Wankenobi

Nov 26, 2017
i loved the old version but i'll give the reboot a try, I hope it's worth to start from the beginning again. It's verry brave to choose a "making new" at this point, RESPECT!

Boldano

Nov 16, 2020
Admittedly I haven’t played the reboot yet but I can appreciate wanting to go back and spruce up the game to meet current standards. Unfortunate that we will have to wait a while for the reboot to catch up in content but if the dev feels they can make the whole thing feel smoother then I can’t complain too much.

However, I am already concerned with this “weekly tax” system if I am understanding it correctly. Sounds like I am deducted a certain amount of money each week and if I don’t have enough money I get a game over?

I would love to hear other people’s perspectives, but one of my favourite things about sandbox games is that I can go at my own pace and not worry about screwing up or missing content because I wanted to focus on some other part of the game and talk with the girls I like the most. These tax systems don’t feel great in sandbox games because it forces the player into a certain direction and stresses them out over game overs, punishing them for exploring in ways that a sandbox should encourage. Also, taxes tend to become irrelevant once the player gets a high income, just wasting time and not adding anything meaningful to gameplay (see Haramase Simulator). To be frank I’ve always felt that the money grind got a little too high in later parts of Scarlet Law, so I’m hoping taxes don’t exacerbate that.

Just food for thought, JYP. Love the characters and story but worried about pacing. Tax systems are good for business management games but go against what sandbox games stand for.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Admittedly I haven’t played the reboot yet but I can appreciate wanting to go back and spruce up the game to meet current standards. Unfortunate that we will have to wait a while for the reboot to catch up in content but if the dev feels they can make the whole thing feel smoother then I can’t complain too much.

However, I am already concerned with this “weekly tax” system if I am understanding it correctly. Sounds like I am deducted a certain amount of money each week and if I don’t have enough money I get a game over?

I would love to hear other people’s perspectives, but one of my favourite things about sandbox games is that I can go at my own pace and not worry about screwing up or missing content because I wanted to focus on some other part of the game and talk with the girls I like the most. These tax systems don’t feel great in sandbox games because it forces the player into a certain direction and stresses them out over game overs, punishing them for exploring in ways that a sandbox should encourage. Also, taxes tend to become irrelevant once the player gets a high income, just wasting time and not adding anything meaningful to gameplay (see Haramase Simulator). To be frank I’ve always felt that the money grind got a little too high in later parts of Scarlet Law, so I’m hoping taxes don’t exacerbate that.

Just food for thought, JYP. Love the characters and story but worried about pacing. Tax systems are good for business management games but go against what sandbox games stand for.
I don't know how this tax thing goes in the game. I have reached a point where the game warned that I should have money at the end of each week to pay taxes and that these would increase as you get more "slaves". I don't think I have even saved the game, I have closed it without wanting to know more. If taxes ever disappear I will come back, if not then I enjoyed the previous versions.

CrioGenix

Jul 20, 2019
I'm sorry that a lot of you feel very negatively about this. At the end of the day, this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I wasn't too satisfied with the mechanics of the game, along with a lot of the earlier scenes as they felt "rushed" since I wanted something out every week or two (there was a point when this was the case). After spending more months in development, I learned that taking my time and not trying to rush content is the best and healthiest way to maintain quality updates.

This is my own personal project and my hobby. I'm doing this for myself because it's fun and interesting working on Scarlet Law. I have nothing but the utmost gratitude for the people who support Scarlet Law, but I think that if a developer ever loses that "passion" they have for their game, they'll stop working on it, the same way a lot of others games (or hobbies) end up dying. I can't help but imagine that the big developers who suddenly stop updating their game or are making a new game feel this way. I personally think they just lost their passion and wanted to do something new. Honestly, I can't blame them.

That being said, Scarlet Law is not like that at all. I'm still 100% motivated to continue the project. I haven't run out of ideas, and the ending is basically set in stone. I'm already excited about making a sequel for when Scarlet Law ends. This new reboot opens up a lot of opportunities for me to be more creative and keep the game more interesting and visually appealing (at least to me). In my mind, I want the universe of Scarlet Law to be immersive for the player, and I think making the game as a sandbox will do that. I also feel as though I'm learning more about how code works compared to the state of the game from before. I don't think it'll take THAT long to reach the story where we were before, but we'll see how things progress.

I'm really disappointed to hear some of your comments since I worked really hard on this update. I also think the game looks much better than before. To be honest, I've been hesitant about rebooting the game because of backlash. But after communicating with my Patrons for a few months about re-making the game/fixing some of the older scenes, all of them (as far as the ones who said anything) have been supportive of it. No one said anything of disdain, and I've only heard positive things about what I planned on doing forward. It made me realize how much more potential the game could have, rather than the predictable get 10 affection to see a scene sort of deal.

If I lost you, I apologize and I wish you nothing but the best of luck in finding your dream game. But if you're willing to stick around, I'm sure there are some positives that you'll see in the coming months of the game. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. -JYP
Man i really choose the wrong career, i could have just became a h-game developer, the things that this people get away with, i mean 1600 dollars a month he can come out and say: "Hey, im going to start from scratch copy pasting the script (Literally word for word exactly the same) because i want to milk you all- i mean because i didnt like somethings about the game, i worked so haaaard im dissapointed about your comments" man i thought i was a dipshit but this? lmao, and his patreon would just keep growing, at much it would fall one or two hundred dollar and he gets to milk it 6 months more or even longer, with things like this or like waifu academy i have come to the conclusion that the people of patreon have room temperature IQ in general

Last edited:

SPEEDxxDEMON

Aug 10, 2019
you aint kidding there wasnt much to this reboot. just you buying out your moms and sis contract am i correct or is there more. because it tells me thats it for this update. Thanks

JMINATL

Aug 25, 2018
I played through it. The flowers and flower-seller are new, seemed like the same general story otherwise and a good bit of catching up to get to the same point left. Personally I'm fine with a reboot, hopefully the author can progress quickly re-using most of the same story and be in a better place.

On the complaints about taxation - taxes aren't my favorite balancing mechanic either. Grinding to progress is one thing, grinding for a treadmill mechanic (like taxes) I don't find particularly interesting. It sounds like taxes have been set low though, so this may be fine. One concern I will point out with them is that I can easily see an accidental game over when the player is just barely able to make a big purchase on the wrong day.

Best of luck on the reboot!

DiTo

Aug 31, 2018
The reboot does look better, but it is a bit of a bummer that we are more or less back to square one. It's probably going to take more than half a year to catch up to the original content (if we are lucky).

cabd

Feb 16, 2020
The solution here is probably to do a mix of catch up content while also sprinkling in things to provide new content for players that have indeed played the old version already and I think the developer showed hints of that in the first new release and I think it's going to be important for retention reasons to strike a good balance between catching up to where the story was and having new things to see to make patreons feel like they aren't paying for the same script twice.

As far as the tax system goes I would almost go the other direction and have a money cap to discourage grinding instead of a money tax which just forces a grind. If you really want to go with the tax system, presentation is everything. Structure it as a garnishment of wages from the getgo and just scale the work payments down accordingly instead of making an entire song and dance game over about it every weekend.

DrFree

Apr 23, 2019
i loved the old version but i'll give the reboot a try, I hope it's worth to start from the beginning again. It's verry brave to choose a "making new" at this point, RESPECT!
STUNNING AND BRAVE.
YASS, DEV, SLAYYYYYY.

Anyway, reading the notes... all the tags are fucking worng aren't they? Is there vaginal and oral sex in this new version already?

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
The biggest issue I honestly had with the game was a more simplistic one:
Was the story actually to be taken seriously, or is this more of a lighthearted apparoch with something more of a "generic" story backdrop, in the sense of "yeah, there is a story, but it's not important" - because from the writing that the version prior to the reboot had, I was honestly incapable of making this out for myself, when the game constantly sinewaved back and forth between "seriousness with deeply intertwined character stories" and "MAD MAD MAD MAD MAD".

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I played through it. The flowers and flower-seller are new, seemed like the same general story otherwise and a good bit of catching up to get to the same point left. Personally I'm fine with a reboot, hopefully the author can progress quickly re-using most of the same story and be in a better place.

On the complaints about taxation - taxes aren't my favorite balancing mechanic either. Grinding to progress is one thing, grinding for a treadmill mechanic (like taxes) I don't find particularly interesting. It sounds like taxes have been set low though, so this may be fine. One concern I will point out with them is that I can easily see an accidental game over when the player is just barely able to make a big purchase on the wrong day.

Best of luck on the reboot!
Well, to "avoid" the taxes it occurs to me to use an editor to make the MC incredibly rich so I never have to worry about it again. But that has the "problem" that it also eliminates having to get the money to buy the LIs (something that doesn't bother me, I'm here for the story and the LIs, not to spend the game days looking for money)

tunknownusert

Aug 3, 2020
Oh dear.. Reading about "waifu tax" looks to me as if expanded grinding is the main objective of this game development now. I don't care about a bit (or even decent amount) of grinding, but if it becomes the main objective or even the core play of the game (like it seems to become now), then I have better things to do with my time.
As said before - I will wait until the game is at the same stage as before the reboot, and then give it a another chance. But if the above is true, and grinding has become the overall core mechanic, I am afraid the game is not for me (and I am not even talking about the MC, but yeah..).
Just do what I do. If the dev wants to make their game a grindy pos, just alter the save file and that way you complete 1hr-2hrs of wasteful grinding in 10 seconds :)

tunknownusert

Aug 3, 2020
Well...fuck me for grinding like hell to have money to buy everything and have the game rebooted...I really hope that is for the best, because i will not grind the hell out of the game again to buy all the shit.
First mistake was actually grinding out the money. Fuck that noise. I hate games that add overly grindy mechanics to pad out the game length. Just alter the save file, takes a few seconds and boom you're now not rich but wealthy and set for the rest of the game on money. Never really understood why some devs feel the need to make their games into a grind'fest. Makes you really appreciate the devs of games which actively try to avoid doing this as they know your time is valuable and not something to be wasted.

2.80 star(s) 51 Votes