VN RPGM Onhold Saria Reclaimed [v0.17] [Velminth]

2.40 star(s) 158 Votes

FTFaceless

Jan 9, 2023
Yeah, I saw that post. Was hoping for more. It really doesn't scream a pattern of unwilling to accept criticism to me (I was expecting massive ban waves or him flipping out). It only looks like he doesn't want to cede any development decisions to his fans. As the first couple of comments when the new version dropped have stated, he is not making this for the money. He clearly cares very little about the game's financial success.
Perhaps it is purely a pursuit of passion
And that's why he putted it on Patreon in the first place... yeee, sounds logical.

Marlin Brandy

Aug 18, 2018
And that's why he putted it on Patreon in the first place... yeee, sounds logical.
My guy, his patreon was created for his art in general. If you go to his about page there, it hints that it has at least existed since 2019. The game was first released in 2022. The patreon is not for the game. And seeing as he's willing to make these kinds of radical unpopular changes, clearly patreon income from the game is not a priority.
You can want to pursue a passion free from the financial motive but still appreciate people throwing dollars your way. They are not mutually exclusive.

FTFaceless

Jan 9, 2023
My guy, his patreon was created for his art in general. If you go to his about page there, it hints that it has at least existed since 2019. The game was first released in 2022. The patreon is not for the game. And seeing as he's willing to make these kinds of radical unpopular changes, clearly patreon income from the game is not a priority.
You can want to pursue a passion free from the financial motive but still appreciate people throwing dollars your way. They are not mutually exclusive.
Whatever... still he could just left a legacy version for download without saying anything stupid.

Reactions: fraazx

seventhsword

Apr 30, 2018
constantly shit talk f95 in merchant chat and everywhere else
This is basically 100% confirmation that he DOES read this thread.

The real core of the issue is not that he changed the game from an RPG into a VN. It is that he changed it into a really SHITTY VN. As someone who is avid fan of the genre, his work is even below straight up nukige with paper thin plot. It's not just trash, it really is just that insultingly bad. The card system makes zero sense and the AI can straight up one shot you before you even get a turn sometimes. There's half baked and then there's "I didn't even remove the ingredients from the packaging before throwing raw steak into a microwave." I don't get how anyone can dick ride hard enough to defend 0.16 at all.

moonlightking

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, I saw that post. Was hoping for more. It really doesn't scream a pattern of unwilling to accept criticism to me (I was expecting massive ban waves or him flipping out). It only looks like he doesn't want to cede any development decisions to his fans. As the first couple of comments when the new version dropped have stated, he is not making this for the money. He clearly cares very little about the game's financial success.
He banned many people, blocked the comments on itchio and said on their discord to "leave f95 shit to where it belongs", eventhough he was more than happy to post the updates themselves up until now.

I am not saying it is not a passion project but he has changed his "passion" two times in a row in a span of a few months, and is taking zero consideration on the people who paid him to support the game. A simple heads up would have worked wonders, he simply decided to scrap everything out of nowhere without telling their patreons (who wasted many months worth of suscription only to see the game they supported has dissapeared).

BonkToHJail

May 21, 2022
This is basically 100% confirmation that he DOES read this thread.

The real core of the issue is not that he changed the game from an RPG into a VN. It is that he changed it into a really SHITTY VN. As someone who is avid fan of the genre, his work is even below straight up nukige with paper thin plot. It's not just trash, it really is just that insultingly bad. The card system makes zero sense and the AI can straight up one shot you before you even get a turn sometimes. There's half baked and then there's "I didn't even remove the ingredients from the packaging before throwing raw steak into a microwave." I don't get how anyone can dick ride hard enough to defend 0.16 at all.
Its like Rock Paper Siscors (But in RPS - Paper beats Rock, not Paper itself)
As i get it if enemy attacks you with Slash you want to be in any stance but Slash stance cuz with it you will get x2 dmg, while with others its x1 and 0.5 [Slash>Peirece>Blunt>Slash]
But since there is no neutral stance in which you get x1 only and no lvl up or gears to get def or hp stats, its becomes BS card game where the is no tactics but HOPE & LUCK.
Its terrible idea to make ONE-SHOT attacks (either by buffs/debuffs or not) with "placement RNG" (Who will attack first in next turn) and Stats RNG (How much dmg you will deal form 1-5 or EVA/HEAL get) in same battle, cuz every time you must just hope and pray that after you pick two healing moves cuz your HP is fuckin 1 you will get at least one good heal and won't be followed by attack which will deal more dmg than you have healed or have in general (10dmg = death).

shundi82

Sep 7, 2022
Got any more?
Before I add to the list, just a quick heads up:
There are a ton of games, that are in the vicinity of all the mentioned games, that I like, but might feel too far removed from something like Karryn's Prison, ergo games like Caliross, Liz, Claire's Quest, The Agnietta, Naked Ambition, The Queendom of Lithzena etc., then there are the tons of pretty good games, that just get too samey too quickly for my taste - or that can only be found in the Translation part of F95 for a reason :p):

Light-Space Love (it's still not very content rich and long in the tooth, but it's Karryn's ambitions are clear):
https://f95zone.to/threads/light-space-love-v0-43-halftilt.127735/

Succulence (play it for some time and you'll see, why it's not just a simple "Find the CGs" game, but goes pretty wide + deep):
https://f95zone.to/threads/succulence-v2-5-ae-r-nest.6339/

Magical Girl Celesphonia (try its CN Mod, if you liked the Vanilla experience):
https://f95zone.to/threads/magical-girl-celesphonia-v1-07-shimobashira-workshop-kagura-games.116302/

Sarah of the Rotation Cut:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rj155863-sarah-of-the-rotation-cut-v2-2-1-translation-v2-3-5.7676/

Corruption Town (kinda like Karryn's Bar mini game with some story attached):
https://f95zone.to/threads/corruption-town-v0-3g-boredbasmati.168818/

Succum Brewery (same as above, but with a few more light RPG elements; I really like it, but it still has a long way to go):
https://f95zone.to/threads/succum-brewery-v0-2-9-6a-limejuicegames.134566/

Mature Quest (it's intentionally old school and kinda long in the tooth, but it's got the right idea):
https://f95zone.to/threads/mature-quest-v1-1-t-soft.1214/

Star Knightess Aura (one of the games I've supported via Patreon. It's really great in its tech, its mechanics and its RPG elements - I'm just not a fan of its type of corruption - not because it's slow and sparse, which doesn't bother me - but because I don't like turning the protag into a dummy):
https://f95zone.to/threads/star-knightess-aura-v0-38-0-aura-dev.76764/

Ashley the Pirate (it's a tad stale for me, but a lot of people seem to really like it):
https://f95zone.to/threads/ashley-the-pirate-v0-5-0-1-yioruyioru.58083/

One last addition:
Some of these games really benefit from realtime upscaling with something like Magpie (I like to combo Anime4K UL + Jinc, don't forget to change the preset accordingly and then set it as the default):

Last edited:

HikkiG

Dec 12, 2020
Go to his profile posts for F95, if they are not deleted, where he starts replying to everyone and calling them piss-babies and all that. That or hang out in the fast chat.

Reactions: Marlin Brandy

PinkyFoa

Sep 29, 2018
This release with his attitude toward patrons made me cancel my subscription to him. I understand he wants to make his own game and doesn't want to shackle himself to the will of patrons but he is rude and obnoxious and his game is no longer good. Zero reason to stick around. Was funding it before just because I loved the game and world design. This "update" closed off the entire game world and reduced it to a menu. Old music is gone from what I can see and the old scenes that you had to explore to find are just the next thing you get to unlock when you get to a new "level."

Ironclad

Jun 10, 2018
I've been fairly critical of the changes, but I'll acknowledge some improvements. Mainly trying to find justifications for the changes, and where to go from here. While I find pixelart charming, the reduced fidelity puts more emphasis on strong character design and posing which is a lot for a first time indie dev. Also it's a hard balance between dark tone and cartoonish. Even acclaimed titles like Lisa struggle with it. Development was pretty sluggish before this, and Vel is clearly more comfortable with his cg artstyle than pixel art. He wasn't really doing anything with level design, and the different zones were fairly random in how they were connected. I did still enjoy the sense of exploration which I miss in this linear progression. If everything is going to be this art style, then I think Saria's character profile should at least match the tenet outfit. I have an idea so you don't need to redraw all the other assets I'll explain later. Now that it's a VN, conditionals and branching narrative are easier than ever. Corruption can be as simple as a single value affected by cutscene choices. Give dialogue a neutral, corrupt, and "chaste" version. Give some consequence to being too corrupt or being too much of a prude. If you're feeling generous make tenet specific cutscenes. Clearly at some point you changed your mind on Saria being a mercenary to a samurai and it's been divisive. Why not keep the backstory options and character creation? There's that completely unexplained samurai outfit that appears in the tenet selection. Let players choose which outfit to start with based on the character creation!

Character progression, leveling, items, combat, and corruption have all never worked. There just aren't enough encounters for leveling. You could implement a hub, zones, and random encounters like CoC without a bunch of new assets, but he's struggling with just finishing linear progression as is so let's move on. The stamina, off-guard, endurance, will, clothes, health, and tenet mechanics were all a mess, and what triggers enemies into doing lewd attacks is too random. Never ending fights was a big flaw in previous versions as well. It's never been clear what Vel wanted to do with corruption. Is it just another health meter when you're stripped? Is being stripped supposed to be a toggle for the adult content? Is it an alternative to physical attacks like mental/magic? I love the idea of corruption, but it was way too slow to be used without serious grinding in the earlier versions. The body part breakdown was also way too complicated and random. There needs to be a tutorial section or a little dialogue showing Saria can't get out of every fight with brawn alone, and she may need to use her other assets. This should at least be the 2nd encounter and give you a starting corruption/lewd card. It's also a good chance to introduce the tenet system as Saria literally steals the clothes off the roughnecks back while interrogating them and figuring out how she's going to sneak into their hideout. Makes the dialogue more believable too.

I think there should be a single health bar and maybe an excitement bar that builds up with each turn which limits how long fights can last and keep it consistent for Saria and enemies. With an excitement bar, using corruption/lewd cards could require a baseline level of excitement so you can't spam them at the start of a fight and you have an idea when lewd attacks will start appearing from enemies. Once excitement is maxed it could cause stance bypassing damage and reset. This means gameplay isn't a binary between combat and lewd, and it doesn't trap you the way sensitivity did previously. With a single health meter for Saria and enemies, lewd cards are a high risk/high damage moves that can greatly weaken/damage enemies but also increase excitement further, limiting when they can be used. I would make it more streamlined how torn clothes, the tenet system, and cards work as well. You can begin a fight with a set of clothes/tenet on or off. Clothes tear at fixed health percentages and increase the rate excitement builds up each turn. You can't mix and match tenets and cards. Most cards should be tenet specific and different tenets should have baseline excitement levels, you know sexy outfits. This means you don't need to redraw every card for each tenet combination. When you're naked you no longer have access to tenet cards, but a baseline excitement level giving you constant access to lewd attacks for glass cannon gameplay.

But what about deck building? It's a balancing nightmare and you're already spinning so many plates. If you want customizable decks, I'd get rid of tenets, fetishes, stances, stats and all other mechanics entirely and do a pure cardgame like hearthstone. Everything is just cards you find/unlock. You have a turn, your enemy has a turn, you can only play cards in your hand and only what your pool allows. Maybe make tenet a field card and you can only use one in each deck. Your character creation gives you a single unique tenet card, and it also decides your character profile.

Finally all of this could have been ok if Vel was less defensive and more forthcoming. He had months to tell backers he wants to/needs to change direction. He could still win people back if he just communicates.
Doesn't want to shackle himself to the will of patrons
Well it's an awful lot to ask for their money then.

Last edited:

Ironclad

Jun 10, 2018
Its like Rock Paper Siscors (But in RPS - Paper beats Rock, not Paper itself)
As i get it if enemy attacks you with Slash you want to be in any stance but Slash stance cuz with it you will get x2 dmg, while with others its x1 and 0.5 [Slash>Peirece>Blunt>Slash]
But since there is no neutral stance in which you get x1 only and no lvl up or gears to get def or hp stats, its becomes BS card game where the is no tactics but HOPE & LUCK.
Its terrible idea to make ONE-SHOT attacks (either by buffs/debuffs or not) with "placement RNG" (Who will attack first in next turn) and Stats RNG (How much dmg you will deal form 1-5 or EVA/HEAL get) in same battle, cuz every time you must just hope and pray that after you pick two healing moves cuz your HP is fuckin 1 you will get at least one good heal and won't be followed by attack which will deal more dmg than you have healed or have in general (10dmg = death).
He resolved one issue and created new ones. It's unintuitive that stance is something that changes with every action but doesn't match the damage of a card, and the buffs/debuffs are all 1 turn abilities when you only have at most 2 actions available makes them useless. Enemy attacks can occur in any of the 3 action slots of a turn, so you have no way of planning what stance you want to begin or end a turn in, or a way to recover when trapped in a "bad" stance. Previously there was a speed stat. Give everyone a speed stat that determines the number of actions they can take per turn, and highest always goes first unless stunned. A little flavor text and good character design could convey who should be able to get the first move off. The cards that raise dodge could also increase speed. Stance is set at the beginning of a turn, but keep the damage modifiers the same. Only a few cards can change stance midturn and they take up an action slot you could use for an attack card.

Reactions: Bulbanych

cptkleenex

Jun 23, 2018
Now that it's a VN, conditionals and branching narrative are easier than ever. Why not keep the backstory options and character creation? Corruption can be as simple as a single value affected by cutscene choices. Give dialogue a neutral, corrupt, and "chaste" version. Give some consequence to being too corrupt or being too much of a prude.
For how much people shit on generic RPGM games sometimes, the benefit they often have over standard VN's is the illusion of player agency. I can choose with what quests to engage. I can choose what character or fetish to pursue. Despite how limited a world may be, it's my decision in how I interact with it.

VN's take a lot more talent to craft something that gives that same feeling because now you have to guide it instead of just leave it in the hands of the player to interact with your world. Like the Lilith games sell themselves based on the artwork but do you really feel part of the world when your choices are, "So I say, but...." and "Assertively!". Wait, where are either of these options leading me? How will this impact the world? But on the other end of the spectrum you have something like "Our Red String" where your decisions feel weighty and you see their logical outcome later on.

Had this game started as a VN, I think it would have occupied the same lane as something like a Lilith game on the back of inarguably fantastic artwork no matter how its story was presented. But it started as something else. Was it grindy to get the scenes you wanted? Yes. But it was grindy for the scenes YOU wanted, which made it feel different.

Ambrosiaenjoyer

Jul 11, 2023
Wow what a different game this became... I really liked 0.13.1 but this is just a VN with hardly any choices. This feels like too many ideas and not enough substance behind them. The artwork is absolutely amazing tho, hopefully something decent comes out of it.

Reactions: fraazx
2.40 star(s) 158 Votes