jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
after I started the journey It's alway bug every time when mc talk.
Exception: Sayer i is not a function or string.
Then after i arrived a new village the bug isn't dissappear. It's almost alway come when the mc talk.

Here's Example

Full traceback:
File "game/dewsberry.rpy", line 3998, in script
i fee1 "(SNORE... SNORE...)"
File "E:\New folder\x64\2\Runaway Princess\RunawayPrincess-0.3-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 685, in execute
raise Exception("Sayer %s is not a function or string." % self.who.encode("utf-8"))
Exception: Sayer i is not a function or string.

sorry for my bad ENG hope you unterstand
I've start new game on 0.3
Happens because "i" gets redefined to something else and is not a Character.
Code:
script.rpy
define i = Character("[povname]", image="player")

encounter.rpy
$ i = 0
To make it more futureproof changing Character i to mc to hopefully prevent this getting accidentally overwritten again.

Changed define i = Character("[povname]", image="player") to define mc = Character("[povname]", image="player")

Changed i [emotion] " to mc [emotion] "

Ran Check Script (Lint) to see if I missed anything and it found this instead
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hope this helps Mobum, also consider "i" tends to be shorthand for iteration and is commonly used in loops.

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
Also it would be really great if these stories allowed one of the most common human greeting around - the hug and a kiss, on cheek for friendly , and on the mouth for intimate - does not need to come with french tongue etc....

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
1. she's not sister (unless it got changed in 0.3) but he thinks she is like his sister
2. no sex (unless changed in 0.3 which i doubt)
It's been quite awhile since I've played but had a question or two.
Isn't Elly the MC's twin? I know this has prob been beat to death, but I read a few pages and didn't see any responses. I remember when I played it through I thought she was and I spent a lot of time on her with no rewards so the next play through I just ignored her. So then who are the twins?

There's talk of two current versions of the game available?
V.0-3 BETA and V.3 (I guess).

One is supposedly buggy and the other not. So is V.3 non beta for patreon subscribers?
If so, will they fix the bugs for the version here?

Thanks muchly
Cheers

megamanx06

Mar 13, 2019
Do you leave the town on a specific day? I seem to be having the opposite problem from most people where I have TOO MUCH time and can't seem to progress the story. Every time I ask the elf when we are leaving she just says we have plenty of time left.
Edit: Just got it on day 30, asked her in the morning and she said we're leaving at 10 AM lol. No idea if day 30 is the magic number or if there was something I did that triggered it though

Last edited:
Reactions: lowcody

darkz001

Dec 20, 2020
Code:
script.rpy

encounter.rpy
$ i = 0
To make it more futureproof changing Character i to mc to hopefully prevent this getting accidentally overwritten again.

Changed define i = Character("[povname]", image="player") to define mc = Character("[povname]", image="player")

Hope this helps Mobum, also consider "i" tends to be shorthand for iteration and is commonly used in loops.
Oh Thanks that really helpful.

Reactions: jadih96207

Mobum

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Code:
script.rpy

encounter.rpy
$ i = 0

I have been thinking that variables in screen language are considered "local", but it obviously isn't.. I wonder why I didn't encounter that problem even once, though I test-played the game from the start to end several times! Yeah, changing character to mc seems to be the ultimate solution, even though some people may complain that they have to restart the again.. :(

Thanks for doing this, I'll reflect this change into 0.3 final!
PS- And as for ridiculously long lint report- most of them are graphic files I used, but saved for later version. I just don't want to declare them again later, especially animations!

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
I really need to know if the crap I just ran into is going to be a constant in this game because if it is I'll stop playing this right now - I'm at the lake with Elly 3rd time she jumps off the rock and loses her top - I apparently have 2 choices 1st one says ntr warning but the 2nd just says call me sir, so I obviously choose the 2nd, but after what seems really long stupid exchange she runs away and see's some men coming and hides - Randy the ass appears behind her and gropes her - suddenly she's with me again by the lake and her corruption goes up and of course 2 options one to run home with her this time - What the hell is all this about, either you are nice to her or not - if you are you would give her the top maybe after one tease but then let her dress back up and get home - why all the crap with Randy etc... can\t be avoided - unless you never take her there again which seems really dumb

Sep 7, 2020
restarting is easiest.

sounds bug so wait 0.3full.

i'm sure.

yes but that's why cheat to get more time was posted pages ago.

using old or new save? if old restart, if new then game bugged.
Yea i just downloaded it yesterday so i guess its bugged dang.... i was enjoying it so far

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
I have been thinking that variables in screen language are considered "local", but it obviously isn't.. I wonder why I didn't encounter that problem even once, though I test-played the game from the start to end several times!
Sadly Ren'Py has a hard time with variable consistency.
One might think works as constants while is for variables however a defined variable will become save dependent if it's changed in code.

There is " " that does more but renpytom does say this can get confusing.

Yeah, changing character to mc seems to be the ultimate solution, even though some people may complain that they have to restart the again.. :(
Why do they have to restart again? Was there some other issue as the code I did to fix it is mostly plug & play :) Both "define" and "default" offer save compatibility it's just a difference between how they go about doing it as define will present a value until it's changed while default will insert a value if it's not present.

If you're worried about someone saving right on a line the MC says then you could leave an update note about saving in a "safe" location.

There is also the special label "after_load" which allows you a chance to correct things when a save is loaded.

Thanks for doing this, I'll reflect this change into 0.3 final!
You're welcome!

PS- And as for ridiculously long lint report- most of them are graphic files I used, but saved for later version. I just don't want to declare them again later, especially animations!
I figured that was the case though that report can be a useful developer tool as it looks for various other issues as well. Mostly I wanted to see if any Character wasn't defined as I was changing that out :geek:

Another useful tool is
https://f95zone.to/threads/winmerge-a-very-useful-tool-for-renpy-etc-modders.19810/
Still I'm not sure if you want to actually review all 1,000+ lines of code that were changed in my mass search and replace :LOL:

Last edited:

trolger

Dec 8, 2020
Code:
script.rpy

encounter.rpy
$ i = 0

thank you very much!

Reactions: jadih96207

Forgotted

Sep 1, 2020
Thanks Rolo and CXX,

Wasn't trying to raise a stink or be ugly. Just genuinely curious.

Reactions: Rolo

Valamyr

Oct 7, 2020
This game really needs a quest log and clear explanations of triggers before major events can proceed. While quests are announced, key details like the fact the main plot won't advance until you finish every romance side quest remains unwritten. So I spent a very very long time messing around trying to figure out NPC schedules and such before the Elf arrived, and even longer before we got to leave. At least I racked in 20K coins worth of fish and meat so I should be set for awhile :p

The elf is finally willing to leave for the first town in my game. For the elf to show up I had to finish training with both the warrior and the thief, and to get to depart, view every lake scene with the merchant and finish the romance with the older single woman. Since I didn't progress lake scenes enough I got delayed substantially. Since I know the triggers now, I could probably do it in a tenth of the time it took. A good quest log is really important for this kind of game. And learning the NPC's schedules is critical too, and takes awhile.

Still, had fun anyway and I guess there might still be a lot of content left; not sure!

Reactions: Rolo and Qoo-Rilla

Valamyr

Oct 7, 2020
Yeah, I spent so much time in the initial village / prologue that I'm equipped to the teeth and rich already haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Rolo

chuangshiren

Aug 4, 2018
I haven't met the princess (didn't know that I have to go to the pond to meet her) and now I'm at day 11. Can I still meet the princess? Or do I have to change the day counter to <4?
Please help. Thanks.

Levian

Mar 9, 2018
I haven't met the princess (didn't know that I have to go to the pond to meet her) and now I'm at day 11. Can I still meet the princess? Or do I have to change the day counter to <4?
Please help. Thanks.
The princess arrives at day 14 so no worries.

4.30 star(s) 35 Votes