pcportable

Aug 4, 2017
Rance 01 straight up doesn't work. I hit the first combat sequence and the game automatically starts a scene rewind that can't be cancelled, so I'm stuck on the first minute of the game with no ability to progress. Also I'm apparently the only one who has this issue, so that's cool.

Actually happens anytime something becomes interactable outside the textbox, including Alice's Mansion.
Are you on a pc ?
My game work just fine for me. I used the torrent one.

Thought Rance 2 already had a remake in the thread, in fact I've played it

What's different in the new version? Widescreen support (can't remember if the remake had it)? I get that the kai version is supposedly a different script.

Maybe the non kai version is the same I've played, but the files have different sizes, probably because the new version posted comes packed in a installer
kai version consist as someone stated it some change in the text in 02 and also some gameplay change.
in comparison to the old version this version should have a better translation I guess.

Is there a walkthrough for Rance 1 and 2 remakes?
Yes on the rance wiki.

Not sure if I can ask this here but I'm kinda stuck in Rance 01. I can't get through the prison because of the alarm traps and the guide in the wiki says I'm supposed to bypass them with some boots that I can buy from Patty, but she's not selling them.
This even is optional but I just had to talk to here one time before I was able to buy her the boot.
If you are stuck you can follow the guide that I linked in my previous message.

dartred

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
huh, i haven't played every rance game, so i didn't know Sil had that tentacle scene. is she raped in any game or was groping as far as it went with her?

they had a chance with rance 9 and 10 with all the NTR bad ends, but they skipped the main girl.

dorbam

Apr 6, 2020
all of these are translated to english? I had a lot of problems regarding japanese language when trying to play rance games

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
all of these are translated to english? I had a lot of problems regarding japanese language when trying to play rance games
Rance I got translated in 2010, Rance II got translated earlier this year, the remake Rance 02 got translated in 2011, official translations of remakes of Rance 01 and Rance 02(including the kai update) came out two days ago. Rance III got translated in 2013, and Rance IV, 4.1, 4.2 and Kichikuou Rance got translated in 2014. The official translations of Rance 5D and VI got translated in 2017. Sengoku Rance got translated in 2009 then got an official translation in 2019. Still waiting on translations of the remake Rance 03, Rance Quest with the Magnum expansion, Rance IX and Rance X.

Reactions: Muff Diver

Crazy4Oreos

Apr 14, 2020
How're the 01 and 02 translations for anyone who's played them? Are they faithful to terminology or did stuff get changed around? Did they try their hardest to localize vs assuming that if we're playing an alicesoft game we're at least a bit familiar with the medium? I remember reading some translator for Mangagamer believes it's right to completely* localize a game so as to make it understandable for non weebs

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
How're the 01 and 02 translations for anyone who's played them? Are they faithful to terminology or did stuff get changed around? Did they try their hardest to localize vs assuming that if we're playing an alicesoft game we're at least a bit familiar with the medium? I remember reading some translator for Mangagamer believes it's right to completely* localize a game so as to make it understandable for non weebs
Due to consistency there will be some terms like Archfiend and Jill that were used in previous MangaGamer releases that must be kept due to Arunaru using these terms before he stopped working for MangaGamer, but now the other translators must keep these terms. So many fans may have issues with them especially if they prefer the terms in the fan translations like Dark Lords, Fiends and Gele. I think the new terms are fine, but as the "Archfiends" and such are explored more it will get more complicated and in some respect there can be an argument for Jill vs Gele. 01 and 02/kai were done by tulipgoddess(5D, Quest, III, IV, 4.1, 4.2) who is much more meticulous in her translations compared to Arunaru(official Sengoku, Kichikuou, VI, IX). Arunaru was known for his speed and thus great sloppiness which makes it even harder on the editors and such many issues may fall through the cracks. For 01 and 02 they are much smaller games compared to the other modern titles since they are remakes so things are much more tight and to the point. Tulipgoddess doesn't seem to take the same approach as Arunaru in terms of speed so in 01 and 02 and even 5D(granted they are all three pretty short) it never came off as though the editors had a hard time dealing with her many mistakes. Aside from a few typos here or there I think the translations for 01 and 02 are very solid. I don't know what you mean by, "Did they try their hardest to localize vs assuming that if we're playing an alicesoft game we're at least a bit familiar with the medium?", but considering these are remakes of the very first two games, the story itself doesn't rely on a lot of worldbuilding or even a solid story structure or narrative for that matter for most of it. Also, I'd make the argument that in some ways translation is inherently an aspect of localization. Now, how they go about localization is a different matter.

Reactions: qween and BlinkA1

Crazy4Oreos

Apr 14, 2020
On fully localizing I more meant replacing japanese culture with western culture or ramen with chicken soup kinda things haha. Yeah, I have disdain for Arunaru's changing of terminology so I was hoping that would end with him :/

Crazy4Oreos

Apr 14, 2020
I wonder how hard it would be to go in and manually change every instance of archfiend and such for a fan patch

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
On fully localizing I more meant replacing japanese culture with western culture or ramen with chicken soup kinda things haha. Yeah, I have disdain for Arunaru's changing of terminology so I was hoping that would end with him :/
Yeah, I don't think there is any of that here as far as I know for 01 and 02. Do you know if any of the other previous MangaGamer releases did that? I do not think so, but there may be an argument for some stuff in Sengoku and maybe VI(which both happen to be Arunaru translations).
I wonder how hard it would be to go in and manually change every instance of archfiend and such for a fan patch
The only game I believe had a patch for different terms was VI. And if you use that patch it is not compatible with other patches that actually improve QoL elements and such. Considering we have five Rance games released, another soon on the way in the coming months with two in translation and another(03) likely coming at some point, its hard to justify doing a fan patch unless you are really dedicated to do one for every game(Unless of course you have no plans to release the patch). There would be a distinct lack of consistency if only done for a few titles which may cause confusion for some if it gets to the point where people recommend newcomers to use the terminology patches. 01 and 02 are short so it may be easier, and even the VI patch isn't perfect. Then it begs the question if someone does do it for maybe some of the games, will they do it for Rance X which is massive. Who knows, maybe someone will be dedicated enough to do it.

pcportable

Aug 4, 2017
I am not sure it has to be that hard. I may be understimate the task. I honnestly plan to try making one just to change the Jill to Gele which pain me the most.
I mean you need to extract the text. If the script consist of only one file, just a ctrl f, otherwise make a program to search into every file. Change the mistake. It is the same number of letter so it should not create a lot of change. Compile it then put it back and replace the original one.

I guess 01 is kinda ok considering that there is few mention of Gele but clearly 03 need one.

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
I am not sure it has to be that hard. I may be understimate the task. I honnestly plan to try making one just to change the Jill to Gele which pain me the most.
I mean you need to extract the text. If the script consist of only one file, just a ctrl f, otherwise make a program to search into every file. Change the mistake. It is the same number of letter so it should not create a lot of change. Compile it then put it back and replace the original one.

I guess 01 is kinda ok considering that there is few mention of Gele but clearly 03 need one.
I think the biggest issue primarily in the other modern games would be to find and change every case where "Archfiend" or "Jill" for example may be typed or spelled different for situational purposes. But, probably wouldn't be too hard for 01 and 02.

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
Trying to play Sengoku Rance on Linux via wine (using ja_JP locale) but I get an error saying "Failed to read INI file [ System40.ini ]". Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

dorbam

Apr 6, 2020
Rance I got translated in 2010, Rance II got translated earlier this year, the remake Rance 02 got translated in 2011, official translations of remakes of Rance 01 and Rance 02(including the kai update) came out two days ago. Rance III got translated in 2013, and Rance IV, 4.1, 4.2 and Kichikuou Rance got translated in 2014. The official translations of Rance 5D and VI got translated in 2017. Sengoku Rance got translated in 2009 then got an official translation in 2019. Still waiting on translations of the remake Rance 03, Rance Quest with the Magnum expansion, Rance IX and Rance X.
don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it seems to me that you like Rance

thanks mate

I really liked sengoku rance, so I'm curious about the rest :)

asdfasdf

Aug 26, 2016
Rance 01 ui is slowly getting buggier as I go forwards, with more and more UI elements covering things.

DaoDinhKien

Nov 11, 2017
anyone clear all monster girls' CGs?? there were many case I could not get cg after using syrin or Reihard's serpent
edited: I found out, I have to get double their max HP overkill

Last edited:
4.30 star(s) 11 Votes