They are remade but not translated in English yet, MangaGamer said the remakes Rance 01 and 02 are out of beta but they are not out yet but likely by the end of the year. MangaGamer has not announced yet if they are doing the Rance 03 remake so that has yet to be confirmed. And there is no remake yet for Rance IV, Rance 4.1 and 4.2 and of note, 4.1 and 4.2 aren't directly related to Rance IV, they are just smaller mainline titles. If you are put off with the older look and style, start with Sengoku Rance.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
thanks.Im not missing too much of the story ,right?
Rance isn't a series you really need to play in order with some exceptions. Sengoku is considered the best starting point since you won't be missing much of the overall narrative of the series, and it gives enough hints of previous events without really spoiling anything too much. After Sengoku if you really can't stand the old games and the translations aren't out yet for Rance 01 and 02, I say play Rance 5D then VI so you are caught up with the newer Rance timeline of what is translated and thus have a complete understanding of the newer mainline titles thus far in English. You could play 5D then VI then Sengoku if you want to play the new timeline games in order, but usually Sengoku is suggested over 5D since 5D has little actual gameplay and progression is RNG based by dice rolls. Granted 5D is short and is essentially an introduction chapter to VI and the new timeline as a whole so no matter what I usually suggest it before playing VI if you don't mind the RNG.

loverperson

Jan 30, 2020
in sengoku, the game starts off with a bunch of characters including nobunaga who seem to have appeared in previous titles.Then im thrown into combat with no explanations.It seems to be assuming that you have played the other games which I havent.I dont see how it is a good starting point. I have no idea how battles work.Am i missing something?

RoyalZel

Feb 22, 2019
in sengoku, the game starts off with a bunch of characters including nobunaga who seem to have appeared in previous titles.Then im thrown into combat with no explanations.It seems to be assuming that you have played the other games which I havent.I dont see how it is a good starting point. I have no idea how battles work.Am i missing something?
Nobunaga only appears in Sengoku and hasn't appeared in any of the previous games. Nearly the characters you meet in Sengoku have not appeared in any of the previous games. The only major characters that have appeared in previous games is Chaos(the talking sword that Rance wields), and the 7 total reinforcements you can get from another country(It is one of the satisfaction bonues that gets raised whenever Rance has sex. And of the 7, 1 of them is a NG+ only bonus) And those characters play an almost non-existent role in the story outside of their own character episodes. You could go an entire playthrough without ever recruiting them and it wouldn't affect the story. This is why Sengoku Rance is often one of the games people recommend to start with, because it the narrative is stand-alone enough that newcomers won't be completely lost on the overall story, and the few references and characters from the past games are more of a bonus than anything(as well more lewd sex scenes)

As for the gameplay, this I guess can be considered a flaw for newcomers(or a plus depending on who you are) as there is no tutorial to ease them in and the game pretty much does toss you into things and has you figuring things out on your own. Each game in the series has different gameplay and combat mechanics, so even with experience of playing past titles, you would still have to be figuring things out your own. If you're really lost, I would recommend checking out the and it'll give you a rundown on how the game works, the flow of combat, and the other mechanics.

NSoull

Mar 2, 2017
GOD, where is the next one

where is Rance Quest in English, I am so tired of waiting. ::whiiiiiiine::

Reize12

Mar 8, 2019
I could be wrong but pretty sure no one made patches for 5D or Sengoku. The terms don't come up much in 5D, but surely surprised about Sengoku since a huge criticism towards Mangagamer's release despite the upsides, is the terminology used and some translation choices. If you aren't aware, for Rance VI I also recommend Rottenblock's patch that fixes several issues with the game that you can read about and download and the DLC character patch for Takega Satsu here.
Unfortunately you can't run the name patch and rottenblocks patch at the same time. I tried swapping between the two on the same save and it didn't seem to cause any issues.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Unfortunately you can't run the name patch and rottenblocks patch at the same time. I tried swapping between the two on the same save and it didn't seem to cause any issues.
I thought it was possible guess not which is unfortunate. I would probably just recommend Rottenblocks patch then due to many gameplay improvements since VI thus far is the only one with a name patch and thus no guarantee the other 5 planned released will have name patches to have consistency though many prefer the old fan translation terms.

Rosen King

Engaged Member
May 29, 2019
in sengoku, the game starts off with a bunch of characters including nobunaga who seem to have appeared in previous titles.
I haven't played any games in this series yet, but if the game acts like you're supposed to know who Nobunaga is, that's probably because he's He was a warlord who conquered all of Japan and turned it into the single country we know today.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
rance 02 is out before 01? weird..
It was for the 2010 sort of anniversary thing. It was pretty half assed which is why it was later updated with gameplay and writing additions aside from just puting the script in a nicer coat of paint. And what led to them actually trying with 01 and 03 remakes.

UmaruUMR

Oct 21, 2019
i dunno if im tripping but i think i see some game not even 10mb bruh wth is the link broken?

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes