JYPGames

Game Developer
Sep 1, 2020
I'm sorry that a lot of you feel very negatively about this. At the end of the day, this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I wasn't too satisfied with the mechanics of the game, along with a lot of the earlier scenes as they felt "rushed" since I wanted something out every week or two (there was a point when this was the case). After spending more months in development, I learned that taking my time and not trying to rush content is the best and healthiest way to maintain quality updates.

This is my own personal project and my hobby. I'm doing this for myself because it's fun and interesting working on Scarlet Law. I have nothing but the utmost gratitude for the people who support Scarlet Law, but I think that if a developer ever loses that "passion" they have for their game, they'll stop working on it, the same way a lot of others games (or hobbies) end up dying. I can't help but imagine that the big developers who suddenly stop updating their game or are making a new game feel this way. I personally think they just lost their passion and wanted to do something new. Honestly, I can't blame them.

That being said, Scarlet Law is not like that at all. I'm still 100% motivated to continue the project. I haven't run out of ideas, and the ending is basically set in stone. I'm already excited about making a sequel for when Scarlet Law ends. This new reboot opens up a lot of opportunities for me to be more creative and keep the game more interesting and visually appealing (at least to me). In my mind, I want the universe of Scarlet Law to be immersive for the player, and I think making the game as a sandbox will do that. I also feel as though I'm learning more about how code works compared to the state of the game from before. I don't think it'll take THAT long to reach the story where we were before, but we'll see how things progress.

I'm really disappointed to hear some of your comments since I worked really hard on this update. I also think the game looks much better than before. To be honest, I've been hesitant about rebooting the game because of backlash. But after communicating with my Patrons for a few months about re-making the game/fixing some of the older scenes, all of them (as far as the ones who said anything) have been supportive of it. No one said anything of disdain, and I've only heard positive things about what I planned on doing forward. It made me realize how much more potential the game could have, rather than the predictable get 10 affection to see a scene sort of deal.

If I lost you, I apologize and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in finding your dream game. But if you're willing to stick around, I'm sure there are some positives that you'll see in the coming months of the game. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. -JYP

hetzen

Feb 18, 2021
i cant even get the map up it crashes on me o well will find something else to play
if your problem is "map not available now" its not an error you must go out from living room to street first in order to use map

Falkfisch

Aug 10, 2018
All of this may have its justification for you, but the fact is, before you've turned your game back into beta with no significant content, his fans liked it the way it was ...
It is also a fact that a map, no matter how simple, exudes more flair and simply looks better than these little pictures that now seem so carelessly clapped ...
In addition, the "old apartment" exuded more cosiness and warmth than the current apartment.
I also have no idea which of your patrons you consulted with, but it would have been smarter if you had prepared your fans for a slightly longer break and had started the reboot with at least three quarters of the original content ...
The idea with the flowers, on the other hand, is good, but the tax is superfluous, it only tempts you to cheat ...
and how the console or a save is opened, everyone knows by now ...
Maybe I'll have a look again when the current status of the plot has been reached again, you can note it in the changelog or in the dev notes

until then, see you ...

ShadowFireBFG

Sep 10, 2020
I'm sorry that a lot of you feel very negatively about this. At the end of the day, this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I wasn't too satisfied with the mechanics of the game, along with a lot of the earlier scenes as they felt "rushed" since I wanted something out every week or two (there was a point when this was the case). After spending more months in development, I learned that taking my time and not trying to rush content is the best and healthiest way to maintain quality updates.

This is my own personal project and my hobby. I'm doing this for myself because it's fun and interesting working on Scarlet Law. I have nothing but the utmost gratitude for the people who support Scarlet Law, but I think that if a developer ever loses that "passion" they have for their game, they'll stop working on it, the same way a lot of others games (or hobbies) end up dying. I can't help but imagine that the big developers who suddenly stop updating their game or are making a new game feel this way. I personally think they just lost their passion and wanted to do something new. Honestly, I can't blame them.

That being said, Scarlet Law is not like that at all. I'm still 100% motivated to continue the project. I haven't run out of ideas, and the ending is basically set in stone. I'm already excited about making a sequel for when Scarlet Law ends. This new reboot opens up a lot of opportunities for me to be more creative and keep the game more interesting and visually appealing (at least to me). In my mind, I want the universe of Scarlet Law to be immersive for the player, and I think making the game as a sandbox will do that. I also feel as though I'm learning more about how code works compared to the state of the game from before. I don't think it'll take THAT long to reach the story where we were before, but we'll see how things progress.

I'm really disappointed to hear some of your comments since I worked really hard on this update. I also think the game looks much better than before. To be honest, I've been hesitant about rebooting the game because of backlash. But after communicating with my Patrons for a few months about re-making the game/fixing some of the older scenes, all of them (as far as the ones who said anything) have been supportive of it. No one said anything of disdain, and I've only heard positive things about what I planned on doing forward. It made me realize how much more potential the game could have, rather than the predictable get 10 affection to see a scene sort of deal.

If I lost you, I apologize and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in finding your dream game. But if you're willing to stick around, I'm sure there are some positives that you'll see in the coming months of the game. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. -JYP
i have to ask you though in no uncertain terms, why did you downgrade the movement system and add the "intentional bad game design, known as the waifu tax?
it seems to me you forgot the first rule of sandbox when you rebooted, "freedom of player choice must be present" since you now have to grind money to afford to play the game without being able to save up for house upgrades/new contracts
its like you did no quality control whatsoever, no playtesting, and maybe listened to the good idea fairy, which only gives bad ideas but in a way that some people think they are good.
and i will say i really liked what was there before the reboot it was in my top 3 games i was waiting for updates on
i played the first version posted here and it was never ever as clunky and unfun as it is now.
now it literally requires cheating for fun to be had but seriously releasing a reboot in this state was an iq < shoe size play, you did it you gotta live with your own bad decisions

Last edited:

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
What I don't get is that nearly everyone here has been disappointed by these changes but a handful of mystery patrons were all for it. So they were more than happy to have paid or for a games development just to have it scrapped, effectively making their payments completely meaningless?

I only found this one last update so it was still in the evaluation stage for me, to decide whether I wanted to support it or not. In a way I'm glad it happed now before I spent any money on this. But as it is I can only be frustrated and in that sense I very much am.

ShadowFireBFG

Sep 10, 2020
All of this may have its justification for you, but the fact is, before you've turned your game back into beta with no significant content, his fans liked it the way it was ...
It is also a fact that a map, no matter how simple, exudes more flair and simply looks better than these little pictures that now seem so carelessly clapped ...
In addition, the "old apartment" exuded more cosiness and warmth than the current apartment.
I also have no idea which of your patrons you consulted with, but it would have been smarter if you had prepared your fans for a slightly longer break and had started the reboot with at least three quarters of the original content ...
The idea with the flowers, on the other hand, is good, but the tax is superfluous, it only tempts you to cheat ...
and how the console or a save is opened, everyone knows by now ...
Maybe I'll have a look again when the current status of the plot has been reached again, you can note it in the changelog or in the dev notes

until then, see you ...
my theory is that if he at all consulted patrons it was literally only asskissers who dont know what constructive criticism is or simps

cabd

Feb 16, 2020
I mean, I think a rework is fine, if unfortunate in timing and such.

I'm cautiously optimistic that it is something where "re-implementing" updates should go a lot faster. My advice would be to focus on getting back to where you were sooner rather than later, though.

Not giving up outright. NB4 flower lady ends up as Judith to keep up the "blatantly name my NPCs after Tales of Vesperia party members" theme.

jclosed

Dec 3, 2019
Oh dear.. Reading about "waifu tax" looks to me as if expanded grinding is the main objective of this game development now. I don't care about a bit (or even decent amount) of grinding, but if it becomes the main objective or even the core play of the game (like it seems to become now), then I have better things to do with my time.
As said before - I will wait until the game is at the same stage as before the reboot, and then give it a another chance. But if the above is true, and grinding has become the overall core mechanic, I am afraid the game is not for me (and I am not even talking about the MC, but yeah..).

Tyr Unchained

Sep 23, 2019

Fun drinking game for everybody. Take a shot every time the Dev says "I want" or "I think" in the post. There are 4 phrases in total addressing what others want (mainly his Patrons) and the rest is just a narcissist talking about what he wants and plans - not what his audience wants. Also - it's not that we're disappointed in him and he should maybe apologize for his previous comments and his lack of communicating the upcoming reboot. No-no. The Dev is disappointed in us because he worked so very hard and we - the ungrateful plebeians - don't appreciate his vision. :ROFLMAO:
What a joke.

Master Alaric

Jul 12, 2018

My thing that I dislike of the reboot is the tax and more forced grinding just to get to a fraction of where we got to before! (that, and the fact that I have to throw all my progress and hard work out the window for someone whom doesn't care to use cheats). I'm all for an open sandbox game, but honestly... the taxing junk needs to be taken out and either more return for the grind or the grind cut in half.
And this is coming from someone who has played all the sandbox games that have gotten "abandoned" on here and a few other websites. No one wants to play a high grind game that goes almost nowhere for your efforts.

AlexTorch

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2017
I wonder why change something that was good, yeah, the older version have his problems, but was funcional, now the dev are re-doing everything in a system that is worst, now we have still to grind for everything again, but also, you need to keep grinding for that stupid tax (now we have tax in a fucking game too) is a stupid way to prolong the game when you don't have content, there was some improvements, but overall, this reboot was a shot in the foot, i have no idea who is the "patreons" that he have talked with this (if anyone) but anyone that play a game and have a fucking brain know that you play something to have fun, and i have no fun in doing the exact same shit over and over pay that stupid tax. Those that give this suggestion to " prevent the burnout" are completely out of they mind.

Seveas

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't tried this reboot yet, but I'm open about the idea. However, I truly hate overly grindy game mechanics, I don't get any satisfaction from repeatedly doing exactly the same thing and it's just a big waste of my time. If cheats are available I will certainly use them.
Also, I will wait for a long time before I give this reboot a try so that things can progress somewhat. Hopefully things will have changed to the better at that point.
Good luck to the dev.

Reactions: Master Alaric

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
My thing that I dislike of the reboot is the tax and more forced grinding just to get to a fraction of where we got to before! (that, and the fact that I have to throw all my progress and hard work out the window for someone whom doesn't care to use cheats). I'm all for an open sandbox game, but honestly... the taxing junk needs to be taken out and either more return for the grind or the grind cut in half.
And this is coming from someone who has played all the sandbox games that have gotten "abandoned" on here and a few other websites. No one wants to play a high grind game that goes almost nowhere for your efforts.
I wonder why change something that was good, yeah, the older version have his problems, but was funcional, now the dev are re-doing everything in a system that is worst, now we have still to grind for everything again, but also, you need to keep grinding for that stupid tax (now we have tax in a fucking game too) is a stupid way to prolong the game when you don't have content, there was some improvements, but overall, this reboot was a shot in the foot, i have no idea who is the "patreons" that he have talked with this (if anyone) but anyone that play a game and have a fucking brain know that you play something to have fun, and i have no fun in doing the exact same shit over and over pay that stupid tax. Those that give this suggestion to " prevent the burnout" are completely out of they mind.
It seems to me a mistake to include taxes in the game. I play because I like the story and the LIs and have to worry about having money to pay the imaginary taxes of the game is a bummer...

JYPGames, I have to say that I liked the game a lot, but I don't like taxes at all (I only see one ending, and everything that facilitates that due to an oversight I could have a bad ending annoys me enormously) I suppose that if one day you eliminate or make the taxes optional, I will play it again.

In any case, thanks for the game and good luck.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
why not just make the remilkmake a separate version rather than nuking the old one though?
Because it comes across that the Dev couldn't care less about other players of their game. "This is my own personal project and my hobby.", so it appears it "them" first, supporters second just for funding. I can't speak for the type of person the Dev is but the responses seem very self centered to me.

2.80 star(s) 51 Votes