aloxtheking

May 30, 2018
what is the appeal of rance games? they seem too rapey and evil to me, not sure how they get further in the story

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
what is the appeal of rance games? they seem too rapey and evil to me, not sure how they get further in the story
Rance is not for everyone, and rape is heavily present to a degree, but I wouldn't say its very evil in terms of Rance raping people especially in the newer games where they make Rance a bit more level-headed and likable where in the old games he was still charming, but more of an asshole I would say. Rance games are deeply rooted in their origins as late 80s-90s japanese erotic games which included a lot of sex without consent and maybe a darker edge to some things. Rance for these past 30 years has persisted to parody a lot of tropes and ideas we see in RPGs and fantasy settings along with the idea of heroes and having power in these fantasy settings. Through this, the main character Rance isn't actually the primary "hero" of the world despite being incredibly strong and in some ways becomes this hero by force. The idea of "heroes" and having skills in the Rance-verse is predetermined by the creator of the verse so some people no matter how hard they try can never be good at certain things, and must do the best they can with the skills they may have even if those skills are deemed useless by many people. Rance while an asshole for raping women, in the newer games there is a bit more added to this. In VI we see in some ways he doesn't like feeling alone and wants to feel wanted or needed maybe even for selfish reasons, but there is some heart there. In Sengoku someone close to him is incapacitated for the rest of the game and there are moments that show he truly cared for this person and misses having them around. As the games progress he appreciates the girls consenting and even doing things sexually to please the girls he is with especially the girls he is especially fond of because he deeply cares about them. Even Rance himself knows some of the actions he does even outside the rape is wrong and has to think about his actions going forward and sometimes even shows he learned from his mistakes. Quite honestly, I think Rance is a pretty interesting and unique character especially within Japanese eroge along with the world he inhabits. This world is so interesting so seeing events, worldbuilding, and even politics between games or progress in different ways is interesting and I am heavily invested in this world. The Rance games especially the newer ones have great variety in the gameplay like 5D being roulette based, VI being a first person dungeon crawler, Sengoku being a strategy conquest game, Quest being a bit more standard RPG, IX being a SRPG and X being a sort of gacha rpg. And I feel they have done a great job finding ways to make the characters interesting and even cool across these different gameplay styles.

aloxtheking

May 30, 2018
Rance is not for everyone, and rape is heavily present to a degree, but I wouldn't say its very evil in terms of Rance raping people especially in the newer games where they make Rance a bit more level-headed and likable where in the old games he was still charming, but more of an asshole I would say. Rance games are deeply rooted in their origins as late 80s-90s japanese erotic games which included a lot of sex without consent and maybe a darker edge to some things. Rance for these past 30 years has persisted to parody a lot of tropes and ideas we see in RPGs and fantasy settings along with the idea of heroes and having power in these fantasy settings. Through this, the main character Rance isn't actually the primary "hero" of the world despite being incredibly strong and in some ways becomes this hero by force. The idea of "heroes" and having skills in the Rance-verse is predetermined by the creator of the verse so some people no matter how hard they try can never be good at certain things, and must do the best they can with the skills they may have even if those skills are deemed useless by many people. Rance while an asshole for raping women, in the newer games there is a bit more added to this. In VI we see in some ways he doesn't like feeling alone and wants to feel wanted or needed maybe even for selfish reasons, but there is some heart there. In Sengoku someone close to him is incapacitated for the rest of the game and there are moments that show he truly cared for this person and misses having them around. As the games progress he appreciates the girls consenting and even doing things sexually to please the girls he is with especially the girls he is especially fond of because he deeply cares about them. Even Rance himself knows some of the actions he does even outside the rape is wrong and has to think about his actions going forward and sometimes even shows he learned from his mistakes. Quite honestly, I think Rance is a pretty interesting and unique character especially within Japanese eroge along with the world he inhabits. This world is so interesting so seeing events, worldbuilding, and even politics between games or progress in different ways is interesting and I am heavily invested in this world. The Rance games especially the newer ones have great variety in the gameplay like 5D being roulette based, VI being a first person dungeon crawler, Sengoku being a strategy conquest game, Quest being a bit more standard RPG, IX being a SRPG and X being a sort of gacha rpg. And I feel they have done a great job finding ways to make the characters interesting and even cool across these different gameplay styles.
i mean, its not just the rape, the dude is willing to kill people who help him just out of boredom

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
i mean, its not just the rape, the dude is willing to kill people who help him just out of boredom
Most of the time it is for comedic effect or because that person in some ways is an asshole. Like I said, its not for everyone and it really digs into some of its parody or plays off fodder NPC deaths for comedy. Rance is an asshole no doubt which may make it hard to get into if you don't like him or find him entertaining. It never really comes off as evil and at best maybe selfish on a few occasions I can think of granted I don't take those moments seriously since they are fodder and usually used for comedy and it isn't like Rance always gets away with doing things like that.

aloxtheking

May 30, 2018
Most of the time it is for comedic effect or because that person in some ways is an asshole. Like I said, its not for everyone and it really digs into some of its parody or plays off fodder NPC deaths for comedy. Rance is an asshole no doubt which may make it hard to get into if you don't like him or find him entertaining. It never really comes off as evil and at best maybe selfish on a few occasions I can think of granted I don't take those moments seriously since they are fodder and usually used for comedy and it isn't like Rance always gets away with doing things like that.
will try sengoku rance a bit longer to see more, as it is one the eroge games with the most production value out there

Graves123

Sep 13, 2020
I can't get the Rance 01 CG unlock to work. I've extracted the one .asd file into the same folder as my game launcher and it doesn't work

Graves123

Sep 13, 2020
That unlocker is for the original games. It won't work on the remasters.
Well damn I guess I'll go back and unlock Nami's and zombie elf's scenes... when I feel like it... eventually...
Will a 100% save file work? I can't find one online though

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
If you want to support the English releases, a physical edition is releasing in a few weeks from MangaGamer.

SengokuRance_HC_store_image.jpg

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Fuck that is great I still need to buy VI first but this sound quitte good.
I do not want to support mangagamer but I really want to buy that.
How limited is the edition ?
I don't think they have stated, but I know there have been several other limited editions MangaGamer has done that say in stock for 3-5 years. This is Rance though and a big seller so who knows. I do think it will still be in stock for at least 2 years though.

Edit: They tweeted it will have 1000 copies made. I wonder how fast it will sell. JAST did 500 copies of Majikoi (pretty popular VN like Sengoku Rance at a similar price point) and that still isn't sold out after being opened for preorder like a year and a half ago.

Last edited:

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
Are all versions up to date?

Sengoku Rance is this version here patched wit the jap patch 1.01 or 1.04 and the 1.07 eng patch?

Or must I download a patch?

Can I use my old saves for this version without problems (jap+english fan translation)? (Can I copy all from my old to the new place without problems or are some special files not allowed to copy bcause they make bugs)

Last edited:

DuckDairyDip

Feb 21, 2018
Are all versions up to date?

Sengoku Rance is this version here patched wit the jap patch 1.01 or 1.04 and the 1.07 eng patch?

Or must I download a patch?

Can I use my old saves for this version without problems (jap+english fan translation)? (Can I copy all from my old to the new place without problems or are some special files not allowed to copy bcause they make bugs)
Don't know if the ones in OP are up to date, but you should have no issue copying your old save to the official translation version.

Dole

Well-Known Karen
Apr 28, 2017
At the moment it looks for me that Sengoku Rance have not the last Mangagamer Patch 1.07 so here a link for it:

Last edited:
Reactions: Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
At the moment it looks for me that Sengoku Rance have not the last Mangagamer Patch 1.07 so here a link for it:

Thanks added to the OP (y)

RedScience

Jun 27, 2020
I tried to download Rance 01 and 02. Rance 01 worked perfectly but Rance 02 doesn't work even with Apploc and opening the .exe with Japanese locale and administrator. Am I missing something?

4.30 star(s) 11 Votes