Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
While I've enjoyed the game for the most part, I'm worried that the author is trying to spin too many plates here.

There's the story of Jensen's past as an experimental soldier, and his arch nemesis that comes back to haunt him. Then there's the main love interests in Victoria and her daughter. You also have all the other girls that are caught up in this mess and held captive. I think that would probably be enough material for a decent plot, but then there's a bunch more going on too. There's Jensen's sister and his niece, his ex-girlfriend and their daughter, the Yakuza, and the lady superspy Evaline. That just seems like too much stuff to develop all at once.

The fact that there are so many subplots going on prevents us from spending much time with the player character. We frequently sit back and just watch the other characters do things. Take a look at the scenes in Series 2 so far.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

We only see Jensen in four out of the twenty scenes, and we only make one decision. And it's a rather underwhelming one, because I've basically already made this choice four or five times now. Every single time I've been asked to choose between Victoria and Nicky, I've chosen Victoria. Yet Jensen still keeps stringing this other poor girl along. It's starting to remind me of how frustrated I got when playing the game Acting Lessons, because the main character kept saying stupid things about how he couldn't possibly choose between Megan and Melissa, even though I only had eyes for Melissa. While I liked Megan well enough at the beginning of that game, I resented her presence by the halfway mark just because of how hard she was forced on you.

We've got the same basic dynamic again here, where two women agree to pursue the same man, and I'm worried that this will also drag on for far too long. Truthfully, it already has for me, as I found myself rolling my eyes and groaning as the daughter jumped on Jensen when she saw him in the cabin and kissed him in front of Victoria. I suppose there's a lot of people hoping for a threesome or a harem or something of that nature, but I'm not one of them. I just want to choose Victoria, and the longer this gets dragged out, the less satisfying that choice will be.

We really should've been able to choose to avoid having sexual relations with some of these girls, especially since two of them are related. Seriously, what's Jensen going to say in the end if you choose Victoria? "Hey Vicky, I've finally decided that I like you a little bit more than everyone else. It was a tough choice, but after having your daughter suck me off in a movie theatre, I realized that you were the slightly better option."

That'll really sweep her off her feet, Eh?

I haven't played through the game while trying to pursue Nicky, so I don't know if her mother is similarly forced on you. However, I do know that you aren't allowed to reject the advances of Mei-Lin, and Nicky is heartbroken to see the two of you together on the couch, so I would assume that the players who only want Nicky have similar grievances with the lack of choices in the game. The main plot is entirely linear, so the limitations on the romance aspect of the game means we really don't have much to do in the game at all.
Dude Jensen is temporarily out of commission, I welcome the fact that we are getting breadcrumbs from the other plot points. I mean unless you want Jensen to become Wolverine over night and heal, or a timeskip, there is no story for him currently. I supposed @MrKnobb and his crew could have given us an update of Jensen bitching and moaning about how hurt he is while tossing and turning in bed... but 5-10 mins of the same render with texts telling us Jensen has an "owie" would get pretty bland very quickly...

• Haha
Reactions: RogueKnightUK
Dec 29, 2018
Dude Jensen is temporarily out of commission, I welcome the fact that we are getting breadcrumbs from the other plot points. I mean unless you want Jensen to become Wolverine over night and heal, or a timeskip, there is no story for him currently. I supposed @MrKnobb and his crew could have given us an update of Jensen bitching and moaning about how hurt he is while tossing and turning in bed... but 5-10 mins of the same render with texts telling us Jensen has an "owie" would get pretty bland very quickly...
Dude, Jensen is out of commission because the authors wanted to put Evaline in the spotlight. That's why Jensen runs out into the most obvious trap of all time. I'd rather they not pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 here and give us Raiden instead of Snake. I never said that I wanted to see Jensen slowly healing over time.

Reactions: Canto Forte

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Dude, Jensen is out of commission because the authors wanted to put Evaline in the spotlight. That's why Jensen runs out into the most obvious trap of all time. I'd rather they not pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 here and give us Raiden instead of Snake. I never said that I wanted to see Jensen slowly healing over time.
I liked Raiden... :(
Revengence >>> any MGS game so far...

Dec 29, 2018
I liked Raiden... :(
Revengence >>> any MGS game so far...
I've only played the first three, so all I remember about him was how surprised and disappointed I was to only play as Solid Snake for the first part of the game.

It's too early to tell if I won't like Evaline, but I haven't enjoyed the change so far because it feels like Evaline is stealing Jensen's thunder a bit. For example, she goes off and captures that guy Christian who was blackmailing Victoria. That was a loose end that I thought Jensen would tie up, because protecting Victoria from him was one of the things that brought them closer together. So now I'm just wondering what we are going to be allowed to do with Jensen.

That's not to say that they can't make a good game where they switch up things for a while, but I'm just confused as to why they wanted to switch things up and where they plan to take the game from here. But mostly I was just disappointed with how little there was for us to do since the game is mostly on rails.

Reactions: Canto Forte

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Jensen is not out... trust us on this. Episode 3 is going to shock a few I am sure.

I wanted to have a female prog in the game too for a bit as you said ot mix things up.
Yes it's on rails as it's a Virtual Novel and not a game as such with a choice of ending up wiht one girl at the end. But on the way there there will be sexual fun with many girls and Jensen will not always be involved...

I've only played the first three, so all I remember about him was how surprised and disappointed I was to only play as Solid Snake for the first part of the game.

It's too early to tell if I won't like Evaline, but I haven't enjoyed the change so far because it feels like Evaline is stealing Jensen's thunder a bit. For example, she goes off and captures that guy Christian who was blackmailing Victoria. That was a loose end that I thought Jensen would tie up, because protecting Victoria from him was one of the things that brought them closer together. So now I'm just wondering what we are going to be allowed to do with Jensen.

That's not to say that they can't make a good game where they switch up things for a while, but I'm just confused as to why they wanted to switch things up and where they plan to take the game from here. But mostly I was just disappointed with how little there was for us to do since the game is mostly on rails.

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
... on the way there there will be sexual fun with many girls and Jensen will not always be involved...
However, just an extra reminder that there will NOT be NTR in this story, at least in the true sense. That doesn't mean that girls he has some fun (but no relationship) with will never have sex again in their lifetimes. It also doesn't necessarily mean that girls you as a player want but Jensen can't be with will not at some point end up in a relationship with some other guy. :)

Rico Caramba

Game Developer
Dec 6, 2018
IIRC we saw Abigail having sex with another male already.

It's OK. Good to know that there is some competition possible for Jensen ;).

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Jensen is not out... trust us on this. Episode 3 is going to shock a few I am sure.

I wanted to have a female prog in the game too for a bit as you said ot mix things up.
Yes it's on rails as it's a Virtual Novel and not a game as such with a choice of ending up wiht one girl at the end. But on the way there there will be sexual fun with many girls and Jensen will not always be involved...
As long as those sex scenes are with characters we care about and make sense I have no problems...Otherwise its just gratuitous sex which I am not a big fan of to be honest...

Nikki x James ? sure why not, only on the route for those not pursuing Nikki though...
Mei Lin and Cynthia ? Im all for it, bonus points if Penny gets invited !
Evangeline x Nikki or Vicky ? kinda pushing, but I'd let it slide...
Poor Hooker Ring Girls x Bastard Mafiosos... not a big fan, but acceptable as part of the plot. (as long as its randoms with no names)
Adam x Anna... she did it once, whats to say she wouldnt do it again ? will hate the scene, but would understand why it "may" show up, and has precedent.
Mei Lin's parents banging...
Cynthia's parents banging...
Jensen's sister x Her Boyfriend (forgot both their names)...
Amber solo scene while thinking about daddy... kidding... maybe... probably not...
Amber x Andi... LOL ?

Things I would NOT like to see...

Evangeline X Black dude from Jensen's team.... just no... this is Liam x Rena levels of upsetting... making me dislike a male side character by pairing him up with someone out of his league, that he shares no chemistry with unless its "forced chemistry".

Yakuza x Me Lin .... if we arent gonna get to see her bang Jensen again, than I rather only see her in lesbian scenes, scarface asian while cool and bad-ass doesnt deserve to get his dick wet with her....

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
LOL @Rythan25 dont worry you all will like it... theres no cheating or NTR going to happen. All sex scenes will be consensual and willingly. The rape scenes obviously not but that is not sex that is rape and only to drive the story... not something i like doing more of anyway but all depending on where the story takes us.

Reactions: Rythan25

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
As long as those sex scenes are with characters we care about and make sense I have no problems...Otherwise its just gratuitous sex which I am not a big fan of to be honest...
Really? I love a bit of gratuitous sex ... but let's stick to talking about games and stories. :D

You don't have to worry too much about Stephan - this isn't one of those games where the only black guys in the story are there to threaten NTR or cuckolding. Stephan is happily married. If you see a scene with him naked in bed with someone then someone just made him answer a phone at night while in bed. :)

However, you left Vicky with Amber off your list. Come on now, think about it. We know Vicky hasn't been with a man in many years, and we know Amber is young enough to be Jensen's daughter, while Jensen himself is younger than Vicky (we were told right back at the start). Surely we have to wonder how someone as young and pretty as Amber somehow got such a prestigious job ...

I'm joking on that.

Probably. ;)

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Really? I love a bit of gratuitous sex ... but let's stick to talking about games and stories. :D

You don't have to worry too much about Stephan - this isn't one of those games where the only black guys in the story are there to threaten NTR or cuckolding. Stephan is happily married. If you see a scene with him naked in bed with someone then someone just made him answer a phone at night while in bed. :)

However, you left Vicky with Amber off your list. Come on now, think about it. We know Vicky hasn't been with a man in many years, and we know Amber is young enough to be Jensen's daughter, while Jensen himself is younger than Vicky (we were told right back at the start). Surely we have to wonder how someone as young and pretty as Amber somehow got such a prestigious job ...

I'm joking on that.

Probably. ;)
Thanks a lot for your answer it sets my mind at ease, as I like Stephen, fuck I like all of Jensen's team, they are come across as nice people doing god's work.

As for Amber and Vicky...I dont know... based on hotness that scene would rank 10/10 on fap-o-meter.. however it doesnt make much sense to me... Amber seems pretty competent to me unlike say... Nikki... I'd like to think she got her position on merit... as for Vicky he strikes me as others have said as more of "asexual" or "frigid / ice queen"... My guess is her dark secret most likely is going to involve brutal rape and sodomy which produced Nikki (hence why she has closed off). She barely registers men, but totally ignores women, her talking about how attractive Eva looked was the first time she mentioned something about another woman lol.

I'd actually see her let down her walls for Jensen's sister instead lol, would make more sense as some kind of "rehab exercises" to get her sexuality to open up again... some massaging at first, than tender kissing... then they are scissoring on the floor like mad women !!

How much older is Vicky than Jensen ? I thought it was a few years at most ? I honestly always believed Jensen is closer to Victoria than Nikki is close to him... something like

Victoria - 42
Jensen - 36
Nikki - 18

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Nicky is 19. Jensen's a little older than your estimate, but you're close, and the difference between Vicky and Jensen isn't much at all really - less than you thought there.

Obviously I won't spoil anything in regards to Vicky, but I will say that you'll learn a significant part of her story very, very soon, so you will not have too long to wait.

Sorry to rain on your Jessie/Vicky parade, but since Vicky is a client for counselling/therapy, that one wouldn't be too likely. :)

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Well.

It's been some time since I played this game. So backed up with games not played and just doing my work on the few games I'm "employed" on. BUT...I committed to the Knobby one that I would catch up with this, so I played it all from 0 to get the "feel" of it.

And now, my voluminous comments...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So, anyone who survived reading all of that, just imagine, I haven't even done my speculation spoiler yet! Make sure the fridge is stocked before reading that one!

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
You have much to learn of the ways, young padawan. Better you should study the path of Daz to complete your training and become...

...well, darn. I don't know what that would be...a 3D Knight?

Ignatz

Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Now, you are the master, I am the student.

3.80 star(s) 77 Votes