The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
See the Idea of the fixed time line is that if you went back and changed anything, it was because you were "Supposed to have done so" so if you go back, kill your grandfather and bang your gandmother, turns out you always were your mother's father. because time fixes itself and even if you change the pieces, time still plays out the same results.

Which is a time travel theory I absolutely hate.
It plays on the notion of predetermination, which is absolute shit. Any one of us has the power to make tomorrow different then the day before by just committing to a course of action. Some folks just hate that concept though because they have to realize the reason they are miserable isn't some "Plan" its just the consequence of their choices.

So far, we've seen little ripples in time, but then again, we have only changed little things.
The fact that "We" saved Jessica from being abortopunched though makes it seem like a fixed timeline and we've always done so which would give credence to the fixed timeline theory.

Also considering we are the "Mysterious Man" just older gives credence to the fact that this has all happened before. Hopefully though that is just us from the future trying to find where he "went wrong" in his attempt and is trying to do it right this time around.... not letting us see what Skyler sent us is probably one of those things...

Jestur.... GIVE ME MOOOOOAAAAR! -Grabby Hands-

Reactions: PervySageKem

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
See the Idea of the fixed time line is that if you went back and changed anything, it was because you were "Supposed to have done so" so if you go back, kill your grandfather and bang your gandmother, turns out you always were your mother's father. because time fixes itself and even if you change the pieces, time still plays out the same results.

It plays on the notion of predetermination, which is absolute shit. Any one of us has the power to make tomorrow different then the day before by just committing to a course of action. Some folks just hate that concept though because they have to realize the reason they are miserable isn't some "Plan" its just the consequence of their choices.

So far, we've seen little ripples in time, but then again, we have only changed little things.
The fact that "We" saved Jessica from being abortopunched though makes it seem like a fixed timeline and we've always done so which would give credence to the fixed timeline theory.

Also considering we are the "Mysterious Man" just older gives credence to the fact that this has all happened before. Hopefully though that is just us from the future trying to find where he "went wrong" in his attempt and is trying to do it right this time around.... not letting us see what Skyler sent us is probably one of those things...

I mean this is all probable.

I just see it more as these events being the divergence points. We may have done these before and that may have led to our current timeline. However, i get the feeling the MC isn't trying to go back to the current timeline and is going to be working toward a future timeline where there's more of a utopian ending than the current version.

Last edited:
Reactions: The ArcKnight

Bobink

Aug 27, 2017
At first I thought masked guy was the MC or MC's father (or both?), but I have now come to the realization that it is Brad. His research into shit ninja went too far.

Edit: Got the name wrong.

Last edited:

PervySageKem

Apr 12, 2020

I am of the same opinion. It seems like the Mystery Man is just older us, our Father is just older us, and the reason all the older versions of the characters we meet in the past are single for several years is because the older version of us is going to the past to help himself and can't stay with them (which is why one of them was so upset with us hanging out with her daughter, she knows it's actually our daughter aswell).

I don't really like that. It kinda means that version of us abandoned the girls from the present to be with the girls in the past... But will eventually abandon the girls from the past aswell.

I'm still holding on to hope that things aren't fixed and set. That we can have a different life from him, one where we don't abandon anyone and everyone can be happy in the end...

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021

Fixed Time (for the past) is the only thing that makes any sense though, simply because it already happened. Even if you went back, killed grampa, and banged grandma, and became your mothers father, nothing in your present would change. It had already happened, and had already been that way for your entire life. At best you would create a divergent point (multiple timelines) but your past has already been written, because it has already occurred, and you have already lived through it.

It isn't predetermination, it is still choice. You chose to go back, you chose to kill gramps, and you chose to get a booty call while you were there. That is where the timelines diverge though. In your timeline, whichever choices you made determine your past. If you chose not to go back, not to kill gramps (poor gramps) or not to bang granny, then different timelines flow from that point.

In one timeline you are your own grandfather, in the next your not, and in a third (where you killed gramps, but didn't bang granny) your grandfather was the mailman that comforted granny after her husbands funeral. One single choice created multiple different timelines.

Future time travel is where things get really screwy and confusing.

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
See I prefer the Austin Powers time travel logic. Don't worry about all that and just enjoy yourself. It's fiction, time travel is not real so making up rules about causality and loops and such just makes the story take a back seat to "realism" and logic. Just tell a story, if time can change cool, if it can't cool, if some things can and some things can't, cool. Just pick how you want time travel to work and make it consistent within the story. Or don't, hell, let it be all over the place with paradoxes and impossibilities. None of us are theoretically physicist, probably (maybe one or two are idk), so just don't worry about how time travel "works," and just enjoy the journey

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
time travel is not real
Actually it is, supposedly. You just need 2 colliding black holes and the ability to somehow survive between them, or so says Neil deGrasse Tyson. That's for backwards time travel anyway, forwards would also be possible, sort of. Again, super high gravity would likely be required since time flows slower the higher gravity is, so you'd be a squished little pancake and everything outside your "gravity bubble" would be flying forwards in time (actually moving at normal speed, but it would seem fast).

Or, you know, like you said, just say fuck it and leave "real" theoretical science out of it. :ROFLMAO:

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
There is also the theory if you had a ship that could fly around a blackhole and then go back to earth, you would end up in the future due to the time delay from being around the blackhole.

Or you know, "a little less thinking a little more fapping baby".

Reactions: Tavi13

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
Actually it is, supposedly. You just need 2 colliding black holes and the ability to somehow survive between them, or so says Neil deGrasse Tyson.
He's not the only one....Einstein & Hawking both theorized it as well, and I damn sure do not have the mathematical abilities to disprove any of their theories :)

Or, you know, like you said, just say fuck it and leave "real" theoretical science out of it. :ROFLMAO:
Yep; pretty much what I was planning on doing. I just need a good story, not a scientifically verifiable one!

Reactions: UnoriginalUserName

Mathesar

Mar 20, 2018
Going forward in time is easy. The closer to light speed you are, the faster everything around you will seem to move through time. You spend five minutes from your perspective, but everyone else ages five years. Even simple orbital satellites need to account for time dilation.

Going backward in time is the part that might not be possible. The math says you should start going backwards in time if you go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum (c), but approaching c is also an asymptotic curve for anything with positive mass; you can get infinitely close, but you can't reach it, to say nothing of going past it.

Wormholes are another option for time travel since they join two points in space-time. Space-time is curved, and there's nothing preventing two topographically distant points from being connected with a shortcut, like if you were to take a squishy ball and pinch two points together. The two points don't even need to exist in the same time period since time is essentially a fourth dimension of space.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: UnoriginalUserName

arbiter221

Jan 26, 2021
Going forward in time is easy. The closer to light speed you are, the faster everything around you will seem to move through time. You spend five minutes from your perspective, but everyone else ages five years. Even simple orbital satellites need to account for time dilation.

Going backward in time is the part that might not be possible. The math says you should start going backwards in time if you go faster than the speed of light in a vacuum (c), but approaching c is also an asymptotic curve for anything with positive mass; you can get infinitely close, but you can't reach it, to say nothing of going past it.

Wormholes are another option for time travel since they join two points in space-time. Space-time is curved, and there's nothing preventing two topographically distant points from being connected with a shortcut, like if you were to take a squishy ball and pinch two points together. The two points don't even need to exist in the same time period since time is essentially a fourth dimension of space.
Great name/PFP/post combo.

The ArcKnight

Nylon enthusiast, Harem enjoyer.
Donor
May 19, 2018
Nah, I'm more of a fan of dynamic timelines because it means the choices you make have consequences. Sometimes dire consequences. Spawning different time lines is stupid if you can just choose the best one with no consequences... kinda like a VN... Oh NO, I Found the Paradoxxxxxxx!

But seriously, the story would be more interesting if Older you is just lying to you about the fixed nature of time. Why is he Making Sure that you complete certain tasks if they are inevitable? He made sure you were there to save fetus Jessica. He smashed your phone so you couldn't see the text from Skyler. Even though the fixed timeline makes sense based on where the story is at the moment... I could easily see it actually being dynamic and Older you is trying to make sure certain things have to happen to "Try and get it right this time" He's obviously old and horribly scared, she's probably seen some shit. (Aka bad ends TM)

4.80 star(s) 294 Votes