4.20 star(s) 14 Votes

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
It's 50/50.

The way Patreon is setup is so that, in a broad sense, the more you donate each month, the more you are rewarded. Most creators have donation tiers (for this game it's bronze, silver, gold, etc.) which have certain rewards for each tier. Some creators give voting power for new things to be added to their game, Patreon exclusive posts, early access to game updates, sneak peaks at new content... the list goes on.

Then there are creators who also provide in-game bonuses to certain tiers for their Patrons. Almost like a "pay-to-win" feature. The developer of this game is one of those creators. This is meant to give the people who donate more of a reward/incentive to keep donating. Although there is a lot of debate on whether this is too much or not (as there are many popular devs who don't do in-game bonuses and are still extremely successful). It really just depends. A lot of people are willing to pay for those bonus features regardless of how some people view it.

Personally, I think if a game is good enough you don't really need to provide in-game bonuses, as there are MANY other great ways to reward Patrons without tampering with the gameplay itself. Plus, if you think of it like a monthly subscription, is a game like this really worth supporting for just a smidge of bonus content? Not really... The thing is that people will support you if they enjoy the game no matter what, so there isn't really a reason to add in-game bonuses that will make a lot of people upset other than simply trying to get more people to pay money to Patreon (as there will absolutely be people who ONLY pay on Patreon specifically for that small in-game bonus).

(mainly talking to the devs in this next part)
Think like a consumer for a second.... "This game is fun, but I have to pay for certain features in-game, which sucks..." Compared to, "This game is fun, and it has all this content for free?!!!? And I get bonuses if I help support them, like voting and sneak peeks??? sign me up!"
The difference here is that even if you ALSO give Patreon bonuses (voting, early release, sneak peaks, etc.) IN ADDITION to in-game Patreon exclusive content, you already have created a bad impression on someone just finding your game by telling them they need to pay for a portion of the content. You might as well sell it on itch.io if you want to do that.

Is it a little grimy? Yeah, kinda.
Does it rack up money? Yeah it definitely does. But if you're okay with the game being built like that, then by all means go for it. Just don't be upset when people scold you for it, as many people will dislike it and can lead to creating a bad reputation for the game.
We've tightened up things at our early days of development. It would not had survived as it was back then if I give everything away for free. I understand the internet enough that people will not give money unless you ask for it. Most people treat content like it's radio and television (which is funded by propagandist and big corporations). Indies like us don't have those deep pocketed backers. It's a matter of survival. So if we want exist, we either have to peddle our stuff or just do it out of passion. The latter requires being loaded and able to fund their projects by themselves, and I happen to be not one of those people. Compared to what used to be, RC is more generous now.

As for the price, mine is really cheap considering it's animated, not just a sequence of pngs. I've seen a lot of creators out there whose prices are too damn high for very less content. Some are even inactive for few months and come up with "meh" content. It's these kind of content creators that makes us look bad. Therefore "bad impression", so we need to push back. Why is it grimy to earn money from honest work? We work hard to create content, then all of a sudden if we earn some money from it we are demonized. I'm not guilty of the money, I give away what I'm willing to give away so it's only fair I also gain a little bit.

If I was a consumer who understood what the content's worth, hell yeah sign me up! It's a game with great art and awesomely animated hentai scenes, and developer is active, and it's really cheap ?! I will certainly support that creator as long as I have the means if I get exposed to it .

So everyone! support my work and be my minion :D

SonaraFox

Jul 6, 2017
s for the price, mine is really cheap considering it's animated, not just a sequence of pngs.
10 usd isn't that cheap to support a game that has exclusive content tied to it. Depending on the creator I'd drop that every few months but this game has been worked on since, what, 2014? Granted the early years were the bare bones thats still a lot of money to keep up with the current content since new things are silver exclusive.

Why is it grimy to earn money from honest work? We work hard to create content, then all of a sudden if we earn some money from it we are demonized.
It isn't grimy to earn money for your efforts but that doesn't mean you can't use scummy tactics or designs. Having to buy a game and then it has a premium currency that can't be earned for exclusive loot boxes or something, as an example. Exclusive content tied to a higher tier essentially becoming an advert for you to pay more for something you paid for comes off as distasteful. It's one thing as an artist to offer different levels of the same content based on price but its another thing as a game's design to lock out content completely when content is what drive's the game in the first place. It's less of a "reward" and more of a requirement if you want to experience the full game.

If I was a consumer who understood what the content's worth, hell yeah sign me up! It's a game with great art and awesomely animated hentai scenes, and developer is active, and it's really cheap ?! I will certainly support that creator as long as I have the means if I get exposed to it .
Now you're just jerking yourself off at this point, disregarding the paragraph where you point out how bad other content creators make you look. As a consumer a 10 usd buy in to a project with an 8 year history doesn't seem that good to me personally. Your art is unique for sure but there's plenty of other artists out there I feel like I'd get more bang for my buck for the same price from things like source files, higher resolutions, alt versions, etc, without having to slog through a buggy unpolished mess of a game. Relatively speaking theres smaller more compact games out there that could be more worth it just because they don't take nearly as long to finish and are more straight forward.

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
10 usd isn't that cheap to support a game that has exclusive content tied to it. Depending on the creator I'd drop that every few months but this game has been worked on since, what, 2014? Granted the early years were the bare bones thats still a lot of money to keep up with the current content since new things are silver exclusive.

It isn't grimy to earn money for your efforts but that doesn't mean you can't use scummy tactics or designs. Having to buy a game and then it has a premium currency that can't be earned for exclusive loot boxes or something, as an example. Exclusive content tied to a higher tier essentially becoming an advert for you to pay more for something you paid for comes off as distasteful. It's one thing as an artist to offer different levels of the same content based on price but its another thing as a game's design to lock out content completely when content is what drive's the game in the first place. It's less of a "reward" and more of a requirement if you want to experience the full game.

Now you're just jerking yourself off at this point, disregarding the paragraph where you point out how bad other content creators make you look. As a consumer a 10 usd buy in to a project with an 8 year history doesn't seem that good to me personally. Your art is unique for sure but there's plenty of other artists out there I feel like I'd get more bang for my buck for the same price from things like source files, higher resolutions, alt versions, etc, without having to slog through a buggy unpolished mess of a game. Relatively speaking theres smaller more compact games out there that could be more worth it just because they don't take nearly as long to finish and are more straight forward.
Well I'm guilty for taking too long to finish the game. But it's not like a VN that can be completed within months. Maybe there's a bunch of games out there with the same level of stuff RC does that is totally free and completely finished, I would like to see it. Name them for me I'll check it out.

Im not sure what this "premium currency" you referring to. Please be specific.

If it's these TTGCs that some are pissed about then people are not listening. We already added some of them in game for free. All of them will be added eventually. We're just giving silver patrons early access to them. No hentai is completely locked in game anymore. If you're not happy about that then, I can't please everybody. It's easy to judge us content creators when you don't have to go through what we have to go through to put things together.

IDK. Maybe I am a scum for rewarding silver patrons with early access to content that will become free eventually.

Last edited:

bwebrwkerw

Sep 23, 2017
Well I'm guilty for taking to long to finish the game. But it's not a VN that can be completed within months. Maybe there's a bunch of games out there with the same level of stuff RC does that is totally free and completely finished, I would like to see it. Name them for me I'll check it out.

Im not sure what this "premium currency" you referring to. Please be specific.

If it's these TTGCs that some are pissed about then people are not listening. We already added some of them in game for free. All of them will be added eventually. We're just giving silver patrons early access to them. Nothing is completely locked in game anymore. If you're not happy about that then, I can't please everybody. It's easy to judge us content creators when you don't have to go through what we have to go through to put things together.

Maybe I am a scum for rewarding silver patrons with early access to content that will become free eventually.
can you explain why you started to adding exclusive girl on some build??

did you know what this behavior will cause?....

if you want to "collect" each of the exclusive girl on a particular build you have to save each version of rougue courier exe.....!!
each one is like 1,16 GB (1.253.261.895 byte)

and don't tell me we also addin to gold patreon as a single scene!!! bullshit!!!!

i respect your work and respect the way are you surviving the world apocalypse!!!!
the thing i don't respect is the useless excuse to waste my HD data onto something you can compile without problem
and then adding a lock protection for silver/gold menber all in ONE DAMN rougue courier.EXE!!!!

take care bro! your work is still amazing! i like your art! but your choice suck!!!!!

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
can you explain why you started to adding exclusive girl on some build??

did you know what this behavior will cause?....

if you want to "collect" each of the exclusive girl on a particular build you have to save each version of rougue courier exe.....!!
each one is like 1,16 GB (1.253.261.895 byte)

and don't tell me we also addin to gold patreon as a single scene!!! bullshit!!!!

i respect your work and respect the way are you surviving the world apocalypse!!!!
the thing i don't respect is the useless excuse to waste my HD data onto something you can compile without problem
and then adding a lock protection for silver/gold menber all in ONE DAMN rougue courier.EXE!!!!

take care bro! your work is still amazing! i like your art! but your choice suck!!!!!
Nothing is "exclusive". Silver patrons only have early access. It's not exclusive to them.

I said this specifically "We already added some of them in game for free. All of them will be added eventually. We're just giving silver patrons early access to them. Nothing is completely locked in game anymore."

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
Right now we are working on a major update to the game and we couldn't add the remaining previous TTGCs on public build yet. We are a weak enemy man. Cut us some slack lol. You will get a build with all unlockable TTGCs but not right now.

bwebrwkerw

Sep 23, 2017
Nothing is "exclusive". Silver patrons only have early access. It's not exclusive to them.

I said this specifically "We already added some of them in game for free. All of them will be added eventually. We're just giving silver patrons early access to them. Nothing is completely locked in game anymore."
yeah ok maybe is ok for you....
but some people don't like the idea of the girl of the month....

this month we have xxxx.........oooook
the next month..............sorry the old girl have to do other thing in life so we give you this girl instead.....

HEY where we are at? we are not in real life.....!!!
people expect linear progressive cumulative update not something you can go ON and OFF as you please!!!!
or they will be discontented/pissed/displeased........

also i feel you are hiding something wen you said this "All of them will be added eventually"
this mean you are near the technical limitation of the current engine build/exe.....
you can only add tot number of things or the game will break.....this is the ONLY explaination

there is no shame in this....!!!!!
why this is a problem for you wen you just can split the game in part1 e part 2 like others developer do in the past.....

Right now we are working on a major update to the game and we couldn't add the remaining previous TTGCs on public build yet. We are a weak enemy man. Cut us some slack lol. You will get a build with all unlockable TTGCs but not right now.
so i was right......ok bro take care and good luck for that just wanted to know that this situation is just temporary !!!

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
yeah ok maybe is ok for you....
but some people don't like the idea of the girl of the month....

this month we have xxxx.........oooook
the next month..............sorry the old girl have to do other thing in life so we give you this girl instead.....

HEY where we are at? we are not in real life.....!!!
people expect linear progressive cumulative update not something you can go ON and OFF as you please!!!!
or they will be discontented/pissed/displeased........

also i feel you are hiding something wen you said this "All of them will be added eventually"
this mean you are near the technical limitation of the current engine build/exe.....
you can only add tot number of things or the game will break.....this is the ONLY explaination

there is no shame in this....!!!!!
why this is a problem for you wen you just can split the game in part1 e part 2 like others developer do in the past.....

so i was right......ok bro take care and good luck for that just wanted to know that this situation is just temporary !!!
TTGCs is not exactly RC content. I consider it as a filler for the most part while Me and PCG are "cooking" the actual RC content. It's not easy to "cook" so it takes a lot of effort and time. We couldn't afford to appear inactive while we're still "cooking" otherwise people think project is dead and they all go away. Infact it happened a lot of times in the past and I almost ditched this project as many times as you can imagine. Me and PCG are just passionate enough to continue developing this game despite all the the monstrocity that are still blocking our path. So I added TTGC to to fill a void. We had no choice, either we add it or call it quits. We chose the former.

I guess I made wrong choices here and there but I believe we made the RC experience a lot better now. We are fixing problems one at a time.

And for that, I am greatly thankful to all the patrons who kept us going. Their patience and support would have been in vain if we quit this.

Deleted member 1663167

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2019
We've tightened up things at our early days of development. It would not had survived as it was back then if I give everything away for free. I understand the internet enough that people will not give money unless you ask for it. Most people treat content like it's radio and television (which is funded by propagandist and big corporations). Indies like us don't have those deep pocketed backers. It's a matter of survival. So if we want exist, we either have to peddle our stuff or just do it out of passion. The latter requires being loaded and able to fund their projects by themselves, and I happen to be not one of those people. Compared to what used to be, RC is more generous now.

As for the price, mine is really cheap considering it's animated, not just a sequence of pngs. I've seen a lot of creators out there whose prices are too damn high for very less content. Some are even inactive for few months and come up with "meh" content. It's these kind of content creators that makes us look bad. Therefore "bad impression", so we need to push back. Why is it grimy to earn money from honest work? We work hard to create content, then all of a sudden if we earn some money from it we are demonized. I'm not guilty of the money, I give away what I'm willing to give away so it's only fair I also gain a little bit.

So everyone! support my work and be my minion :D
I understand why you made the design choices you did, and I'm not faulting you on it. Trust me, you're not the only developer to do it and I never said it was a bad philosophy to apply; I just said it was a little grimy.

The point I was trying to make originally was that if people enjoy your game (which CLEARLY many people do), they will support you, regardless of whatever benefits you give them. Your game is AMAZING. You've clearly built up a world with characters, story development, and amazingly animated H-Scenes. Because of how good it is, you don't need to add paywalls for in-game content, ESPECIALLY content that is paid monthly.
Look at a game developer like Taifun Riders. They made Space Paws (which is one of the most revered free indie dating sims) and are currently working on Shuggerlain, which plans to be even bigger. These guys spend MONTHS before releasing updates, but still manage to uphold a huge amount of Patrons. They use no form of in-game paywalls and are doing just fine living off of it. I mean, fuck it, copy their model or something similar, or do some research on other developers. There are many other devs whos games are much more inferior to yours in terms of quality, but are doing extremely well.

I truly understand what you mean when you say you have to peddle your stuff. It's rough in this industry, especially if you want to make a living. But I ultimately think you underestimated your own talent. You have a knack for this and are very good at it, there's no need to peddle your stuff out when the content you release is of this quality. You're hurting your own reputation when putting things like paywalls in your game, and you could have even MORE people support you. Instead of someone playing the game and saying "dude, I have to pay for some of this content? Fuck that", you create a healthier mindset when the game is JUST that... a normal game.

Yeah, it's a gamble, but... my brother in christ, you picked this field of work.

pinoytoons

Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
I understand why you made the design choices you did, and I'm not faulting you on it. Trust me, you're not the only developer to do it and I never said it was a bad philosophy to apply; I just said it was a little grimy.

The point I was trying to make originally was that if people enjoy your game (which CLEARLY many people do), they will support you, regardless of whatever benefits you give them. Your game is AMAZING. You've clearly built up a world with characters, story development, and amazingly animated H-Scenes. Because of how good it is, you don't need to add paywalls for in-game content, ESPECIALLY content that is paid monthly.
Look at a game developer like Taifun Riders. They made Space Paws (which is one of the most revered free indie dating sims) and are currently working on Shuggerlain, which plans to be even bigger. These guys spend MONTHS before releasing updates, but still manage to uphold a huge amount of Patrons. They use no form of in-game paywalls and are doing just fine living off of it. I mean, fuck it, copy their model or something similar, or do some research on other developers. There are many other devs whos games are much more inferior to yours in terms of quality, but are doing extremely well.

I truly understand what you mean when you say you have to peddle your stuff. It's rough in this industry, especially if you want to make a living. But I ultimately think you underestimated your own talent. You have a knack for this and are very good at it, there's no need to peddle your stuff out when the content you release is of this quality. You're hurting your own reputation when putting things like paywalls in your game, and you could have even MORE people support you. Instead of someone playing the game and saying "dude, I have to pay for some of this content? Fuck that", you create a healthier mindset when the game is JUST that... a normal game.

Yeah, it's a gamble, but... my brother in christ, you picked this field of work.
Actually the route you were pointing is what I did earlier. RC is suppose to be free. We gambled and it didn't work. I over estimated my talent and that was a mistake. As much I want to make RC free, RNG roll is a bitch :D. Not every one has a good roll. If what you're saying is true then I should had gained more support much earlier when it was totally free and I wouldn't have to be kinda grimy and apply these measures on game. Thing is, healthy mindset doesn't always pay content creator's needs on demand. It doesn't guarantee anything. I have to be real about it.

But we're slowly heading on the direction you're pointing.

Deleted member 1663167

Game Developer
Sep 22, 2019
Actually the route you were pointing is what I did earlier. RC is suppose to be free. We gambled and it didn't work. I over estimated my talent and that was a mistake. As much I want to make RC free, RNG roll is a bitch :D. Not every one has a good roll. If what you're saying is true then I should had gained more support much earlier when it was totally free and I wouldn't have to be kinda grimy and apply these measures on game. Thing is, healthy mindset doesn't always pay content creator's needs on demand. It doesn't guarantee anything. I have to be real about it.

But we're slowly heading on the direction you're pointing.
Ahh I see. Well, such is the life of a content creator in this field of work. Some times, things just don’t work out. I understand the grind regardless.

glad to hear that you’re trying to move in a better direction though! Still always happy to see progress no matter what!

• Red Heart
Reactions: pinoytoons

johndoe1545

Resident Head-Patters
Donor
May 5, 2017
I think current paywalling is pretty standard as it goes, only cheats and exclusive toro guest (with older ver getting port to game). Some stuff is unlocked from start (i hope this is not a bug). but hey, at least dev isnt wasting time trying to implement anti piracy which only to get cracked within minutes.

theassassine

Feb 4, 2021
is the Bio Pack Feature only available for patrons? if not how do you unlock them? I have prya's bio pack but it doesn't show the bio pack printer. i already completed the Blank Bio pack Quest

Uhhuhyup

Feb 15, 2018
I'd also like to know the answer to the above question. I've done the bio-pack sidequest and all of the main quests in the current public version (4.18). I already found two extra blank packs and the printer menu is just blank whenever I try. Is there some other requirement to use them I don't know about, or did I just waste my time?

Edit: Never mind. Turns out my RNG was just so bad that I kept finding blank ones and didn't realize you had to find specific ones for the characters. I did waste my time though as I fought my way to max level without finding a single one of the only pack I was interested in. It was like worse gacha. At least I'll be able to plow through future updates if I ever decide to play another one.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 14 Votes