ThunderStruck

Dec 1, 2017
Haha I like how Dick tried to grab Rey Rey and Jensen just speed blitz punched him in the face, and Rena didn't even had time to react. It was more like a reflex, anyone inappropriately tries to touch Rey Rey and Jensen subconsciously punches him.

Piyush3362

Jul 7, 2018
Love your game :) Awsome
just a request -- could u please add name changing feature as it will increase the immersion even more
thank you

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Oh no, because of that bathroom scene at the Battle of the Bands event there's no way it isn't a crossover, as we see the exact same scene from the two different storylines. Sorry, but that made it a cross-over. :D

(Loved that gem by the way, and a brilliant bit of collaboration from Doc and MrKnobb to make it happen. Absolutely unique)
Could it be that you don't know what a cameo is?
Anyway, you could call it guest appearances instead, a crossover usually means the characters share a part of a story together.
Here they just share the same world and make brief appearances in the other's story.
Hence a cameo or guest appearance, not a crossover.

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
When Vicky invites you to her little "fashion show," is it just me or is there no third dress?

And while the new Nicky is sexy and cute as fuck, going from shy little librarian to sexy Goth Punk chick is a bit of a stretch innit?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Tsk tsk tsk... all will be revealed and no stretching.

When Vicky invites you to her little "fashion show," is it just me or is there no third dress?

And while the new Nicky is sexy and cute as fuck, going from shy little librarian to sexy Goth Punk chick is a bit of a stretch innit?

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Could it be that you don't know what a cameo is?
Anyway, you could call it guest appearances instead, a crossover usually means the characters share a part of a story together.
Here they just share the same world and make brief appearances in the other's story.
Hence a cameo or guest appearance, not a crossover.
I fully understand the difference, and that's the point. Allow me to attempt to explain the subtle nuance that separates this one.

I first encountered the Battle of the Bands bathroom scene in Acting Lessons, where it is a scene of small significance for the character relationship between the 2 main female romantic interests (or between the leading lady and her BFF). It's a story event. Looked at from the position of playing Acting Lessons, then yes, the appearance of Nicky and Mei-Lin could be seen as cameo. But it is important to note that the scene was released in Acting Lessons first.

In Retrieving The Past, it is not just that some characters come over to make an appearance. It's the the entire scene is recreated and reexamined from another perspective to drive another story. That alone makes it a crossover, because events don't make cameo appearances, only actors do. An event reappearing in another movie is always a crossover. That's simply how the definition works.

Mrs Pearson's appearance in RTP was a cameo. The reappearance of the entire Battle of the Bands event, used to drive 2 different stories is a crossover. Where it gets really subtle is that if Mrs. Pearson having new lingerie is acknowledged and used in Acting Lessons in a future episode, that will immediately upgrade the appearance from a cameo to a crossover.

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I fully understand the difference, and that's the point. Allow me to attempt to explain the subtle nuance that separates this one.

I first encountered the Battle of the Bands bathroom scene in Acting Lessons, where it is a scene of small significance for the character relationship between the 2 main female romantic interests (or between the leading lady and her BFF). It's a story event. Looked at from the position of playing Acting Lessons, then yes, the appearance of Nicky and Mei-Lin could be seen as cameo. But it is important to note that the scene was released in Acting Lessons first.

In Retrieving The Past, it is not just that some characters come over to make an appearance. It's the the entire scene is recreated and reexamined from another perspective to drive another story. That alone makes it a crossover, because events don't make cameo appearances, only actors do. An event reappearing in another movie is always a crossover. That's simply how the definition works.

Mrs Pearson's appearance in RTP was a cameo. The reappearance of the entire Battle of the Bands event, used to drive 2 different stories is a crossover. Where it gets really subtle is that if Mrs. Pearson having new lingerie is acknowledged and used in Acting Lessons in a future episode, that will immediately upgrade the appearance from a cameo to a crossover.

No, sorry, still disagree. There is next to no interaction between the characters, it's like when Spidey appears in the Fantastic Four to tell Johnny about his current problems. That's still just a guest appearance, the stories aren't involved enough with each other, there are just some shared locations and ONE character connection. That's not enough to be a crossover.
Might be too much for a cameo, I'll give you that, but still not enough to be considered a crossover.

Reactions: Hyped

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
A cameo is a nod to someone, and is one-way. It brings them into your fiction briefly without affecting the story or life they are known for in any significant way. Typically a cameo role is both brief and insignificant, often having no dialogue.

If it is two-way, and the appearance in the cameo is acknowledged and built on in their original setting, then it's a crossover. It wasn't just a one-way nod of recognition, but mutual recognition and acknowledgement.

And that's the strictest definition. The wikipedia version is a lot less strict ( ) which notes "The first popular crossover in literature was the 1885 Mark Twain novel, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which had an important guest appearance by Tom Sawyer."

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
LOL if i may Uncle...

Crossover or just plain sharing characters, Doc and myself shared Cities and time/day events. We could not do certain events if other events did not happen in his or my game.

Actually does not matter what its called to be honest and i actually love that you guys discuss it but as Uncle said please pm each other if you do not mind.

I think let's just enjoy what Doc and myself tried to do for whatever it is called.

Thank you again all for playing.

.:Lataz:.

Guys, it's ok. You can continue the cameo thing by PM, please.

Ape Drape

Oct 3, 2018
I guess you missed the part when credits started rolling that DrPinkCake, the dev of Acting Lessons is involved in this VN as well a little bit, that's why the cameo appearances of Acting Lessons characters, so in a small manner the two universes are one. They are still their own stories of course, but characters make visits in one another's stories, physically or by being mentioned.
Like when Fonzie and Richie show up at the bowling ally to hang with Laverne & Shirley?
I actually liked the tie in even though both VNs are of an entirely different nature. I also liked that it checked my Acting Lesson saves for my MC name. That was a nice touch.

Reactions: Eerie Entity

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Like when Fonzie and Richie show up at the bowling ally to hang with Laverne & Shirley?
I actually liked the tie in even though both VNs are of an entirely different nature. I also liked that it checked my Acting Lesson saves for my MC name. That was a nice touch.
Yeah, AL and RtP are their own entities, but being of the same universe, even if only through cameos in that subtle way.
And it indeed was a very nice tough, at first I was like "what the f...Rena and Jensen talking about ME?! Damn!" haha :p

Dec 30, 2017
Hey ? I deleted my previous version to save space for the new version. But when i opened tge folder all i found is the (game) folder with ch1-3.rpa? What will i do?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Best to do is re-download the game and use that version. Something sounds weird for sure.
If you still have Chapter 4 zip file then unzip it and run. Save your old save files if you have any.

Hey ? I deleted my previous version to save space for the new version. But when i opened tge folder all i found is the (game) folder with ch1-3.rpa? What will i do?

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
I know this is probably too obvious, but just for the sake of making sure the obvious was covered, if you extract using the defaults then remember it doesn't create the same folder. So if it was MyGame_ch3 before, and you extract the latest MyGame_ch4.zip using default settings it will create a whole new game folder MyGame_ch4, and if you were by habit looking in the old folder, yeah, all the files would be missing...

SupMate

Aug 20, 2018
I'M MINDBLOWN how did you get the acting lessons information to sync with this? i'm honestly out of words

3.80 star(s) 77 Votes