3.20 star(s) 32 Votes

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
Anyone else having a "Missing LICENSE.txt" error when running the game in Joiplay on Android?

In case you're wondering why I'm using Joiplay, it's because the game crashes when using the SanchoMOD with the native android versions and I prefer to be able to delete the game between updates while keeping just the saves folder, which is no longer possible with installed apps unless they have a save location outside the android\data folder.

Note that the error happens both with and without the mod, and both the compressed and uncompressed versions.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/functionality/validity.rpy", line 7, in <module>
Exception: This copy of the game is missing the LICENSE.txt file, probably due to modding/compression.
This is not only illegal and disrespectful to the credited artists, it also breaks the game that relies on the file being present.
Please restore the LICENSE file for the game to work properly.
If your copy of the game came without the LICENSE file, please get in contact with the distributor of this copy and make them aware of the issue.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/functionality/validity.rpyc", line 1, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1133, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 1124, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "game/functionality/validity.rpy", line 7, in <module>
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 2788, in error
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 2765, in _error
Exception: This copy of the game is missing the LICENSE.txt file, probably due to modding/compression.
This is not only illegal and disrespectful to the credited artists, it also breaks the game that relies on the file being present.
Please restore the LICENSE file for the game to work properly.
If your copy of the game came without the LICENSE file, please get in contact with the distributor of this copy and make them aware of the issue.

Last edited:

nutka

Dec 30, 2022
Anyone else having a "Missing LICENSE.txt" error when running the game in Joiplay on Android?
you removed LICENSE.txt from the folder also containing the “game” folder and the executables. Why did you do this and why do you play without a valid (provided) license? :ROFLMAO: Obtain the LICENSE.txt from downloaded archive and place it there … if unable backup your saves delete the whole game and extract it again.

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
you removed LICENSE.txt from the folder also containing the “game” folder and the executables. Why did you do this and why do you play without a valid (provided) license? :ROFLMAO: Obtain the LICENSE.txt from downloaded archive and place it there … if unable to do delete the whole game (you have no saves I suppose) and extract it again.

The odd thing is that there are LICENSE.txt files in both the root game folder and the renpy folder, the game just isn't finding them or there needs to be one somewhere else.

nutka

Dec 30, 2022
well; it seems some magic stuff is happening which modifies your LICENSE.txt … delete … extract … analyse … repeat. There is only one LICENSE.txt …
who messed up? The downloader, the uploader, or some archive changer?

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
well; it seems some magic stuff is happening which modifies your LICENSE.txt … delete … extract … analyse … repeat. There is only one LICENSE.txt …
who messed up? The downloader, the uploader, or some archive changer?
Believe me, I've downloaded every version, extracted and re-extracted, modded and non-modded, compressed and uncompressed, same result every time. The only thing I can think of is there's an absolute file reference somewhere in the validity.rpyc file where the error originates?

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
The odd thing is that there are LICENSE.txt files in both the root game folder and the renpy folder, the game just isn't finding them or there needs to be one somewhere else.
If you go to Android, you need to move the file from the root folder (where the game and renpy folders are) to inside the game folder. That should hopefully work?

Zargon_games

Creating Games
Game Developer
Jan 22, 2020
If you go to Android, you need to move the file from the root folder (where the game and renpy folders are) to inside the game folder. That should hopefully work?
The problem isn't Android, the file is in the right place (this time I didn't forget to include it, haha). What happens here is that he's playing from an emulator inside Android (Joiplay), which must be making changes to the file structure and therefore can't find the license file.

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
Zargon_games Yes, that's what I understood. I suppose that because he uses a non Android build with the file in root folder, but the check is looking for it in the game folder because renpy might still recognize it's Android? If it's not that, I have no idea though. We do support the official releases, not emulations, compressed, etc.

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
Zargon_games Yes, that's what I understood. I suppose that because he uses a non Android build with the file in root folder, but the check is looking for it in the game folder because renpy might still recognize it's Android? If it's not that, I have no idea though. We do support the official releases, not emulations, compressed, etc.
You're correct. Once I copied the license file into the game sub-folder it works! Thanks for the troubleshooting suggestions guys!

I'm not sure why this is necessary. I've checked a few other games and none have the license in the game folder, just either the main folder with the exe or the renpy folder. Very odd occurrence...

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
Simple reason, the file is read (from my own code) as part of the About page, so the code needs to locate it. I put it in the root folder, and that worked until we created our first Android build, where renpy wouldn't include the file in the APK, so for Android, we moved it to the game folder and I changed the code to look for it there on Android.
Could we have put it into a different folder? Surely, but it worked like this and I think the renpy folder should be for Ren'Py internal stuff, not game related files. Could we have put it into the game folder for all builds, not just Android? Sure, but I prefer to have it in the root folder, as license files should be.
In the end, this works for all our official builds, but when you use the non Android build on Android, the game looks in a different folder and you get that error message (which is there because otherwise you get a way more cryptic error message, and also because people creating ports or compressed versions in the past dropped that file and as the error message reads, you're not supposed to do that for legal, moral and technical reasons.

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
Simple reason, the file is read (from my own code) as part of the About page, so the code needs to locate it. I put it in the root folder, and that worked until we created our first Android build, where renpy wouldn't include the file in the APK, so for Android, we moved it to the game folder and I changed the code to look for it there on Android.
Could we have put it into a different folder? Surely, but it worked like this and I think the renpy folder should be for Ren'Py internal stuff, not game related files. Could we have put it into the game folder for all builds, not just Android? Sure, but I prefer to have it in the root folder, as license files should be.
In the end, this works for all our official builds, but when you use the non Android build on Android, the game looks in a different folder and you get that error message (which is there because otherwise you get a way more cryptic error message, and also because people creating ports or compressed versions in the past dropped that file and as the error message reads, you're not supposed to do that for legal, moral and technical reasons.
Thanks for the clarification. I was mostly using Joiplay so I could also use the multi mod, but that crashes the game with Joiplay for whatever reason. The other main reason is that the android/data folder is locked and hidden on Android 14 so there's no way to back up saves any more, so games have to stay installed if you want to keep old saves. The solution, as with estrada777's port, is to use a save folder outside the data folder, but almost no devs do that, only the porters seems to do that.

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
Always happy to help. Any pointers as to what the problem with Sancho's mod is? Maybe Sancho or I can fix it?

About why devs don't do that, I've not been aware of this issue before, but it seems that Ren'Py doesn't support this so porters like estrada777 would need to use a special patched version of Ren'Py maybe?

Last edited:

armonvargett

Dec 22, 2018
Always happy to help. Any pointers as to what the problem with Sancho's mod is? Maybe Sancho or I can fix it?

About why devs don't do that, I've not been aware of this issue before, but it seems that Ren'Py doesn't support this so porters like estrada777 would need to use a special patched version of Ren'Py maybe?
Not really, it just tries to load for about 10 seconds then crashes. There's not really anything in the log to speak of:

Code:
Thu Jan  4 17:26:59 2024
Unknown platform.
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707

Bootstrap to the start of init.init. took 0.00s
Manufacturer samsung model SM-T870
Screen diagonal is 8.752107506946473 inches.
Version: Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Early init. took 0.05s
Early init. took 0.05s
Android search paths: /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/game /data/data/cyou.joiplay.renpy/files/private/game /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/extras
Loaded 6 patches
Loader init. took 0.43s
Loader init. took 0.43s
Loading error handling. took 0.09s
Loading script. took 2.98s
Saving to /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/game/saves
Saving to /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/game/saves
Loading save slot metadata. took 0.14s
Loading persistent. took 0.00s

malsbgt

Nov 3, 2023
FInally Vanessa show up.. the best game with many unique character..

1. Vanessa
-long black hair
-exotic skin
-shaved
-average boob size
-romantic character
-fit body size

2. Helen
-flat chest
-blond
-beautiful eyes
-shaved
-skinny

3. Chatherine
-nice average boob (not firm)
-blond
-play girl character

4. Anne
-Red hair
-Hairy pussy red hair
-Fair boob size
-medium body size

5. Charlotte
-blond
-sexy
-shaved
-beautiful face

6. Katie
-Brunette
-Skinny
-Small tits
-Shaved
-The most cute face

7. Rachel
-Chubby
-Fair boob size
-red hair
-caring character
-shy character

8. Susan
-Pony tail
-Hairy
-Mature character
-fit body size

Reactions: Zargon_games

Lord Bradley

May 28, 2019
Anne :love:

Will keep my eye out for further updates of this game, it has a unique theme with coherent text and beautiful characters/environment - recipe for success! Really hope to see Anne pregnant somewhere down the line like in fantasy MC had... and if the kid turns out neither Stuart's or MC's as a surprise it would be extremely hot :p

P.S. Thanks to Sancho1969 for mod to keep the gameplay relaxed and fulfilled! <3

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Not really, it just tries to load for about 10 seconds then crashes. There's not really anything in the log to speak of:

Code:
Thu Jan  4 17:26:59 2024
Unknown platform.
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707

Manufacturer samsung model SM-T870
Screen diagonal is 8.752107506946473 inches.
Version: Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Early init. took 0.05s
Early init. took 0.05s
Android search paths: /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/game /data/data/cyou.joiplay.renpy/files/private/game /storage/emulated/0/Download/MEGA Downloads/joiplay/RoveringToSussex/extras
Loaded 6 patches
Loader init. took 0.43s
Loader init. took 0.43s
No SanchoMod is 'droid compatible (as of Core v7+). JoiPlay is not an option since it does not emulate an operating system as noted on the main page of their website:
1705535114551.png
SanchoMod uses custom API's... this can be handled proper by Win/Mac/Linux. Android has been and always will be behind this curve since goooogle refuses to support API's at all. So, blame your chosen operating system for the failure. It is an inferior OS tbh. If you wish to play on a handheld then use one that fully supports or 100% emulates one of the big 3, which includes devices like Steam Deck, ROG Ally, etc. I can personally confirm it works on both those devices, the former being a Linux base and the latter being a Win base unit.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
So, I wasn't able to unlock the Peter-Charlotte flashback scene in this last update and I can't understand why. What am I supposed to do? what am I missing?

Reactions: MikeOG

reflexbound

Game Developer
Feb 28, 2020
Ottoeight Probably not good enough relation with both of them? Easiest way to get the scene should be to get their scene at the camp, show yourself to them and be allowed to watch (if you aren't, you're relation is already too low at that point). Depending on whether you're missing points with Charlotte or Peter, it's better to text her first or invite him directly, respectively.

Reactions: Ottoeight
3.20 star(s) 32 Votes