Dec 29, 2018
While I've enjoyed the game for the most part, I'm worried that the author is trying to spin too many plates here.

There's the story of Jensen's past as an experimental soldier, and his arch nemesis that comes back to haunt him. Then there's the main love interests in Victoria and her daughter. You also have all the other girls that are caught up in this mess and held captive. I think that would probably be enough material for a decent plot, but then there's a bunch more going on too. There's Jensen's sister and his niece, his ex-girlfriend and their daughter, the Yakuza, and the lady superspy Evaline. That just seems like too much stuff to develop all at once.

The fact that there are so many subplots going on prevents us from spending much time with the player character. We frequently sit back and just watch the other characters do things. Take a look at the scenes in Series 2 so far.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

We only see Jensen in four out of the twenty scenes, and we only make one decision. And it's a rather underwhelming one, because I've basically already made this choice four or five times now. Every single time I've been asked to choose between Victoria and Nicky, I've chosen Victoria. Yet Jensen still keeps stringing this other poor girl along. It's starting to remind me of how frustrated I got when playing the game Acting Lessons, because the main character kept saying stupid things about how he couldn't possibly choose between Megan and Melissa, even though I only had eyes for Melissa. While I liked Megan well enough at the beginning of that game, I resented her presence by the halfway mark just because of how hard she was forced on you.

We've got the same basic dynamic again here, where two women agree to pursue the same man, and I'm worried that this will also drag on for far too long. Truthfully, it already has for me, as I found myself rolling my eyes and groaning as the daughter jumped on Jensen when she saw him in the cabin and kissed him in front of Victoria. I suppose there's a lot of people hoping for a threesome or a harem or something of that nature, but I'm not one of them. I just want to choose Victoria, and the longer this gets dragged out, the less satisfying that choice will be.

We really should've been able to choose to avoid having sexual relations with some of these girls, especially since two of them are related. Seriously, what's Jensen going to say in the end if you choose Victoria? "Hey Vicky, I've finally decided that I like you a little bit more than everyone else. It was a tough choice, but after having your daughter suck me off in a movie theatre, I realized that you were the slightly better option."

That'll really sweep her off her feet, Eh?

I haven't played through the game while trying to pursue Nicky, so I don't know if her mother is similarly forced on you. However, I do know that you aren't allowed to reject the advances of Mei-Lin, and Nicky is heartbroken to see the two of you together on the couch, so I would assume that the players who only want Nicky have similar grievances with the lack of choices in the game. The main plot is entirely linear, so the limitations on the romance aspect of the game means we really don't have much to do in the game at all.

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
While I've enjoyed the game for the most part, I'm worried that the author is trying to spin too many plates here.

There's the story of Jensen's past as an experimental soldier, and his arch nemesis that comes back to haunt him. Then there's the main love interests in Victoria and her daughter. You also have all the other girls that are caught up in this mess and held captive. I think that would probably be enough material for a decent plot, but then there's a bunch more going on too. There's Jensen's sister and his niece, his ex-girlfriend and their daughter, the Yakuza, and the lady superspy Evaline. That just seems like too much stuff to develop all at once.

The fact that there are so many subplots going on prevents us from spending much time with the player character. We frequently sit back and just watch the other characters do things. Take a look at the scenes in Series 2 so far.

We only see Jensen in four out of the twenty scenes, and we only make one decision. And it's a rather underwhelming one, because I've basically already made this choice four or five times now. Every single time I've been asked to choose between Victoria and Nicky, I've chosen Victoria. Yet Jensen still keeps stringing this other poor girl along. It's starting to remind me of how frustrated I got when playing the game Acting Lessons, because the main character kept saying stupid things about how he couldn't possibly choose between Megan and Melissa, even though I only had eyes for Melissa. While I liked Megan well enough at the beginning of that game, I resented her presence by the halfway mark just because of how hard she was forced on you.

We've got the same basic dynamic again here, where two women agree to pursue the same man, and I'm worried that this will also drag on for far too long. Truthfully, it already has for me, as I found myself rolling my eyes and groaning as the daughter jumped on Jensen when she saw him in the cabin and kissed him in front of Victoria. I suppose there's a lot of people hoping for a threesome or a harem or something of that nature, but I'm not one of them. I just want to choose Victoria, and the longer this gets dragged out, the less satisfying that choice will be.

We really should've been able to choose to avoid having sexual relations with some of these girls, especially since two of them are related. Seriously, what's Jensen going to say in the end if you choose Victoria? "Hey Vicky, I've finally decided that I like you a little bit more than everyone else. It was a tough choice, but after having your daughter suck me off in a movie theatre, I realized that you were the slightly better option."

I haven't played through the game while trying to pursue Nicky, so I don't know if her mother is similarly forced on you. However, I do know that you aren't allowed to reject the advances of Mei-Lin, and Nicky is heartbroken to see the two of you together on the couch, so I would assume that the players who only want Nicky have similar grievances with the lack of choices in the game. The main plot is entirely linear, so the limitations on the romance aspect of the game means we really don't have much to do in the game at all.
having done the Nicky path, you are forced to do that bike ride with Vicky. i had a long chat with MrKnobbs about the forcing of the the cinema scene with Nicky and the Bike ride with Vicky, he does that so you as the player can get a feel for the girl

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

B-52reloaded

Aug 25, 2018
having done the Nicky path, you are forced to do that bike ride with Vicky. i had a long chat with MrKnobbs about the forcing of the the cinema scene with Nicky and the Bike ride with Vicky, he does that so you as the player can get a feel for the girl
I can understand the reasons of the dev but I do hope he will not overdue it cause otherwise it might just kind of repel part of the audience .. thus I can understand the concerns of Alfred the Fallen

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
I can understand the reasons of the dev but I do hope he will not overdue it cause otherwise it might just kind of repel part of the audience .. thus I can understand the concerns of Alfred the Fallen
to my knowledge those are the only scenes that are forced on you

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Hey ... fist off great explanation of your thoughts, sometimes ppl confuse me a little with what they trying to say but yours is clear as day...

Don't worry i haven't chewed off more than i can stomach. If i presented you all with a finished game as a whole we would not be having this conversation trust me. As I have to do it episodically and in Series we are now where we are with many confused and frustrated.

The complexity between Vicky, Nicky and Jensens relationship is pretty fast yes. Vicky is reserved and you will find out in EP3 why.
Nicky is infatuated with her "daddy" figure and her first true love/crush. If you play Vicky path only then apart from Nicky cinema scene (which i absolutely felt i had to do to flesh out more character building) you will get to read the story as seen by Jensen and Vicky only etc...

Jensen is also not sure if he can just love again as the last two love affairs of his ended badly. He is not playing the fool and neither are Vicky and Nicky. Both mother and daughter like Jensen and both love/respect each other so it's delicate to be honest. I have to be careful to give players their lady of choice, choices and then also continue the game as if nothing happened to affect Jensens relationship with all the women, yet it grew with the lady of the players choice also.

We will come to and end of the relationships, but it's not possible for me to choose one lady now as the scope of the story is too vast for me to focus on the separate paths the player chose.

Instead myself/Rogue have chosen to grow Jensen and the women he likes into a permanent and secure relationship that will last. We have an ending for all women choices in plan already.

RTP is unfortunately for some not a game like "The Visit or Milfy City " or Alexandra/Life with Mary. It focuses on a story and adds romance/sex and hopefully a happy ending.

IF the story does not hold your interest and the characters then I am sorry to hear it, but I am not deviating from the course I've set upon and both Rogue and I plan to see it to fruition... I hope you stay to see how it all ends.

YES RTP is a nice story that you read, with a choice of one lady at the end, nothing more nothing less. We can't all just play Incest, Molestation games only. Not so?

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018

Great explanation of your concerns. Thank you.

There is absolutely no denying that there is a lot going on. When I first played through the story myself, before being a part of the team, we were only a few episodes into the first series, and already I was starting to sense that there is a huge and ambitious plot at work under the surface. There's a lot going on. There are so many questions that need answering. So many threads that are weaving together something, but we can't yet see the complete pattern...

As an avid fan of stories in all media, I love that. But you are absolutely right that while it is common to good movies, and essential in most books, it is very unusual in the adult VN genre. Back then I had a few constructive criticisms about the pacing, the dialogue, etc. but I still absolutely loved and respected that a developer was 'giving it a damn good go'. Whatever my worries or concerns about the outcome, I knew right there and then that I simply had to support MrKnobb in being brave enough to make the attempt.

Since then, I've become deeply involved, and been happy to be given a chance to truly support and contribute to this endeavor. I have only become more and more impressed with the commitment to the story, the characters, and the overall VN experience that MrKnobb has for this. Hopefully you see through the course of this thread that we both share that passion, that respect for the story and the characters, and for doing a good job of bringing them to life.

We've still a long way to go. This is still very much an ambitious, even audacious project, to put such a complex and epic story into a VN. Just ask yourself this one thing: Would you prefer to live in a world where people take chances at doing something really big and bold, or one where everyone sticks to the small and safe options? :)

The fact that there are so many subplots going on prevents us from spending much time with the player character.
Honestly, the main thing stopping us spending a lot of time with the MC in the past 2 updates is the fact that he's bed ridden, after being very nearly killed. The treatment he was given massively accelerates his healing (because otherwise for the injuries he received he'd be out of action for months), but that sped-up super-metabolic healing rate is taking his energy, even with all his powers.

This was always planned. For series 2, we effectively 'switch' to the perspective of The Major as a main character protagonist. Not only is she equally capable in her way, but more importantly, it gives us a chance to interact with characters and situations in a new way - a way that Jensen would not - in order to be able to show other aspects to characters and events.

There's a curious and amazing thing about people - we change in accordance with situation. And because a human personality is a very, very complex thing, even a few small changes can make a massive difference. Did you know, for example that you actually use a slightly different voice for each person you know, and that with samples of your voice and some complex analysis, experts can tell precisely who you are speaking with based on just a short sample of your voice?

Well, the same is true for what aspects of our personalities come forward, what topics we discuss. We could watch characters interact with Jensen for an entire lifetime, and still not see the things that might become apparent at once the moment they talked with someone else.

But forget that depth ... isn't it just nice to watch Eve do her thing for a little while, knowing that we'll be able to return to Jensen soon enough? :D

Yet Jensen still keeps stringing this other poor girl along. [...]
I can see where you are coming from ... but I'd suggest you may be overlooking the doubts we've shown each girl having.

smokebox

Dec 22, 2018
Regarding the last update, Penny sandwich is my new favorite flavor she is so yummy:whistle::whistle:, and now about Ann, just when i was thinking she might deserve a chance she drop that bomb? ,and still keep lying to Amber?,geez, if i was our hero i would make another DNA test just in case, call me paranoid but now it wouldn't surprise me if she is helping the bad guys, the time of the revelation and now this other secret,its too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

Rufus Maximus

Oct 5, 2018
To be honest i have not idea... ill see if i can find some answers but you will have to give me a few days. Android development is unfortunately not my forte or strong point.

Sorry to bother you. Have you had a chance to figure out what happened to the Android port?

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016

brittC25

Nov 24, 2018
Have to say, I loved season 1, I could tell the story was going to be very complex, and it doesn't let You down at all, the many endless twists and turns of the story are very well written and it keeps You focused in a major way, almost as much as the endless many sex scenes the MC and others get into.

Season 2 so far, has me loving it again and wanting more and more, because the game has so many plots ongoing and so many twists and turns ongoing, You could well do 8 seasons of it before You finish it in an epic way, like say GoT ;)

The renders on guys and girls are beautiful work, animation is smooth, thank You also for not going melon sized boobs on every female in sight.

All in all, stunning game to play 10/10.

Rico Caramba

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
Excellent game. Sort of porn meets action film meets Harlequin novel.

I found this game some time ago. Back then I only played a short part of it. I liked it, but for some reason I forgot about it. Now I gave it another try and found out there's a whole season one and a couple of chapters of season two. A lot of content! And I liked it even more.

Porn: there are lots, really lots of beautiful girls and a lot of hot action.

Action film: the story is unlikely, complex and hard to follow but very, very entertaining. There's thugs, rogue soldiers, a shady government complot, lots of secrets from the past (hence the name of the game) and a good guy fighting for a good cause.

Harlequin novel: all the girls fall for this dreamy guy. He is strong, rich, charming, has a righteous heart and he looks like Jaime fucking Lannister. And he is well endowed, of course, more than well endowed. There is no competition for us, regular guys. But there is a sweet love story going on. I hope that on the last page Vicky and Jensen will be together. And that then all the other girls will join them in action ;).

Seriously, a very good, very well written, very original VN that stands out from the great majority of the games around.

dce8383

Aug 25, 2017
So Jensen gets to choose between Nicky, Vicki or "Practical". Huh? Her name is Evaline. Not sure what you intended there.

dce8383

Aug 25, 2017
Yep, still not sure why the word "Practical" is used instead of "Evaline".

*derp, corrected her name in my previous post.

3.80 star(s) 77 Votes