MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I third it.

It’s a fallacy you know: Not letting us get everything in one playthrough will only mean another Sophie’s Choice in the second one. And the third. And the fourth. (Help me! I trapped in a loop!)
I don't think we are alone in wanting to experience it all in one play through. For me I am not a huge fan of going through the same story decisions/scenes because there isn't enough story variation beyond who the MC is fucking. And unless the fucking is substantially different with each partner (D/S or BDSM or some other kink) then those scenes become boring to me. If the story changed substantially based on the player's decisions I'd happily play over and over again to see all the endings. But most developers don't have the time/budget to have more than 1 or 2 endings.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
... I will not act entitled or demand you change the story, but I wish to make it known I respectfully disagree with whoever said this.
I do agree with it for 1 quite large reason, if you get everything in 1 play it means choices are useless.

If devs are going to show all content they may as well remove choices and make it a kinetic novel.

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
I do agree with it for 1 quite large reason, if you get everything in 1 play it means choices are useless.

If devs are going to show all content they may as well remove choices and make it a kinetic novel.
yeah, I can agree with that, but in my opinion, the best option is to have redeeming points in the game for interpersonal relationships, and that affecting the dynamic of said relationship.

Reactions: Simulacrum29

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
A choice is only as powerful as what you are leaving behind. As a famous phrase says, "choosing is giving up".

If this was a silly "harem let's fuck everything story" I can totally understand giving the player the opportunity to have it all. After all, that was the selling point of the story. But in a great story as this one, I want it to be so that MC decisions matter more than just cumming inside or outside.

Make me suffer from the decisions I make and live in their consequences.

yeah, I can agree with that, but in my opinion, the best option is to have redeeming points in the game for interpersonal relationships, and that affecting the dynamic of said relationship.
Well the point system is actually a simplification of the full variable system. In fact, the point system have its problem in that it makes decision interchangeable: does not matter what you do, only matter how much it sums up to.

The problem with the full variable system is that for variables to be important, the game tree grows exponentially very fast. Even only 5 two option choices would reduce to 32 paths, for example.

In some sense, the point system can only be obtain as the sum of the variables in the full variables model where f(x1,x2,x3,...,xn)=x1+x2+x3+...+xn but from the sum you cannot go back to the individual values.

Whether the point or variables are important really depende on the story dev has in his head.

Last edited:

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
A choice is only as powerful as what you are leaving behind. As a famous phrase says, "choosing is giving up".

If this was a silly "harem let's fuck everything story" I can totally understand giving the player the opportunity to have it all. After all, that was the selling point of the story. But in a great story as this one, I want it to be so that MC decisions matter more than just cumming inside or outside.

Make me suffer from the decisions I make and live in their consequences.

Well the point system is actually a simplification of the full variable system. In fact, the point system have its problem in that it makes decision interchangeable: does not matter what you do, only matter how much it sums up to.

The problem with the full variable system is that for variables to be important, the game tree grows exponentially very fast. Even only 5 two option choices would reduce 32 paths, for example.

In some sense, the point system can only be obtain as the sum of the variables in the full variables model where f(x1,x2,x3,...,xn)=x1+x2+x3+...+xn but from the sum you cannot go back to the individual values.

Whether the point or variables are important really depende on the story dev has in his head.
Oh, I'm aware, I tried to write a choose your own story game before, I'm just saying, in a perfect world, that is what I find preferable, for example, the Faye are indifferent now, but in the future, another choice makes them amicable, but that depends on game length and if the dev thinks they can do it without burning out.

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019

I think we should differentiate between “getting everything (the best possible outcome)” and “getting everything (every possible scene)”.

The best possible outcome, a truly utopian ending is the carrot on a stick. How will it taste? Is it really there? Is it truly achievable? …Who knows? But you can see it, and imagine it. It will taste so good and you want it, badly. NOW!

The carrot is one of the things that make playing worthwhile.

Furthermore, to give people the possibility to achieve the optimal outcome doesn’t necessarily mean it should be easy. Playing in a tournament and winning the first game doesn’t mean you are magically entitled to play in the finals. But the referee will never come up to a player and sock them in the knee with a tire-iron.

Then there is the other thing: getting every possible scene, no matter the choice. Impossible. It is a VN with RPG-elements: The Archon is a flawed person and you can, at key moments, choose how he reacts and how he uses his powers. No playthrough has to be the same. It is a choice. Your choice. All choices matter and are never ever useless, even when they do not trip a variable. Because in a well written roleplaying-game, no matter the outcome, those choices mean something to you, personally.

In my opinion a violent Archon, who abuses his powers, should never hope to get Elisabeth to join as a priestess, unless he also forces her to succumb to her lower, vampiric impulses. You don’t tell Alvara she is yours, then you should probably not be able to have loving intercourse with her.

I still want my fae and my elves, my wolves and my orcs and a pocket priestess, though.

Last edited:

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
See, there is the problem.

They don't all work together nor even remotely like each other so now we're sacrificing story and the lore the dev has built up purely because people want it all.
I agree to a point, the mc has presented himself as a "fuck the past and traditions" kind of guy, his whole thing is that he wants Mythics to coexist in his city, as an Archon Aka a God Lvl mage, that will probably extend a little further, even more so if he becomes the head of the family (So much so that in the breakfast he says that the first thing he would do is get rid of the whole Elder thing), so it isn't against the lore or story that he would try to broker a peace treaty, or just have some people of those species that he cares about at least tolerating each other, the dev themselves have talked about how our choices in chapter 4 can make or break a deal between werewolf and elves.

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019
See, there is the problem.

They don't all work together nor even remotely like each other so now we're sacrificing story and the lore the dev has built up purely because people want it all.
Please don’t kink shame me ;). Peaceful coexistence is sooo hot. It’s like a huge, asexual orgy. And everyone is invited (…that’s the whole point, I guess).

Alodjinn

Sep 6, 2018
Orgies of peaceful coexistence aside.
I think it is also a matter of not abandoning those plot line just by piking the other choice .
I would like to see what happen to the faction we don't ally. Do they stay with the greater ashall family or go with an other one . Do they thrive or not .
But given the quality of the writer and the fact that the MC always introspect his choice it would be awesome to see the road not taken still being explore.

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
This game is really awesome with a storyline, that makes me thirst for more like Elizabeth thirst for blood.
Though it gives a question. Would it be discriminating or racism if I do not want to do something with Marena because I found her human brown skin not aesthetically appealing but instead her green orc skin at least bearable?

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019
I would like to see what happen to the faction we don't ally. Do they stay with the greater ashall family or go with an other one . Do they thrive or not .
Suppose not all of the currently known factions are actually good potential allies:
  • The elves for example are probably not worth keeping around – daddy pushed them on Nolan, to the detriment of the amazons. They couldn’t even deal with the wolves & vampires, even when the Ashall’s and the fae (not sure?) were there to help.
  • Speaking of the lycanthropes: They are a nice gimmick and surprisingly easy pacified (oh, the irony), but are not yet a force to be reckoned with (as far as we know).
  • So far, the amazons are a still a little bit uncertain. The queen surely expects something more from the Archon: probably grandkids. It will also take some time to repair the portal or to build another one.
  • The fae were easily duped and until recently under the control of one of daddy’s cronies (depending on your choices, they still are!). Personally, I expected more from Titania (maybe we better hold out for her sister Maeve - she was always the trickier one).
Who else is there? Ah, the orcs: Sammy’s chieftain has it coming, for sure. (Then again, it is only one meager tribe). Anyone else?

Would it be discriminating or racism if I do not want to do something with Marena because I found her human brown skin not aesthetically appealing but instead her green orc skin at least bearable?
I’m not gonna touch that question with a ten-foot pole. As a lifelong trekkie I subscribe to the mantra “infinite diversity in infinite combinations” (…and went with green, then brown, then green, then brown …ah, you get it).
But you do you.

Reactions: Simulacrum29

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
Suppose not all of the currently known factions are actually good potential allies:
  • The elves for example are probably not worth keeping around – daddy pushed them on Nolan, to the detriment of the amazons. They couldn’t even deal with the wolves & vampires, even when the Ashall’s and the fae (not sure?) were there to help.
  • Speaking of the lycanthropes: They are a nice gimmick and surprisingly easy pacified (oh, the irony), but are not yet a force to be reckoned with (as far as we know).
  • So far, the amazons are a still a little bit uncertain. The queen surely expects something more from the Archon: [/ISPOILER]probably grandkids. It will also take some time to repair the portal or to build another one.
    [*]The fae were easily duped and until recently under the control of one of daddy’s cronies (depending on your choices, they still are!). Personally, I expected more from Titania (maybe we better hold out for her sister Maeve - she was always the trickier one).
Who else is there? Ah, the orcs: Sammy’s chieftain has it coming, for sure. (Then again, it is only one meager tribe). Anyone else?

I’m not gonna touch that question with a ten-foot pole. As a lifelong trekkie I subscribe to the mantra “infinite diversity in infinite combinations” (…and went with green, then brown, then green, then brown …ah, you get it).
But you do you.[/ispoiler]
correction on the elves thing,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
About the werewolves,
The amazons

iroll1s

Jun 14, 2019
correction on the elves thing,
About the werewolves,
The amazons
Okay. Sure. I can see your points.
Only playin' advocatus diaboli, that is all.

Also the point that no one has been able to deal with them despite them being weakened.

And the fact that the alpha knows how powerful the Archon is yet still gives zero fucks.
And sorry for the spoilerific highjinks. ...Wasn't meant as an impoliteness, just the opposite in fact. (There is still something going on with the doggypeople smelling the Archon on every hydrant in the tri-state-area.)

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020

Also the point that no one has been able to deal with them despite them being weakened.

And the fact that the alpha knows how powerful the Archon is yet still gives zero fucks.
Agree with the second point

4.60 star(s) 69 Votes