Dec 11, 2021
It's strongly implied that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The first 2 points I actually also believe already...

The grandmother thing I don't understand.. I dont read much theories here so I might me not deep enough into this. I leave also still something to surprise me instead of guessing the whole plot already. :)

Regards

Jun 6, 2022
Point 1:
It just occurs to me that this is because of the patch then, because that's most definitely not a "stated fact" in the patched version.

In the patched version, the only thing stated is that Eric is an ex-boyfriend, and that he's angry.

Which makes it pretty fucked up that he tries to PUNCH HER IN THE GUT if he knows she is pregnant, in the unpatched version.

Last edited:

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
In the patched version, the only thing stated is that Eric is an ex-boyfriend, and that he's angry.
Unless something has changed, it is also stated in both versions that she is pregnant.

We have no idea if Eric actually knows or not, or if it is his, but the assumption/clue point to the answer being yes for both of those things.

Which makes it pretty fucked up that he tries to PUNCH HER IN THE GUT if he knows she is pregnant, in the unpatched version.
As fucked up as it is, he wouldn't be the first to try/do it.

Jun 6, 2022
Unless something has changed, it is also stated in both versions that she is pregnant.

We have no idea if Eric actually knows or not, or if it is his, but the assumption/clue point to the answer being yes for both of those things.
And?
Am I supposed to be worried that my daughter isn't mine now because my wife had ex-boyfriends? It's not even mentioned if Tiffany had sex with the ex-boyfriend, considering they're still fairly young here (and he's a douche), it's possible they didn't.

The only things mentioned are the following: Tiffany is pregnant, she has an ex-boyfriend. It doesn't mean the ex-boyfriend is the father.

Something else to consider, (though I haven't played without the patch): But if the game states, specifically, in the NON-patched version, that Eric is the father of Jessica, why go out of the way to NOT mention that in the Patched version? It's obviously to keep MC and Jessica as closely related as possible. It is the point of the patch. There's no mention of Jessica being a "half-sister", or something like that.

Last edited:

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
It's not even mentioned if Tiffany had sex with the ex-boyfriend, considering they're still fairly young here (and he's a douche), it's possible they didn't.
It is also possible she is the town bike, which is why Eric is pissed, but I'm not betting on it. Not sure what her/their age has to do with it; they are not so young that she couldn't get pregnant.

The only things mentioned are the following: Tiffany is pregnant, she has an ex-boyfriend. It doesn't mean the ex-boyfriend is the father.
What we know right now is: she is already pregnant when the mc arrives in '99 although not pregnant enough to be showing, neither Tiff or Jenny recognize the mc (I hope Tiff would recognize the mc if she got knocked up by him in the past few weeks), and Eric is pissed enough that he is willing to punch his ex/gf in the stomach. Pretty much adds up to him being the daddy.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
I do want to add one thing, and it is a bit late for edits....

There is a (very) slim chance that the mc & Jess have the same father, but I doubt it.

1- As far as the MC knows; dear old dad wasn't in town when Tiff gets pregnant. Obviously it is possible, the mc couldn't track him down when he was trying to find him in '99 and the story currently hasn't told us where he really was/is, but it would be a really weird thing for the mc's dad and Tiff to lie about.
2 - Supposedly the mc & his father look almost identical. When Tiff saw the mc, she didn't recognize him at all. Not even a moment of "is that??? Guess not". That leads me to believe she hasn't met dad yet.

Reactions: Ghostlyunknown

BartPS

Oct 21, 2020
I don't really think these are spoilers, but...
Probably not but I've had the experience myself of having stories spoiled for me, so I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Point 1: Correct, Eric is Jessica's dad and he was angry about the break up.
Well I don't think that's for certain, but I'd agree it's highly unlikely that Steven (MC's dad) is since they only moved to Riverside when the MC "was at a young age" so well after Jessica was conceived.

I don't think there is any inconsistency in the story without the incest patch.
Point 2: Both can be correct. MC was little and to him being in a relationship can mean being a "friend". Also, to avoid Riley the dad may of just said he was in a relationship, after all she is a bit on the crazy side.

Not really - The word "friend" appears both in the introduction and in the MC's inner monologue during the first breakfast scene. Yet later, when Riley says that she had started to fall in love with Steven, it is the MC that says: "My dad was with Tiffany. Was he cheating on her?" And Riley responds: "Oh no, I wish."

It's a small point and I guess you could say that we're just getting more detail on relationships as the story progresses. In any case, since several others have disputed Born for Burning's take on Point 1, I think I'll stay with the non-incest version - at least for now.

One thing that can be said is that the amount of intelligent discussion this story has spawned is a credit to Jestur, as well as the participants on this thread.

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
Ah, this recent discussion just reaffirms my view that time travel stories are inherently difficult to do well.

As to the point someone made about Darci's grandmother being Jenny or Jenny's mom. People seem to forget that Tiffany is Jenny's sister so how come she doesn't refer to her as mom or interact with her as her mother or why does she still mention that Jenny is gone if she is her sister? You would think she'd know her mom or sister or know Darci as being related to her and not just the MC's childhood friend.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Ah, this recent discussion just reaffirms my view that time travel stories are inherently difficult to do well.

As to the point someone made about Darci's grandmother being Jenny or Jenny's mom. People seem to forget that Tiffany is Jenny's sister so how come she doesn't refer to her as mom or interact with her as her mother or why does she still mention that Jenny is gone if she is her sister? You would think she'd know her mom or sister or know Darci as being related to her and not just the MC's childhood friend.
I think you're missing the fact that IF Darci's grandma is Tiffany's sister, she's clearly not TOLD anyone, and probably limited her interactions with any of her "future" family when she was (probably) trapped in the past. The real question is, is Darci's mom Jenny's daughter? Or is she the missing girl from 1999? Or is she both???

JaxMan

Apr 9, 2020
I think you're missing the fact that IF Darci's grandma is Tiffany's sister, she's clearly not TOLD anyone, and probably limited her interactions with any of her "future" family when she was (probably) trapped in the past. The real question is, is Darci's mom Jenny's daughter? Or is she the missing girl from 1999? Or is she both???
There is no way that Darci's mom is Jenny's daughter, there isn't enough time for that to happen. You're talking two generations in 20 years time. Darci was born in 2001, according to the game, so Jenny would have had to have a daughter (Darci's mom) at least 16 years before 2001, depending on when you want her pregnant. Neither the 1999 Jenny or a time traveling Jenny trapped in 1999 could do that.

Since the above is true, she can't be both. So that leaves the missing girl as Darci's mom.

I can see the dev wanting to make Jackie be time traveling Jenny, it would explain her openly being sexual and flirting with the MC, her similar look and video game playing, but the ages don't match up. Jackie is 61 according to the game, so she would have had to time travel when she was 41, but the power plant accident happen about 10 years ago. She would have time traveled in her early thirties at the latest since Jenny was as young as 19, but more likely 20 in 1999.

Plus, how would she become Darci's grandmother, Darci's mom would know her own mother. She just pops up out of the blue and says she's Darci's mom's mother? You have to figure Darci's mom's family was around in 1999 to put up the posters and they would know.

I'm sure the dev can fudge all these age and other discrepancies to make it fit his scenario if that's what he wants to do, but then the whole time travel logic is a mess.

Note: I keep using the term Darci's mom which is a bit awkward but I don't remember the character's name. lol

Reactions: Dunner

KanyeT

Mar 15, 2020
H

Hello Patrons!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day (or night). I also hope you all enjoyed the ep1 remaster. I know a lot of people wanted a new episode instead, but now that you have all played, maybe you can see some of my reasoning for doing it. Also, all the under-the-hood coding that no one will ever see. And now that we have that out of the way, it's time for episode 5! Personally, I'm really excited for this episode but we'll talk more about that in a minute. First, I want to thank you all for becoming a patron and say welcome to all the new patrons! Without you guys, I would probably be back working in IT, but now that Ripples has almost 900 patrons, I'm not that worried about continuing to work on this project full-time. That's right, almost 900 patrons across all platforms! Not to mention all the donations on Itch. It's hard for me to believe we're at almost 900 patrons. It's unreal. So I just wanted to thank you all one more time for your support. It really means a lot to me.

Okay, about episode 5. I'm really excited about episode 5. It's going to be a big update with lots of content. There will be more questions answered, a lot more character development, and the most of amount of gallery scenes than in any other episode. It's a jam-packed episode that going to bring us into the more important and more serious episode 6. These next two episodes will definitely be the best episodes so far in the story and I'm excited to bring them to life.

So after the public update came out, I took a much-needed break for a week or two. Played some video games, tried my hand at Daz renders, and relaxed a little, but in the past week or two, I have been writing and doing all the dialogue and coding and getting things ready for episode 5. So most of the progress is behind-the-scenes stuff. I did get started doing some renders and I'm about a quarter done with the first scene. Which is a really big scene. When I get more renders done I post some previews to the queen tier, but that's about it for now. Thanks again for the support!

- Jestur
Hoping we get another Darci scene!

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
There is no way that Darci's mom is Jenny's daughter, there isn't enough time for that to happen.
This, of course, assumes the initial "accident" only sent people back 20 years. Just because the current working machine (which we're told is going to be destroyed at the end of Chap 4, implying that for the story to continue there's others) seems to be locked into a 20-year "throwback" doesn't mean that's the only travel destination available to people in other ways. We'll just have to see how the new update changes things. Even if the MC isn't everyone's papa, he hasn't done everything implied just by people's reactions to him yet.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Dunner

Dunner

Aug 14, 2017
I'm all for theories but this one seems a bit too convoluted to be real. It could be but it's my personal belief that Jenny is OOFed and her return will be a pleasant surprise when we come back to 2019 (now or the next time) and find her home.

Her daughter is most likely the woman we CONVENIENTLY hear screaming (or April is the one screaming for the same reason IDK) before finding the secret passage into the PP and is working for the "Old Man" in the future together with April and presumably others.
I can see her being a time traveler but I don't see her as Jackie or Gabby the same way I don't see the MC being his own dad.

Nice theories but from what I saw in the game very unlikely.

BartPS

Oct 21, 2020
I'm all for theories but this one seems a bit too convoluted to be real. It could be but it's my personal belief that Jenny is OOFed and her return will be a pleasant surprise when we come back to 2019 (now or the next time) and find her home.

Her daughter is most likely the woman we CONVENIENTLY hear screaming (or April is the one screaming for the same reason IDK) before finding the secret passage into the PP and is working for the "Old Man" in the future together with April and presumably others.
I can see her being a time traveler but I don't see her as Jackie or Gabby the same way I don't see the MC being his own dad.

Nice theories but from what I saw in the game very unlikely.
Well, if you have seen the German series Dark, which was clearly a major inspiration for Ripples, having a convoluted plot is a massive understatement. Also, the mystery man describes the situation as: "a massively complex labyrinth that time has put together for us," concluding with "I can't tell you how all this works, but I can tell you that time doesn't like to be changed."

So I very much doubt that we will find Jenny alive after making a few minor adjustments back in 1999.

sageproduct

Mar 16, 2021
I don't see any conflicting relationship.

I don't really think these are spoilers, but...

Point 1:

Point 2:

Point 3:

So, I don't think there is any inconsistency in the story without the incest patch.
Exactly. Even if Dad didn't lie to Riley and truthfully said he and Tiffany were only friends, she - given her obsessive tendencies - could be the type to insist "they are close so he's taken".

For me, I don't think Dad and Tiffany were dating at all. If they were dating or in a sexual relationship, I don't think any ambiguity would be necessary, and Tiffany could have easily been introduced as Dad's girlfriend/lover.

I think they were just really close. They had a friendship that started somewhat flirtatiously, and Tiffany speaks of him as a dashing man just as anyone might describe him, man or woman.

Maybe if Dad didn't die, he and Tiffany would have ended up together, sure. But I really do think they were just friends, even if there might have been some tender feelings underneath.

Reactions: JaxMan

BartPS

Oct 21, 2020
Exactly. Even if Dad didn't lie to Riley and truthfully said he and Tiffany were only friends, she - given her obsessive tendencies - could be the type to insist "they are close so he's taken".

For me, I don't think Dad and Tiffany were dating at all. If they were dating or in a sexual relationship, I don't think any ambiguity would be necessary, and Tiffany could have easily been introduced as Dad's girlfriend/lover.

I think they were just really close. They had a friendship that started somewhat flirtatiously, and Tiffany speaks of him as a dashing man just as anyone might describe him, man or woman.

Maybe if Dad didn't die, he and Tiffany would have ended up together, sure. But I really do think they were just friends, even if there might have been some tender feelings underneath.
In that case, why does the MC say: "My dad was with Tiffany. Was he cheating on her?" when Riley reveals she was falling in love with him?

I guess it's possible that their relationship changed as a result of the MC's first visit to 1999. Come to think of it, the Mystery Man indicates that he wanted the MC to do various things so that he could observe the effects from the outside. Perhaps if someone is too close to the action, they will not be aware of the consequent changes to the timeline. So for the MC when he returned to 2019, it seemed that Steven and Tiffany had always been in a relationship.

Anyway, it's just another theory, but I'd also point out the name of the VN is Ripples suggesting that small, almost imperceptible changes to the timeline may well be clues.

Reactions: sageproduct
4.80 star(s) 294 Votes