Aech01

Feb 5, 2020
Do you know if it needs a restart? And thanks btw.
The way it looked its just coloring choices, didn't saw any other change of code or adding some kind of variables so it should work with saves i just started with the game so i couldn't test older saves sry

starkj

May 17, 2022
The way it looked its just coloring choices, didn't saw any other change of code or adding some kind of variables so it should work with saves i just started with the game so i couldn't test older saves sry
Ok this one seems to be correct, it says mother and sister even on the phone, good job.

Jestur

Nipples Dev
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2018
i wish there was an option to skip the animations, they really hog the cpu like crazy
Most animations are skippable except for intros and important ones. The animations run fine on my end but I know there are issues with renpy playing videos for some people. Which, that's all the animations are, video files. I don't know why renpy has trouble playing a video file. I do use longer videos than most games so maybe that's why? I'm going to do some research and see what I can find. Maybe I can find a way to temporarily preload them into local storage or RAM or something? I don't know.

Last edited:

starkj

May 17, 2022
:unsure:

No offense intended, but if you guys are having such serious animation and slow-down issues with this game, you really need to upgrade your potatoes...
Some people probably play on their laptops that are not intended for games, i for example play on both and this game on my laptop struggles with animations but on my gaming desktop it runs perfectly.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I personally didn't experience any lag during the animations, but I did notice that it was using a lot more cpu than other games.

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
Most of the time during animations cpu goes to 95-100% and over 60 degrees, there are plenty of other renpy games with high quality long animations where it doesnt go past 50% usage or 50 degrees.

Reactions: Joshua90 and botc76

Jestur

Nipples Dev
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 10, 2018
Most of the time during animations cpu goes to 95-100% and over 60 degrees, there are plenty of other renpy games with high quality long animations where it doesnt go past 50% usage or 50 degrees.
Well, I could bring down the animations to 30fps(lots of games do 30fps, especially Daz games) and drop the bitrate down to cater to lower-end hardware, but I like the high-quality animations. :cry: So I don't know if I want to change them. I'll try to drop the quality just a bit on the longer videos going forward and see if that helps.
Or just make a lite version of the game. I don't know.

Reactions: crustlord12

starkj

May 17, 2022
Well, I could bring down the animations to 30fps(lots of games do 30fps, especially Daz games) and drop the bitrate down to cater to lower-end hardware, but I like the high-quality animations. :cry: So I don't know if I want to change them. I'll try to drop the quality just a bit on the longer videos going forward and see if that helps.
I think the high quality animations at 60fps are perfect and i hope you dont change them, maybe if you can do 2 versions, one as is and other with 30fps animations for those who cant run the game that well, that if you can obviously.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
:unsure:

No offense intended, but if you guys are having such serious animation and slow-down issues with this game, you really need to upgrade your potatoes...
My rig is about two years old, and I always plan ahead, so I have no problems running new games on high settings, which means this game is nothing to it, but as someone who has been in the position to have an old machine and having a problem scrounging up the money to get a hardware update going, I find that remark very dismissive and ignorant.

Even if we aren't talking about people simply not having the money to buy a new rig, there are more issues than that.
People here are from all over the world, and we are having a resources' crisis thanks to the fucking Corona-Pandemic and related issues, who knows what type of hardware is available at the moment in a specific country?
Maybe you are using an old laptop, and new ones are frigging expensive right now? Who knows?
I mean, I live in Germany, a rich and highly-industrialized country, and yet getting a hold of the new generation of high-end GPUs has been a nightmare.
I considered updating my GPU and I just about gave up, because IF I found a place that had the card(s) I wanted, it had insanely high prices as well.

Last edited:

UnoriginalUserName

Engaged Member
Sep 3, 2017
My rig is about two years old, and I always plan ahead, so I have no problems running new games on high settings, so this game is nothing to it, but as someone who has been in the position to have an old machine and having a problem scrounging up the money to get a hardware update going, I find that remark very dismissive and ignorant.

Even if we aren't talking about people simply not having the money to buy a new rig, there are more issues than that.
People here are from all over the world, and we are having a resources' crisis thanks to the fucking Corona-Pandemic and related issues, who knows what type of hardware is available at the moment in a specific country?
Maybe you are using an old laptop, and new ones are frigging expensive right now? Who knows?
I mean, I live in Germany, a rich and highly-industrialized country, and yet getting a hold of the new generation of high-end GPUs has been a nightmare.
I considered updating my GPU and I just about gave up, because IF I found a place that had the card(s) I wanted, it had insanely high prices as well.
Ok, first of all, unclench, seriously.
Secondly, I'm running a 6 year old gaming PC with a 1080ti and I'm having no problems at all, so either you got your 2 year old PC in the bargain bin at the salvation army or it's extremely poorly optimized and needs updated video codecs/drivers or something.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I'm telling you guys, it's worth a replay! I worked hard on it.
I know most people don't like it, but I had to add in a lot of coding and new features that require a new game. I rewrote a lot of parts in ep1, and some scenes are completely redone. I made it a lot better.
I figured this all needed to be done sooner than later. I will be getting back to working on new content now with ep5.
I hope you all enjoy it!

Was actually wondering why a remaster was needed, I didn't have any issue with the quality of the first episode.
I was just afraid you planned to change content, so as not to offend certain "fans" of harem games, with very specific demands, if you are just updating the game due to your own demands, I'm not exactly a fan of it (as mentioned, I was perfectly fine with the original), but trust that you will not do something like that for frivolous reasons.
Here's hoping work on actual new story content will be going well and swiftly.

In a situation like this, I can see both your position and those of the people complaining.
You are you and your game isn't any of a dozen others, otoh, a lot of remasters/reboots/updates don't work out, and the games die.
Of course, if you needed changes to go forward with the game, it makes sense to do it now, even if in general my opinion is that one should only remaster early chapters, once you are actually done with the game or at least the specific episode/part of a longer game.
Like I said, both perspectives are valid, both can be right or wrong (wrong being a dev claiming such, but really just having lost direction), I just hope you understand that people getting riled up about the remaster are not really going against you, but against the ghosts of games which have died on them, due to remasters.

Some people trying to defend you, have been pretty insulting, and I get it, because if you like a game and its dev, you tend to be defensive, but for me "white knights" who go after anyone who dares criticize a game they love, are just as bad as those attacking devs on a personal levels, for often ridiculous reasons and with horrible accusations.

To end my somewhat disjointed rambling, I don't mind much replaying the game, as I haven't played it for a long time, and it's fun replaying, as long as it doesn't become a habit. :)

Phase_01

Nov 27, 2021
is there a way in renpy to code in a "low end hardware" setting for graphics? so players can toggle a 30fps lower bitrate video mode instead of having to change everything completely. Not sure if this would mean double the files, or if theres a way to downscale the 60fps videos locally for the player, but just a suggestion

Dunner

Aug 14, 2017
Good point. Now that you mention it, I assumed because he went back to 1999 that this was when it was set, but I forgot that when he contacted the power plant his father was not yet working there. And even if he got USB sticks very early in the technology, that would make sense for the advanced level of technology that a power plant of this type would be accustomed to handling. My apologies.
Oh no worries it happens to all of us. Tho it will be interesting to see what kind of USB we'll find since back then USB sticks were pretty primitive (compared to what we have now) so we might find one of those memory card ones.

crunchycake

Jun 3, 2020
um... when i have replayed the chapter 1 remake (0.4.5) recently, i realized Darci didn't teach MC self-defense moves before the MC try to intervene the dude during the shit-ninja incident... or did i miss something?

4.80 star(s) 294 Votes