_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018

The court herald is far from the only thing that Irrelevant Art has been working on. He's been redesigning the Realm's guards (and the royal Drakesgard) from the ground up. The finished result isn't quite ready to show just yet - but the design sketches are so good, I wanted to share them with you all.
guards_wip.png
Support the game! , or
Join the discord!

Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
Also, and this is only on mine, the severity of the divinity dissaproving thing is because if an elf get pregnant from a dragon, the offspring is an abomination, so, of course vaginal sex is worse than anal.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Also, and this is only on mine, the severity of the divinity dissaproving thing is because if an elf get pregnant from a dragon, the offspring is an abomination, so, of course vaginal sex is worse than anal.
That's a reasonable guess, but... She says she could feel the disconnect happening immediately, and the dragon indeed feels her being 'burned out' in the 'bad' severance event, regardless of hole used. Might of course be that getting a dragon baby is extra bad on top of that, but how does she know? Are there Maelys-nagas running around somewhere we don't get to visit? :unsure:

Reactions: Dysphorika

Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
That's a reasonable guess, but... She says she could feel the disconnect happening immediately, and the dragon indeed feels her being 'burned out' in the 'bad' severance event, regardless of hole used. Might of course be that getting a dragon baby is extra bad on top of that, but how does she know? Are there Maelys-nagas running around somewhere we don't get to visit? :unsure:
Well, is the same way as the dragon dreams about Malice before she even gets conceived, I only can guess as my previous post, but seems abominations can mess with the time continuum.

• Wow
Reactions: Jman9

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
Are there Maelys-nagas running around somewhere we don't get to visit? :unsure:
Probably not. Seems like the birth of nagas (though aren't they more lamias ? They seem more land snake based rather than water snakes... whatever) is a well known fact among elves, so likely she managed to find a way to terminate potential offsprings from her ordeals ? That or the other elves (likely Val or Heloïse) helped her. After all, they know each other and were in the same realm.

Well, is the same way as the dragon dreams about Malice before she even gets conceived, I only can guess as my previous post, but seems abominations can mess with the time continuum.
I doubt it's that intense. Probably more a very special connection base on dragon's nature and powers ? Messing with time itself would seem a bit too huge of a thing, and toying with time travel in storytelling often ends up messy...

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
That or the other elves (likely Val or Heloïse) helped her. After all, they know each other and were in the same realm.
Isn't a big part of Maelys's story that she's not on particularly good terms with her handlers?

...likely she managed to find a way to terminate potential offsprings from her ordeals ?
Could be, but then how does she know being pregnant with an abomination is worse than just being defiled? I mean, technically she'd be pregnant from day one, and presumably would take precautions ASAP because a warrior with a big belly isn't.

...though aren't they more lamias ?
Both were snake-women in mythology, without any really strong connection to water or land.

Modern fantasy interpretations have tended to put nagas into water, but then again, modern (and not-so-modern) lamias have often enough been monster women not necessarily resembling (half-)snakes.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
Isn't a big part of Maelys's story that she's not on particularly good terms with her handlers?
While yes, I highly doubt they'd let what they think is an abomination get born just because they don't like her. Plus, it can very well be because she got captured and raped so many times that they actually have a problem with her.

Could be, but then how does she know being pregnant with an abomination is worse than just being defiled? I mean, technically she'd be pregnant from day one, and presumably would take precautions ASAP because a warrior with a big belly isn't.
Well yeah. Either that or they smashed the eggs right after birth. I don't know. So far it's just theories, since we don't know much about it. But we can know with relative certainty that there probably aren't other nagas roaming around under elves watch.

Both were snake-women in mythology, without any really strong connection to water or land.

Modern fantasy interpretations have tended to put nagas into water, but then again, modern (and not-so-modern) lamias have often enough been monster women not necessarily resembling (half-)snakes.
Yeah but that's the thing. Modern interpretation and the loose "canon" created by modern fantasy tends to influence that type of thing to help people understand easily from names. Like, you don't see suddenly a new fantasy universe where elves are 3" yellow skinned people with pure black pupils and normal shaped ears, for examples. There's a classic expected logic in most fantasy races to her with coherence.
Which is why I'm wondering about it. Could very well be a conscious choice from the devs, but since we don't have an answer from them on that...

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
While yes, I highly doubt they'd let what they think is an abomination get born just because they don't like her. Plus, it can very well be because she got captured and raped so many times that they actually have a problem with her.
How would they know? Maelys seems to be thrown out into the boonies with little oversight all the time.

And Maelys is pretty clear that they don't seem to have much problem with her getting defiled. Maybe because they do perform a quick scouring after each mission and then throw the icky hunter lass out again... :unsure:

But we can know with relative certainty that there probably aren't other nagas roaming around under elves watch.
Said elves don't seem to be very good at that watching business, though. They might not be roaming around, but one having a nest in another dark temple somewhere...

Idle speculation, of course.

Yeah but that's the thing. Modern interpretation and the loose "canon" created by modern fantasy tends to influence that type of thing to help people understand easily from names.
In which case, my immediate response to someone saying 'lamia' is . No snake women anywhere.

There's a classic expected logic in most fantasy races to her with coherence.
In most cases, there are several competing ones even in the modern vernacular. Every author seems to want to have their own spin on elves, for example. Be it novels, TTRPGs, digital games or whatever.

As an extreme example, tell me which interpretation of 'kobold' is the 'logical' one? 'Knockers', 'house elves', 'dog goblins', 'little dragonkin', 'salamanderkin', 'lizard-dog goblins'? These are all among modern takes, and what exactly is meant depends heavily on context.

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
How would they know? Maelys seems to be thrown out into the boonies with little oversight all the time.

And Maelys is pretty clear that they don't seem to have much problem with her getting defiled. Maybe because they do perform a quick scouring after each mission and then throw the icky hunter lass out again... :unsure:
Elves do seem to have specific magic in that universe. And Heloïse and Val both seem to be well versed in it in particular. Wouldn't surprise me if they were able to use it to find her, or Maelys managed to escape at some point, or something. For all unlucky as she is, the huntress still seems to be competent.

Said elves don't seem to be very good at that watching business, though. They might not be roaming around, but one having a nest in another dark temple somewhere...

Idle speculation, of course.
Remember that, before the appearance of the protag, dragons were extinct. Of course they'd have no reason to be as carefull, since the last dragon was supposed to have died quite some time ago.

In which case, my immediate response to someone saying 'lamia' is . No snake women anywhere.
Well, yeah, but as much as I love it, DnD is hardly the be all end all of fantasy reference. If you type "lamia" into a search engine, you'll mostly find snake women. Shows that the term refers to those more than anything else in modern fantasy.

In most cases, there are several competing ones even in the modern vernacular. Every author seems to want to have their own spin on elves, for example. Be it novels, TTRPGs, digital games or whatever.

As an extreme example, tell me which interpretation of 'kobold' is the right one? 'Knockers', 'house elves', 'dog goblins', 'little dragonkin', 'salamanderkin', 'lizard-dog goblins'? These are all valid takes, and what exactly is meant depends heavily on context.
I didn't say there was only one correct possibility. I said there was an expected concept that became widespread. Of course, some authors or creators will do whatever they want with it. After all, Elvensang (another game on here) has an elf that has been confirmed being more on the short and thick side, while elves are usually depicted as tall and slender people.
What I meant was that I was wondering if the name was chosen randomly or if the devs had a specific reason behind if. If they decided there was no difference between lamias and nagas, if they choose to only have one of those in their universe and picked the first name that came to mind, or whatever.

I'm merely speculating while waiting for the next updates.

Dysphorika

May 5, 2019
Yeah but that's the thing. Modern interpretation and the loose "canon" created by modern fantasy tends to influence that type of thing to help people understand easily from names. Like, you don't see suddenly a new fantasy universe where elves are 3" yellow skinned people with pure black pupils and normal shaped ears, for examples. There's a classic expected logic in most fantasy races to her with coherence.
Which is why I'm wondering about it. Could very well be a conscious choice from the devs, but since we don't have an answer from them on that...
Well, everybody remembers Rowling's "elves".

Oh yes, the lamia half lion version, I forgot that one.

• Haha
Reactions: Jman9 and Rutonat

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
And Heloïse and Val both seem to be well versed in it in particular. Wouldn't surprise me if they were able to use it to find her, or Maelys managed to escape at some point, or something.
My point was that they don't seem to care whether Maelys is getting dragon dick or not. Or where she gets it. Even if they have the ability to find her, they don't really seem to want to do much with it. All the actual doing is mostly dumped on the huntress gal.

Remember that, before the appearance of the protag, dragons were extinct. Of course they'd have no reason to be as carefull...
All the more reason to have secret Naga cults. :sneaky:

Well, yeah, but as much as I love it, DnD is hardly the be all end all of fantasy reference. If you type "lamia" into a search engine, you'll mostly find snake women.
I tried. Among the first 40 results:
  • The original Greek Lamia, whose 'snakeness' is questionable and strongly based on a relatively modern work (the eponymous poem by Keats): 15
  • Snake women: Keats's poem x2, Witcher lore x2, Terraria Lamia, a D&D 5E variant, some random DeviantArt page: 7
  • Nagas in disguise: Elder Scrolls Online: 2
  • D&D half-lions: 4
  • White Wolf vampire bloodline: 1
  • Night World vampire sub-species: 1
  • Supernatural's 'clawed monster' version: 1
  • Merlin TV series shapeshifter (and not into a snake-woman): 1
  • N/A: A French politician, an Afghanistan NGOx2, a spa, a football club, an ancient city, a piece of clothing, a corporation's acronym: 8
Out of these, fantasy references cover:
  • Snake women: Witcher lore x2, Terraria Lamia, D&D 5E variant, some random DeviantArt page: 5
  • Merlin TV series's shapeshifter (and not into a snake-woman): 1
This is barely a majority and even for that you have to count the pseudo-nagas.

I didn't say there was only one correct possibility. I said there was an expected concept that became widespread.
But there is not. There are at least four: snake-woman, half-lion, vampire and a nebulous 'seductive monster woman'. Probably 'succubus' as well.

At most, there is an expectation of 'lamia = snake-woman' among a large sub-section of digital gamers. Maybe.

What I meant was that I was wondering if the name was chosen randomly or if the devs had a specific reason behind if.
Unlike Lamia and her ilk, Nagas were decidedly half-serpents from the very beginning and haven't changed much except for moving from a paradise dimension into mundane water. So I'd guess 'naga' was a natural choice and they never thought much about lamias.

No way to tell unless 4MW comes out and says it was because of Avatar: LOK instead. :p

• Red Heart

Rutonat

Sep 28, 2020
My point was that they don't seem to care whether Maelys is getting dragon dick or not. Or where she gets it. Even if they have the ability to find her, they don't really seem to want to do much with it. All the actual doing is mostly dumped on the huntress gal.
I get that. I didn't say they cared. Please pay attention to what I'm writting... They can not give a single fuck about her getting raped, but how does that justify they'd let her give birth to an abomination ? Read between the lines, dude !

I tried. Among the first 40 results:
  • The original Greek Lamia, whose 'snakeness' is questionable and strongly based on a relatively modern work (the eponymous poem by Keats): 15
  • Snake women: Keats's poem x2, Witcher lore x2, Terraria Lamia, a D&D 5E variant, some random DeviantArt page: 7
  • Merlin TV series shapeshifter (and not into a snake-woman): 1
  • N/A: A French politician, an Afghanistan NGOx2, a spa, a football club, an ancient city, a piece of clothing, a corporation's acronym: 8
Out of these, fantasy references cover:
  • Snake women: Witcher lore x2, Terraria Lamia, D&D 5E variant, some random DeviantArt page: 5
  • Merlin TV series's shapeshifter (and not into a snake-woman): 1
This is barely a majority and even for that you have to count the pseudo-nagas.
I meant more about images, but whatever.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Are dragons known for not impregnating their victims? If not, then caring about defilement and pregnancy are pretty much the same thing unless she's getting regular 'uncaring' check-ups after each mission. Maelys's griefing about their activities didn't sound like that to me.

• Angry
Reactions: YouShallNotLol
4.60 star(s) 207 Votes