4.40 star(s) 103 Votes

khryz

Jul 24, 2019
Good Heavens!, i think is closest translation to english, sacre = sacred and blue=sky, sacred sky which symbolizes the heaven and if i recall correctly Poirot used to be a priest.

And on topic: what heresy is this a LeFrench game without it's french translation. :ROFLMAO:
You're right, the previous ones are more "literal" translations.

Reactions: Krull

BeingADikDik

Engaged Member
Apr 17, 2021
Good Heavens!, i think is closest translation to english, sacre = sacred and blue=sky, sacred sky which symbolizes the heaven and if i recall correctly Poirot used to be a priest.

And on topic: what heresy is this, a LeFrench game without it's french translation. :ROFLMAO:
Alternatively, bleu is a type of cheese. So, the saying could translate to Sacred Cheese! Which makes sense.

Krull

Retired
GFX Designer
Donor
Respected User
Feb 1, 2017
Alternatively, bleu is a type of cheese. So, the saying could translate to Sacred Cheese! Which makes sense.
That makes sense too, wine and cheese, the artists delight and him being from Belgium.
In all fairness these expressions are best used in their original form.

Last edited:

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Or "Blue Coronation" maybe?
Pretty close. "Sacre" can't mean "sacred", it would be "sacré". "Sacrebleu" represents the old French "sacre Dieu" (modern French "[par le] sacre de Dieu"), meaning "[by] God's coronation". "Bleu" was substituted to "Dieu" to avoid a blasphemy. That's why French aristocrats are said to have blue blood ("sang Dieu", "God's blood").
But philology is off-topic :cautious:

khryz

Jul 24, 2019
Pretty close. "Sacre" can't mean "sacred", it would be "sacré". "Sacrebleu" represents the old French "sacre Dieu" (modern French "[par le] sacre de Dieu"), meaning "[by] God's coronation". "Bleu" was substituted to "Dieu" to avoid a blasphemy. That's why French aristocrats are said to have blue blood ("sang Dieu", "God's blood").
Oh! I'm french, and although I know what it means, i didn't know where it came from. So, thank you for the explanation.

But yes, let's get back on the topic. :whistle:

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
C'est une sacrée explication ! Chapeau ! :BootyTime:

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
But he's not a Frenchie, he's a Belgie!
Poirot speaks a very refined French (in the French versions of the movies). The only weird thing about his language is that, when he's talking about himself, he says Poirot instead of "je" (I), I've never heard that.

Reactions: Dragon59
4.40 star(s) 103 Votes